Just bought a Rift S over an HP Reverb - Page 4 - ED Forums
 


Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2019, 09:24 PM   #31
Gman109
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Western Canada
Posts: 354
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrohde View Post
Love my Reverb - what problems did you read about?

(also, the biggest problem with Oculus is that it's owned by faceyuck).

I can't tell if you're being serious or not. The initial Reverbs had so many issues that they pulled their launch after getting so many failed unit complaints, and went "comms dark" for weeks afterwards, suspending all sales, until they could get some of their stock "fixed".


I was an early adopter of the Reverb like a few others here. Like many, I had issues within days, the cable issue, screens going black issue, etc. Just read these forums alone, and you'll get the phone book of people having major issues, more with the "first gen/issued units", but even with the supposedly "fixed/new serial numbered units", there have been huge problems. I'm on Reverb number 3, and HP's warranty/customer service is in India mostly and has been a major PITA to deal with from my perspective.


So, to answer your question to the OP, I'm sure he read hundreds of posts here about Reverb issues, and if he went on Reddit or other places, thousands more. You're fortunate because you haven't had any issues, yet, but I'll be waiting for your posts when your cable fails.


I've owned every VR unit save the Xtal pretty much, and several of each as I have 4 gamers in my home a lot of the time. The 2 Index and 3 Rift S we're running have had no problems with hardware failures. The 3 Reverbs, 2 have had major problems, and I'm just waiting for the other shoe to drop on the 3rd one I'm using now.


Yes, we all know that the Reverb has superior resolution than all the other VR headsets right now, which is why I keep replacing ones that fail with a new one for my DCS gaming station. That said I certainly wouldn't fault anyone for buying the more reliable Rift S, which not only had that better reliability, but the operating environment is light years superior to having to work in Windows Mixed Reality. Ask any developer as well about working with the Occulus drivers compared to WMR/etc. Mucho el superioro.



I do agree that Face$$$k sucks, and that it's a shame they own Occulus now. It'd be great if the founder of Id software John Carmack was the sole owner and could take Occulus down a path all on his own...
__________________
Systems
Spoiler:

Primay DCS Systems (3): i9 9900k@5.0/2 2080tiNVlink/970Pro SSD/Asus PG27uq 4k@144hz/AlienWare 34" 2k@120hz/T50 Mon"geese"(2), 2 Virpil Wrbrd/CM2/Deltas, VKB GF2Revb(2)Tm Warthog(many)VKB Pedals/MFG Pedals/Slaw Pedals/Virpil Throttle/CH Fighterstick/Throttle/peds


VR-Rift S x2, Odyssey+, Reverb

Last edited by Gman109; 12-04-2019 at 09:34 PM.
Gman109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 10:03 PM   #32
Harlikwin
Veteran
 
Harlikwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Living rent free in your mind
Posts: 5,435
Default

So Gman,

Being in the failed reverb boat now (worked great for 3 months), any pro-tips on dealing with their CS? I just had my complaint escalated to their "Customer Care" division after they told me it would 2 MONTHS wait to get it replaced (after a 2 week wait already). They didn't like my proposed solution of you just send me a new one from your stock that you are selling for the holidays.

And since you've used em both, which is the best runner up to the Reverb, Index or RiftS? My current backup is my old CV1 but its pretty terrible going back to it.
__________________
New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)
Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).
Harlikwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 10:53 PM   #33
Gman109
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Western Canada
Posts: 354
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlikwin View Post
So Gman,

Being in the failed reverb boat now (worked great for 3 months), any pro-tips on dealing with their CS? I just had my complaint escalated to their "Customer Care" division after they told me it would 2 MONTHS wait to get it replaced (after a 2 week wait already). They didn't like my proposed solution of you just send me a new one from your stock that you are selling for the holidays.

And since you've used em both, which is the best runner up to the Reverb, Index or RiftS? My current backup is my old CV1 but its pretty terrible going back to it.

I wish I had some good advice to give you about HP customer service. I'm in Canada and eventually got a hold of someone IN Canada, but she wasn't able to help expedite matters much, although she gave me her direct line at least.


Just for interest sake, would you mind telling me if you Reverb that failed had a 932 or 931 serial number?


I feel your pain, I had to threaten to do a charge back with my credit card company with HP QA in order to move things along with replacement number 2, as they just couldn't believe it failed so quickly after the 931 serial number unit I had first. I waited about as long as you're going to (end of January now from your posts) to get the replacement for the replacement (3rd Reverb).

So far as calling a winner for a number 2 unit when Reverbs aren't available, it's a tough call. The Index IMO is better than the Rift S, but it also costs much less, $250 less if you get just the Index headset with no controllers/lighthouses, and about $800 less if you get the full Index package (full Index on Steam is nearly $1450 CAD after tax/shipping, while you can get a Rift S for 450$ recently on sale here including free shipping and 30 day no question returns). For those who can't afford the Index, the Rift S isn't a bad option at all, but if $ isn't an option, I absolutely would grab and Index first. The Index is by far the best quality built headset I've tried so far. If it had just a bit better Resolution, it'd be my pick over the Reverb even if I didn't have any "Reverb issues".
__________________
Systems
Spoiler:

Primay DCS Systems (3): i9 9900k@5.0/2 2080tiNVlink/970Pro SSD/Asus PG27uq 4k@144hz/AlienWare 34" 2k@120hz/T50 Mon"geese"(2), 2 Virpil Wrbrd/CM2/Deltas, VKB GF2Revb(2)Tm Warthog(many)VKB Pedals/MFG Pedals/Slaw Pedals/Virpil Throttle/CH Fighterstick/Throttle/peds


VR-Rift S x2, Odyssey+, Reverb
Gman109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 01:05 AM   #34
Harlikwin
Veteran
 
Harlikwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Living rent free in your mind
Posts: 5,435
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gman109 View Post
I wish I had some good advice to give you about HP customer service. I'm in Canada and eventually got a hold of someone IN Canada, but she wasn't able to help expedite matters much, although she gave me her direct line at least.


Just for interest sake, would you mind telling me if you Reverb that failed had a 932 or 931 serial number?


I feel your pain, I had to threaten to do a charge back with my credit card company with HP QA in order to move things along with replacement number 2, as they just couldn't believe it failed so quickly after the 931 serial number unit I had first. I waited about as long as you're going to (end of January now from your posts) to get the replacement for the replacement (3rd Reverb).

So far as calling a winner for a number 2 unit when Reverbs aren't available, it's a tough call. The Index IMO is better than the Rift S, but it also costs much less, $250 less if you get just the Index headset with no controllers/lighthouses, and about $800 less if you get the full Index package (full Index on Steam is nearly $1450 CAD after tax/shipping, while you can get a Rift S for 450$ recently on sale here including free shipping and 30 day no question returns). For those who can't afford the Index, the Rift S isn't a bad option at all, but if $ isn't an option, I absolutely would grab and Index first. The Index is by far the best quality built headset I've tried so far. If it had just a bit better Resolution, it'd be my pick over the Reverb even if I didn't have any "Reverb issues".
Yeah the Customer care person just called me (after I politely demanded it be elevated), so I'm hoping this will improve performance. I'm gonna write a guide for folks in the US dealing with HP at the end of it.



On other headsets, with the LCD panel ones is the "color depth" better on any of them?
__________________
New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)
Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).
Harlikwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 11:59 PM   #35
Wali763
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Austria
Posts: 105
Default

I bought both but sent both back.

I mainly sent the Rift S back because of the general shortcomings of VR like FOV, image quality, performance and easy of use.

After that I was a bit scared buying the Reverb because if all the initial problems it had. And I hoped for everything to be better...

But when I got it, the real problem was cromatic abberation for me. Also towards the middle many lines were not one single color but two. Even the DDIs in the Hornet had that. I dont know, but maybe my IPD if 67 caused this.

Installing WMR was a mess too...

In retrospective out of those two the Rift S was the better choice.

Im still playing on a monitor and its very nice. When I decide to try VR once more, Ill probably get the Index for the FOV and IPD-adjustment. Or maybe something newer that gets released in the meantime.

If Id have to decide today, Id go for the Rift S (or Quest with the link). No WMR for sure. Way to complicated and ecperimental... But that seems to generally hold true for VR in DCS.
__________________
Win 10, I5-9600K, RTX2070S, 32GB Ram, 2x 512GB SSD (one .M2 exclusivly for DCS), Rift S, TrackIRpro 4, TM Warthog, VKB T-Rudder Mk IV
Wali763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 01:48 AM   #36
Wmacky
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: USA Florida
Posts: 186
Default

I'm getting ready to punish myself and preorder the Pimax 8KX! HP resolution but with a wider sharp sweetspot and massive FOV. Supposed to have much better color too.


Really frightened to deal with Pimax CS if there is an issue, but could be be much worse the HP "India" support?


Why can't the best headsets com from the best companies? I can't ever see faceculas releasing nitch, cutting edge, high performance HMD's!
Wmacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 03:32 AM   #37
Woody01
Member
 
Woody01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 119
Default

It was down to the Rift S or Reverb for me. I went with the Reverb and not just for the resolution. The important factors for me were Facebook - I wont support it if at all possible, halo design on the Rift S not preferred personally, vents on the Reverb (That seem to keep fogging down amazingly well for me) and obviously the better resolution of the Reverb, sound too as the Reverb has speakers like the CV1 I had previously and poorer sound quality of the Rift S piped sound.

I found the WMR/Steam setup very easy though admittedly its not as good as Oculus, still I have had zero problems with it and zero problems with the Reverb. For me it was a great decision. A lot of all this is down to personal preference.
Woody01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 06:25 PM   #38
Harlikwin
Veteran
 
Harlikwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Living rent free in your mind
Posts: 5,435
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody01 View Post
It was down to the Rift S or Reverb for me. I went with the Reverb and not just for the resolution. The important factors for me were Facebook - I wont support it if at all possible, halo design on the Rift S not preferred personally, vents on the Reverb (That seem to keep fogging down amazingly well for me) and obviously the better resolution of the Reverb, sound too as the Reverb has speakers like the CV1 I had previously and poorer sound quality of the Rift S piped sound.

I found the WMR/Steam setup very easy though admittedly its not as good as Oculus, still I have had zero problems with it and zero problems with the Reverb. For me it was a great decision. A lot of all this is down to personal preference.
The fogging thing is actually quit significant, having recently gone back to the CV1 I forgot how bad that was. Honestly I always thought that the Reverb was actually an occulus product to start and they sold it to HP since they wanted to focus on "low-end" VR...
__________________
New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)
Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).
Harlikwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 01:05 AM   #39
donkeyrider
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 193
Default

I'm new to VR and my Rift S just arrived this week.

I'm completely blown away just how good the VR experience is in DCS. The cockpit is truly 3D and the sensation of flight is second to none.

there are a couple of issues I'm working through: I'm not sure whether the resolution is poor or whether it's a result of not wearing my reading glasses.

Then there is the narrow field of view, plus having to really turn your head to see behind you. This compares to just moving it slightly in TrackIR which is much easier.

Most importantly getting over the motion sickness will be the biggest challenge.

It did make me think whether I should have gone for the Reverb or some other high end VR headset. The main reason for the Rift S was that it was the cheapest option plus it didn't seem to require a high end machine (I just run a 1080 card). I'm okay to invest the $$ into it but since I hadn't tried VR at all, I felt the Rift S was the easiest way to try and if it wasn't for me, then the $$ wasted wouldn't have been too bad.
donkeyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 01:08 AM   #40
Sniper175
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 683
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by donkeyrider View Post
I'm new to VR and my Rift S just arrived this week.

I'm completely blown away just how good the VR experience is in DCS. The cockpit is truly 3D and the sensation of flight is second to none.

there are a couple of issues I'm working through: I'm not sure whether the resolution is poor or whether it's a result of not wearing my reading glasses.

Then there is the narrow field of view, plus having to really turn your head to see behind you. This compares to just moving it slightly in TrackIR which is much easier.

Most importantly getting over the motion sickness will be the biggest challenge.

It did make me think whether I should have gone for the Reverb or some other high end VR headset. The main reason for the Rift S was that it was the cheapest option plus it didn't seem to require a high end machine (I just run a 1080 card). I'm okay to invest the $$ into it but since I hadn't tried VR at all, I felt the Rift S was the easiest way to try and if it wasn't for me, then the $$ wasted wouldn't have been too bad.
Welcome to the new world, also get a buttkicker will even further enhance the vr
__________________
I7-8700 @5GHZ, 32GB 3000MHZ RAM, 1080TI, Rift S, ODYSSEY +. SSD DRIVES, WIN10
Sniper175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT. The time now is 01:09 PM. vBulletin Skin by ForumMonkeys. Powered by vBulletin®.
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.