Would you pay for a VR optimised F-14?

GunSlingerAUS

I've posted this before but it's an answer for better labels. The only problem is it won't pass online play. Maybe somebody can mod it so it would pass.

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3303911/

What is the "Fixed Integrity Check error on multiplayer servers" in the description of your linked file

supposed to mean then? Serious question.

Kind regards,

Snappy

That you particularly loose fps when looking at a certain part in the cockpit, is really odd. Could you maybe provide us with a track and logs - just a very short one? We'll take a look and maybe we find something.
Actually, this is true for me too. When I look at the TID, my frame rates drop to 20 in VR. Looking straight ahead or moving my head left to right (over the ocean) it'll maintain 40. I7-8700 @4.5ghz/32gb RAM/1070/Rift S. I always figured it was because of the heavy textures in the cockpit.

How would i send a track & log files? Sorry, dcs noob!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

I've posted this before but it's an answer for better labels. The only problem is it won't pass online play. Maybe somebody can mod it so it would pass.

The author has fixed it and ot passes IC. Are you installing it correctly in the Saved Games folder and using the special option HB implemented to pick the custom cockpit?

What is the "Fixed Integrity Check error on multiplayer servers" in the description of your linked file

supposed to mean then? Serious question.

Kind regards,

Snappy

It means exactly what it says, the mod works in MP if you install it correctly. Been using it for ages without issues.

As for FPS, in general I have no FPS issues in the F-14 in VR.

However I do have occasional issues with random 5min of horrible FPS then back to normal in MP. I expect this is due to some temporary high server load e.g. lots of units moving at once rather than the cockpit not being optimised (after all it mostly works fine).

But that does to me indicate that something about the F-14 is leaving me less system overhead to handle these situations, because this never happens in any other aircraft.

One more thing, never fly the F-14 after another plane and avoid back to back sorties. DCS seems to store stuff in memory and is really bad at clearing it. I always restart DCS before a Tomcat sortie, because when I don't that's when I'm far more likely to get problems. Also loading the cockpit again after being in F10 map sometimes takes a while and tanks FPS for a bit.

Again, this to me does not look like a "cockpit not optimised for VR" issue, more that the module as a whole is just a bit more of a system hog than others, which may be justified given the complexity.

Edited by VC

VC

=X51= Squadron is recruiting!

X51 website: https://x51squadron.com/

Join our Discord: https://discord.gg/d9JtFY4

Odyssey+ on a standard 1070. No issues here. I get 45+ FPS.

Make sure you aren't over doing the PD / Super Sampling (eventually you get diminished returns in FPS and spotting ability) and trying to push the shadows. That will kill you.

Strike

USLANTCOM.com

stepped_with_391_new_small.png

i7-9700K OC 5GHz| MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON | 32GB DDR4 3200 | GTX 3090 | Samsung SSD | HP Reverb G2 | VIRPIL Alpha | VIRPIL Blackhawk | HOTAS Warthog

Odyssey+ on a standard 1070. No issues here. I get 45+ FPS.

Make sure you aren't over doing the PD / Super Sampling (eventually you get diminished returns in FPS and spotting ability) and trying to push the shadows. That will kill you.

That doesn't sound very good. I get 120fps with a 1060 6g card in the Hornet.

Buzz

In VR or monitor? 120fps in vr is far fetched but on a monitor yes I get 120fps on my 1060 6g.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

? I thought we were talking about VR?

If you are getting 120fps in your VR now, then not only you have nothing to worry about with any module DCS throws at you over the next decade, you probably should lend your machine to physicists to let them run their models in yoru spare time. Speed up science 10000x!

OTH, I was getting 160+ fps easy in 2D on my 4K 4 years ago, with all settings maxed out. In VR, I learned to live with 45 fps.

? I thought we were talking about VR?

If you are getting 120fps in your VR now, then not only you have nothing to worry about with any module DCS throws at you over the next decade, you probably should lend your machine to physicists to let them run their models in yoru spare time. Speed up science 10000x!

OTH, I was getting 160+ fps easy in 2D on my 4K 4 years ago, with all settings maxed out. In VR, I learned to live with 45 fps.

Sarcasm becomes you.

Buzz

Hey IronMike

Thanks again for your reply - it's specifically when I look down vertically from the HUD, so that the cockpit fills almost all of my screen. I think it may have to do with the TV system being enabled, as when it's off the fps drop is only approximately 10%. I'll try to get a track for you in the next few days. It's also not so bad when I have textures set to low, which I believe uses lower res textures for the cockpit?

And just to reinforce my praise for you guys - the Tomcat is by far the best aircraft in DCS , and I don't expect it to work perfectly in VR as all aircraft have issues using VR. It's just that the beautifully detailed F-14 cockpit seems to cause further performance issues on top of the existing VR performance issues. I would still wholeheartedly recommend this module for all DCS flyers.

Intel 11900K/NVIDIA RTX 3090/32GB DDR4 3666/Z590 Asus Maximus motherboard/2TB Samsung EVO Pro/55" LG C9 120Hz @ 4K/Windows 10/Jotunheim Schiit external headphone amp/Virpil HOTAS + MFG Crosswind pedals

Hey IronMike

Thanks again for your reply - it's specifically when I look down vertically from the HUD, so that the cockpit fills almost all of my screen. I think it may have to do with the TV system being enabled, as when it's off the fps drop is only approximately 10%. I'll try to get a track for you in the next few days. It's also not so bad when I have textures set to low, which I believe uses lower res textures for the cockpit?

And just to reinforce my praise for you guys - the Tomcat is by far the best aircraft in DCS , and I don't expect it to work perfectly in VR as all aircraft have issues using VR. It's just that the beautifully detailed F-14 cockpit seems to cause further performance issues on top of the existing VR performance issues. I would still wholeheartedly recommend this module for all DCS flyers.

Ok, thanks for the feedback, bud. Let us keep following up on this, maybe there is a problem we did not discover yet and can fix it, at least I hope so.

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

• 2 weeks later...

I just discovered this thread. I had no idea the tomcat was such a resource hog. In the F-14 take off instant action mission I get a frame time of around 14 ms as soon as I enter the cockpit with my current settings according to steam VR.

Today I tried the hornet, which I have barely touched since the tomcat came out (and haven't tried in VR until today). In the hornet take off mission (with parked hornets next to me) with the same settings I get a frame time of 11 ms, a difference of nearly 30%. I was able to enable shadows and 2x MSAA and get the same frame time as the tomcat with all that disabled.

I have been struggling with the crappy framerate since I got VR thinking that something was wrong with my PC. I guess it was the tomcat this whole time.

it's specifically when I look down vertically from the HUD, so that the cockpit fills almost all of my screen. I think it may have to do with the TV system being enabled, as when it's off the fps drop is only approximately 10%.

Already tried setting cockpit displays res to 512 (not "every frame")?

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

Ok, thanks for the feedback, bud. Let us keep following up on this, maybe there is a problem we did not discover yet and can fix it, at least I hope so.

Hi IronMike,

i had similar issues. I have a Geforxe 970 GTX, 16GB Ram und used a oculus Rift CV1 (now i use a Oculus Quest with Link).

I also run into oerfirmance trouble when restarting the plane. For a few weeks we made 1vs1 duels over caucasus. With respawns after every round. I noticed that the performance got more worse when leaving the plan and spawn a new one. Like i loose performance (maybe Ram?) every time i respawn. I dont have that issues with the F18.

And i dont think we need a complete new variant. But maybe official cockpit textures which are more simplified and with higher readability? I tried to reduce resolution of Brickdusts Textures to 2k but mostl the text was not readable anymore. :(

Bit i also agree, the cockpit of the F14 need mich more ressources then of the F18.

The reason your FPS drops when you look down into the cockpit is increased raster pressure on your GPU.

Put simply; you're rendering more triangles, and more importantly in a deferred renderer: more, and more detailed, pixels. The cost per triangle and pixel on your screen is higher in the cockpit: mainly due to higher triangle density (versus something like terrain in DCS) and GPU cache coherency for textures that are so close to the camera is low.

We've just about eeked out as much performance as we can out of this level of fidelity.

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

• 3 weeks later...

Couple cents from my side as well. While in 2D the Tomcat is absolutely gorgeous, the experience in VR is less so.

Two main issues in having with it are cockpit visibility and performance. The cockpit visibility is about as terrible in VR as it is great in flat screen. The visibility of gauges and text is pretty poor and requires constant zoom. Additionally the cabin is pretty dark. It's a problem with many modules, but it's exaggerated due to overall poor readability.

Performance problem is more subtle. Tomcat allows for longer flights where I would sometimes hit the pause, take the headset off and take a short break. I noticed that if I do it on more than one occasion, each time I put the headset on, performance would degrade very noticably. It looks like a problem with PC / Renderer, but it only happens with F-14. Go figure.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Aorus B550 Pro | 32GB DDR4-3600 | RTX 4080 | VKB MGC Pro Gunfighter Mk III + Thustmaster TWCS + VKB T-Rudder Mk4 | HP Reverb G2

FC3 | A-10C II | Ка-50 | P-51 | UH-1 | Ми-8 | F-86F | МиГ-21 | FW-190 | МиГ-15 | Л-39 | Bf 109 | M-2000C | F-5 | Spitfire | AJS-37 | AV-8B | F/A-18C | Як-52 | F-14 | F-16 | Ми-24 | AH-64

NTTR | Normandy | Gulf | Syria | Supercarrier |

I'd pay for a VR optimized F-14D.

I am hoping for a cleaner official cockpit option for A and B.

Edited by Uxi

Specs & Wishlist:

Core i9 9900k 5.0Ghz, Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero, 64GB G.Skill Trident 3600, Asus RoG Strix 3090 OC, 2TB x Samsung Evo 970 M.2 boot. Samsung Evo 860 storage, Coolermaster H500M, ML360R AIO

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey+ WMR; VKB Gunfighter 2, MCG Pro; Virpil T-50CM v3; Slaw RX Viper v2

@pikey, What MOD are you refering to. I have a CV1 that I put down based on intial disappointment. I would like to try again and see if I can get more out of it.

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3304383/

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

The reason your FPS drops when you look down into the cockpit is increased raster pressure on your GPU.

Put simply; you're rendering more triangles, and more importantly in a deferred renderer: more, and more detailed, pixels. The cost per triangle and pixel on your screen is higher in the cockpit: mainly due to higher triangle density (versus something like terrain in DCS) and GPU cache coherency for textures that are so close to the camera is low.

We've just about eeked out as much performance as we can out of this level of fidelity.

Then there is a way to optimize the model grid to reduce triangles and pixels?

Im sorry but that answer is not very satisfying for me. Only the F14 cause that problems to me. When i switch to Huyes or F18 no problem. But switching to F14 gives me a huge performance drop and a longer waiting time until the cockpit is loaded and serious performance drops while flying it near the ground. I needed to reduce textures to low (making Huey unusable cause you cant read anything) just to fly the F14 whly flying F18 make no problems with medium texture settings.

So does the “Drunken Sailor “ VR cockpit mod pass IC in multiplayer yet?

Is there a big dif between the 2 mods?

Thanks

• Like 1

I9 (5Ghz turbo)2080ti 64Gb 3200 ram. 3 drives. A sata 2tb storage and 2 M.2 drives. 1 is 1tb, 1 is 500gb.

Valve Index, Virpil t50 cm2 stick, t50 base and v3 throttle w mini stick. MFG crosswind pedals.