Gazelle Flight Dynamics... Again.

Focha

I have no idea how the guys managed to climb inverted, I have never managed to do so in the DCS:SA342M. I also faced numerous times VRS where others stated there is none or people state that there is no groundeffect, although i certainly feel it start at 1 dics and getting more pronounced at 3/4 of a dics and increasing.

Tereare certain ways to test things, but as said before, please, I can only ask for patience. In the meanwhile I keep on working on a Polychop Skunkwork/ Phantomworks project.

And no, the name has no relationship to the project.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there are more than ONE guy stating that they flew it inverted and at least ONE person who says he was even able to climb in inverted flight.

Haven't seen any proof that it can climb inverted. Maybe for a brief moment using a speed you gained in a dive, but certainly not by just rotating and putting collective fully down.

The guys who flew it inverted (me included) did it while sinking. Though Gazelle can be kept inverted as long as you have altitude to loose and is fully controllable in this state.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

Thanks borchi-2b! Can't wait to see the outcome of this survey with the Gazelle pilots. I think everybody flying at BlackSharkDen would dream to be able to chit chat with Gazelle pilots (by the way, if one day you can do a live event with an IRL gazelle pilot where people can directly ask questions, you guys would be stars to all the community).

@Bitmaster: not sure I understood you well in your last post but are you assuming that real life helicopters can have negative blade pitch? Because they don't. That's an RC thing only.

@BaD CrC:

The idea of havng a live event with one of the french guys sounds like fun, but I doupt that this would be possible at all, cause we also have the responsibility to protect our sources, cause as stated before, some of the sources are active pilots that do fight in not so pleasent wars too.

Maybe in the future, the department I am talking too at the moment, could open up and do an interview. I can ask them but the first question will be like, what is this for and what questions do the people of the community have, plus in that case it is a real department of the army, not just a single pilot.

Maybe I could arrange a live event where some people of the community could be invited into the comms chat and this could be published as livefeed throught twich or so. This depends on the availability of the pilots. I can imagine that one of them might be willing to do such, but that would have to be planned and there would be some questions that are no goes, for example names, or missions the pilot has been active in or where he fought in general, stuff like that. So for such an event, if the pilot is willing to do such, this would require some planning.

For a different helicopter that I am working on I know that this livefeed and interview would defenately be possible, cause as soon the pilot, I am working with in that project, hears about that idea he is more then happy to go for it, I can imagine, plus, he is a good friend of mine.

BaD CrC, thanks for the inspiration for some cool marketing events possible to get closer ties to the community in the future again after all this silence.

Maybe the best question asked that day, wins a price. Have to see.

Ok, back to work, need to get something finished so it can go into coding.

Edited by borchi_2b

The idea of havng a live event with one of the french guys sounds like fun, but I doupt that this would be possible at all, cause we also have the responsibility to protect our sources, cause as stated before, some of the sources are active pilots that do fight in not so pleasent wars too.

Maybe in the future, the department I am talking too at the moment, could open up and do an interview. I can ask them but the first question will be like, what is this for and what questions do the people of the community have, plus in that case it is a real department of the army, not just a single pilot.

Maybe I could arrange a live event where some people of the community could be invited into the comms chat and this could be published as livefeed throught twich or so. This depends on the availability of the pilots. I can imagine that one of them might be willing to do such, but that would have to be planned and there would be some questions that are no goes, for example names, or missions the pilot has been active in or where he fought in general, stuff like that. So for such an event, if the pilot is willing to do such, this would require some planning.

For a different helicopter that I am working on I know that this livefeed and interview would defenately be possible, cause as soon the pilot, I am working with in that project, hears about that idea he is more then happy to go for it, I can imagine, plus, he is a good friend of mine.

BaD CrC, thanks for the inspiration for some cool marketing events possible to get closer ties to the community in the future again after all this silence.

Maybe the best question asked that day, wins a price. Have to see.

Ok, back to work, need to get something finished so it can go into coding. __________________

This is a wonderful idea!

Perhaps you could just submit questions to a pilot and post the answers as a text file. No live feed at all. This way, we could ask a few questions and you could choose what to submit to the pilot.

The names and locations shall remain private!

Thank you!

Give my regards to Blinky! (I've missed him!):D

Hawkeye

"Yeah, and though I work in the valley of Death, I will fear no Evil. For where there is one, there is always three. I preparest my aircraft to receive the Iron that will be delivered in the presence of my enemies. Thy ALCM and JDAM they comfort me. Power was given unto the aircrew to make peace upon the world by way of the sword. And when the call went out, Behold the "Sword of Stealth". And his name was Death. And Hell followed him. For the day of wrath has come and no mercy shall be given."

This is a wonderful idea!

Perhaps you could just submit questions to a pilot and post the answers as a text file. No live feed at all. This way, we could ask a few questions and you could choose what to submit to the pilot.

The names and locations shall remain private!

Thank you!

Give my regards to Blinky! (I've missed him!):D

Hawkeye

Preferred method, seems we have a bad rep with the way some members treat actual Gazelle pilots, I'm sorry I just don't think a rinse and repeat with yet another pilot is in any way constructive.

Some observations form a V-PIT pilot. So I'll start with these.

As I understand it, in reality the Gazelle can not fly upside down. Maybe and I believe there is a photo in this (as well as directions to preform a roll in a Gazelle from a pilot) or a related thread of an actual Gazelle rolling through inverted.

I've seen the videos showing actual inverted flight and in that circumstance it appears to be either a "bug"or an exception or out of range condition not caught in the FM. Still trying to get into this mode. Research of course. :music_whistling:

Ground effect, well with the Gazelle loaded with crew and 70% fuel etc the Gazelle is borderline over weight AFAIK, when the fuel level gets down to 30% better still 20% ground effect appears to be modelled, more so at 2 to 3%. :) It may well be that at heavier loads the Gazelle is predominantly under-powered. That's how it feels.

Correcting attitude coming out of turns, well this seems variable and more dependent on SAS (AP?) to me the Gazelle SAS seems to to attempt to hold the attitude you set handy if you want to aim missiles of guns at a specific target. The same as with SAS off and just flying the Gazelle it seems to have a greater degree of control albeit you need to provide the necessary control inputs. In other words the Gazelle in the correct conditions is a versatile and agile platform. I do think however at 150Kph it should with SAS off always windmill into direction of flight. I didn't really realise it but I just corrected and continued on flying.

The spinning thing I think I can get into this and maybe it's unrealistic after a point maybe something not caught in processing. But this shouldn't be confused with the ability to turn or even spin to a degree given it is an agile bird.

The express elevator down. Well I generally try to fly within the envelope but you can drop at an extraordinary rate and seemingly just stop and fly horizontal. I have been in an L39 doing a "strike run" and the G forces where awesome and prolonged, the pilot said he was being gentle with me. Stick time in that was awesome too. ;)

Don't get me wrong I actually do enjoy flying the Gazelle and when lightly loaded with SAS turned off hovering feels very similar to the R44. In my very limited limited experience, just the way the Gazelle tries to get it's own way and the way it (V-SIM and rift) responds to corrections.

:thumbup:

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

• 4 months later...

Not trying to get on anyone's nerves here, but is any progress being made on this flight model?

I like the helicopter itself but as others have mentioned it's got some glaring issues. It's been a pretty long time since release but I haven't seen much in the way of changes to the flight model.

Willing to wait patiently but would like to see some occasional progress even if small and in bits and pieces over time.

Any news?

Not trying to get on anyone's nerves here, but is any progress being made on this flight model?

I like the helicopter itself but as others have mentioned it's got some glaring issues. It's been a pretty long time since release but I haven't seen much in the way of changes to the flight model.

Willing to wait patiently but would like to see some occasional progress even if small and in bits and pieces over time.

Any news?

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3241081&postcount=1

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
Is it so difficult to make a correct flight model for a helicopter?

Well i agree with the idea of the Gazelle flight model not being fluid like other helicopter models, but this statement is just bold... How many flight models have you coded for flight sims?

Link to my Imgur screenshots and motto

http://imgur.com/a/Gt7dF

One day in DCS... Vipers will fly along side Tomcats... Bugs with Superbugs, Tiffy's with Tornado's, Fulcrums with Flankers and Mirage with Rafales...

:)The Future of DCS is a bright one:)

Well i agree with the idea of the Gazelle flight model not being fluid like other helicopter models, but this statement is just bold... How many flight models have you coded for flight sims?

Well I could answer; how hard is it to ask pilots for advice on how a helicopter should fly?

Well I could answer; how hard is it to ask pilots for advice on how a helicopter should fly?

Very hard. That is why we are in this situation as they had real pilots feedback. And now they need to rework FM.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

If i use comparaison with cars and cars simulations.If I suppose most of us have already drive a car.Now how many among us are able to give a good advice for a particular model?Or simply how many can explain the difference to drive between a real GT car and a real DTM car.Surely nobody.But we are able to talk about that in a simulator.As like we do it here.

And it is useless.

Or simply how many can explain the difference to drive between a real GT car and a real DTM car.Surely nobody.But we are able to talk about that in a simulator.As like we do it here.

And it is useless.

Negative. The law of physics applies to both of them. You can judge from your limited car experience that there must something be wrong, when for example the DTM car doesn't slowly lose speed when you move your foot away from the accelerator (at a level road, without braking).

The same applies to fundamental behaviour of helicopters and airplanes.

Generally speaking, coding an helicopter FM is an order of magnitude more complex than a fixed wing. Imagine coding one big fix wing versus 2 or 4 (or 6 for the Ka50) rotating ones constantly changing Aoa and flexing. Add to that a propeller that pushes sideway (tail rotor). This adds some interesting consequences: vortex ring state, settling with power, loss of tail rotor effectiveness, dynamic rollover, retreating blade stall, in ground effect, effective transitional lift,... And of course a permanent unstability and 4 controls (cyclic, collective, thrust, rudder) that are intricately correlated. Things that FW pilots don't really need to worry about. Also the reason why there are so few (serious) choppers developments in flight sim. Very complex and people are a bit reluctant to spend weeks just to learn how to hover when you can be a maverick in a few days shooting missiles at migs.

Some explanations of Polychop here:

[FBV]_CmYg8WPDrw[/FBV]

Edited by BaD CrC

Generally speaking, coding an helicopter FM is an order of magnitude more complex than a fixed wing. Imagine coding one big fix wing versus 2 or 4 (or 6 for the Ka50) rotating ones constantly changing Aoa and flexing. Add to that a propeller that pushes sideway (tail rotor). This adds some interesting consequences: vortex ring state, settling with power, loss of tail rotor effectiveness, dynamic rollover, retreating blade stall, in ground effect, effective transitional lift,... And of course a permanent unstability and 4 controls (cyclic, collective, thrust, rudder) that are intricately correlated. Things that FW pilots don't really need to worry about. Also the reason why there are so few (serious) choppers developments in flight sim. Very complex and people are a bit reluctant to spend weeks just to learn how to hover when you can be a maverick in a few days shooting missiles at migs.

Some explanations of Polychop here:

I corrected your post, the link was between the FB marks and no between YT marks. :thumbup::joystick:

Chinook lover - Rober -

Is it so difficult to make a correct flight model for a helicopter?

Um... look up the term dunning kruger bro...

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

maybe you're right, in any case i hope the pilots' feedback can help them especially for things like helicopters and ww2 airplanes

French airforce Pilots feedback has been recieved regularly, since the module came out, all stating it's exactly like the real thing.

Commercial pilot feedback has also been recieved, stating the oposite.

Who do you want to believe?

Demonstrating flying the machine inverted, or without a cyclic, had no effect on the argument.

You don't need to be a pilot to understand the physics involved in aircraft flight.

I7 2600K @ 3.8, CoolerMaster 212X, EVGA GTX 1070 8gb. RAM 16gb Corsair, 1kw PSU. 2 x WD SSD. 1 x Samsung M2 NVMe. 3 x HDD. Saitek X-52. Saitek Pro Flight pedals. CH Flight Sim yoke. TrackIR 5. Win 10 Pro. IIyama 1080p. MSAA x 2, SSAA x 1.5. Settings High. Harrier/Spitfire/Beaufighter/The Channel, fanboy..