DCS: Mi-24P - What we know + Discussion

MrDieing

Same as always

According to las ED post on facebook about new A-10 cockpit I get a little sad... A-10 cockpit will be sooner than Ka-50 cockpit, every western aircraft will be sooner than eastern aircraft and everything will be sooner than Mi-24. I put my whole strength to not believe that is a purpose;)

Gazelle is a light armed scout helo. Not really a dedicated attack helo, even if it can be used to deliver the boom boom. What we lack is a Western heavy attack helo. Like the KA 50 or Mi 24. Big difference in not just capability but mission types.

On a side note, IIIRC the US army has retired it's light armed scout help (Kiowa), with role being taken up by Apaches and RPVs for now. I believe there is a competition ongoing for the us scout help role.

So funny how DCS world jets are so US/west centric/heavy but helps are East centric

Not really.

West : UH-1H; SA 342M,L

East : Mi-8; Ka-50

Both side attack & transport helo. With Mi-24, only one more for east.

The SA 342 is not an ED product.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

ED or others 3rd parties...

It's a fact that for the moment we have only one real attack helicopter : The Ka-50.

Others (Gazelle, UH-1, Mi-8 and even BO-105 or the possible Kiowa) can be equipped with different weapons systems but have limited capabilities.

The Mi-24 will normally be the second real attack helicopters in DCS and I can understand that some people are asking for a western attack helicopter.

The only one mentionned by Wags was the AH-1 but seems to be on "hold on" status.

For me it's a fact that attack helos were not the priority of ED.

12 years after the release of the KA-50 module, we are still waiting for another real attack helicopter.

The figures speak for themselves

DCS (or others) available helicopter modules : 4 :(

DCS (or others) available modern aircraft modules : more than 12

DCS (or others) WWII/Prop aircraft modules : 6 + Christen Eagle & YAK-52

So I really hope that ED will finally be able to start working on the successor of the KA-50 and that we can enjoy a real new attack helicopter.:thumbup:

My preference is clearly for the Mi-24 but the AH-1 could be a very intersting alternative.

Let's go for 2020 !

Edited by Razorback

KA-50 is the current only Attack helicopter, but all others are Combat helicopters as much as KA-50 is. While the Mi-8 would receive a western designation U as Utility helicopter, it is still a combat helicopter.

Even considering a Mi-8TV had AT missiles, it wasn't an attack helicopter, regardless it could perform such task at required.

The similar thing is with UH-1H and Gazelle etc. Combat helicopters but not attack helicopters. Not capable to perform a frontline attack or even defense, but capable support troops on ground and transport them with supporting capability.

Mi-24 is very much needed to fill the actual attack helicopter position,as KA-50 while it was meant to replace Mi-24 fleet, it became primarily as recon helicopter at first like our version in DCS is, more like what a OH-58 Kiowa is. But with armor.

KA-52 is more like actual attack helicopter, not because two pilots but because glass cockpit that KA-50 received too, but just didn't go too mass production.

And so on Mi-24 will be REDFOR only attack helicopter at release.

Same as AH-1 once it comes out as well for BLUFOR.

One day when we have AH-1S, UH-1H, Mi-24P and Mi-8MTv2, e real combat can start. And then OH-58 and KA-50 will be filling their roles as recon helicopters.

The Mi-24 greatness as gunship is that there ain't similar in BLUFOR side, but similar is with KA-50.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

01 Nov 19 : DCS WE News

"Mi-24: UV mapping of the pilot’s cockpit is almost done and then we will spend about a month working on the animations and textures. The flight model is near 80% complete"

The project is progressing and that's good news.:)

Thx to NineLine to forward such Update:thumbup:

This being a two-seat helicopter, any news regarding AI co-pilot when flying solo? If it can operate weapons like the AT-6 or make call outs for threats and such like a "Jeltsin AI"?

AFAIK its only Pilot + AI Gunner. Unfortunately there will be no Multicrew. Seems like they just cant get Multicrew useful enough for Clients.

"Blyat Naaaaa" - Izlom

AFAIK its only Pilot + AI Gunner. Unfortunately there will be no Multicrew. Seems like they just cant get Multicrew useful enough for Clients.

They said they'd get the Huey going first, then the Mi-8.

I guess that means they intend to get the Huey going first, then the Mi-8, and I guess after that the Mi-24P

Cheers.

Can you link me a source about this? It can be from Russian part of the forum too.

Since they're doing (testing even) multicrew I just don't find this to be true.

Helicopters don't fly, they just subdue the air.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

If Mil 24 is released without functional AI i am not buying it.

Same reason i have not bought Huey,Gazelle,Mi 8,or any other two seater(apart from F 14 who will have fully functional AI).

But that's just me:pilotfly:,although majority of the player base is in singleplayer.

What you have said about multi-crew aspect-I seriously doubt that is true.

What would be the point of buying it for anyone?Isn't DCS a study sim?

Same reason i have not bought Huey,Gazelle,Mi 8,or any other two seater(apart from F 14 who will have fully functional AI).

But that's just me

Well, definitely it's you, UH or Mi-8 don't have a need for multicrew at all, the only reason would be to be able to fly with your mates. UH indeed is a lot of fun to fly helicopter and you can control everything by yourself.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

Well, definitely it's you, UH or Mi-8 don't have a need for multicrew at all, the only reason would be to be able to fly with your mates. UH indeed is a lot of fun to fly helicopter and you can control everything by yourself.

S!

Of course it is me;i have said so in no uncertain term.

You have missed the point.

Without decent gunner AI you can not play Mil 24 in singleplayer at all.

If multicrew is not supported you can not play it in multiplayer either.

Guess it got lost in translation.

Without decent gunner AI you can not play Mil 24 in singleplayer at all
And IIRC there will be an AI gunner of course.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

they said in the russian forum that you can fly the helicopter completely from the front seat because the flight contorls are doubled and then you can also guide the ATGMs.

But there will also be an AI for the front seat if you fly from the rear seat

they said in the russian forum that you can fly the helicopter completely from the front seat because the flight contorls are doubled and then you can also guide the ATGMs.

But there will also be an AI for the front seat if you fly from the rear seat

Do you know will the AI be able to lead ATGMs on its own,if you choose to fly as a pilot exclusively?

Will you be able to call out specific targets to the AI to lock them up?

Anything about that on Russian forum?

Edited by Void78

This being a two-seat helicopter, any news regarding AI co-pilot when flying solo? If it can operate weapons like the AT-6 or make call outs for threats and such like a "Jeltsin AI"?

Here is old information about their AI

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3341529&postcount=1

That looks very interesting.

For the Mi-24 like Co-Op flight with AI, I would completely accept a slight cheat for telling the AI where to fly or where to target in such way that you would press button to open the intercom, and you would get a circle on your view (like a FC3 Su-27S, Mig-29S etc HMS ring) and you would use that to inform the menu system to what to say. Like if look at the right side and about 1km distance, the system would say over radio to AI "Look at 1'clock, one kilometer" kind way, where the directions are like in 10-15 degree accuracy and ranges are like "half a kilometer, kilometer, two kilometers" etc.

And this would be combined with the targets as well, so if there is a group of ground units, the circle has a small dot center of it. And that is what you use to point to the AI communication system the type you mean, so if there is 3 MBT, 9 IFV and one AAA in fairly tight formation, you can look the wanted unit or group (as the dot is single unit, circle is area/group) and command the AI to target that specific type, like a: "Two a clock, two kilometers, target that Shilka".

This kind system, while it can be for some too big "cheat", would completely replace the communication menu to go through lists like first open the "threat list" and then type, and then the correct one listed by the ranges etc. It would as well avoid the problem that the AI needs to spot all first before you can command it to target it or engage it, and if AI doesn't do it, then it says just "No Can Do", what feels stupid. As in real communication with other player you explain more accurately that where to look like: "Right side of that red building, about two hundred meters, next of the big rock". Something that you can't do in menu systems. So the "cheat" that you would spot the target, you would look at it and designate it with a dot would be just that, you explaining it to other player that where to look and what there is.

It would be so much easier to fly with the AI gunner to be able command it to look at general area, try to find target there, or to command it to target a specific kind target in the group, like the rightmost MBT in group. This is made automatic radio communication and then AI to do as you wanted.

And this works as well so that if you don't see something, you can't command AI to do something for it. So you would need to find it first, or then AI by its own logic, like above link.

And this system could allow you as pilot/gunner to command AI to do something for specific area on ground (like fly there, fly through that, land there, target there, search there, observe that area) or specific angle (relative to the aircraft) like "Turn 15 degree to right" or "Slide to the left".

It allows you to example command AI gunner to search target in specific area when you fly around the area or when ever that area is visible to the AI gunner. So if you pop-up behind trees, the AI gunner search that area and then keeps searching in that area the target. When doing multiple passes, you don't need to every time tell where to look or what to search as the AI would be "smart enough" to know that given area is the point of focus.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

I think that kind of implementation would be great and not much of a cheat because it approxmates the detailed instructions that a real pilot would be able to give his gunner.

Furthermore, I am really interested in how the heatblur guys solved this problem for the Jester AI and the LANTIRN pod for the F-14. Maybe this will be indicative of what we can expect in the Mi-24.

@kerberos

nice little vid.

it shows why you never fire rockets from a hover. your engines ingest all that black smoke and you crash :)

come on ED I want me some crocodile!!! :)

My Rig: AM5 7950X, 32GB DDR5 6000, M2 SSD, EVGA 1080 Superclocked, Warthog Throttle and Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Oculus Rift.