Determining Desired Altitude

glen.a.williamson

When I fly a predetermined desired route, I have no difficulty in finding and hitting my desired steer points .... except that I am never quite :pilotfly:sure what altitude I'm supposed to be flying at. Other than calling up the Steer Point information on the UFC, is there no other method, like a carret on the altitude tape or something equally simple, to show my desired altitude on the HUD?

Edited by glen.a.williamson

Meanwhile, you could follow some simple rules:

- If there are no long-range SAM threats, fly as high as possible to conserve fuel while maintaining adequate forward speed. I use Mach 0.75 as a ballpark cruise speed. The heavier and draggier you are, the lower you must fly to maintain this speed. Also consider that above 30k ASL you are immune to most short-range SAMs, including Strelas, TORs and Rolands.

- If there are airborne threats you want to hide from visually (especially online with human opponents) fly below or above contrail altitude. This means flying either under 24k feet or above 40k feet for regular conditions, but this could change depending on weather.

- When the approach to the target is heavily defended, you may need to fly NOE (nap-of-the-earth, hugging the ground) in order to evade SAMs or other aircraft. Beware this will consume a lot of fuel and leave you exposed to IR SAMs and MANPADS along the way.

We could talk in length about different flight profiles and its uses (HI-HI-HI, HI-HI-LO, HI-LO-HI etc) but that would be a subject for another day (maybe in a virtual bar drinking virtual beers?)

Cheers!

Edited by SFJackBauer

- If there are no long-range SAM threats, fly as high as possible to conserve fuel while maintaining adequate forward speed. I use Mach 0.75 as a ballpark cruise speed. The heavier and draggier you are, the lower you must fly to maintain this speed. Also consider that above 30k ASL you are immune to most short-range SAMs, including Strelas, TORs and Rolands.

- If there are airborne threats you want to hide from visually (especially online with human opponents) fly below or above contrail altitude. This means flying either under 24k feet or above 40k feet for regular conditions, but this could change depending on weather.

- When the approach to the target is heavily defended, you may need to fly NOE (nap-of-the-earth, hugging the ground) in order to evade SAMs or other aircraft. Beware this will consume a lot of fuel and leave you exposed to IR SAMs and MANPADS along the way.

We could talk in length about different flight profiles and its uses (HI-HI-HI, HI-HI-LO, HI-LO-HI etc) but that would be a subject for another day (maybe in a virtual bar drinking virtual beers?)

Cheers!

Hi, I'm very interested in the tactic application of different flight's profile (HI-HI-HI, HI-HI-LO, HI-LO-HI) can You start this "virtual beer", even in anthoer post? Thx.

Inviato dal mio BLA-L09 utilizzando Tapatalk

No altitude guidance in the F-16. The steerpoints are supposed to be on the ground like the Mirage 2000 so even that is unrealistic. Gotta look at the kneeboard for the flight plan.

Although rarely used you could set an altitude to each steerpoint. You can program that in the DTC or via the stpt settings in de DED.

When I fly a predetermined desired route, I have no difficulty in finding and hitting my desired steer points .... except that I am never quite :pilotfly:sure what altitude I'm supposed to be flying at. Other than calling up the Steer Point information on the UFC, is there no other method, like a carret on the altitude tape or something equally simple, to show my desired altitude on the HUD?

You won't get carets for speed or altitude unless you are in a cruise mode and I doubt those are installed yet. Works much like FPAS on the 18. As others have stated it is up to the pilot to manage altitude for normal waypoint movement.

there is a neat scratchpad mod that toggles like the kneeboard. there you can write anything. I mean anything!!

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi, I'm very interested in the tactic application of different flight's profile (HI-HI-HI, HI-HI-LO, HI-LO-HI) can You start this "virtual beer", even in anthoer post? Thx.

Inviato dal mio BLA-L09 utilizzando Tapatalk

IRL we have to stick with ATO / ACO published transit routes / transit corridors and assigned "flight levels" (altitude blocs) relative to Force QNH (unless we have AWACS clearance to change blocs).

Regards.

Cheers!

What a great explication! I am also interested knowing more about tactics (would like to invite you for a cold beer)

Cheers

Weasel

At a later point in time if you have free choice of altitude, you can use the ICP button 5 to go into the CRUS page to see optimal altitudes etc.

Lincoln said: “Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

Do not expect a reply to any questions, 30.06.2021 - Silenced by Nineline