Oculus Rift S With DCS World Discussion

Wags

:cry:

The is there are 2 IPD settings: DCS World and Rift S settings.

So I don't know what is best, set one or the other or both ?

IPD in DCS is something complete different to the IPD of the VR device.

IPD in DCS is more like a scaling factor. They should rename it, because it is really confusing.

SYSTEM: Mainboard MSI MEG X570 | CPU Ryzen 7 5800X @ 4.5 GHz | RAM 64 GB @ 3200 MHz | GPU GIGABYTE RTX 4090 | 1 TB SSD | Win 10 x64

DEVICES: ASUS 27" LCD | TrackIR 5 | LukeClip | Quest 3 | PointCTRL | Virpil HOTAS | MFG Crosswind | TableMount MonsterTech

MODULES: To much to list. But I stopped buying more, because of too much bugs in e.g. A-10C(II). @ED: Fix the bugs and I spend money on modules again. Promised.

PROJECTS: OpenFlightSchool: DE / EN

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IPD in DCS is more like a scaling factor. They should rename it, because it is really confusing.

that's right !! .. it's confusing but in the VR options of the DCS WORD, IPD SETTINGS is really a "world scale" with which to adjust the size of things to your real impression.

I have been so freaky as to take the size of the real cabin and try to replicate it in the DCS, for this and have taken the value to 45/46

but this is very personal, according to your impressions... I repeat, it is more the scale of everything in the DCS World

Edited by Werewolf_fs

I increased the IPD to 67mm, it´s a little better but I still see dubble HUD´s. But I try not to focus my eyes on the hud, just following the lines and markers on the HUD.

My recommendations that reduce the value do not increase it. Try values ​​between 55 and 40, the one that comes closest to your personal real scale

Still haven't got my Rift S setup perfect, but initial thoughts......wow

I had the DK2, ran it a week and sold it.......bought the CV1, ran it a day, sold it.....was nice to touch and feel the tech, but it wasn't ready for DCS at that point IMHO, let alone racing titles.

Tried my Rift S.....very impressed, surely it isn't a massive leap, but IMHO an important leap, it basically made the Rift worth using, so everything better than this in the future is worth actually looking at, and also the Rift S worth actually using now.

Happy, not for sale, not until a proper new "gen" VR system comes along anyway.....

Well I'll be darned! All this time I've had the IPD distance set at 65 which is my real IPD. I just had a play about with it and settled, for the time being, on 50. I've now got some elbow room! It may be my imagination but things seems to have sharpened up graphically as well.

Still haven't got my Rift S setup perfect, but initial thoughts......wow

I had the DK2, ran it a week and sold it.......bought the CV1, ran it a day, sold it.....was nice to touch and feel the tech, but it wasn't ready for DCS at that point IMHO, let alone racing titles.

Tried my Rift S.....very impressed, surely it isn't a massive leap, but IMHO an important leap, it basically made the Rift worth using, so everything better than this in the future is worth actually looking at, and also the Rift S worth actually using now.

Happy, not for sale, not until a proper new "gen" VR system comes along anyway.....

:thumbup:

I am with you there, been using mine daily since release and loving it - no muss no fuss and image clarity is quite good.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Well I'll be darned! All this time I've had the IPD distance set at 65 which is my real IPD. I just had a play about with it and settled, for the time being, on 50. I've now got some elbow room! It may be my imagination but things seems to have sharpened up graphically as well.

Did you change it in DCS or in the Oculus settings?

Asus ROG-STRIX Z390-F Gaming | I9-9900K | Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 32GB | Palit Nvidia GTX 1070 | Samsung 840 evo 250GB | Toshiba-TR200 240GB

Wish someone mentioned this before! I thought it had to do with eye ipd as well and never touched it. setting it to 50 and the scale seems much more realistic! same thoughts...now I have some elbow room and I don't stick my head through the canopy looking at my weapon stations now! lol

It’s weird.

With default setting and touch controllers, in the M-2000C I placed the virtual hands on the virtual cockpit HOTAS, and my real hands were perfectly in place.

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

Yes they really need to rename that option - I actually printed out a 1:1 scale front panel view of the F-14 and compared it by holding at same distance as VR panel and alternating between RL and VR to align the sizes of the panel, gauges, screens etc.- settled on 56, while my actual IPD is 60.

But then I find the Huey pit/pilot body seems a bit big, so swap back to 58 in that - not all pits are the same scale it seems.

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

not all pits are the same scale it seems.

Yeah that thing worries me. :noexpression:

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

If the modules are all built to a 1:1 scale as they should be, you shouldn't need to change the IPD for each module.

One aspect of the perception of the view is the location of the default cockpit viewpoint. It is very clear that they were placed wherever the developer felt would provide the best option for flying on a flat screen with limited vertical field of view. So the default views tend to be lower and/or angled more down than reality. I like to move the default view position so that my VR head is essentially in the same position as the VR pilot's head. With some aircraft, this makes a dramatic difference in what you see and how cramped you feel.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yes they really need to rename that option - I actually printed out a 1:1 scale front panel view of the F-14 and compared it by holding at same distance as VR panel and alternating between RL and VR to align the sizes of the panel, gauges, screens etc.- settled on 56, while my actual IPD is 60.

But then I find the Huey pit/pilot body seems a bit big, so swap back to 58 in that - not all pits are the same scale it seems.

AFAIK, those cockpit views are not the actual distance from where a pilot sits. At least they definitely weren't with regards to the Cessnas/Pipers I was learning to fly on. They were designed to just familiarize toy with the cockpit, the actual view you would see while flying was a lot closer. But maybe it is different for military aircraft?

I use an IPD of 64/65 in the F14 and it feels VERY similar to the view distance I saw in the Tornado I sat in. That's all I have to go off of.

Ark

------------------

Windows 10 Pro x64

9900K @ 5ghz

Gigabyte Aorus Master Z390

32GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB CAS 14

EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Ultra XC2

256gb Samsung 869 Pro (Boot Drive)

1TB - Samsung 970 EVO Plus

Seasoninc 1000w Titanium Ultra PSU

34" ASUS PG348

Picked up my Rift S a few days ago (Saturday). Spent all of Saturday a most of Sunday battling USB and Sensor issues. Ended up having to reinstall Windows to get it to work. Fml what a PITA this Rift S install went.

Having said that, once I got it finally working I was quite suprised. The clarity is definitely an improvement over the CV1. Gauges are now much more readable. I can fly the Tomcat from the cockpit without struggling to see things. A great boost to the immersion. Its also nice being able to wear the HMD with glasses and not have it be a huge struggle or require some expensive lens attachment. There are a few technical issues though that I have noticed over the CV1

Looking left to right quickly seems to cause a slight lag in the display (eg, the picture moves slightly after you turn your head), second, "jitter" is noticable at times and third, there is a slight difference in FOV from the CV1. The lag in the display and jitter could be caused by system though since it's quite dated.

Overall, I'm really impressed. I'm building my son a pc and going to give him my CV1. He wants to learn DCS and fly backseat on the F14 :)

*Side Question* How do you get the sound to work? I have yet to figure it out. No matter what the settings I can't hear anything from the headset. :/

Edited by JG27_Arklight

Ark

------------------

Windows 10 Pro x64

9900K @ 5ghz

34" ASUS PG348

If the modules are all built to a 1:1 scale as they should be, you shouldn't need to change the IPD for each module.

One aspect of the perception of the view is the location of the default cockpit viewpoint. It is very clear that they were placed wherever the developer felt would provide the best option for flying on a flat screen with limited vertical field of view. So the default views tend to be lower and/or angled more down than reality. I like to move the default view position so that my VR head is essentially in the same position as the VR pilot's head. With some aircraft, this makes a dramatic difference in what you see and how cramped you feel.

Yep, I do this every time. Only takes a few seconds. I use the rear headrest as a sort of reference. I really feel like I'm sitting in the cockpit seat when I do this.

Picked up my Rift S a few days ago (Saturday). Spent all of Saturday a most of Sunday battling USB and Sensor issues. Ended up having to reinstall Windows to get it to work. Fml what a PITA this Rift S install went.

Having said that, once I got it finally working I was quite suprised. The clarity is definitely an improvement over the CV1. Gauges are now much more readable. I can fly the Tomcat from the cockpit without struggling to see things. A great boost to the immersion. Its also nice being able to wear the HMD with glasses and not have it be a huge struggle or require some expensive lens attachment. There are a few technical issues though that I have noticed over the CV1

Looking left to right quickly seems to cause a slight lag in the display (eg, the picture moves slightly after you turn your head), second, "jitter" is noticable at times and third, there is a slight difference in FOV from the CV1. The lag in the display and jitter could be caused by system though since it's quite dated.

Overall, I'm really impressed. I'm building my son a pc and going to give him my CV1. He wants to learn DCS and fly backseat on the F14 :)

*Side Question* How do you get the sound to work? I have yet to figure it out. No matter what the settings I can't hear anything from the headset. :/

Almost exactly the same situation and experience as myself. My son (11 years old) has sat in the pilot's seat of the Tomcat with my old CV1 on a PC I built for him and I'm in the back. He can fly quite well now and we spend quality time together doing something we both enjoy. We're having great fun going through the carrier recovery with plenty of laughing at each other's efforts. You will have a great time.

Anybody with experiences about the upcoming valve vr set?

I am not sure if I should go with the rift s or the valve set. So far, it looks like the valve vr set has an even higher (slightly) resolution...

________________________ ________ ______ ___ __ _

Win10 64 Pro, i7-6800K 3.4Ghz, 32 GB (DDR4), Asus Aorus 1080 TI WF, TrackIR 5 / RIFT, Thrustmaster Warthog, Fanatec Pedals, 55" oled 4k TV, Modules:A10C, KA-50, Huey, AV-8B, FA-18, F-16, NTTR, Persian Gulf

_ __ ___ ____ _____ ______ _______ ____________

Almost exactly the same situation and experience as myself. My son (11 years old) has sat in the pilot's seat of the Tomcat with my old CV1 on a PC I built for him and I'm in the back. He can fly quite well now and we spend quality time together doing something we both enjoy. We're having great fun going through the carrier recovery with plenty of laughing at each other's efforts. You will have a great time.

Nice! My Son is 11 as well. Good times ahead! :)

Ark

------------------

Windows 10 Pro x64

9900K @ 5ghz

34" ASUS PG348

OK I couldn't stand it anymore, I ordered one. I'm going blind trying to see anything with my CV1, I'll take any improvement at this point...

No way I'm gonna be able to run MSAA and PD>1 both at the same time, gotta pick one. I take it you guys are liking PD more than MSAA? I'm currently running PD 1.4, MSAA off... thinking about just leaving it there...

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

I like MSAA more than PD... MSAA does a better job of getting rid of the jittering terrain. I usually leave my PD at 1.0.

But why not simply try various combinations until you are happy with the balance between frame rate and visual quality rather than go by others' preferences. Find the max PD you can run and maintain a given frame rate. Try the max MSAA you can run and maintain the same frame rate. Then try compromising both to hit the desired frame rate.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Mine arrived today. Very happy. The setup worked perfectly after already having the CV1 working on the system.

The increase in res is perfect for me, everything is readable and crisp. So much easier to spot ground targets now! Very happy. Didn't see a huge difference with tryingt to spot the ball on the carrier, though only tried a quick test.

I was actually quite happy with the CV1, but it was like just not quite good enough. The Rift S really is the next step.

The quality doesn't seem as good construction wise, and the head tracking seems.. different in some way. Maybe I'm just used to it.

Very pleased overall, glad I waited for the bugs to be sorted.

I haven't tweaked settings yet but the performance feels better than the CV1, even with the increased resolution.

How do you do that? Do you and your son both have computers connected via multiplayer?

Thanks

Terry

How do you do that? Do you and your son both have computers connected via multiplayer?

Thanks

Terry

Yep. It's basically like MP....but in the same house. :)

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Ark

------------------

Windows 10 Pro x64

9900K @ 5ghz

34" ASUS PG348