Valve Index Hands On

aileron

Got my Index and can't get it to detect on my gaming PC (Headset not detected 108 error).

So I bought an Inateck USB card but still doesn't work (my Reverb works fine)

I have tried the headset on my other PC and it works but runs DCS like a dog so not much of a test.

Tried loads of fixes (resetting SteamVR USB devices), every USB port, every Displayport, updated MB BIOS all to no avail.

Very frustrating!

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't give up on the connections you already tried. I've had the headset not detected error twice, and chose another socket and it worked - later retried the one that hadn't worked and lo and behold it was working - so it can be a bit finicky.

Also found that it's not always down to the USB. Once I unplugged the G-port and replugged it and it cleared the error.

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

Don't give up on the connections you already tried. I've had the headset not detected error twice, and chose another socket and it worked - later retried the one that hadn't worked and lo and behold it was working - so it can be a bit finicky.

Also found that it's not always down to the USB. Once I unplugged the G-port and replugged it and it cleared the error.

I have tried every USB and Displayport, even unplugged every other USB device. Pulled apart the breakaway many times, nothing :(

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

Got my Index and can't get it to detect on my gaming PC (Headset not detected 108 error).

So I bought an Inateck USB card but still doesn't work (my Reverb works fine)

I have tried the headset on my other PC and it works but runs DCS like a dog so not much of a test.

Tried loads of fixes (resetting SteamVR USB devices), every USB port, every Displayport, updated MB BIOS all to no avail.

Very frustrating!

Do you have anything running in the background that could interfere with laser detection such as TrackIR?

Try trashing SteamVR setting file also. C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\config\steamvr.vrsettings, and just delete the whole SteamVR app/folder and reinstall it again.

Edited by Supmua

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

Do you have anything running in the background that could interfere with laser detection such as TrackIR?
Not intentionally, certainly no TrackIR, long term VR user on that PC. it has run a CV1, Odyssey+, Pimax5K & Reverb so far.

Not quite - I used to think so, too, but recently have found two instances where it wasn't (and I stopped using OpenComposite, so that's not why).

These instances are when I am running two simulators which use SteamVR, but are not installed on Steam. You could say the Steam service is running, I suppose, but I'm not logged in and can't access anything in Steam whilst they are running.

It was for this that I was considering using fpsVR and that's why I was asking if Steam needed to be open.

I'm already not happy about how much opens and runs when I'm in VR - SteamVR (necessary, of course) Steam, and now Oculus seems to open every time - even when I'm running something installed on Steam - and if I switch Home off, the game/app closes, too. It's ridiculous. This happens every time I run DCS World - taking away vital resources. No wonder it's so difficult to get decent performance. I don't have DCS World in Steam.

Wondering if Revive is responsible for that.

Yeah back when I ran another game through Steam VR as it did not have native Oculus support, I never ran the Steam program, just Steam VR. Course I had to run Steam to get Steam VR installed, but after that just Steam VR. I now use Open Composite for that program.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I'm a little confused by this, guys.

If I disable Steam temporarily - stop all services, etc. - and run SteamVR, then the first thing it does is startup Steam services in the background to check my account.

It doesn't bother me as I have a lot of stuff on Steam, and the Steam client overhead is small and very efficient.

However, I would be interested to know how you guys are running SteamVR without Steam.

On the fpsVR question, I guess the answer is no it can't run without Steam as the licence would have to be checked against your Steam account.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

@imacken

Don't get confused. dburne's comment is about oculus users trying to bypass SteamVR. Not helping much in a Valve Index thread. The problem he describes comes from another direction, how DCS hooks in each of the different VR runtimes. Check your /bin folder, there is no LibOVRxx.dll there, because DCS uses systems (Windows) link to it's installation path. If DCS is started it first checks if LibOVR is present and after that it looks for OpenVR connections. For example, that's why the PD value of DCS is directly connected to Oculus's PD value, but for SteamVR (OpenVR) it's an additional SS multiplier. This is the reason why people run into trouble if both systems are installed in the OS, DCS finds LibOVR first and triggers it, regardless which HMD they are currently using.

Edited by Alec Delorean

i9 13900K @5.5GHz, Z790 Gigabyte Aorus Master, RTX4090 Waterforce, 64 GB DDR5 @5600, Pico 4, HOTAS & Rudder: all Virpil with Rhino FFB base made by VPforce, DCS: all modules

I just got an interesting message from Steam support. Here's the interesting bit:

Some amount of the behavior is expected, but not to the extent that is is disruptive. We understand not everyone's experiences match this expectation.

Consequently, our engineers are currently looking at software adjustments that should improve this behavior across the board. If you'd still like to be refunded, I'll be happy to start that process for you. We can also send you a replacement so that you can see what you think about the changes when they are ready. I realize you've already shipped back your unit, but we can work around that if necessary. Let us know your preference.

I am outside the normal window for a refund - but they offered anyway, which is generous. However, I have opted for getting a replacement once they have improved the issue (if they do).

Maybe this just means they will physically check the headsets they send out for replacemnt with this particular issue. Still, it's a big step forward from "this is normal & expected". :)

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

I'm a little confused by this, guys.

If I disable Steam temporarily - stop all services, etc. - and run SteamVR, then the first thing it does is startup Steam services in the background to check my account.

It doesn't bother me as I have a lot of stuff on Steam, and the Steam client overhead is small and very efficient.

However, I would be interested to know how you guys are running SteamVR without Steam.

On the fpsVR question, I guess the answer is no it can't run without Steam as the licence would have to be checked against your Steam account.

The Steam service starts, but not the Steam client. I can't access anything in Steam unless I elect to do so, at which point the client starts up via SteamVR.

So I can't do any admin or download anything etc. This is whilst using a couple of flight sims which I had mentioned, but will probably end up getting the post deleted (even though it's not comparing anything - but had this happen in the past, so...) that use SteamVR but have their own installers and otherwise run independent of Steam.

As soon as I have my Rift CV1 set up on my other PC, I'll be uninstalling Home and everything to do with Oculus on this PC, because it's just silly having everything running at the same time when I use Index.

Kneeboard Guides

Sorry for the triple post - addressing different things, but didn't want a huge one-stop half a page thing! :)

Not intentionally, certainly no TrackIR, long term VR user on that PC. it has run a CV1, Odyssey+, Pimax5K & Reverb so far.

If I were you, I would contact Steam support and send them the SteamVR log so they can see what's what. They can take a couple of days, but they are usually pretty good once they get going.

Otherwise, we could sit here speculating all day long.

Kneeboard Guides

Sorry for the triple post - addressing different things, but didn't want a huge one-stop half a page thing! :)

If I were you, I would contact Steam support and send them the SteamVR log so they can see what's what. They can take a couple of days, but they are usually pretty good once they get going.

Otherwise, we could sit here speculating all day long.

Yeh, I sent it off yesterday, see what happens!

Valve Index Hands On

Steam is always active whenever you run SteamVR. Just go to task manager and check the background processes, it will be there. There are also a lot of others things running as hidden background processes that could bog down your system when running DCS.

You can bypass Steam GUI by starting SteamVR manually, but the entire Steam framework will still run in the background.

Edited by Supmua

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

A Windows reinstall did the trick to get the Index working, reinstalling DCS now :)

Steam is always active whenever you run SteamVR. Just go to task manager and check the background processes, it will be there. There are also a lot of others things running as hidden background processes that could bog down your system when running DCS.

You can bypass Steam GUI by starting SteamVR manually, but the entire Steam framework will still run in the background.

Yep, that's what I think, but a couple of guys here seem to think differently.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

I just got an interesting message from Steam support. Here's the interesting bit:

I am outside the normal window for a refund - but they offered anyway, which is generous. However, I have opted for getting a replacement once they have improved the issue (if they do).

Maybe this just means they will physically check the headsets they send out for replacemnt with this particular issue. Still, it's a big step forward from "this is normal & expected". :)

Well my Index saga much like yours remains in-progress and I apparently did not win the Device lottery. Replacement (RMA’d due to a cluster of dead pixels) headset arrived yesterday and while there are no dead pixels I’m seeing first hand the vertical line issue (now deemed “pixel inversion” I see?). So I’m not sure they’re physically checking headsets prior to sending out...at least not yet. Having had a headset w/o the issue (and dead pixels notwithstanding) and now having one that does I would offer the strong opinion that visual quality is definitely compromised by the issue and worth keeping your support/return/replacement/refund options active. I won’t accept that it’s “Normal & expected” for a $1000 kit.

It sounds as though there’s some hope it’s resolvable - granted it’s based on the cryptic statement in those support messages - so I’m going to hold on to mine for the remaining 2 weeks of my 30 day return window... hopefully there’s a bit more info made public soon.

Total bummer as it really is a pleasure to put it on after playing with the Rift S for the past week. Not bashing the Rift at all but the comfort and adjustability of the Index (for my IPD) is just a real step up...Argh....

i9-9900K @ 5.0GHz, ASUS ROG Z390 MAXIMUS XI HERO, ASUS GeForce RTX 2080Ti 11GB, 32GB DDR4 @ 3866MHZ, 1TB Intel 660P M.2 NVMe SSD, 1TB WD Black SN750 NVMe SSD, Oculus Rift S

Guys, I’ve got an audio issue. The left speaker cuts out if I slightly move either the headset angle or the plastic bit the speaker is attached to.

Any easy fix ideas before I return it?

Thanks.

Well my Index saga much like yours remains in-progress and I apparently did not win the Device lottery. Replacement (RMA’d due to a cluster of dead pixels) headset arrived yesterday and while there are no dead pixels I’m seeing first hand the vertical line issue (now deemed “pixel inversion” I see?). So I’m not sure they’re physically checking headsets prior to sending out...at least not yet. Having had a headset w/o the issue (and dead pixels notwithstanding) and now having one that does I would offer the strong opinion that visual quality is definitely compromised by the issue and worth keeping your support/return/replacement/refund options active. I won’t accept that it’s “Normal & expected” for a $1000 kit.

It sounds as though there’s some hope it’s resolvable - granted it’s based on the cryptic statement in those support messages - so I’m going to hold on to mine for the remaining 2 weeks of my 30 day return window... hopefully there’s a bit more info made public soon.

Total bummer as it really is a pleasure to put it on after playing with the Rift S for the past week. Not bashing the Rift at all but the comfort and adjustability of the Index (for my IPD) is just a real step up...Argh....

That's a shame - sorry to hear that. At least, as you say, it would seem that they are working on it and seem fairly confident that they'll be able to do something about it. The key, of course, is to make sure you make it clear to support that it is adversely affecting your experience and that you're not happy with it.

No reason why they shouldn't make you the same offer as they did me.

I don't think it will be a quick fix, though, so we'll probably have to be patient.

Kneeboard Guides

Yep, that's what I think, but a couple of guys here seem to think differently.

If you close Steam the standard way, clicking on the X, it just minimizes and puts an icon in the systray.

You have to right click that icon and select exit.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

If you close Steam the standard way, clicking on the X, it just minimizes and puts an icon in the systray.

You have to right click that icon and select exit.

Yes, that is correct Don, but after exiting Steam via that method, whenever you start SteamVR, the first thing that happens is all Steam services start up again.

Just noticed a button on the underside of the Index. What does it actually do? When I have the headset on, nothing happens when I press it!

Guys, I’ve got an audio issue. The left speaker cuts out if I slightly move either the headset angle or the plastic bit the speaker is attached to.

Any easy fix ideas before I return it?

Thanks.

So, I removed the whole left audio leg and speaker and then reseated them. Everything OK now!

Just noticed a button on the underside of the Index. What does it actually do? When I have the headset on, nothing happens when I press it!

OK, I now realise that a double press brings up the camera. Duh!

It should do the same as the system button on either of the Index Controllers ie: take you back to Steam VR UI

i9 9900x at 5.1 Ghz // ASUS ROG Maximus XI Formula EK Bloc // 64Gb Corsair Vengence 3600Mhz DDR4 Ram // Gigabyte Aorus 3090 Watercooled block//Samsung SM951 M2 x4 SSD // Windows 10 64 Bit //48inch LG48 @ 3840x2160 120Hz//Asus ROG Swift PG35VQ 3440 x 14440 144Hz // TM Warthog HOTAS (Ser. No. 00836) //MFG Crosswind Pedals // TrackIR 5 //Varjo Aero

An old pilot is one who remembers when flying was dangerous and sex was safe.