July 17 OB Update Detail Request

Thudster

Is there any additional detail available regarding the changes in this release?

The summary is nice, but I feel like I'm poking around in the dark for understanding what things like "Kneeboard Now Works" means.

It worked before....so what am I looking for now?

Is there a detailed changelog sent along and stored somewhere in the updates?

Similar to what Microsoft does with patching.

Really, this would be helpful.

**Bueller? ...Bueller? ...Bueller?**

Edited by Thudster
smartassery

(1AF) "THUD" | 55th FS

Joint Task Force 1 | Discord

Since when does MS deliver changelogs? The last time I checked some of those, they've been the utter definition of "ambiguous", basically just telling they did change something at somewhere, but not what they really did. As if ED would write in their logs things like "FM adjusted". Compared to that Early Access galore of Microsoft, ED's and their 3rd parties' changelogs are very detailled already, even if some entries might not be too detailed though.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

LOL I should have noted Cisco...

In any event, too much trouble to say "Kneeboard now appears on the pilot's knee in the cockpit"?

Not nearly as problematic as "We fixed something in the FM, fly it tell us if you noticed..."

Or "(nonsense English word) weapons deployment."

Or - "Everyone please perform this highly variable test in Beta and again in Release so we can see how highly variable everyone is performing on their highly variably configured gaming rigs."

Classic

(1AF) "THUD" | 55th FS

Since when does MS deliver changelogs? The last time I checked some of those, they've been the utter definition of "ambiguous", basically just telling they did change something at somewhere, but not what they really did. As if ED would write in their logs things like "FM adjusted". Compared to that Early Access galore of Microsoft, ED's and their 3rd parties' changelogs are very detailled already, even if some entries might not be too detailed though.

Eldur, Microsoft deliver changelogs quite regularly actually, for example https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/4507453/windows-10-update-kb4507453

is the change log for KB4507453.

I agree with Thudster some extra info on some of the Change log items would be nice given like him I'm wondering what 'Kneeboard is now working' is meant to mean given the kneeboard was working fine last time I used it last Open Beta.. :/

i7 13700k, 64gb DDR5, Warthog HOTAS, HP Reverb G2 VR, win 11, RTX 3070

TGW Dedicated Server Admin, Australian PVE/PVP gameplay. (taskgroupwarrior.info/2020)

I agree with Thudster some extra info on some of the Change log items would be nice given like him I'm wondering what 'Kneeboard is now working' is meant to mean given the kneeboard was working fine last time I used it last Open Beta.. :/

It could be clearer, I agree. 'The kneeboard is working' means that the kneeboard on the pilot's knee is now working. See attached.

The problem is that in the Hornet, having the pilot on masks most of the left and right console dials/switches. However, it can be toggled by RShift+P.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

It could be clearer, I agree. 'The kneeboard is working' means that the kneeboard on the pilot's knee is now working. See attached.

The problem is that in the Hornet, having the pilot on masks most of the left and right console dials/switches. However, it can be toggled by RShift+P.

Wow that will be way more immersive in VR

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Valve Index 🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, Virpil Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

Wow that will be way more immersive in VR

I don't expect it works the same in VR.

(so, I haven't tried it in VR yet. But as I don't use the pilot body and I do use KneeBoard builder, so it probably won't be the same for me anyway.)

Though my post was about detail, and I appreciate folks thoughts about getting more detail and about the Kneeboard capabilities in the F-18 now.

Waaay too much interest on my part as a Harrier driver and sometimes Bug driver.:pilotfly:

(1AF) "THUD" | 55th FS

The "new" knee board function while using VR is very very cool. So much better than popping up the large "page view" when pressing RShift+K. You can simply flip between different pages with [ or ] . I personally find it much more useful. As another mentioned, the pilot body does block a few of the switch and knobs for adjustment, but to be fair - they aren't really ones that are needed to be toggled or adjusted while in flight. Simply moving your torso and head to look around them works fine while on the ground (canopy open or closed). That being said, a quick RShift+P to remove and replace the pilot body is any easily accomplished thing if you really need to see the panels for modification of setting(s).

Also, the shadow of the pilot head / helmet is so immersive when using VR. Really gives the sense that you are in the cockpit and when scanning with the Mk I's (eyeballs) it is a welcome and appreciated touch. The F-14B is more so with the additional movement that can be seen in the mirrors, but in the F/A-18C, I can't argue with it as I personally don't use the mirrors hardly ever when flying the Hornet.

Cheers

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

• 5 weeks later...
The "new" knee board function while using VR is very very cool. So much better than popping up the large "page view" when pressing RShift+K. You can simply flip between different pages with [ or ] . I personally find it much more useful. As another mentioned, the pilot body does block a few of the switch and knobs for adjustment, but to be fair - they aren't really ones that are needed to be toggled or adjusted while in flight. Simply moving your torso and head to look around them works fine while on the ground (canopy open or closed). That being said, a quick RShift+P to remove and replace the pilot body is any easily accomplished thing if you really need to see the panels for modification of setting(s).

Also, the shadow of the pilot head / helmet is so immersive when using VR. Really gives the sense that you are in the cockpit and when scanning with the Mk I's (eyeballs) it is a welcome and appreciated touch. The F-14B is more so with the additional movement that can be seen in the mirrors, but in the F/A-18C, I can't argue with it as I personally don't use the mirrors hardly ever when flying the Hornet.

Cheers

Not sure what has changed, but I no longer get the shadow movement / head movement effect.... Very odd, and somewhat disappointing. Pilot body off or on, but for a time when I would move my head (in real life wearing VR), you could see the exact same head movement being replicated within the game. It was incredibly immersive and now that it is gone - it's exceptionally noticeable. Any feedback ED moderators?

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

Not sure what has changed, but I no longer get the shadow movement / head movement effect.... Very odd, and somewhat disappointing. Pilot body off or on, but for a time when I would move my head (in real life wearing VR), you could see the exact same head movement being replicated within the game. It was incredibly immersive and now that it is gone - it's exceptionally noticeable. Any feedback ED moderators?

I loved this feature, and hoped for further improvement at some point like to make it "6DOF" that represents head's XYZ movement instead of being entirely removed......

i9-9900K, G.Skill 3200 32GB RAM, AORUS Z390 Pro Wifi, Gigabyte Windforce RTX 2080 Ti, Samsung 960 Pro NVMe 512G + 860 Pro 1T, TM Warthog HOTAS, VKB T-Rudder, Samsung O+

F/A-18C, F-16C, A-10C, UH-1, AV-8B, F-14, JF-17, FC3, SA342 Gazelle, L-39, KA-50, CEII, Supercarrier Preordered. (Almost abandoned: CA - VR support please?)

PG, NTTR

Wondering if I should make a post in the "bugs" section...? Or maybe the "wish list" section? Haven't really searched for others who have mentioned/complained/suggested the feature, as I wasn't entirely sure that it was something new, or something that I had just not realized was present - but at least "happy" to see that I am not the only one who noticed it or appreciated it..

Thoughts?

Cheers,

Don

Well, I created a thread in the "official bugs" section, sub forum for the F/A-18C Hornet.

Hopeful that it will "show up again" later in the open beta versions, and that maybe it was just removed for a temporary bit due to other issue(s) in the programming.

Cheers,

Don