Virpil Throttle impressions

Raz_Specter

Hey all

I just thought i would share my feedback on the Virpil T50 Throttle that i received last week

Build Quality: Taking it out of the box for the first time felt even better than when i took my first Warthog out of the box. The build quality is absolutely outstanding, feels like you have spend your money very wisely and that it will last for years to come.

Connecting the Hardware: I connected the throttle to my system (Obviously) and it worked without any issues what so ever, the only criticism is that the USB cable isn't that long so make sure you have a USB hub near to plug it into (for my setup at least). Wasn't really an issue though.

Binding the Controls: I started by binding the controls on the throttle to the FA18. This was really easy with only once not being able to bind one button (Which bound at a later date, think this is a known issue within DCS)

the 2 x Axis rotary (bottom left of the throttle) I bound to Comm 1 and 2 Volume controls.

the other 3 rotary knobs I bound to the comm 1 and 2 channel rotatory (very pleased to find these in the bindings list with the hornet) and the last knob i bound to the jettison rotary.

The only thing i would query is that the 2 x (what i call) flick switches on the right just below the leaver to the right of the throttle up and down produce the same value, so makes the flick switch a little pointless to be honest.

Flying the Hornet: The precision as you can imagine is just like the T50 stick, very precise on the throttle movements, really feels like you have something of value in your hands.

Overall Thoughts: I am very pleased with the product, well built and the addition of the knobs compared with the warthog makes me think how did I do without them for so long. The Warthog will be put on eBay :)

The only issues I had were with the delivery dates slipping, I ordered my product in May and it wasn't done till Sept, so maybe 2 to 3 months delay from initial release. But I am sure that things will settle down for newer orders.

EDIT: One REALLY COOL thing i love about the throttle is the zoom wheel in the middle of the dront of the throttle handles, this makes for zooming in and out very easy without having to move your hand off of the throttle, which i never had in the warthog

Thanks Mithandra

Callsign: Specter

Edited by Raz_Specter

Custom built W10 Pro 64Bit, Intel Core i9 9900k, Asus ROG Maximus Code XI Z390, 64GB DDR4 3200 RGB, Samsung 1TB NVme M.2 Drive, Gigabyte AORUS 2080TI, 40" Iiyama Display. Wacom Cintiq Pro 24, HOTAS Virpil T50 Stick / FA-18C TM Stick and Virpil T50 Throttle, MFG Crosswind Graphite Pedals. HP Reverb

SPECTER

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Lead Terrain Developer / Texture Artist

Thanks for the write up.

A question for yourself if I may.

I use a CH Throttle, which has an analogue mini stick, that I find works really well for slew of TGP and similar. The current VPC throttle has digital only hats. Do you miss an analogue stick for slew control?

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

The only thing i would query is that the 2 x (what i call) flick switches on the right just below the leaver to the right of the throttle up and down produce the same value, so makes the flick switch a little pointless to be honest.....

You can change the actions with the VIRPIL software if you wish.. I've mine set up for separate DX codes for up and down on the same switch (T2 & T3) - although it's a bit of a pain working out whats what and the device ID changes each time you save the config to device - no doubt it'll get easier when Cypher finishes the manual... :)

Edit: Also added DXcodes to each of the 5 positions of the 'MODE' switch - this along with DCS options 'should' do everything I want :)

Edited by Gizzy

SIGBLOCK.png

Yeah, I tried to set the switches myself and couldn't figure out how to do it without messing something up. Fortunately Mdee had a profile posted that was more or less what I was after.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

You can change the actions with the VIRPIL software if you wish.. I've mine set up for separate DX codes for up and down on the same switch (T2 & T3) - although it's a bit of a pain working out whats what and the device ID changes each time you save the config to device - no doubt it'll get easier when Cypher finishes the manual... :)

Edit: Also added DXcodes to each of the 5 positions of the 'MODE' switch - this along with DCS options 'should' do everything I want :)

would be interested to have a chat about this mate - when are you on TS?

Custom built W10 Pro 64Bit, Intel Core i9 9900k, Asus ROG Maximus Code XI Z390, 64GB DDR4 3200 RGB, Samsung 1TB NVme M.2 Drive, Gigabyte AORUS 2080TI, 40" Iiyama Display. Wacom Cintiq Pro 24, HOTAS Virpil T50 Stick / FA-18C TM Stick and Virpil T50 Throttle, MFG Crosswind Graphite Pedals. HP Reverb

SPECTER

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Lead Terrain Developer / Texture Artist

When does the version with the analog ministick drop?

Better off asking Virpil. We as customers have no idea!

Ryzen 9 7950X3D - MSI MAG X670E TomaHawk MB, ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 AIO

64gig Corsair DDR5@6000, Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 AORUS

Winwing Super Taurus, Orion2, TO / Combat panels, Collective with Topgun MIP

Winwing Skywalker pedals, NLR Boeing Mil Edition Simpit, Trackir

• 4 months later...

Hi Gizzy,

could you please explaine how exactly you did this? This is exactly what i tried today (T2 and T3) and failed miserably. I can't figure out how to setup T2 and T3 to report as different buttons in the up and down position.

My next step would be to setup the MODE selector to act as a modifier in DCS, which you also did like you mentioned in your post.

Could you please explaine how to setup these controls? Thank you very much in advance. :thumbup:

Modules: KA-50, A-10C, FC3, UH-1H, MI-8MTV2, CA, MIG-21bis, FW-190D9, Bf-109K4, F-86F, MIG-15bis, M-2000C, SA342 Gazelle, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, F-14, C-101, FW-190A8, F-16C, F-5E, JF-17, SC, Mi-24P Hind, AH-64D Apache, Mirage F1

System: Win 11 Pro 64bit, Ryzen 3800X, 32gb RAM DDR4-3200, PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT Red Devil ,1 x Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe, 2 x Samsung SSD 2TB + 1TB SATA, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - VIRPIL T-50CM and VIRPIL MongoosT-50 Throttle - HP Reverg G2, using only the latest Open Beta, DCS settings

Hi,

Configure buttons 58 - 64 as shown.

58 > 29 and 59 > 31 add seperates functions to the 2 toggles T2 & T3

60 to 64 adds DX codes to the 5 way MODE rotary.

I'm using their software v20190109 - and exported my profile to a file... in this profile the LEDs are all off though.

You 'should' be able to import that profile and all is done... I've done that to seveeral others asking the same thing..

Good Luck..

vp10.jpg

VPC Throttle_MT50_no_mode [PCBv06].cnfv06-GIZZY.zip

SIGBLOCK.png

15 dials on E1 E2 E3

Here are my throttle files. They will turn your E1 E2 E3 into 5 different sets of dials. The sets are based upon the 5 way Mode selector. Now on mode 1 as an example I put the radios. I push the E1 and com 1 on the F18 is selected then I use the E1 dial to change channels.E2 is com 2, E3 is goggles on/off and brightness. Mode 2 put to external lights, Mode 3 I do external lights, mode 3 I do other stuff etc.

I map all planes radios and lighting pretty much the same so I do not get easily confused. I am in VR so I cant look. I know where everything is.

You can do whatever you want with your 15 new dials

Desktop.rar

Hi,

Configure buttons 58 - 64 as shown.

58 > 29 and 59 > 31 add seperates functions to the 2 toggles T2 & T3

60 to 64 adds DX codes to the 5 way MODE rotary.

I'm using their software v20190109 - and exported my profile to a file... in this profile the LEDs are all off though.

You 'should' be able to import that profile and all is done... I've done that to seveeral others asking the same thing..

Good Luck..

vp10.jpg

Thank you very much :thumbup: , i use the same software version. I was so close, i used 28 and 30 instead of 29 and 31, a small difference with a big impact. :joystick: :D

Modules: KA-50, A-10C, FC3, UH-1H, MI-8MTV2, CA, MIG-21bis, FW-190D9, Bf-109K4, F-86F, MIG-15bis, M-2000C, SA342 Gazelle, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, F-14, C-101, FW-190A8, F-16C, F-5E, JF-17, SC, Mi-24P Hind, AH-64D Apache, Mirage F1

System: Win 11 Pro 64bit, Ryzen 3800X, 32gb RAM DDR4-3200, PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT Red Devil ,1 x Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe, 2 x Samsung SSD 2TB + 1TB SATA, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - VIRPIL T-50CM and VIRPIL MongoosT-50 Throttle - HP Reverg G2, using only the latest Open Beta, DCS settings

Thanks for the write up.

A question for yourself if I may.

I use a CH Throttle, which has an analogue mini stick, that I find works really well for slew of TGP and similar. The current VPC throttle has digital only hats. Do you miss an analogue stick for slew control?

I used a CH Pro Throttle for 10+ years before getting a Virpil last August. I personally prefer the Virpil: the ministick on my CH progressively lost precision after 2-3 years and I eventually dropped it entirely; ending up using the POV for the Shkval. I find the 5-way on the Virpil throttle quite precise and the pushbutton doens't interfere in any way with the movement, which is a great thing. After experiencing Warthog, TWCS and CH, Virpil's solution is the one I'm happier with.

full_tiny.pngfull_tiny.png
full_tiny.png

"Cogito, ergo RIO"
Virtual Backseaters Volume I: F-14 Radar Intercept Officer - Fifth Public Draft
Virtual Backseaters Volume II: F-4E Weapon Systems Officer - Internal Draft WIP

Phantom Phamiliarisation Video Series | F-4E/F-14 Kneeboard Pack

Open the VPC_JOY_SETUP.ini file and change the line Resetwindowscalibration=1 to 0. Save and the id will not change. Just remember that every time you download updated Virpil config software the .ini file will revert to default.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3637969&postcount=7

Ryzen 9 7950X3D - MSI MAG X670E TomaHawk MB, ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 AIO

64gig Corsair DDR5@6000, Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 AORUS

Winwing Super Taurus, Orion2, TO / Combat panels, Collective with Topgun MIP

Winwing Skywalker pedals, NLR Boeing Mil Edition Simpit, Trackir

I used a CH Pro Throttle for 10+ years before getting a Virpil last August. I personally prefer the Virpil: the ministick on my CH progressively lost precision after 2-3 years and I eventually dropped it entirely; ending up using the POV for the Shkval. I find the 5-way on the Virpil throttle quite precise and the pushbutton doens't interfere in any way with the movement, which is a great thing. After experiencing Warthog, TWCS and CH, Virpil's solution is the one I'm happier with.

Thanks for the response.

Bought my own T50 throttle last Oct. love it, even without an analog mini stick

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

Can the Virpil Software be used to input keyboard characters? or is does it simply cover Dx buttons?

No, their software- for now, is just a firmware configurator, where you can change buttons behavior, select modes... Is not a "keyboard emulator" software running in game background like used by other brands.

But you can use the freeware Joystick Gremlin for keyboard emulation.

https://whitemagic.github.io/JoystickGremlin/