F-14 Release Date Discussion Thread

zhujiammy

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably because there isnt much to show until the rest of the jet gets finished.

The only thing that they can't show for now is the back seat even though it's functional, and LANTIRN. So I believe there is plenty to show, but you gotta realize most of these content creators have day jobs. It takes time to get to know a module, probably through trial and error for most, since HB have their hands full with completing the jet and can't babysit content creators, and who knows how complete the manual is and whether the content creators have access to it. Then on top of all of that, they have to set up their missions in a way to best demonstrate what they wan't to show and finally record the video and then do some post-production.

As for the start-up, take-off and landing being done by Heatblur, does anyone have a link to where they actually confirmed they will be doing that exclusively?

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

The only thing that they can't show for now is the back seat even though it's functional, and LANTIRN. So I believe there is plenty to show, but you gotta realize most of these content creators have day jobs. It takes time to get to know a module, probably through trial and error for most, since HB have their hands full with completing the jet and can't babysit content creators, and who knows how complete the manual is and whether the content creators have access to it. Then on top of all of that, they have to set up their missions in a way to best demonstrate what they wan't to show and finally record the video and then do some post-production.

As for the start-up, take-off and landing being done by Heatblur, does anyone have a link to where they actually confirmed they will be doing that exclusively?

I saw it on Reddit, if i recall. You would have to go digging for it. It is in one of the post that contained the videos by the youtubers.

Strike

USLANTCOM.com

stepped_with_391_new_small.png

i7-9700K OC 5GHz| MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON | 32GB DDR4 3200 | GTX 3090 | Samsung SSD | HP Reverb G2 | VIRPIL Alpha | VIRPIL Blackhawk | HOTAS Warthog

I started studying NATOPS as soon as I got my assignment, about six months before showing up for the RAG. So instead of pretending to “take legal action”, and jumping up and down and whining like a bunch of land lubbing USAF pilots, grab a NATOPS manual and start studying. You have tons to learn, and there will be a test before you are allowed to fly.

Better learn the Departure Bold Face, and also the innocuous sounding Landing Checklist, which starts with “WINGS- 20 Auto” if you want to live. That’s what you use mirrors for, to make sure the wings are moving when you hit AUTO.

You will all lose the aircraft on downwind because you didn’t get the wings out in the break.

Every single one of you...

Get busy.

Edited by Victory205

Viewpoints are my own.

I started studying NATOPS as soon as I got my assignment, about six months before showing up for the RAG. So instead of pretending to “take legal action”, and jumping up and down and whining like a bunch of land lubbing USAF pilots, grab a NATOPS manual and start studying. You have tons to learn, and there will be a test before you are allowed to fly.

Better learn the Departure Bold Face, and also the Landing Checklist, which starts with “WINGS- 20 Auto” if you want to live. You will lose the aircraft on downwind because you didn’t get the wings out in the break.

Get busy.

This. :smartass:

Strike

USLANTCOM.com

stepped_with_391_new_small.png

i7-9700K OC 5GHz| MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON | 32GB DDR4 3200 | GTX 3090 | Samsung SSD | HP Reverb G2 | VIRPIL Alpha | VIRPIL Blackhawk | HOTAS Warthog

Better learn the Departure Bold Face, and also the innocuous sounding Landing Checklist, which starts with “WINGS- 20 Auto” if you want to live. That’s what you use mirrors for, to make sure the wings are moving when you hit AUTO.

You will all lose the aircraft on downwind because you didn’t get the wings out in the break.

Get busy.

This shiznit is getting serial as hell! :lol:

Get busy.

Hey victory205, are you reading PMs?

Hangar
FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | F/A-18C | MiG-21bis | Mirage 2000C ... ... JA 37 | Kfir | MiG-23 | Mirage IIIE
Mi-8 MTV2

system
i7-4790 K , 16 GB DDR3 , GTX 1660 Ti 6GB , Samsung 860 QVO 1TB

How low can you get?

Ha! The irony... :doh:

He's just trying to find out by himself... rdlaugh.png

Get busy.

I literally can see [GR] Super Cap trying to take off and land with wings swept back already... and somehow I'm looking forward to it, even if it's just for a good laugh ajmug.png

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

He's just trying to find out by himself... rdlaugh.png

I literally can see [GR] Super Cap trying to take off and land with wings swept back already... and somehow I'm looking forward to it, even if it's just for a good laugh ajmug.png

Lol me to “ watch this super cap landing..... ohh sh**zzzzzzzz, RIO you twat, you didn’t tell me to extend my wings.”

i5-7600k @ 3.8 GHz, Strix 1050ti OC, 16 GB 2666 MHz DDR4 Ram, Corsair H110i, 500 GB Samsung 860 EVO SSD, Windows 10 64-bit, Track IR-5, Saitek X-56

F-15C, A-10C, F-5, M-2000C, UH-1H, F-86F, AV-8B, F/A-18C, F-14 A&B, F-16, F-15E, F-4E, P-47, Tornado, F-111, Mirage F-1, A-29 :pilotfly:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Get busy.

Biggest problem I have with the Aerosoft Tomcat is that it doesn't have an auto sweep bind. I have to manually set it back to auto at the break (aka full forward), and there's a significant delay for it to go into position. Sometimes that's even lead to the wings being in bomb position at the beginning of downwind, which turns into a giant mess. Is this real Tomcat behavior, or just one of the quirks of the plane in FSX?

The wings are manually swept aft for the break maneuver. This looks better, allows for closer/easier formation, and pragmatically, helps the delta winged aircraft decelerate quickly.

In the break maneuver, as the aircraft decelerates to 280KIAS, the pilot clicks the wings into the AUTO mode, and they immediately move forward towards 22 degrees due to the low airspeed/Mach state. The RIO would call "Wings Moving", and the pilot would also glance in the mirrors to confirm (that's what mirrors are good for, and making sure that the RIO isn't sleeping or G-Locked).

The wings had Automatic, Bomb, Electric FWD or AFT using a four position throttle switch, and a full Manual mode using the handle itself. The physical handle was also used to put the wings into oversweep, which required that the handle be held up for something like 15-20 for pins to drive into position to prevent the horizontal stabs from conflicting with the wings. This was not fun while taxiing/disarming on the ship.

So for the break, the pilot would give a single to wingmen to move the wings to full aft, head nod to execute, and the wings would be moved aft using the switch on the inside of the throttle quadrant. The break will be executed, and at 280 KIAS, the pilot simply clicks the switch UP into AUTO. The wing sweep indicator reflects this, and the wing command bars and actual wing position tape all move. The pilot checks the indicator, hears the RIO's call, and checks the mirrors for final confirmation. You will still foul it up at least twice.

I am sure that Heatblur, being Heatblur, have modeled all of this.

There is a pitch change with wing sweep as well, but it isn't particularly noticeable under G. It is during level flight, as the center of lift changes location.

The wing sweep rate also varied with the G load. The automatic sweep position also varied between aircraft due to CADC variances, making the F14 a crummy formation aircraft. When we wanted to do formation aerobatics, we put the wings in Bomb to keep them from moving. If velocity exceeded the Bomb mode max speed, then the wings would switch back to the auto mode. Pretty nifty system that worked well.

Now you know more about wing sweep than you ever wanted to know.

Have you got the Landing Checklist and Spin Recovery Procedures memorized yet? I still do, even after a quarter of a century...

Get after it.

Viewpoints are my own.

The wings are manually swept aft for the break maneuver. This looks better, allows for closer/easier formation, and pragmatically, helps the delta winged aircraft decelerate quickly.

In the break maneuver, as the aircraft decelerates to 280KIAS, the pilot clicks the wings into the AUTO mode, and they immediately move forward towards 22 degrees due to the low airspeed/Mach state. The RIO would call "Wings Moving", and the pilot would also glance in the mirrors to confirm (that's what mirrors are good for, and making sure that the RIO isn't sleeping or G-Locked).

The wings had Automatic, Bomb, Electric FWD or AFT using a four position throttle switch, and a full Manual mode using the handle itself. The physical handle was also used to put the wings into oversweep, which required that the handle be held up for something like 15-20 for pins to drive into position to prevent the horizontal stabs from conflicting with the wings. This was not fun while taxiing/disarming on the ship.

So for the break, the pilot would give a single to wingmen to move the wings to full aft, head nod to execute, and the wings would be moved aft using the switch on the inside of the throttle quadrant. The break will be executed, and at 280 KIAS, the pilot simply clicks the switch UP into AUTO. The wing sweep indicator reflects this, and the wing command bars and actual wing position tape all move. The pilot checks the indicator, hears the RIO's call, and checks the mirrors for final confirmation. You will still foul it up at least twice.

I am sure that Heatblur, being Heatblur, have modeled all of this.

There is a pitch change with wing sweep as well, but it isn't particularly noticeable under G. It is during level flight, as the center of lift changes location.

The wing sweep rate also varied with the G load. The automatic sweep position also varied between aircraft due to CADC variances, making the F14 a crummy formation aircraft. When we wanted to do formation aerobatics, we put the wings in Bomb to keep them from moving. If velocity exceeded the Bomb mode max speed, then the wings would switch back to the auto mode. Pretty nifty system that worked well.

Have you got the Landing Checklist and Spin Recovery Procedures memorized yet? I still do, even after a quarter of a century...

Get after it.

Okay. Aerosoft's Tomcat doesn't always respond right to what I'm trying to do, and not everything is modeled due to sim limitations. My approach and break is right, but a lot of the time the wings just...don't cooperate. I'm looking forward to being able to instantly select bomb or auto, and not worry about having to count clicks on the sweep button.

I have the landing checklist down, and have worked on spin recovery. I'm kind of worried that everything I'm learning that doesn't involve flipping switches or following procedures is going to be lost when I try what I've used in FSX in DCS.

Biggest problem I have with the Aerosoft Tomcat is that it doesn't have an auto sweep bind. I have to manually set it back to auto at the break (aka full forward), and there's a significant delay for it to go into position. Sometimes that's even lead to the wings being in bomb position at the beginning of downwind, which turns into a giant mess. Is this real Tomcat behavior, or just one of the quirks of the plane in FSX?

The Aerosoft F-14X does have an auto-sweep bind. Do you use FSUIPC?

Not so!

I would never have guessed that the F-14 was a bad formation aircraft. In fact, I was never even aware that there was such a thing. If I'm struggling with formations, then I'd probably have simply assumed it was because I sucked at it.

Also yes, I am reading the NATOPS manual. Reading it very carefully.

Can't pretend fly as well as you can.

If it just wasn't so hard to read. That thin serif font makes reading it extremely exhausing. No problems with the Hornet's NATOPS which has a decent font face instead... first world problems rdlaugh.png
I'll admit that, while interesting, it's presented in a pretty dry manner, but I tell myself it's for a good cause.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Can't pretend fly as well as you can.

I think many want the F14 and it will come out when it comes out.

The only thing I would ask Heatblur is to stop using the term "soon"; because it is too vague and has many various time meanings for many different people. For me is means within two weeks, but for others it may mean 1 week or 1 month etc. We know you're getting close and that's cool.

What would be nice to see are some tutorial videos if you're at that stage; such as, start up etc.

It's actually illegal in germany to do pre-orders with vague release dates, https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-07-16-vague-release-dates-for-pre-orders-banned-in-germany

But Heatblur is not based in germany so I dont think its valid for them.

It's actually illegal in germany to do pre-orders with vague release dates, https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-07-16-vague-release-dates-for-pre-orders-banned-in-germany

But Heatblur is not based in germany so I dont think its valid for them.

They are not based in Germany, but regardless the release date is not vague. The end of Winter, which they have clarified as March 21, or earlier.

Modules: [A-10C] [AJS 37] [AV8B N/A] [F-5E] [F-14] [F/A-18C] [FC3] [Ka-50] [M-2000C] [Mig-21 bis] [NTTR] [PG] [SC]

Intel i7-12700F, Nvidia GTX 3080, MSI MPG Z690 Carbon WiFi, 32GB DDR4 @ 1600 MHz, SteelSeries Apex Pro, Razer Basilisk 3

VKB Gunfighter 3 w/ F-14 grip, Thrustmaster Warthog throttle, Thrustmaster MFD Cougars x2, MFG Crosswind,

DSD Flight Series button controller, XK-24, Oculus Rift (HM-A)