F/A-18C Light VR Cockpit

Mnemonic

Hi guys, I'm flying in DCS F/A-18 in VR, and during these winter holidays I have put together light home cockpit based on off-the-shelf components.

Carefully configured it over many hours of flying to feel intuitive, and thought I would show my build, configurations and findings to you.

I hope it will be interesting and we might share some ideas together.

setup.jpg

This cockpit is obviously mimicking F/A-18C cockpit layout, however I think it could work for many other aircrafts.

Hardware used:

- Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog

- Thrustmaster Cougar F-16 MFDs (I used two sets for 3 MFD frames)

- Numpad keyboard piece (I put one from Microsoft that was collecting dust but any would do)

- Rudder pedals (I use Saitek Combat Pedals at the moment)

Warthog stick is bolted to the chair, and Cougar MFDs are bolted (or glued with a mounting tape) together. Bases of MFDs are used to build the "frame" and I removed all metal weight out of it to make construction lighter. To the middle every OSD button on the frames I glued a little piece of sanding paper to have a tactile feel and fast positioning when in VR.

I will put another post describing actual construction of a "frame", but it's very easily put together in 1 lazy evening.

What I want to tell you about now is the mapping, and for this I'm posting pictures below.

I have used this LUA modification by RogueSqdn to map some levers on the Warthog throttle base (very useful): https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=215173

I use Warthog stick paddle as Modifier for some functions (in orange).

Building this mapping I tried as much as possible to layout functions in a logical order, mimicking positions of in-cockpit switches, levers and rotaries.

Hope this make sense to you guys :)

hotas.jpg

switches.jpg

ddi_ampcd_ufc.jpg

I'm sure I will be improving this layout even more, but as it is now it's quite intuitive to fly F/A-18C (almost) without touching the mouse.

I still use mouse for few rare switches or for communication menu.

P.S. Ordered a Warthog extension to add to the setup, waiting for it to arrive.

Edited by Mnemonic

Here are few pictures of the AMPCD/DDI/UFC frame.

I have removed weights from the MFD frames, drilled few holes to bolt them together, as well as used mounting tape.

All MFDs have sanding paper on middle buttons for added tactility,

I glued custom labels to the numpad, as well as also added furniture pads for tactility when in VR.

frame1.jpg

frame2.jpg

frame3.jpg

frame4.jpg

frame5.jpg

Edited by Mnemonic

That looks great. How sturdy is the MFD frame?

Peter

AMD RYZEN 7 2700 / 32GB / RTX2070 / 500GB M.2 with Windows and DCS / 2 - 500GB SSD / Rift S/ TM Warthog with F18 stick and Virpil WarBRD / Foxx Mounts/ MFG Crosswind rudders + 3 MFD's | Now enjoying VR with PointCTRL controllers + Gamematrix JetSeat

Thanks Peter!

It is ok, lower part is rock solid, upper part depends on how stiff you screw the bolts in (it holds on two bolts) which can be stiffened even more with some additional framing I guess.

However when I use it, I put it against a desk and then it's stiff.

I will be thinking into improving the framing, but main point for me at the moment was to try how the whole setup will work, and I like it a lot, quite intuitive.

F/A-18C Light VR Cockpit

i had this 9ee6b8b7a176da9f656654ef99b77fb4.jpg

you gave me the idea and today i did this

e856d778bb1e0267cd1272bded42200c.jpgeebc3df2dbc7593e29762ae95be362a8.jpgd076ef3dc871d976957425b88c91bf15.jpg

f81be0475a04389ec887fc9381ff91c0.jpg

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽 Meta Quest 3  🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, F-15EX Throttle, MFG Crosswinds v3, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

Looks great! :)

I keep doing minor adjustments to the button mapping.

Also made a modification for push-through afterburner detent on the throttle, awesome little mod, and fairly easy to do it yourself.

Edited by Mnemonic

Looks great! :)

I keep doing minor adjustments to the button mapping.

Also made a modification for push-through afterburner detent on the throttle, awesome little mod, and fairly easy to do it yourself.

could you show your mod?i was planning to do something similar

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽 Meta Quest 3  🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, F-15EX Throttle, MFG Crosswinds v3, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

could you show your mod?i was planning to do something similar

My guess is he refers to just sanding a bit so you get into burners just extra-pushing, rather than raising up the throttles.

It is either that, or printing a new afterburner detent with a 3D printer, in case you don´t want to mess with the original piece of plastic.

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

My guess is he refers to just sanding a bit so you get into burners just extra-pushing, rather than raising up the throttles.

It is either that, or printing a new afterburner detent with a 3D printer, in case you don´t want to mess with the original piece of plastic.

Yes, I sanded a "tooth" on the detent, here is a topic.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=133199

later I will post pic of mine