Kernel memory leaking on Intel processors

noctua is the best :> running my nh-d14 from almost 10 years and so far no issues at all

• CPU : Intel i7 8700k@5.0ghz cooled by Noctua NH-D15 / Motherboard:Asorck Z370 Taichi / RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ @3600mhz / SSD: 500GB Nvme Samsung 970 evo+1 TB Sabrent Nvme M2 / GPU:Asus Strix OC 2080TI / Monitor: LG 34KG950F Ultrawide / Trackir 5 proclip/ VIRPIL CM2 BASE + CM2 GRIP + F148 GRIP + 200M EXTENSION /VKB T-Rudder MKIV rudder /Case: Fractal Design R6 Define black

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I uninstalled the Windows 10 patch (for the first time ever I done this), simply because my Asus AI Suite III stopped working, which not only controls my overclocking, but also my fan speeds and monitors that of the water pump. I just don't feel safe running without this.

I used the Microsoft "Show or Hide Updates" tool to hide the patch from being installed, and so far it's working.

• Like 1

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

I uninstalled the Windows 10 patch (for the first time ever I done this), simply because my Asus AI Suite III stopped working, which not only controls my overclocking, but also my fan speeds and monitors that of the water pump. I just don't feel safe running without this.

I used the Microsoft "Show or Hide Updates" tool to hide the patch from being installed, and so far it's working.

You should be able to easily control your overclocking and fan speeds in the bios, however probably not monitor the water pump.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Try this: (only Ai-Suite-3, not 2)

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/asus-releases-ai-suite-3-beta-compatible-with-meltdown-spectre-windows-patch.html

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Glad it helped ;)

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Got the first update for my Win7 rig today. Not amused with results - comparing in Nevada cold start and takeoff missions for Mustang and Spit, I lost between 10 and 15 fps in both pit and external views. It will be probably worse with other units nearby - when looking left in Spit cold start mission (there's a second stationary Spit standing there), I lost 25-28 fps. Your mileage may vary :D.

If that's what this first, supposedly less resource hungry update yields, then I wonder what the second, Anti-Spectre one will bring.

• Like 1

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Got the first update for my Win7 rig today. Not amused with results - comparing in Nevada cold start and takeoff missions for Mustang and Spit, I lost between 10 and 15 fps in both pit and external views. It will be probably worse with other units nearby - when looking left in Spit cold start mission (there's a second stationary Spit standing there), I lost 25-28 fps. Your mileage may vary :D.

If that's what this first, supposedly less resource hungry update yields, then I wonder what the second, Anti-Spectre one will bring.

If you lost such a high amount of performance was because you were very close to a cpu bottleneck. Specially in Nevada. Strange, since you have a nice overclock, maybe checking that it is funcionting correctly could help :)

We'll see :(

Edited by Piston85

We have to redefine the era.

The era BEFORE Meltdown and Spectre & The era AFTER, when all new CPU's got fixed.

Nvidia will buy Intel in less than 3 years, this is my bet ! Intel will go down down down now, every day 1 step down the ladder, for many many days to come. I already have calls for AMD transitions, new Server plans went on Hold, Move-to-cloud got stopped...etcetcetc.

This really stirrs up the WHOLE IT world. You just cannot buy Intel now, you cannot.

Edited by BitMaster

blame bitcoin.

stealing those and other such currency is the only thing funding all this.

why for 13 years it really hasn't mattered.

now CPU need to be more secure than banks...

time locked doors etc...

Microsoft needs to add it to game mode..

when game mode is on the cpu runs less secure. because its a gaming PC and not a bank.

My Rig: AM5 7950X, 32GB DDR5 6000, M2 SSD, EVGA 1080 Superclocked, Warthog Throttle and Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Oculus Rift.

I dont see what crypto has to do with all this in 1st grade.

Sure, having a wallet with 150 BTC on an Intel machine now would make me nervous. Good move would be to move them to a Rasberry Pi, those are secure by design, just slow.

Forget security, this is an illusion you will always chase. De facto, with BILLIONS of circuits, which human mind shall oversee all the dependencies. 100% impossible, as just shown.

Take a paper wallet, a piece of paper and a pen, period ;)

From Softpedia news

Terry Myerson, Executive Vice President, Windows and Devices Group, explains in a lengthy post today that the impact systems are experiencing becomes more noticeable the older they get. This means that if your PC has the latest-generation silicon and runs on Windows 10, there’s a good chance you won’t notice anything different on a machine running the Meltdown and Spectre updates.

“These percentages are reflected in milliseconds,” Terry Myerson explained. Windows 10 devices with Skylake, Kaby Lake or newer CPUs are the least affected by the slowdowns, and the Microsoft exec says benchmarks showed only single-digit performance impacts.

Systems running Windows 10 on processors like Haswell and even older might experience “more significant slowdowns,” Myerson confirms, “and we expect that some users will notice a decrease in system performance.”

Noticeable slowdowns on Windows 7

Things are getting worse in the case of Windows 7 and Windows 8 on 2015-era CPUs, where the slowdowns caused by Meltdown and Spectre patches are the most noticeable, Microsoft says.

The same thing happens on Windows Server on pretty much any processors, and Myerson recommends IT admins to think twice before installing the patches. While it’s a bit surprising to hear Microsoft recommending against software updates, delaying deployment is less critical on Windows Server if these systems aren’t used for browsing or activities that could expose data to attacks, such as opening links facilitating exploits.

“Windows Server on any silicon, especially in any IO-intensive application, shows a more significant performance impact when you enable the mitigations to isolate untrusted code within a Windows Server instance,” Myerson explained.

As for why older versions of Windows and previous-generation processors are impacted by more significant slowdowns, Microsoft says they “have more user-kernel transitions because of legacy design decisions, such as all font rendering taking place in the kernel.” Detailed benchmarks will be published in the coming weeks to further analyze the slowdowns, Myerson promises.

“We’re also committed to being as transparent and factual as possible to help our customers make the best possible decisions for their devices and the systems that run organizations around the world,” the Microsoft executive concluded.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/microsoft-confirms-meltdown-and-spectre-updates-slow-down-windows-pcs-519297.shtml

I wonder how it will be for gaming servers ?

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I dont see what crypto has to do with all this in 1st grade.

Sure, having a wallet with 150 BTC on an Intel machine now would make me nervous. Good move would be to move them to a Rasberry Pi, those are secure by design, just slow.

Forget security, this is an illusion you will always chase. De facto, with BILLIONS of circuits, which human mind shall oversee all the dependencies. 100% impossible, as just shown.

Take a paper wallet, a piece of paper and a pen, period ;)

Intel is too big to NVIDIA to swallow even if they get hit hard in sales this year. But glad you mentioned it because there is a 3rd contender that might be small enough for them to buy and build CPU's from. VIA. This company has X86 licencing (they bought Cyrix back in late 90's) and they have been ramping up R&D to get back in CPU business.

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

So, before I start this is all a pretty new thing and I am not yet sure if it is going to impact us DCS players.... it seems, so far, that gamers aren't going to be directly impacted but the benchmarks and information is limited since it is so early (talk of performance hits range from 5-35%). It seems the more a program makes "system calls" the more the potential impact could be.

Need to point out why this is very serious security flaw.

The kernel means the operating system, the whole operating system when it is the monolithic kernel.

The "system call" is a operating system call, a transfer where a normal user space program calls the operating system in kernel space (in monolithic design, as in server-client architecture part of the OS are in user space) and that is the critical part.

The operating system is the "gatekeeper" between hardware and other software. Its task is to manage resources (hardware) and give access and time to them to other software. And the operating system is as well isolating every other software so that they don't get access to other software unless they are designed to make the connection.

This is not just a performance hit, this is serious security flaw as once you penetrate the operating system security layers, you get access to everything that any other software is doing.

And when this kind security flaw is in the hardware level, it is very difficult to really fix if you can't just "stop using" the hardware.

And if the part of the hardware is required to be used, then all things goes even more horribly difficult.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

We have to redefine the era.

The era BEFORE Meltdown and Spectre & The era AFTER, when all new CPU's got fixed.

Nvidia will buy Intel in less than 3 years, this is my bet ! Intel will go down down down now, every day 1 step down the ladder, for many many days to come. I already have calls for AMD transitions, new Server plans went on Hold, Move-to-cloud got stopped...etcetcetc.

This really stirrs up the WHOLE IT world. You just cannot buy Intel now, you cannot.

I don't know. They survived the FDIV bug and that was an actual recall. Everyone thought they were stupid for coming out with SX/DX line and they did well. And this too will blow over. So much so that I bought INTC, we'll see how that pans out.

We live in a world where EVERY tech is paying the price of state sponsored cyber terrorism and big $$$$/criminals in cyber attacks in general. It's the new Fulton Fish market, the new triad, the new Zettas, the new Las Vegas etc.

It'll be an interesting ride, 2018 and beyond. As I anxiously count off 9 more days! :joystick::D

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Need to point out why this is very serious security flaw.

The kernel means the operating system, the whole operating system when it is the monolithic kernel.

The "system call" is a operating system call, a transfer where a normal user space program calls the operating system in kernel space (in monolithic design, as in server-client architecture part of the OS are in user space) and that is the critical part.

The operating system is the "gatekeeper" between hardware and other software. Its task is to manage resources (hardware) and give access and time to them to other software. And the operating system is as well isolating every other software so that they don't get access to other software unless they are designed to make the connection.

This is not just a performance hit, this is serious security flaw as once you penetrate the operating system security layers, you get access to everything that any other software is doing.

And when this kind security flaw is in the hardware level, it is very difficult to really fix if you can't just "stop using" the hardware.

And if the part of the hardware is required to be used, then all things goes even more horribly difficult.

I have seen Spectre at work, it is amazing, it is fearsome, it is such that I wanna open my window and throw this rig out !

Every damn hacker wants to get behind it now, and be the first to rob AT&T, VW and Bank of Brazil all same time. Then empty a few BTC accounts, it's so easy, why not, and then maybe fool Steam and messupo their DB, happy gaming... Like that.

We have not yet seen ANY attack based on those vectors, they will come, grab a beer and lean back, secure your stuff and watch. This has not even started yet, we read the welcome pages and who are the actors, the show has yet to start.

Lots, lots of AMD builds soon, hehe

Edited by BitMaster

from [H]:

In general, our experience is that Variant 1 and Variant 3 mitigations have minimal performance impact, while Variant 2 remediation, including OS and microcode, has a performance impact.

Here is the summary of what we have found so far:

* With Windows 10 on newer silicon (2016-era PCs with Skylake, Kabylake or newer CPU), benchmarks show single-digit slowdowns, but we don’t expect most users to notice a change because these percentages are reflected in milliseconds.

* With Windows 10 on older silicon (2015-era PCs with Haswell or older CPU), some benchmarks show more significant slowdowns, and we expect that some users will notice a decrease in system performance.

* With Windows 8 and Windows 7 on older silicon (2015-era PCs with Haswell or older CPU), we expect most users to notice a decrease in system performance.

* Windows Server on any silicon, especially in any IO-intensive application, shows a more significant performance impact when you enable the mitigations to isolate untrusted code within a Windows Server instance. This is why you want to be careful to evaluate the risk of untrusted code for each Windows Server instance, and balance the security versus performance tradeoff for your environment.

goes to show you, that "Intel Performance" Gap was too good to be true...

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

no one, not 1 person, would have thought that AMD would be up top so quick, so firm, so undisputed,...18 month ago

even after ryzen launch, no one thought this shift could happen.

IT IS HAPPENING WHILE I TYPE :megalol:

nVidia GPUs are also Affected by Meltdown and Variant 2, but Safe from Spectre

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

nVidia GPUs are also Affected by Meltdown and Variant 2, but Safe from Spectre

Its the driver code .. that runs on the CPU that is at issue is it not ?

METAR weather for DCS World missions

Guide to help out new DCS MOOSE Users -> HERE

Havoc Company Dedicated server info Connect IP: 94.23.215.203

SRS enabled - freqs - Main = 243, A2A = 244, A2G = 245

Please contact me HERE if you have any server feedback or METAR issues/requests

I havent gotten any patch yet from windows 10. Is that normal?

Do I need to do something?

I think your CPU is not fixed yet. Have a bunch of machines, 1st.i7's and 2nd gen. Xeons, no patches yet.

You may can DL it directly, google the fix/Cpu