Introducing the VPC MongoosT-50

Cyph3r

I will also tell you, my second gimbal when I move the stick back and forth while not flying, I can feel a little roughness in the cams. However while flying, with the gentler movements, I do not notice it at all.

Cyph3r kindly had them send me replacement cams, without my asking for them, that are polished very well. So I have the option to replace them should I desire.

However, as I do not notice it at all while flying , I probably am not going to try another replacement myself. It does not seem to effect my ability to make small and precise movements, and I really do not want to go there again after the struggle I had with the first one.

I am sure I am the exception to the rule, and most guys have no trouble at all doing the process. I would strongly urge you to watch that video and also read the replacement directions from their website to best prepare for it should you decide to go ahead with it.

Cyph3r also told me if the cam screws have some resistance, could heat with a hair dryer to loosen up the thread locker. I wish I had done that on my first gimbal.

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I replaced the spring, it feels better now, i leave the cam as it is

Maybe I have to adjust the screws, a bit

Edited by Lenux

I9 12900k@ 5 GHz | 32 GB DDR4 | Asus ROG  Strix Z690-A Gaming Wifi d4| RTX 3090 | 6 TB SSD + 8 TB HDD | 4K Samsung Q90R 55" | VKB MK III PRO L | Virpil Throttle MONGOOST-50 | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR5

I replaced the spring, it feels better now, i live the cam as it is

Maybe I have to adjust the screws, a bit

:thumbup:

Yep those screws are very adjustable, just tweak it on pitch and roll to your best liking for the feel around center and resistance.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I just love this joystick, some big companies should take notice how to really build joysticks

I9 12900k@ 5 GHz | 32 GB DDR4 | Asus ROG  Strix Z690-A Gaming Wifi d4| RTX 3090 | 6 TB SSD + 8 TB HDD | 4K Samsung Q90R 55" | VKB MK III PRO L | Virpil Throttle MONGOOST-50 | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR5

I read in this thread that the T-50 can be mounted via the bottom of the base. However, in an email I received from VirPil support it was stated: "2. The MT-50 does not mount via the underside bolts like the TM Warthog. We include a U-Bracket for attaching to the VPC Desk Mount. The U-Bracket attaches to 4 bolt holes which you can mount directly to instead with your own adapter."

So I'm a little confused. I use an Obutto Revolution and the VirPil desk mount is not an option for me. I'm trying to determine whether or not I can mount this to my TMWH mount or what sort of adapter I would require.

I asked about this too. You can mount via the underside bolts, but it wasn't designed for this. If you mount this way and use high stick forces you could damage it.

Ah, okay. I can't find the exact post I'm thinking of, but I recall the pictures showed it bottom-mounted. It was earlier in this thread, though, so I guess that was "old info" and the current solution is only to use the u-bracket.

Do we know if the base case be easily rotated so that the bracket is either on the front of the base or the rear? Is it a matter of reversing axes in the software or sim? Or is it a physical limitation in the connector at the attachment of the grip to the base (since the grip has an obvious front/back)?

I'm just trying to figure out how to mount this...

IIRC, the VKB bases basically mount like the TMWH (not sure, but possibly even have matching mounting dimensions?).

Ah, okay. I can't find the exact post I'm thinking of, but I recall the pictures showed it bottom-mounted. It was earlier in this thread, though, so I guess that was "old info" and the current solution is only to use the u-bracket.

Do we know if the base case be easily rotated so that the bracket is either on the front of the base or the rear? Is it a matter of reversing axes in the software or sim? Or is it a physical limitation in the connector at the attachment of the grip to the base (since the grip has an obvious front/back)?

I'm just trying to figure out how to mount this...

IIRC, the VKB bases basically mount like the TMWH (not sure, but possibly even have matching mounting dimensions?).

Officially, we recommend to mount with the U-bracket or directly to the 4 x mounting holes on the rear side. This connects directly to the gimbal housing and provides a very strong mounting point.

If you want the bracket on the other side, you can of course do this and just inverse the X/Y axis (which you'll be able to do either in each sim you fly, or via firmware with the VPC Software). I know of some users that have done this when mounting the MT-50 to the Obutto!

► Website: www.virpil.com // ► Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/VirPilControls // ► Twitter: https://twitter.com/VirPilControls

For support please email support@virpil.com to open a ticket!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I wonder how this joystick works with the Thrustmaster Warthog base

Not sure, but I think everyone would say, the T50 base is better

I asked about this too. You can mount via the underside bolts, but it wasn't designed for this. If you mount this way and use high stick forces you could damage it.

Curious, the botton plate is bolted with screw in "half" holes on case, what suggest that this plate - or a plate bolted there, is not good place for mount the joystick.

But the pictures in this video ~3:36 show that top plate is fixed in the same way, with "half" holes - without "collateral effect". :)

I wonder how this joystick works with the Thrustmaster Warthog base

Not sure, but I think everyone would say, the T50 base is better

Oh yeah, by a long shot!

Don B

Curious, the botton plate is bolted with screw in "half" holes on case, what suggest that this plate - or a plate bolted there, is not good place for mount the joystick.

But the pictures in this video ~3:36 show that top plate is fixed in the same way, with "half" holes - without "collateral effect". :)

The top plate isn't exactly fixed to the case, rather the four screws are there to attach the case to the top. The mech is attached to the top plate which holds it all in place, the mount then screws directly into the mechanism through the holes in the case. You could technically use the stick without the case but I doubt they'd recommend that.

Oh yeah, by a long shot!

Yup! Not even close but the stick works perfectly fine on my WH-base. For me, there is simply no reason to use the WH-base since the WH-stick also works perfectly on the t-50 base - the A-10C is so much fun with the t-50 + extension on their desk mount.

Edited by Pasquale1986

Main Module: AH-64D

Personal Wishlist: HH-60G, F-117A, B-52H

I received word that at least a few people have mounted their MT-50 bases to Obutto pits. Any such folks watching this thread? I'd be very interested in learning how this was done. I'd like to be able to keep the center mount basically as it is with the TMWH. I'm thinking the front U-bracket could mount to an adapter extending from the front of the circular plate and the base of the T-50 could just sit (or not) on that plate as well. The mounting would be done with the normal T-50 bracket and an adapter, but the position of the circular plate is pretty optimal at least how I have it now.

If anything, I wouldn't mind even having an adapter sit on the plate, thereby bringing the T-50 aft even a bit further.

I placed an order last week, anyone know how long it takes for the unit to ship after the order is confirmed?

I ordered a pair of L/R joysticks on the 20th of October... They are apparently waiting for the desk mounts (which are coming at the end of the week).

ED/SC/FSX fan

I received word that at least a few people have mounted their MT-50 bases to Obutto pits. Any such folks watching this thread? I'd be very interested in learning how this was done. I'd like to be able to keep the center mount basically as it is with the TMWH. I'm thinking the front U-bracket could mount to an adapter extending from the front of the circular plate and the base of the T-50 could just sit (or not) on that plate as well. The mounting would be done with the normal T-50 bracket and an adapter, but the position of the circular plate is pretty optimal at least how I have it now.

If anything, I wouldn't mind even having an adapter sit on the plate, thereby bringing the T-50 aft even a bit further.

http://www.mudspike.com/vpc-mongoos-t-50-review/

Go to the comments section of this review, it is discussed there. Major pain in the ass to get it done, so fair warning.

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

That's unfortunate, I was hoping it would be here before the harrier releases. My poor warthog is on its last legs. Thanks for the info though.

Yeah but will be so worth the wait.

Don B

adaptor for the moongoose base

I too thought of using the bottom plate as the only way to secure the base. I highly doubt it will stand up to years of abuse though.

A solution to the problem of centremounting the mongoose base could be this:

I ordered a 10 mm alu L-profile 200mmx100mm (width 110, same as the warthog base ) and cut it to shape.

It bolts to the warthog bottom plate(which is secure to my centremount), and the Mongoos base bolts firmly to the "adaptor" and does NOT move a millimeter now.

Now it just needs a paint job.

pic1.thumb.JPG.1e68ebf1eebc7160a8040033b2e3003d.JPG

pic2.thumb.JPG.81d8a6387465768d0a4fbb00161d80ce.JPG

pic3.thumb.JPG.450384e077251d70855cfe1d25062cac.JPG

Edited by voucher76
spelling
  • Like 1

When i pitch or roll, the device get disconnected ( unplugged / plugged in , that's what i see ingame )

I tried some tests with the Virpil software, same story ( with and without the grip )

Is there something i could do ?

Thank you

Edited by Lenux

Looks like the desk mounts are coming on Monday. Too bad they couldn’t quite make it today. Oh well, what’s a few more days, anyway? Total time from order to shipping: exactly one month. 20th October ordered, shipping on Monday 20th Nov.

Considering how small the company is, and how popular they seem to be, I’m not really surprised.

ED/SC/FSX fan