Introducing the VPC MongoosT-50

Cyph3r

One thing I did notice, in either Windows calibration or DCS - are you guys able to deflect pitch axis all the way up/down? Mine never seems to be able to get to the edge, no matter what spring I use and how much I tighten/free it up. Roll axis is just as it should, it's just as if I'm hitting mechanical limit on pitch axis slightly before I should...

Mine appears to be going full travel, that is one of the first things I checked in Windows game controller settings when I got it hooked up.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine never seems to be able to get to the edge, no matter what spring I use and how much I tighten/free it up. Roll axis is just as it should, it's just as if I'm hitting mechanical limit on pitch axis slightly before I should...

Yes. Mine does the same too. The joystick goes to the front left and right corners fine, but doesn't seem to get to the back corners. Haven't plugged the joystick in yet but already a bit bummed out about the faulty cams and now this.

Well I took another look in windows joystick settings, it does appear to come up just slightly short of full pitch down - but it appears to be an extremely small amount at least on my end, not enough to cause me any real concern on it at least for me.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I do not recommend trying to calibrate the Mongoose in Windows calibration routine.

I thought I would see how it did, and when pressing the brake lever axis during the calibration it apparently sees the button press that occurs quickly as the end of the movement, then it will show a very rapid movement to full on brake with just a little lever pull.

I cancelled out of the calibration routine so it would not apply it to my setting, so all is well. Only reason I tried it was curious if that would help the pitch axis not going all the way to full down. Mine gets pretty close though so am not going to worry with it.

Maybe when Virpil gets the software out it will have a calibration routine that will work properly with the Mongoose.

Don B

I've just re-connected Warthog to see what it shows in Windows and it is fairly similar to T50 - so, as I suspected, this is non-issue and there appears nothing wrong.

I've calibrated T50 in Windows and tried in DCS - I don't think Windows calibration is limiting axis movement in anyway. There is also an option to reset to default setting in calibration settings....

Edited by mx22

The more time I spend with this stick the better I like it. It seems to have also helped in my Spitfire flying abilities, have been greasing in some nice landings. My fingers are getting more used to the button locations now which helps also, rather than having to think about it all the time.

I am hoping I can get my replacement cams soon, as I really want to go with the soft center cams and replace the springs with the softer springs as well at the same time, rather than installing them on separate occasions. I can only imagine how great it will feel then.

Also I have assigned the pinky button as a modifier in the controller setup menu, to expand my number of available buttons. At first I was a little concerned with the placement of that pinky button and how it would be depressing and holding it whilst pressing another button - so far though seems to be working out fine for me. I have fairly large hands too which probably helps.

Edited by dburne

Don B

Did you fly Warthog with the same extensions as T50? For me, extensions were the biggest game changer on how easy it is to control any of the planes - the longer, the better. I see no difference between Warthog and T50 in this regard.

I think spring loading is dependent on what plane you fly. Spit is super sensitive as is, putting soft springs will just make you burn your energy faster - this is definitely one of the planes that could benefit from stronger springs IMO (even with default springs, it does not take much at all to induce heavy breathing from the 'pilot'). It's all very individual though, so I guess whatever floats your boat;)

Tested the joystick now and I can push it to the front corners but there's something physically obstructing the movement to the back corners. I can just about pull it straight back but not to the corners. Sure a software will help but the joystick is still limited in it's range of motion.

When I receive the new cams I'll probably change the spring as well. Maybe it's too long or something weird. Or maybe the coarse cam itself is the culprit. Who knows. At least all the buttons seemed to work.

Did you fly Warthog with the same extensions as T50? For me, extensions were the biggest game changer on how easy it is to control any of the planes - the longer, the better. I see no difference between Warthog and T50 in this regard.

I think spring loading is dependent on what plane you fly. Spit is super sensitive as is, putting soft springs will just make you burn your energy faster - this is definitely one of the planes that could benefit from stronger springs IMO (even with default springs, it does not take much at all to induce heavy breathing from the 'pilot'). It's all very individual though, so I guess whatever floats your boat;)

Yes I had been flying the Warthog with a 7.5cm extension so obviously the longer extension helps as well. But man this gimbal is smooth.

The springs that came installed on mine by default, are just too strong and springy imho for me, even flying with 175mm extension - I am sure the softer springs will really help that, will see when I do get them put in eventually.

Don B

One thing I did notice, in either Windows calibration or DCS - are you guys able to deflect pitch axis all the way up/down? Mine never seems to be able to get to the edge, no matter what spring I use and how much I tighten/free it up. Roll axis is just as it should, it's just as if I'm hitting mechanical limit on pitch axis slightly before I should...

Tested the joystick now and I can push it to the front corners but there's something physically obstructing the movement to the back corners. I can just about pull it straight back but not to the corners. Sure a software will help but the joystick is still limited in it's range of motion.

When I receive the new cams I'll probably change the spring as well. Maybe it's too long or something weird. Or maybe the coarse cam itself is the culprit. Who knows. At least all the buttons seemed to work.

Hi guys, can you use something like dview or dxtweak as mention by Sokol to get a more accurate reading of the axis range? Also it's worth noting that overtightening the tension adjustment screws can start to limit the physical travel, so you've got to balance it!

Nabaza, it is possible the cams are causing you issues. Have you emailed sale@virpil.com with a request for new cams?

The more time I spend with this stick the better I like it. It seems to have also helped in my Spitfire flying abilities, have been greasing in some nice landings. My fingers are getting more used to the button locations now which helps also, rather than having to think about it all the time.

I am hoping I can get my replacement cams soon, as I really want to go with the soft center cams and replace the springs with the softer springs as well at the same time, rather than installing them on separate occasions. I can only imagine how great it will feel then.

Also I have assigned the pinky button as a modifier in the controller setup menu, to expand my number of available buttons. At first I was a little concerned with the placement of that pinky button and how it would be depressing and holding it whilst pressing another button - so far though seems to be working out fine for me. I have fairly large hands too which probably helps.

Mine is great no problems whatsoever very smooth and precise. I started with pliers but it would not budge.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Glad you're enjoying the MT-50 guys!

► Website: www.virpil.com // ► Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/VirPilControls // ► Twitter: https://twitter.com/VirPilControls

For support please email support@virpil.com to open a ticket!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi guys, can you use something like dview or dxtweak as mention by Sokol to get a more accurate reading of the axis range?

Hi Cyph3r,

Here is the screenshot of dxtweak. X axis (roll) is centered and can travel full length of the bar. Y axis is not centered and at full deflection in either side, there is one bar left to go. Springs are not tighten all the way... Also, there is some spiking in numbers a lot of the time in both axis in Value and Raw fields when joystick at rest (I'm using no center cams in case it matters).

t50.jpg.e030963c66ddca4a7c5b3caec8795ea5.jpg

Hi Cyph3r,

Here is the screenshot of dxtweak. X axis (roll) is centered and can travel full length of the bar. Y axis is not centered and at full deflection in either side, there is one bar left to go. Springs are not tighten all the way... Also, there is some spiking in numbers a lot of the time in both axis in Value and Raw fields when joystick at rest (I'm using no center cams in case it matters).

Hi mx22, shoot this over to support@virpil.com and I'll get our electronics engineer to have a look :)

► Website: www.virpil.com // ► Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/VirPilControls // ► Twitter: https://twitter.com/VirPilControls

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

21st August 2017 // Announcement No. 21

► The First in Space!

From the 22nd to the 27th of August, the international Military-Technical Forum “Army-2017” will be held at the Patriot ExpoCenter, Alabino Testing Grounds and the Kubinka Aerodrome.

VPCArmy2017_01.jpg

Along with displays of military, rocket and space technology and their latest developments, visitors to the ROSKOSMOS exhibition at pavilion A will be able to experience the latest Virage-VR 1.0 demo stand. Developed using the federal Digital Earth project framework, by the Russian Space Systems holding company “Constanta Design” with the participation of the VIRPIL Controls team.

VPCArmy2017_03.jpg

"Digital Earth” will form the basis of a whole family of new geo-informational services, aimed at a wide range of consumers. The planet modelling will be accurate all the way down to 1m, with periodic updating according to remote sensing data of the Earth.

VPCArmy2017_02.jpg

Thanks to the VPC MongoosT-50 dual-flightstick control system (Standard and Left Hand), popular among many space-sim enthusiasts, fixed with the VPC Desk Mounts, you can make a virtual flight over the Black Sea coast, rise above the Earth to a height of 200 thousand kilometers and accelerate to half the speed of light and explore the cosmos with unparalleled levels of control and precision.

Edited by Cyph3r

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

21st August 2017 // Announcement No. 21

► The First in Space!

From the 22nd to the 27th of August, the international Military-Technical Forum “Army-2017” will be held at the Patriot ExpoCenter, Alabino Testing Grounds and the Kubinka Aerodrome.

VPCArmy2017_01.jpg

Along with displays of military, rocket and space technology and their latest developments, visitors to the ROSKOSMOS exhibition at pavilion A will be able to experience the latest Virage-VR 1.0 demo stand. Developed using the federal Digital Earth project framework, by the Russian Space Systems holding company “Constanta Design” with the participation of the VIRPIL Controls team.

VPCArmy2017_03.jpg

"Digital Earth” will form the basis of a whole family of new geo-informational services, aimed at a wide range of consumers. The planet modelling will be accurate all the way down to 1m, with periodic updating according to remote sensing data of the Earth.

VPCArmy2017_02.jpg

Thanks to the VPC MongoosT-50 dual-flightstick control system (Standard and Left Hand), popular among many space-sim enthusiasts, fixed with the VPC Desk Mounts, you can make a virtual flight over the Black Sea coast, rise above the Earth to a height of 200 thousand kilometers and accelerate to half the speed of light and explore the cosmos with unparalleled levels of control and precision.

Awesome! This is almost the setup I am going for. However I will be doing a combination of centermount for the main pitch and roll stick with extension for increased precision and the left handed for the strafe axes without any extension.

I hope my package arrives soon so i can show you guys:)

Cheers!

David

Awesome! This is almost the setup I am going for. However I will be doing a combination of centermount for the main pitch and roll stick with extension for increased precision and the left handed for the strafe axes without any extension.

I hope my package arrives soon so i can show you guys:)

Cheers!

David

This is the exact same setup I'm planning for my space-sim pit :thumbsup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I also play Elite Dagerous - and that setup looks very good, though I still have hope the throttle will have an analog stick...

I like the reversal of the stick/mounts.

For some unknown reason, I had not thought to do that for my chair... Simple, yet, effective.

Z...

Edited by Barefoot Bandit

I also play Elite Dagerous - and that setup looks very good, though I still have hope the throttle will have an analog stick...

Z...

I have been meaning to pick up ED and giving it a whirl, this may help give me an excuse to hold off for now - don't want to be tempted to buy another controller LOL.

Besides I am having so much fun and spending so much time in the two combat sims I have , don't know where I would find the time. And I am retired!

Don B

Yaw on pedals and strave up and down on rudder brakes?:)

Star Citizen? Elite Dangerous? Both?:)

SC and ED :)

I haven't settled on a control layout yet as I haven't set my space-pit up! I fly decoupled and I think the first layout I'll be trying is:

Right Hand

X Axis = Yaw

Y Axis = Pitch

Brake Lever = Forward Thrust

Left Hand

X Axis = Horizontal Thrust

Y Axis = Vertical Thrust

Brake Lever = Reverse Thrust/Space brake

Pedals = Roll

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

SC and ED :)

I haven't settled on a control layout yet as I haven't set my space-pit up! I fly decoupled and I think the first layout I'll be trying is:

Right Hand

X Axis = Yaw

Y Axis = Pitch

Brake Lever = Forward Thrust

Left Hand

X Axis = Horizontal Thrust

Y Axis = Vertical Thrust

Brake Lever = Reverse Thrust/Space brake

Pedals = Roll

Hahahahha! Great minds think alike! Pretty much what I was thinking. I can't remember if ED allows you to map forward and reverse thrust discretely as analog inputs or not, but even without, it should work well enough. Though, I think I will stick to pedals for yaw, seeing as I'm quite used to it.

I have been meaning to pick up ED and giving it a whirl, this may help give me an excuse to hold off for now - don't want to be tempted to buy another controller LOL.

Besides I am having so much fun and spending so much time in the two combat sims I have , don't know where I would find the time. And I am retired!

Smart move to stay away. ED is like DCS in some ways, the learning curve is quite steep - not Warthog steep, but it takes a bit of time. The game is then a huge time sink - not unlike DCS, you can't just jump in for a quick 10 minute play...

Heck, I still have unplayed DCS modules because I spend too much time in ED. I'm now forcing myself to join a deep space expedition, which I know full well is way below my pace, so that I have a good reason to properly get back into DCS again. I need to learn to fly that damn Huey!

Z...

Edited by Barefoot Bandit