How to increase Pixel Density/SuperSample in HTC VIVE - ED Forums

Notices

Old 06-26-2016, 01:00 AM   #1
illuzian

Reputation power: 0
illuzian is on a distinguished road
Default How to increase Pixel Density/SuperSample in HTC VIVE

Ok guys, after the latest patch failed to assist I had a look and discovered we can actually increase pixel density.

I've tested and... THE A-10C HUD IS READABLE.

How to:
  1. go to your steam install path for me this is C:\Games\Steam for many it will be C:\Program Files(x86)\Steam
  2. Enter the config directory
  3. Open steamvr.vrsettings in notepad or your preferred text editor(sublime etc not word)
  4. Under "steamvr" add "renderTargetMultiplier": 2.5 (with a multiplier of your choice)
IMPORTANT: between each item there should be a , EXCEPT for the last one(so Python programmers beware)

Mine looks like this for example:
Code:
   "steamvr" : {
      "allowReprojection" : true,
      "background" : "C:\\Program Files (x86)\\ViveSetup\\Updater\\viveNight.png",
      "renderTargetMultiplier": 2.5
   },
Notice my renderTargetMutliplier has no trailing ,

Beware this will affect all games so you may want to adjust or remove it between games. You may also need to tweak your graphics settings again.

Finally... PROFIT

|6700K @ 4.6Ghz|GTX 1080 FE|Maximus VIII Extreme|32Gb DDR4 RAM @2400Mhz|HTC Vive|
DCS Dream Wishlist: 1. Better VR Performance/Performance Overall 2. Dynamic Campaign, 3. Fully Modelled: F16, F18, F14, F15, AH64, AH1, MI24, SU27, MIG29, EF Typhoon 4. Better ATC

Last edited by illuzian; 06-26-2016 at 01:04 AM. Reason: Typo
illuzian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 09:18 AM   #2
jthlau

jthlau is on a distinguished road

Can't wait to make a test now, Thx Bro
jthlau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 09:46 AM   #3
jthlau

illuzian, I've just made a test, confirm it's REALLY work. Eventually got a readable HUD!!!! And feel that the $699 MSRP toys is not a garbage!!

Just a preliminary test, and my initial thought.

1) As it's a global change of setting, it's work on both 1.5.4 and 2.0.2, which means I can have a readable HUD with Nevada Map;

2) Follow you in setting the multiplier to 2.5, just a little drop of FPS on 1.5.4, but a significant drop of FPS (to 20FPS) in 2.0.2, but interesting is -> the small word in the throttle pad are also readable.

3) I'm with 6700K @4.6Ghz + GTX 980Ti with ~15%OC now, above test are with "Low settings" on most of setting. Anyone can give me an answer whether it can be improved with GTX 1080.

Well well, I'm just a player, not a technical guy. What I'm scare to upgrade is -> eventually found out it's something about the limitation of game engine (DX12 vs DX11) and make a waste for buying the new 1080 card.....

But again, thx illuzian.
Old 06-26-2016, 09:47 AM   #4
average_pilot

Reputation power: 12
average_pilot is a jewel in the roughaverage_pilot is a jewel in the roughaverage_pilot is a jewel in the roughaverage_pilot is a jewel in the roughaverage_pilot is a jewel in the roughaverage_pilot is a jewel in the roughaverage_pilot is a jewel in the roughaverage_pilot is a jewel in the rough

Excellent!
average_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 10:01 AM   #5
MainSail

Reputation power: 9
MainSail is on a distinguished road

Win10-X64, I5,-3570K oc-4.7Ghz, 16GB DDR3, Zotac GTX 1080, HOTAS Warthog, MFG crosswind pedals, KW-908 Jetseat , HTC Vive.
MainSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 10:05 AM   #6
jthlau

Another quick testing result is-> With exacting the same setting over 1.5.4 & 2.0.2, 1.5.4 makes much better performance in terms of FPS.

Wait for you guys to make more professional testing! Lol.
Old 06-26-2016, 10:23 AM   #7
illuzian

illuzian is on a distinguished road

Really stoked this has aided you guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthlau View Post
3) I'm with 6700K @4.6Ghz + GTX 980Ti with ~15%OC now, above test are with "Low settings" on most of setting. Anyone can give me an answer whether it can be improved with GTX 1080.
Running a 1080 here on a 3770k CPU had to tweak my settings a little from the default VR settings and it's definitely playable for me but I've not jumped in MP, just Instant Action and ramp start.

Going back on shift for the next 4 days so hopefully some other chums can do some in depth testing to see if they can find some reasonable settings. I'm currently on 2.0 density and plan on testing 1.5 and some other settings to see how I go.

|6700K @ 4.6Ghz|GTX 1080 FE|Maximus VIII Extreme|32Gb DDR4 RAM @2400Mhz|HTC Vive|
DCS Dream Wishlist: 1. Better VR Performance/Performance Overall 2. Dynamic Campaign, 3. Fully Modelled: F16, F18, F14, F15, AH64, AH1, MI24, SU27, MIG29, EF Typhoon 4. Better ATC
illuzian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 10:24 AM   #8
ReggiePerrin

ReggiePerrin is on a distinguished road

Mainsail, I see you're running a 970, same as me, have you tried this yet? If so what have you set yours to please?

[Open Q, so applies to anyone with a 970 and Vive...many thanks to Illuzian for this]
ReggiePerrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 10:45 AM   #9
funkyfranky

Reputation power: 11
funkyfranky is a glorious beacon of lightfunkyfranky is a glorious beacon of lightfunkyfranky is a glorious beacon of lightfunkyfranky is a glorious beacon of lightfunkyfranky is a glorious beacon of lightfunkyfranky is a glorious beacon of lightfunkyfranky is a glorious beacon of lightfunkyfranky is a glorious beacon of lightfunkyfranky is a glorious beacon of lightfunkyfranky is a glorious beacon of lightfunkyfranky is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by illuzian View Post
Ok guys, after the latest patch failed to assist I had a look and discovered we can actually increase pixel density.
Brilliant, mate! You made my day!

Quote:
  1. Under "steamvr" add "renderTargetMultiplier": 2.5 (with a multiplier of your choice)
I did so much testing with all kinds of settings nothing worked and it was actually so "easy" Hope they will include this in the steamVR app soon.

Quote:
IMPORTANT: between each item there should be a , EXCEPT for the last one(so Python programmers beware)
Thanks for that!

Mind you that you can erase point 4 of your signature...
Old 06-26-2016, 11:02 AM   #10
MainSail

Reputation power: 9
MainSail is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReggiePerrin View Post
Mainsail, I see you're running a 970, same as me, have you tried this yet? If so what have you set yours to please?

[Open Q, so applies to anyone with a 970 and Vive...many thanks to Illuzian for this]
Yes, did a quick test on all low settings except textures (mission A-10 runway takeoff) and my framerate dropped from steady 45 (reprojection) to low 30' on the 2.5 setting. With renderTargetMultiplier: 1.5 fps is switching between 45 and 90 fps. I'm not sure about the gain in quality yet (I already had a readable hud with the larger hud font mod installed), have to do some more testing.

My GPU clock speed is 1470 Mhz and the memory is running at 4000 Mhz.

Win10-X64, I5,-3570K oc-4.7Ghz, 16GB DDR3, Zotac GTX 1080, HOTAS Warthog, MFG crosswind pedals, KW-908 Jetseat , HTC Vive.

Last edited by MainSail; 06-26-2016 at 11:34 AM. Reason: GPU overclock added.
MainSail is offline   Reply With Quote