DCS A10 Question: GBU-38

NECK

Hello everyone!

I have just started playing this awesome simulator, and have a few questions regarding employment of the GBU 38:

- Is there a way to set the impact angle of the weapon?

- Is there a way to set delayed fuzing?

- Is there a way to set the azimuth of impact of the weapon?

NECK

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes

turned skyward for there you have been, and there you will always long to return"

Neck.png

132nd Public documents - Want to apply? - 132nd Youtube channel - 132nd Discord Channel

No to all points I'm afraid. The JDAM is one of the only weapons still using a simplified model, hopefully it'll be updated at some point.

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

Thanks for the quick reply, do you know if you can deliver the weapon in both BOC and BOT mode? (Bomb on Coordinate and bomb on target)?

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes

turned skyward for there you have been, and there you will always long to return"

Neck.png

132nd Public documents - Want to apply? - 132nd Youtube channel - 132nd Discord Channel

JDAM is a BOC weapon. In the case of the A-10C, the JDAM is employed only in the TOO mode withthecoordinates being derived from the current SPI generator. PB mode, and the associated options are not available.

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

Yes, i know that. But you can deliver JDAMs with two options:

BOC : Coordinates given by for instance a JTAC, and the pilot does not ever have to see the target.

BOT : Coordinates updated from the targeting pod, prior to weapon release, requires pilot to see the target, and update the weapong with the latest coordinates.

So i guess both is possible in this simulator?

Neck.png

Ah, ok, I get what you mean now.

Yes, both options are possible. In fact there is no difference in operation as far as the Hog goes.

In order to drop on coords you simply create a waypoint using said coords, make that waypoint the active steer point and set the steer point as the SPI generator. To use the TGP you simply set the TGP as the SPI generator.

There is no ability to set the target coords for individual weapons via the DSMS, or any other options normally associated with PB mode in other aircraft.

• Like 1

Spoiler

NECK,

At this time you can only deliver JDAMS in CCRP mode. Although a grid is update by pod doesnt make it a BOT delivery.

Be aware that the JTAC can use any grid he gets but in those cloudy days its recommended strongly he use specific computer programs with special software that allows him to pull a mensurated grid. If the grid is taken simply by plugging bearing and distance into his gps the error in the grid can be huge! A category 1 grid which is the only grid an aircraft should drop a weapon for you is an error of 1-6meters and there is not alot of systems out there that can do that. . I.E. a category 2 or 3 coordinate depending on where the aircraft is etc. (best place to grab the grid is 90 degrees over the target.

Im sure you know but in reality JTACs can ask for in remarks a "Weapon attack heading" in lieu of a "aircraft final attack heading". However the game is not modeled this way.

The GBU-39 for example is under review because no one can tell where it goes in flight. It has actually performed a loop and turned back around and still made it to tgt but its impossible to tell before the computer is rescripted how it gets to tgt without clearing the entire airspace around it for propper aircraft deconfliction. So I dont mind that ED didnt simulate that.

However the fuzing is important and unless i missed it I can not adjust it. Its a shame for those light vehicle groups and infantry in the open.

• Like 1

My CAS (Close air support) JTAC Channel:  RIFLE - YouTube  

RIFLE's Discord:  https://discord.gg/cmDCrr4Z2g  

Publications

JTAC Bible (see/know chapter #5) https://fas.org/irp/doddir/dod/jp3_09_3.pdf

J-FIRE pocket guide (Don't do battle without it!)  BK2 (fas.org)

However the fuzing is important and unless i missed it I can not adjust it. Its a shame for those light vehicle groups and infantry in the open.

Nope, different fusing types are not modelled at present. And there isn't any point modelling them either until the weapon warhead and damage modelling systems are also updated to make things like airburst and delay fuses useful.

Spoiler

NECK I picked up on that. Out there for a good read.

Eddie, I dont know what your scope is when speaking with the ED team but to follow up i have made mistakes when employing GBU-12 and the weapon in one case did about a 180 degree turn back wards towards the laser energy when in reality the seeker head cant see that far back. The bomb should have just landed in the basket.

FYI.

My CAS (Close air support) JTAC Channel:  RIFLE - YouTube  

RIFLE's Discord:  https://discord.gg/cmDCrr4Z2g  

Publications

JTAC Bible (see/know chapter #5) https://fas.org/irp/doddir/dod/jp3_09_3.pdf

J-FIRE pocket guide (Don't do battle without it!)  BK2 (fas.org)

Well if you ever see such behaviour again, and can reliably replicate it, let us know.

GBU-12s do use the bomb AFM, unlike GBU-38/31 so they should fly pretty close to how they do in reality.

Spoiler