Seeking best connection method for optimal multi-monitor-performance - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 06-25-2012, 08:02 AM   #11
PeterP
Veteran

First: Wasn't able visit the forums the last two days - nice progress you made! - but I will need some time to catch up with you

Quote:
I don't know why I studied threads about it for hours...took me no 30 min to setup without calculator or sketch and it works.
Yes - exactly ! This I also try to "hammer" some folks into the head!
First Try - Ask Than! - most of your questions will fade away after you have "played" a little with it !

Now here are the first answers to some of your questions:

Quote:
"Requested resolution is too wide for device (9600>8192)"
Yes! - I totally forgot about this (as it happens so rarely...)
DirectX9 is restricted to a to total of 8192 x 8192 - so we have to get everything somehow inside this square!! (Blame Microsoft for this!)

Quote:
@PeterP: I see now worse than expected about what you were talking about the visibility of buildings etc.
I can be right over an airfield and have to zoom almost max until the buildings ap
Go this way > DCS A-10C - How to increase districts visibility distance

Quote:
Since my only display exports are in the upper area of head 2 (lower middle screen), is there no way I can decrease the overall render resolution in height somehow?
The rest is only used by Helios!?
Yes there is - make your self first free from the thinking that your SoftTH config has to reflect the physical position of your monitors.

You can place any DX render content as you wish inside the SoftTH screens and /or even duplicate it, or even only portions...

See "destRect" >>http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.ph...06#post1303406

I see the possibility to cut you overall DCS-render surface down to something like

~7000x1080 (= 7.560.000px) instead of 5860x2280 (= 13.360.800px)...
(EDIT: BTW: made a "proof on concept" in the following post - I calculated a total DCS render of 7.833.600px that gives you enough room to "teleport" the renders to your helios-screens using the destRect function of SoftTH)

But to be sure about this I need more info .

>> I need your final (no WiP) MonitorSetup.lua including all exports according your Helios profile you want to show in the end - to make these changes.

Rule of the thumb for creating a stream-lined SoftTHconfig:

>First nail down what you really want to see in the end on your monitors.
>Than have a look what is DCS contend and what is only "Helios".
>Now try to squeese the DCS contend into the smallest possible square while maintaining one aspect-ratio of the additional exports and keeping all in the right relation to each other to be able to change the size without a distortion the final aspect-ratio.
>Than write a config.SoftTHconfig that "teleports" different areas of this DCS render to a mixed render surface with Helios usind the undocumented "destRect" function.

Here is a little help how the destRect function works:
Spoiler:

When you got nailed down the final appearance on the screens - than I could show you better how this will work.

Here is a example how this can look:
http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?...7&postcount=60
We will do similar with your setting via the "destRect" function
Spoiler:

-anyway- 30 FPS already sounds really good to me considering your overall used res right now .

Quote:
If you have a minute could you look over my softTH config if you see something stupid I missed that wastes performance/quality?
Thank you in advance!
Everything fine so far , well ... there could be some changes.
Have a look again at the red letters in posting #1:SoftTH NEWS
... but we have to rewrite it manually absolutely anyway again (something the "softTH configuration tool" isn't capable of.) to get down from 13.360.800px you are using now to something like 8million...
- so we can concentrate on these setting after we have done this .

Edit - This relates, but we shouldn't discuss this any further now until we managed to stream-line your settings. I just want to answer on your reply:
Quote:
Because that's how I use it already
Just mine is "caged".

It was going to get an own thread in the cockpit building section when progress is further ahead but I should give you a better picture on how and why I need what for my setup
This is a significant difference to what I mean - but I see that this isn't practical with your cockpit-build - I just wanted to point out that using the real 3d render on a touch-screen would be enable you to use any upcoming DCS module on your pit without the need to export additional view-ports for gauges.

an example :
I can pan my view to the left in the radio-console and change the frequency... you can't do this because your cockpit is static .

So : your cut out wooden(?) overlay may looks nice... but it takes away the possibility to use your pit more generic for existing/upcoming modules. - something to think about me thinks.

Last edited by PeterP; 06-25-2012 at 08:45 PM.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 02:59 PM   #12
PeterP
Veteran

Hi again.

I had a look at the pictures you PMed me.... (and I admit! This build really deserves a own thread )
and made some edits to one of them - just to give you maybe some inspiration....
Spoiler:

As I think horizontal FOV is not everything in A10C...

Right now you are planning to position the screens like this:

But maybe you want to think a second about this possibility - as it is able to do it via SoftTH while DCS runs still fullscreen:

This would give you a better "look-down" ability at the battle-field to plan your attack-run .

And you really don't miss anything at the sides.
And you would also have a much more natural FOV as the outer boarders of the side-screens wouldn't be so Stretched any-more - you would use a aspect that comes closer to 1. - actually you would use 2,125 instead 5,333.

You could also use the "missing" square under the middle screen (a place of 1920x840 for the avionics exports) to show the additional exports on it and use SoftTH's "destRect" function to spread this info at the Helios screens.

So it might be possible to run this setting at a DCS-in-game resolution of "only" 1080+1920+1080x1920 = 4080x1920 = 7.833.600px
(reminder : you are using right now 13.360.800px and have still around 30FPS)

Another advantage would be that there is no misplacement of the sun-glare when the "camera" view-port matches your whole in-game-resolution. So you would be able to use the HDR setting without any bug.

Still need to find out how to render a black-square underneath some indicators , but I think it is possible to hi-jack the Control indicator for this and colour it solid black by changing the RGB values.. than we will move the solid-black control-indicator to cover the space under the middle screen. >>>http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.ph...42#post1409442
We will see...

I think it's worth thinking about it !

Edit: found a video that demonstrates fairly well what you can expect to see on the sides:

EDIT #2:

Forget what I wrote about the a black Controllindicator....
I found a easier way and made a proof of concept :

Here is the used MonitorSetup.Lua for following screen-shot and look at the second view-port.
The "Black" needs a spawn-point that is outside of the render-surface , and than I dragged this window up by using a negative height.

Spoiler:
_ = function(p) return p; end;
name = _('Export example2');
Description = 'Export example';
Viewports =
-- Put your values in , and delete all exports that you don't want to use !
-- You will have to determine the area for the MP/SP GUI
{
Center =
{
x = 0;
y = 0;
width = 2176;
height = 1024;
viewDx = 0;
viewDy = 0;
aspect = 2176 / 1024;
},

Black =
-- must be always after
-- the last legit view-port
-- so it is underneath the avionics but on
-- top of the "world"-render

{
x = 576;
y = 1025; -- must be 1px more than screen-height
width = 1024;
height = -449; -- must be negative to "drag it up"
}

}
-- BTW isn't my find brilliant?!

-- my shoulder still hurts because I clapped myself so much on it! XD

GUI=
{
x = 576;
y = 0;
width = 1024;
height = 576;
}

LEFT_MFCD =
{
x = 576;
y = 576;
width = 150;
height = 150;
}

RIGHT_MFCD =
{
x = 576 + 1024 - 150;
y = 576;
width = 150;
height = 150;
}

CDU_SCREEN =
{
x = 576 + 160;
y = 576;
width = 150;
height = 150;
}

DIGIT_CLOCK =
{
x = 1370;
y = 800;
width = 150;
height = 150;
}

CMSC_SCREEN =
{
x = 800;
y = 800;
width = 200;
height = 200;
}

CMSP_SCREEN =
{
x = 1050;
y = 800;
width = 200;
height = 200;
}

RWR_SCREEN =
{
x = 1300;
y = 800;
width = 300;
height = 300;
}

UIMainView = GUI

And this is how it looks on a windowed res of 2176x1024 with and without the "Black" view-port (BTW: all tests made in 1.1.2.1 and a empty "Black" view-port has no hit in performance at all )

Last edited by PeterP; 06-26-2012 at 11:50 AM.
Old 06-26-2012, 07:18 AM   #13
Weltensegler

Quote:
Yes there is - make your self first free from the thinking that your SoftTH config has to reflect the physical position of your monitors.

You can place any DX render content as you wish inside the SoftTH screens and /or even duplicate it, or even only portions...

See "destRect" >>http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.ph...06#post1303406

I see the possibility to cut you overall DCS-render surface down to something like
Thank you! I will check all links out but I did already another layout.

After the decadent monster resolution of last time I thought about reducing the DCS resolution to what it actually needs.
By putting 4 in a row the funny thing is I can even disable the 5th monitor and I can still have a working Helios profile overlapping to it.
Question for you Peter, is it better to not disable the 5th(nonlocal) screen in softTH bc of PCI bus bandwidths/speeds etc?

softTH config:
Spoiler:

[main]
renderResolution=7780x1200
nonlocalFormat=RGB16D
keepComposition=1
smoothing=0
debugD3D=0
zClear=0
vsync=1
tripleBuffer=0
screenshotFormat=jpg
dllPathD3D9=auto
dllPathDXGI=auto
dllPathD3D11=auto

[overrides]
forceResolution=0
antialiasing=0
processAffinity=1
FOVForceHorizontal=0
FOVForceVertical=0

[debug]
compatibleIB=0
compatibleTex=0
compatibleVB=0

[head_primary]
; borderA=0
; borderL=50
sourceRect=1970,0,1920,1080
screenMode=1920x1080

[head_1]
; borderA=0
; borderL=0
devID=1
sourceRect=0,0,1920,1080
destRect=0,0,1920,1080
transportResolution=1920x1080
transportMethod=local
noSync=0
fpsLimit=0

[head_2]
; borderA=0
; borderL=0
devID=2
sourceRect=5860,0,1920,1200
destRect=0,0,1920,1200
transportResolution=1920x1200
transportMethod=local
noSync=0
fpsLimit=0

[head_3]
; borderA=0
; borderL=50
devID=3
sourceRect=3940,0,1920,1080
destRect=0,0,1920,1080
transportMethod=local
noSync=0
fpsLimit=0

monitor.lua:
Spoiler:

_ = function(p) return p; end;
name = _('4xHoRiZoNtAl');
Description = '3x55"Center + 1x24"touch + 1x23"touch'
Viewports =
{
Center =
{
x = 0;
y = 0;
width = 5760;
height = 1080;
viewDx = 0;
viewDy = 0;
aspect = 5.333333333;
}
}

LEFT_MFCD =
{
x = 5910;
y = 54;
width = 420;
height = 420;
}

RIGHT_MFCD =
{
x = 7313;
y = 54;
width = 420;
height = 420;
}

CMSC_SCREEN =
{
x = 6722;
y = 55;
width = 220;
height = 42;
}

RWR_SCREEN =
{
x = 6470;
y = 90;
width = 175;
height = 175;
}

GUI=

{
x = 1970;
y = 0;
width = 1920;
height = 1080;
}

UIMainView = GUI

The 3 mains creens are all shifted to the left I just see, probably something in the monitor lua.
EDIT: Interesting! one of those main screens is actually 1935 in width at least in those screenshots and the gabs are 20pixels not 50 ... ...guess I am getting tired
EDIT2: OK got it, monitor lua center resolution needs to be 5860 (5760=2*50(bezel))

Concerning your portrait suggestion, that is a great idea!
Especially since DCS when set to the correct FOV looks like Flanker or Lomac 1.0 on the left and right screen without messing with the lua files.
And if one would then on cost of a lot performance anyways.
Also I noticed I dont look left or right without using TrackIR really bc you still can zoom to center only(though sometimes its nice to pause it and have everything static).
And the feeling of clouds flying by when peaking to the side I would still have.
Only problem at the moment I have to build a new construction for the screens. They are 55" each and from left to right corner its more than 9 feet when they are in a 45 degree angle so that each one is facing me perfectly!!!
But I have already some ideas...will finish the side panels and hull first though.

After I have figured out the best solution for this horizontal alignment
Thanks again for your help and don't stop if you have more tips or suggestions!

Oh one question before I go to bed. Maybe you can save me the experiment or thread studying...
if I would go for 3 center cameras would the distortion be gone/less/different?
I work with cameras and resolutions every day in my job but a game engine seems to behave different than I am used to it.
And I cant find different lenses or distortion grids here either
--> https://www.youtube.com/user/weltensegLA
--> https://www.twitch.tv/weltensegler

WELD's cockpit: --> http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=92274

Last edited by Weltensegler; 06-26-2012 at 08:34 AM.
Weltensegler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 08:57 AM   #14
PeterP
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weltensegler View Post
Question for you Peter, is it better to not disable the 5th(nonlocal) screen in softTH bc of PCI bus bandwidths/speeds etc?
Of course you should disable it!- let me explain it to you with a German saying: What doesn't pay any rent - gets kicked out!

So if a monitor don't have any relevant game contend on it - just don't include it as SoftTH monitor. A good monitor-setup for DCS is no charity-gala ! so don't waste any pixels, bandwidth, cpu/gpu cycles and V-ram.

Quote:
After I have figured out the best solution for this horizontal alignment
Thanks again for your help and don't stop if you have more tips or suggestions!
The DCS specific bug fixes ar still not in your conffig.SoftTHconfig.
Red letters-posting #1 at the top >>>SoftTH NEWS

Use this High.lua in \Config\terrain and make a test-flight around Tbilisi to see the different. (make a backup of your default) and also check performance.

Further:
cut down the Res of [head_2] to 1920x1080 - so it looks like this:
Quote:
[main]
renderResolution=7780x1080

[head_2]
; borderA=0
; borderL=0
devID=2
sourceRect=5860,0,1920,1080
destRect=0,0,1920,1080
transportMethod=local
noSync=0
fpsLimit=0
Than you will be able to use 7780x1080 instead of 7780x1200 as ingame-res

thast's minus 933600px again .

But than you have to keep in mind to multiply all Y/Height values of this monitor with *0.9
to get the exports aligned again . As the pixel ratio is now 1:0.9 instead of 1:1

example for your R-MFCD how this would look:

Quote:
RIGHT_MFCD =
{
x = 7313;
y = 54 * 0.9;
width = 420;
height = 420 * 0.9;
}
Note: using a multiplier is much easier than using the true pixel values - as you can still calculate all values the same as your screen would be still 1920x1200

Quote:
Oh one question before I go to bed. Maybe you can save me the experiment or thread studying...
if I would go for 3 center cameras would the distortion be gone/less/different?
I work with cameras and resolutions every day in my job but a game engine seems to behave different than I am used to it.
And I cant find different lenses or distortion grids here either
Seems you are really tired - as I gave you the appropriate links already in posting #7 in point 1.

Have also a look at this

And there is really not much that you can do about it - OK you can use a warper like NTHUSIM - but it only works good for projectors - as you will always end up with black areas in the borders of your screens.

And start reading here again to get the info "somewhat" compact (BTW - you are posted shortly after me in this thread):Side view monitors

In short (again): Using different view ports for the camera view is only advisable for static projections = means no TrackIR or changing FOV. This projection method is commonly used in spherical/cubic environments and also needs special hardware/software for edge-blending and alignment.

Something that doesn't works well on a almost "planar" TrippleHead -even if the screens are at 45° - Yes - you can lower the distortion , but ...see how the horizon describes a zig-zack instead of a even line when moving your view.

That's why I suggested this portrait-landscape-portait setting. As I knew that you wouldn't be happy with this distorted edges on a 16:3 setting.
I think a optimal render has a aspect ratio around 2:1 - it really shouldn't get much more wider as this for a pleasing view.

And this I wanted to get with this portrait-landscape-portait. And it has also many advantages that I described above.

Have a good sleep ! - and try to dream from something different than configuration-files

Last edited by PeterP; 06-26-2012 at 10:00 AM.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:51 AM   #15
Weltensegler

Quote:
The DCS specific bug fixes ar still not in your conffig.SoftTHconfig.
Red letters-posting #1 at the top >>>SoftTH NEWS
I am aware of that but the sofTH help file said:
Quote:
enableVBQuirk: Enable "quirk-mode" for vertex buffers which allows
the game to lock a too large area of a vertex buffer. This was
required by DCS A-10C beta but the bug has been fixed in later versions.
...so I thought that might not be necessary anymore. But I will check whatelse I missed and yes red your the whole thread when I pointed you to the resource management menu lua lines

Quote:
Seems you are really tired - as I gave you the appropriate links already in posting #7 in point 1.
Yes I am I totally remember watching that video. And I cant even imagine any spherical mapping or post distortion grids (that dont exist within DCS anyways) that would give my setup what I wish for.
Most distortions I deal with at work are barely based on wider lenses than 24mm which on a common aperture width is way shorter than my setup .

I will try your high lua tomorrow. I just finished some tests with current adjustments.
Little wiered results with the softTH framecounter.
On first instant mission (not a lot detail thought)I get about 45-47 fps with 8xaa, hdr; cockpit shadows and everything high.
Global softTHVsync on reduces frames to 32-35 unless I look up then ~45...I would expect it cuts it to 30 to fit my 60Hz screen input.
If I limit frames to 30 it cuts to ~32fps and same but with sofTH vsync cuts it to 31 which is the smoothest result and actually what I would expect from 30fps.
I believe to remember that the frame limiter in DCS is 1 frame off, if so then it makes partially sense.
If I also bring in the DCS vsync it gets chunky.
Cant follow all logic of the results but I found my smoothest.

I hope I don't annoy you too much in my conditions but I am always tired when I have time for my hobby ..very long and exhausting hours at work.

Have a good day!

Old 06-26-2012, 10:18 AM   #16
PeterP
Veteran

Quote:
I am aware of that but the sofTH help file said:
Quote:
enableVBQuirk: Enable "quirk-mode" for vertex buffers which allows
the game to lock a too large area of a vertex buffer. This was
required by DCS A-10C beta but the bug has been fixed in later versions.
its still necessary to use this.
The helpfile of SoftTH isn't updated for every new DCS version.
Be assured that I would post this in the "SoftTH News" thread otherwise.

FPS-Counter and SoftTH:
To be honest - I wouldn't trust any FPS counter when using SoftTH with mixed render-surfaces like Helios...
If you only show pure SoftTH contend - OK - I can trust the SoftTH fps... but when also showing Helios....I don't think so.
There is too much going on under the hood - and you don't really know how each FPS tool really try to measure a setting like this.
Here is something to think about:
DCS only measures the frame intern - just to the point it hands out the data to SoftTH.
So you can not trust that the DCS-FPS-counter really shows your true FPS every-time.
You have to expect a little delay - even if it is only in the milliseconds. A Delay is a Delay

Rule of the thumb: If the overall experience is nice: just cap your FPS something like 29 to 39 in DCS ! - this will also prevent you to always have the FPS counter on and it will prevent you to hunt schizophrenic any "ghosts" . -I hope you get my point.

A almost steady 30FPS is smoother in experience as a FPS that jumps between 30 to 60!

Quote:
I hope I don't annoy you too much in my conditions but I am always tired when I have time for my hobby ..very long and exhausting hours at work.
No problem at all! I see it as a sport and challenge .
True: being nine hours ahead of you can be complicated , but...

...as long you are able to follow and (as I see) to learn - than is everything OK!

Just look back - and see what you have achieved the last days!

BTW: I'm happy for every thread about this topic that is so less-cluttered and is containing every useful info as compact as our "conversation"...

So when another may think about a similar setting and wonder "how-to": I just can hand out the link and say "read everything in this Thread and try to understand!"
(I already catalogued this thread to my "useful link-folder")

Last edited by PeterP; 06-26-2012 at 12:01 PM.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:46 PM   #17
Weltensegler

Quote:
A almost steady 30FPS is smoother in experience as a FPS that jumps between 30 to 60!
Tottally that's what I'm saying and why I cut it at 30.
The display runs at 60Hz so there are only 2 smooth frame rates that one can try to achieve. 60 and 30 (15 one can't consider smooth anymore )
Which sucks balls every day for me bc a lot shots that are always 24fps I have to watch on displays that run on 60Hz, one can NEVER watch a shot perfectly fluid.
There are only a few very expensive projectors that allow you to set it to 48 or something. At least in the scale and stereoscopic we need it.

And most other reasons for stuttering in DCS I eliminated by good hardware like SSD drives and fast MB and RAM as well as water cooled overclocked CPU.
Its very smooth now besides some hick ups when a city or clouds come close.
But to be honest DCS engine is not the best example for fluid and efficient data management so I am pretty satisfied the way it runs.

Quote:
its still necessary to use this.
The helpfile of SoftTH isn't updated for every new DCS version.
Be assured that I would post this in the "SoftTH News" thread otherwise.
Will add the line then of course!

Quote:
Just look back - and see what you have achieved the last days!
Yeah on Saturday I didn't have to work so I actually even found some time to do noise and some wood and built this here
Spoiler:

Oh BTW at some point I kinda have to put in a USBtouch screen into this setup as you might have seen in my ICP picture (once DCS-F18C gets released).

(ignore the left and right usb screens they are not worth the performance los) And I know its gonna be bad but curious how bad.
I think you once talked about how the data gets handled in the case of bringing in a USB display.
Could you explain that again in a few lines or if you have gimme the link to where you did?

Quote:
BTW: I'm happy for every thread about this topic that is so less-cluttered and is containing every useful info as compact as our "conversation"...
I agree! A lot visuals and a lot answers on these two pages.
Should save some time for the next one facing these issues.

Last edited by Weltensegler; 06-26-2012 at 08:54 PM.
Old 06-27-2012, 08:00 PM   #18
PeterP
Veteran

Quote:
I think you once talked about how the data gets handled in the case of bringing in a USB display.
Could you explain that again in a few lines or if you have gimme the link to where you did?
In a few lines ?! - You are kidding- right?!
This can fill another book....

I remember the thread --- but I can't find it now.

But as a starter extract the info given in this thread:
>>> Is this monitor setup possible with Helios and softth

BTW
: For everyone that is looking for the function to lock your FPS in DCS:

Open with a proper editor (Notepad++) > \DCS World\Config\graphics.cfg

and edit line # 329 to your wished MaxFPS minus 1.

rule of the thumb : always use a multiplier of your refresh-rate to get the smoothest experience.

Example for capped 30 FPS:
Quote:
MaxFPS = 29;
(please don't ask why it is minus 1 ... I don't know , but a possible explanation is that DCS counts 0 as 1)

Last edited by PeterP; 06-27-2012 at 09:06 PM.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:46 PM   #19
Weltensegler

Quote:
But as a starter extract the info given in this thread:
>>> Is this monitor setup possible with Helios and softth
Thank you!

Quote:
BTW: For everyone that is looking for the function to lock your FPS in DCS:

Open with a proper editor (Notepad++) > \DCS World\Config\graphics.cfg

and edit line # 329 to your wished MaxFPS minus 1.

rule of the thumb : always use a multiplier of your refresh-rate to get the smoothest experience.

Example for capped 30 FPS:
(please don't ask why it is minus 1 ... I don't know , but a possible explanation is that DCS counts 0 as 1)
That's what how I understood it in the past but some tests I made seem to follow the theory that most FPS counter rather count +1 and that the DCS or FC fps limit at 30 brought smoother results than having it at 29 while frame counter shows 30.
I suggest everybody should try it both ways...let me rephrase that ...should try both options and see what turns out with less/none stuttering.
Especially since other options play an influencing role here as well.

Also this thread here might give some ideas (or more confusion) about this topic
http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.ph...rsmooth+motion

Quote:
And don't just assume this one!
I helped people in the past to their most fluid frame rate that had it on 59Hz as default.
Using a prime makes it really hard to find a multiplier and you will never get rid of stuttering.

Last edited by Weltensegler; 06-28-2012 at 03:51 AM.
Old 07-13-2012, 09:19 AM   #20
Cali
Veteran

Quote:
Oh BTW at some point I kinda have to put in a USBtouch screen into this setup as you might have seen in my ICP picture (once DCS-F18C gets released).
What size screen(s) do you have behind that? cause that looks very good. Maybe when I have some more money I'll take the time and build me something like that!

Cali is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cockpit, cockpit building, multi-monitor, screen setup