Desperately seeking fps for BS2 - Page 6 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 12-07-2011, 05:37 AM   #51
PeterP
Veteran

Reputation power: 98
PeterP is a splendid one to beholdPeterP is a splendid one to beholdPeterP is a splendid one to beholdPeterP is a splendid one to beholdPeterP is a splendid one to beholdPeterP is a splendid one to beholdPeterP is a splendid one to beholdPeterP is a splendid one to beholdPeterP is a splendid one to beholdPeterP is a splendid one to beholdPeterP is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaD CrC View Post
I think my problem is really CPU bound as pushing texture and scenery to HIGH with cockpit shadow ON doesn't take a single fps from BS2.
I am deeply sorry for taking so much time from you.

Hi-Mate
First: You didn't took "my time" at all - I'm also very interested to see what's possible on various systems. And we both (maybe someone else too) learned a lot.

That you don't lost any FPS when going to "high" settings is indeed a indicator that your CPU is throttling the output...

But you shouldn't give up at all - try (I know that this can take time and can also be a little tricky..) to scale down the abris,shkval - and also disable them in the cockpit render- There a some instructions how to do this...
the thread is called something like "Export/Extract additional things...."
Edit:
Very good explenation how to disable the internal ABRIS/Shkval render:
HUD Only View

Also see how the system behaves without the USB - just to see what has to be upgraded the next time.

4 frames extra can be very much when usually in the 20-24...

Last edited by PeterP; 12-09-2011 at 05:09 AM.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 07:58 AM   #52
Griffin

Reputation power: 51
Griffin is a splendid one to beholdGriffin is a splendid one to beholdGriffin is a splendid one to beholdGriffin is a splendid one to beholdGriffin is a splendid one to beholdGriffin is a splendid one to beholdGriffin is a splendid one to beholdGriffin is a splendid one to beholdGriffin is a splendid one to beholdGriffin is a splendid one to beholdGriffin is a splendid one to behold

It's clear that BS2 is more demanding but did you guys get worse performance with the same settings as with BS1? I thought that it would be no problem to make BS2 look the same as BS1 but I've already lowered the settings way below BS1 level and it's still pretty much unplayable. That is beyond me.
Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 09:35 AM   #53
Luigi Gorgonzola
ED Translator

Reputation power: 6
Luigi Gorgonzola has a spectacular aura aboutLuigi Gorgonzola has a spectacular aura aboutLuigi Gorgonzola has a spectacular aura about

As far as I'm concerned, BS1 shows a way better performance than BS2.

BS1 with loads of eye candy (HD Pit, Flares mod, Runway and landscape textures mods, etc.) and all options maxed out (mirrors on, heat blur on, etc. pp.) doesn't drop below 30 fps.

In BS2 "stock" (i.e. no eye candy) and most options set to "medium" (no mirrors, no heat blur, no HDR, etc.) I usually get about 30 fps, easily dropping below 10 (especially when there is smoke or "scenery" about).

(i5 2500K, 2x5770, 8GB RAM, DCS @ seperate HDD)
Luigi Gorgonzola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 09:52 AM   #54
Griffin

Griffin is a splendid one to beholdGriffin is a splendid one to beholdGriffin is a splendid one to beholdGriffin is a splendid one to beholdGriffin is a splendid one to beholdGriffin is a splendid one to beholdGriffin is a splendid one to beholdGriffin is a splendid one to beholdGriffin is a splendid one to beholdGriffin is a splendid one to beholdGriffin is a splendid one to behold

Is it the new AI, weather engine etc. that tax performance so much? Visually it looks worse and runs much worse. Is there really so much more simulation in the background that makes it unplayable on a rig that could run BS1 easily on quite good graphics?
Old 12-08-2011, 12:18 PM   #55
BaD CrC
ED Translator

Reputation power: 31
BaD CrC is a name known to allBaD CrC is a name known to allBaD CrC is a name known to allBaD CrC is a name known to allBaD CrC is a name known to allBaD CrC is a name known to allBaD CrC is a name known to allBaD CrC is a name known to allBaD CrC is a name known to allBaD CrC is a name known to allBaD CrC is a name known to all

I got a lot of mixed messages regarding fps between BS1 and BS2. Strangly enough, I got several squad mates telling me BS2 is running smoother than BS1 on their rig. But I am not sure their graphic settings are identical. And most of them are running single display.
It would be logical with more eye candy in BS2 to have lower fps than BS1.
Actually, BS1.00 and BS1.01 were also painfuly slow when I started to build my pit. Around 18 to 20 fps (and "only" 5 displays) . Then I reinstalled it when BS1.02 came out and I suddenly got the fps jumping to a confortable and steady 30 fps (with 7 displays).
I can only hope that the future BS2 patch will somehow do this small miracle again.

@PeterP: My shkval and Abris were already disabled in the cockpit when I tested SoftTH with you. For the SHKVAL, windows does not allow me to go lower than 800x600.
Maybe I'll go the 3082x768 way for head up view, but for the time being, the missions I flew with 3 or 4 of my mates were very flyable even at 24 fps. The moments I got some slow downs are only when taking off from big detailed airports like Tbilissi. Once in the country side, it's fine.
My next upgrade will be to go for 16Go DRAM and maybe try to push a bit further my CPU above 4Ghz if I can.
Old 12-08-2011, 05:15 PM   #56
Griffin

Quote:
It would be logical with more eye candy in BS2 to have lower fps than BS1.
The ironic thing is that I have to drop the graphics all the way to Falcon 4 level to get playable FPS.
BS1 runs very nicely and looks beautiful at the same time.
Old 12-09-2011, 06:43 AM   #57
PeterP
Veteran

PeterP is a splendid one to beholdPeterP is a splendid one to beholdPeterP is a splendid one to beholdPeterP is a splendid one to beholdPeterP is a splendid one to beholdPeterP is a splendid one to beholdPeterP is a splendid one to beholdPeterP is a splendid one to beholdPeterP is a splendid one to beholdPeterP is a splendid one to beholdPeterP is a splendid one to behold

Hi Bad CrC,

Sorry to see you already gave up...
...this is not the end of the road!

Didn't I told you we will first see if SoftTH kicks in with Helios still visible and then optimised it further....?!:

Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterP View Post
I see some things that can be optimized in your setup - but we first will leave it as it is to see if SoftTH will start properly and Helios will be at the top. - if this work we can work out a streamlined version ( "streamlined" in the meaning of bandwidth/recurrences - not in complexity!!!) - but this will mean you will have to re-configure parts of the Helios appearance and some parts of your "monitor-LUA". - this can be al little tricky in the end but is doable that everything will still show at the right place in your pit- and this will make it really necessary "to think around corners"... just like in the old days - when you had a comodore64 and you had to squeeze your code into it...

Quote:
@PeterP: ...For the SHKVAL, windows does not allow me to go lower than 800x600.
Maybe I'll go the 3082x768 way for head up view, ...
but we can use SofTH to do this!

What I have in mind is this:

Variant A - optimized DCS render = 4096x1024:

or Variant B - maximum optimized DCS render = 3328x768:

What you see is what DCS/your GPU has to render.
We will use the functions of SoftTH to spread this onto the different monitors - -and after analysing your setup a little I realised that we don't have to edit Helios at all.
You should set cockpit display render to 256 in DCS for this - there will be no noticeable image loose on the abris/shkval.

So it should be possible to lower the render-surface significant without losing image quality - but before I can go on to write this SoftTH profile I need your currently used "monitor-LUA". -and I have to know how the Ekran is exported.

When I have all info - I will post a softth-config with a graphical explanation how this works.

Last edited by PeterP; 03-20-2013 at 06:04 AM.
Old 12-09-2011, 09:14 AM   #58
spikenet

Reputation power: 13
spikenet is just really nicespikenet is just really nicespikenet is just really nicespikenet is just really nicespikenet is just really nicespikenet is just really nicespikenet is just really nicespikenet is just really nicespikenet is just really nicespikenet is just really nicespikenet is just really nice

Quote:
I got a lot of mixed messages regarding fps between BS1 and BS2.

I've found very inconsistent results between installs. At the moment I'm actually pretty happy with my BS2 FPS. I re-installed win7 x64 did some tweeking and reinstalled BS2, now its actually playable in campains at medium-high GFX on 2 screens. Before its was <15fps even in instant missions.

I've bitten the bullet and ordered a 2500k et al excited on my first upgrade in years!

AEF 161 Squadron
spikenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 12:07 PM   #59
BaD CrC
ED Translator

Reputation power: 31
BaD CrC is a name known to allBaD CrC is a name known to allBaD CrC is a name known to allBaD CrC is a name known to allBaD CrC is a name known to allBaD CrC is a name known to allBaD CrC is a name known to allBaD CrC is a name known to allBaD CrC is a name known to allBaD CrC is a name known to allBaD CrC is a name known to all

Hi PeterP. Excited about your new ideas. My EKRAN is exported through Helios only.
Do you need my options.lua or "multimonitor conf".lua in the /monitorconfig/?
Old 12-10-2011, 11:14 AM   #60
PeterP
Veteran

path: DCS Black Shark 2\Config\MonitorSetup - your *.lua that is in use
Normally I could figure it out myself - but I want to see yours - so I have the exact dimensions - so the Abris will fit into your pit without try and error.

and also please post the configSoftTH.config that you successfully have used.

Quote:
Hi PeterP. Excited about your new ideas. My EKRAN is exported through Helios only.
Do you need my options.lua or "multimonitor conf".lua in the /monitorconfig/?
This is what I have in mind:

There is a undocumented function in SoftTh that will allow us to resize/replace parts of the 4096x1024 render of DCS. (you use right now 5100x1080 windowed mode)

So we will be able to use a optimized render-size of DCS but still be able to place the Shikval/Abris anywhere we want/need them on the Desktop -without making the area of the DCS render-surface bigger.

Maybe this will give you better FPS.

Last edited by PeterP; 12-10-2011 at 11:25 AM.