3 screens without Eyefinity group, TH2GO, or SoftTH - ED Forums

Notices

Old 03-11-2011, 01:11 AM   #1
tjash

Reputation power: 0
tjash is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 3 screens without Eyefinity group, TH2GO, or SoftTH

Is this possible? Just looking to set up three monitors in a panoramic landscape view. The system is recognizing all three as an extended desktop, but they are different resolutions, so using an Eyefinity group causes some distortion.

I tried editing my multi monitor .lua, but it is only displaying on the center and right screens. Left screen is still shown as part of my desktop. The center screen is showing what I'd expect to see on the left, and the right is showing the central cockpit view.

Monitors:
HP w2207h @1680x1050 (main)
2 x LG 1932TQ @1280x1024 (L&R)

Center monitor is connected via HDMI, one side is with DVI, the other is via an active Displayport to DVI adapter.

System:
Phenom II x4 965 @3.4 GHz
8 GB RAM
Win7 x64
ATI Radeon HD 5770 running CCC 11.2 suite

Please forgive my ignorance; I did search this and other forums for an answer, but only found hints and pieces of information. Looking for a definitive YES or NO, or YOU NEED TO DO X.

Is it possible to run three monitors with different resolutions in DCS A-10C without utilizing an Eyefinity group, TH2GO hardware, or SoftTH software?

Thanks in advance for your time and help!

Here's my MonitorSetup .lua text:

{
Left =
{
x = 0;
y = 0;
width = 1280;
height = 1024;
viewDx = -1;
viewDy = 0;
aspect = screen.aspect / 3;
},

Center =
{
x = 1280;
y = 0;
width = 1680;
height = 1050;
viewDx = 0;
viewDy = 0;
},

Right =
{
x = 2960;
y = 0;
width = 1280;
height = 1024;
viewDx = 1;
viewDy = 0;
}
}
tjash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 07:59 AM   #2
PeterP
Veteran

Reputation power: 98
PeterP is a splendid one to beholdPeterP is a splendid one to beholdPeterP is a splendid one to beholdPeterP is a splendid one to beholdPeterP is a splendid one to beholdPeterP is a splendid one to beholdPeterP is a splendid one to beholdPeterP is a splendid one to beholdPeterP is a splendid one to beholdPeterP is a splendid one to beholdPeterP is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjash View Post
Please forgive my ignorance; I did search this and other forums for an answer, but only found hints and pieces of information. Looking for a definitive YES or NO, or YOU NEED TO DO X.
Yes, it's possible .

SoftTH 2.04 is the only tool that will give you a distortion free image.

TH2GO and Eyefinity will have problems with the different sized aspect-ratio will of your monitor set-up and will always have a distortion in the Image.

Your HD5770 should be also powerful enough to run your three screens at
4280x1050 (1280+1680+1280x1050).

And here is the "YOU NEED TO DO X"

For the following instruction I assume that you using win7 64bit and also the 64bit version of DCS:Warthog ( be aware that I write this instruction without the possibility to test because I'm not in front of my gaming-PC. So it may have some failures but the overall steps will be the same. If it will not work at the first attempt - don't give up! )

You will have to edit also some files manually.

To do it properly without messing the file up download first Notepad++ (it's Freeware):
http://notepad-plus-plus.org/
Its the recommend tool to edit LUA files (Windows Notepad can mess up the structure of LUA files.)

Make sure your desktop is configured as follows:
The 1680x1050 screen as your main display in the middle between the other 1280x1024 displays.
here a example image:
Spoiler:
Your set-up should look similar respective your used resolution :

Download SoftTH v2.04 from:
http://www.kegetys.net/dl.php/SoftTH204alpha_x64.zip (latest version, for x64 programs)

Put the SoftTH d3d9.dll in the BIN folder of DCS:Warthog
example: G:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS A-10C\Bin

Now Run DCS:Warthog.
A dialogue asking if you want to create a default config should pop up. The generated default config goes to the same dir the d3d9.dll is in, it will be configured to match the Windows desktop monitor configuration.

Than close DCS and go to the bin folder and open the created config.cfg of SoftTH with Notpad++ to check it.

It should look similar like this:
Spoiler:
Code:
[main]
renderResolution=4240x1050
nonlocalFormat=RGB16D
keepComposition=0
smoothing=0
debugD3D=0
zClear=1
vsync=0
tripleBuffer=0
screenshotFormat=jpg
dllPathD3D9=auto
dllPathDXGI=auto
dllPathD3D11=auto

[overrides]
forceResolution=0
antialiasing=1
processAffinity=1
FOVForceHorizontal=0
FOVForceVertical=0

[head_primary]
sourceRect=1280,0,1680,1050
screenMode=1680x1050

[head_1]
; Autodetected as \\.\DISPLAY5 at ATI Radeon HD 5770 Series 
devID=1
sourceRect=0,0,1280,1050
transportResolution=1280x1024
transportMethod=auto
noSync=0

[head_2]
; Autodetected as \\.\DISPLAY6 at ATI Radeon HD 5770 Series 
devID=2
sourceRect=2960,0,1280,1050
transportResolution=1280x1024
transportMethod=auto
noSync=0

Now edit the options.lua of DCS:Warthog to your new resolution.

Your new display resolution is 4240x1050
and you will need a aspect ratio of 4,038095238095238

You will find a detailed description how to do this here:
http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?...95&postcount=2
Follow these steps carefully with your values.

Run DCS:Warthog and choose the default 1monitor in the system options
tab.
Check also the Fullscreen option.

That's all!

Optional:

You can use a Bezel management (what is Bezelmanagment ?):
Go to this post http://www.kegetys.net/forum/index.p...sg8803#msg8803
and use the example instruction with your files.
Keep in mind that you have to edit also the options.lua of DCS again.

You may want to have also the MFCDs on you new gaming resolution like this:
Spoiler:

Than go to:
http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.ph...23#post1132423
Download this Pack and use the "MFCDs in lower left and right corner.lua".

If everything runs fine you may consider to dotanate a small amount to Kegetys for the free use of SoftTH here: http://www.kegetys.net/SoftTH/ (scroll to the bottom)
He deserve it!

Last edited by PeterP; 03-11-2011 at 09:22 AM.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 12:42 PM   #3
tjash

tjash is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Peter - worked like a charm.

Getting 30-40 FPS with just the screens, 20-35 with the MFCDs added. I need to play with the x,y settings to get the MFCDs balanced with the bezel correction I added (175 pixels). I thought I followed the instructions in the .lua, but they are shifted to the left by the bezel width. Just gives me something else to tweak until getting back to the flying lessons!

Really appreciate the quick and extremely helpful response! Rep inbound, and will send some love to Kegetys

Edit: Ah... I tried the MFCDs this morning before work and before the coffee kicked in. I used the "3 monitors" .lua for the MFCDs on the inside corners of the outer monitors. Will try the outer corners of the middle monitor tonight and see if I can push them out to the outer screens by playing with the coordinates.

Last edited by tjash; 03-11-2011 at 12:49 PM. Reason: brainfart
tjash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 01:30 PM   #4
SinCityJet

Reputation power: 8
SinCityJet is on a distinguished road

The best tutorial on SoftTH's beta for Warthog, anywhere. I'm now flying 5760 by 1200 at 40 fps. PeterP, I've linked to your post above in the LockOnFiles forums.
Old 08-13-2012, 10:18 PM   #5
bacongrabber

bacongrabber is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the great tutorial. I'm now running a great frame rate with 2 x 22" monitors and 1x 28" monitor (centre).
My only problem is that when I start a mission etc, the camera slowly zooms out of the cockpit as usual but then zooms right into the UFC (I'm using trackir5). The only way I can get around this is to physically lean right into the cockpit, reset the trackir with f12 and then lean back out again. I don't have this problem when I use 3-cameras (bad frame rate) or don't load trackir before loading DCS. Any ideas? I've searched the forums to no avail. I'm just using the 3 monitor for cockpit views, no instrument views etc.
Thanks again,
John.
bacongrabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 10:39 PM   #6
PeterP
Veteran

PeterP is a splendid one to beholdPeterP is a splendid one to beholdPeterP is a splendid one to beholdPeterP is a splendid one to beholdPeterP is a splendid one to beholdPeterP is a splendid one to beholdPeterP is a splendid one to beholdPeterP is a splendid one to beholdPeterP is a splendid one to beholdPeterP is a splendid one to beholdPeterP is a splendid one to behold

Well - without knowing anything about your settings as I only know that you actually use three monitors successfully....I can make only a shot in the dark - here it comes:

A) This sounds like you have to set a new focal point in DCS:
use this as instruction:http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?...32&postcount=6

B)
and/or you want to revisit your TrackIr profile/setup use the following vid as guideline:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?...6&postcount=17

And please also read all manuals /readme's of TrackIR.
So you can't be surprised if something strange is happening.

Last edited by PeterP; 08-13-2012 at 10:47 PM.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:59 PM   #7
bacongrabber

Hi Peter,
Thanks for the prompt reply. I've spent the last 4hours trying your solutions (albeit with limited knowledge about my settings):

A) Ive tried tweaking the focal point with very limited results. Ive moved the x_trans right down to 0.1 which kinda works but when I turn my head the seat is huge and other things are distorted. Ive changed the FOV right up to 180 but again, limited results.

B) I've tried tweaking the trackIR interface but just cant get enough movement.

I'm guessing that the problem is the way that DCS is translating the Z movement of trackIR to the zoom level in the game.
I did have freetrack installed and working before I bought a trackIR unt, so possibly this has changed some files somewhere.
I dont have any problems when I set the monitorsetup to 3 screens/3 cameras - just the performance hit problems.
<edit> If I dont load trackIR the problem is still there but can be easily rectified by zooming out using / and * but when numpad/enter is pressed the view is zoomed right back into the UFC again.

I'm going to reinstall A-10c tomorrow evening and see if this cures it, otherwise I'm not sure what else to try other than going back to 1 screen which would be a shame after i've invested in monitors and new GPU (GTX 670).

Many Thanks,
John.
Old 08-15-2012, 05:32 AM   #8
PeterP
Veteran

Hi - would be still a good idea to pass me your system specs and a Track - so I can see what's going on ....

As I up to know still don't know anything about your setup - as in my post before : I can shoot only in to the dark... Please give us some light.

Having a look at your softthconfig and "monitorsetup".lua would be the equivalent of a 4000Watt Stadium-light.

Old 08-15-2012, 07:30 PM   #9
bacongrabber

Hi Peter,

I was just starting the process of re-installing A-10c and making a note of my control configuration when I noticed that the program had for some reason assigned a lot of my unused leobodnar interface connections to the view controls. I don't know when it has done this and I have never had any problems before. Possibly it has done it when I changed from freetrack to Trackir. AnywayI deleted these and hey presto the problem is resolved.

Anyway every cloud has a silver lining and due to this problem and reading your posts I have un-stretched the mission briefing screen and learned how to tweak the FOV etc so the whole experience has been for the best.

I'm off now to do some more tweaking and some quality flying.

Thanks again for your help.

Regards,

John.
Old 08-15-2012, 08:09 PM   #10
PeterP
Veteran

Thank you for thanking me.