KH-25ML Launch

barra733

Hi all. I'm doing the Georian Havoc campaign and struggling with the 'Secret Mission' where you have to launch a KH25ML from below 20 metres.

I've been told to put the Laser into designate mode; is this the Laser switch to the left ('standby' in English cockpit)?

I take it that as the 'designate' mode only designate for 20 seconds before resetting that you have to get a good lock then launch quickly? (Can you rangefind in 'normal' mode, then switch to 'designate' before launching?)

I've also been told that this weapon can be launched from 25KM away. Despite not being able to see the ships from below 20M is this really possible?

Any help really appreciated...

Edited by barra733
Solved problem

Take a look at my Blog Entry about Kh-25ML

- the standby switch is the Laser switch - directly below the HSI

- Yes, you can range find without designating. Do it before you switch on the Laser Designator

- The Laser Ranging itself only goes to 15km in normal usage - I've frequently have done it from 11 to 13 km. To do that you have to hit [A] to switch the Weapon system control switch from Manual to Auto. That over-rides the usual range limits on missiles.

Never tried it from 20km or so - might be worth setting up a ship off-shore in a mission to test it.

• Like 1

ZoomBoy

My Flight Sims Page

- Link to My Blog - Sims and Things - DCS Stuff++

- Up-to-Speed Guides to the old Lockon A10A and Su-25T

- Some missions [needs update]

Thanks Zoomboy - found this elsewhere a minute ago:

(1)Prep: Master arm on, Weapons system in manual, laser on, short burst mode selected (even if you want to fire both missiles at once).

2)Find a target, lock it up with the Skvhal, and get a laser range. For an enemy ship, you want to close to within 9km but greater than 5km so your missile travels quickly though enemy CWIS range. Because the Kh-25 flies pure pursuit and has a poor turning radius, if you are targeting a fast moving ship it is advisable to aim near the bow.

3)Sel ect your outer weapon stations, the Kh-25. A circular reticule should appear on the HUD.

4)Switch the laser from Norm mode to Stndby mode by flicking the switch under the HSI to the left. This is a possibly a mistranslation, Standby mode is in fact the laser designator mode.

5)Put your nose at least 2-3 degrees above level, preferably near or at the +5 degree setting that makes the helicopter naturally come to a hover.

6)MAKING SURE NO ONE ELSE NEARBY IS GUIDING A MISSILE, press the designate button (enter) to start the laser firing. The laser will fire for about 20-25 seconds. You should see the circular missile reticule jump onto the target. When you do, IMMEDIATELY fire either one or both of your missiles. To fire both missiles, press the pickle button twice, with 0.5-1 second between each press. You do NOT want to fire this weapon in pairs as it has a tendency to prematurely detonate and blow up both missiles when fired in pairs.

7)Keep the Skhval fixed on the target until impact. If you want to fire another missile afterwards, you need to wait till the countdown timer on the HUD expires before your laser can be fired again.

In the sim; The KH25ML at (approximately) M2.5, thats 1900 miles per hour, 31 miles per minute, .52 miles per sec. 38 seconds to travel 20 miles. Sorry I dont think in Metric!

The KH25 wont allow a "C" consent to launch, for me, unless I use the "designate" mode for the lazer. I havn't tried it at that range but it sounds interesting.:unsure: Launched from below 20 meters, (whats that 65 feet?) I doubt it would have the legs!

The Kh-25ML - semi-active laser guidance with tandem warhead should have a range of 10K or 5.2 miles. Depends on your belief? http://eng.ktrv.ru/production_eng/323/513/367/

The Kh-25MP (AS-12 'Kegler') - modular anti-radiation variant has a range of up to 40 Km at high launch altitudes. http://eng.ktrv.ru/production_eng/323/511/369/

Looks an interesting challenge. I havn't got to the mission yet. May have to ask Vladimir for the 25MP, I am a General, after all, so how could he say no:smilewink:нет

Regards.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]i7 Haswell @ 4.6Ghz, Z97p, GTX1080, 32GB DDR3, x3SSD, Win7/64, professional. 32" BenQ, TIR 5, Saitek x55 HOTAS.

Search User Files for "herky" for my uploaded missions. My flight sim videos on You Tube. https://www.youtube.com/user/David Herky

Dependent of the missile carrier plane it can be either poor 10 km or even 25-30 km. Su-24 (which can carry that missile) flying at let's say 1400 km\h at high alt can fire it from looooong range and lase it enough time.

Reminder: Fighter pilots make movies. Bomber pilots make... HISTORY! :D | Also to be remembered: FRENCH TANKS HAVE ONE GEAR FORWARD AND FIVE BACKWARD :D

ಠ_ಠ

Off topic admittedly, but that is why we need DCS-Su34 :D

System Spec: Cooler Master Cosmos C700P Black Edition case. | AMD 5950X CPU | MSI RTX-3090 GPU | 32GB HyperX Predator PC4000 RAM | | TM Warthog stick & throttle | TrackIR 5 | Samsung 980 Pro NVMe 4 SSD 1TB (boot) | Samsung 870 QVO SSD 4TB (games) | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

Personal wish list: DCS: Su-27SM & DCS: Avro Vulcan.

• 4 years later...

Wait, they were removed??

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

Wait, I havent flown the black shark in a while but what's wrong exactly with the Kh25s?

This post is protected by a pilot who has a serious lack of negotiating skills, but is absolute hell in a dogfight. If you do not belong here, please leave.

You have now been properly negotiated with.

MiG-29S Instant Action Mission Fix

Come check out and add to my list of all landmarks in DCS World!

^that works now

what is wrong with it?

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

Oh... I didn't know that either.

Thanks a lot Shu!.

Intel i7-14700@5.6GHz | MSI RTX4080 Super SuprimX | Corsair V. 32GB@6400MHz. | Samsung 1TB 990 PRO SSD (Win10Homex64)
Samsung G5 32" + Samsung 18" + 2x8"TFT Displays | Saitek X-55 Rhino & Rudder | TM MFD Cougars | Logitech G13, G230, G510, PZ55 & Farming Sim Panel | TIR5
>>MY MODS<< | Discord: Devrim#1068

Another question concerning the Kh-25ML - not worth an own thread:

With BlackSharks we were successful with buddy-lasing, but we failed doing this with Su-25T.

Ka-50: Lasing

Su-25: Trying to catch the spot

Had anyone more success or knows why we failed, assuming it is possible this way...

Another question concerning the Kh-25ML - not worth an own thread:

With BlackSharks we were successful with buddy-lasing, but we failed doing this with Su-25T.

Ka-50: Lasing

Su-25: Trying to catch the spot

Had anyone more success or knows why we failed, assuming it is possible this way...

Its not implemented in DCS:flowers:

"Blyat Naaaaa" - Izlom