Any Planes with ILS capability?

dresoccer4

random question, but was wondering if any of the modules allowed for ILS capability (autopilot or otherwise) similar to most modern planes?

i noticed most of the Caucuses airports had ILS beams. thanks!

Acer Predator Triton 700 || i7-7700HQ || 512GB SSD || 32GB RAM || GTX1080 Max-Q || FFB II and Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle || All DCS Modules

A-10, F-15, F-16, UH-1H all have ILS capabilities. The F/A-18C has the ICLS (carrier based ILS).

The russian jets from the Flaming Cliffs pack as well as the MiG-21 also have the russian version of ILS.

I might be missing some, but yeah... most aircraft do have that ability

'Shadow'

Everybody gotta be offended and take it personally now-a-days

JF-17

Windows 11 Home ¦ Z790 AORUS Elite AX motherboard ¦ i7-13700K ¦ 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5 memory @ 5600MHz ¦ Samsung 990 Pro 1TB SSD for OS, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB SSD for DCS ¦ MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24GB ¦ Virpil WarBRD base with VFX grip, Thrustmaster A10c and F/A-18 grips ¦ VKB Gunfighter Mk4 and MCG Pro ¦ Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle ¦ VKB STECS Throttle ¦ Virpil TCS rotor base with Shark and AH-64D  grips ¦ MFG Crosswinds ¦ Total Controls Multi-Function Button Box ¦ Pimax Crystal

Full fidelity (non-Flaming Cliffs) models with ILS:

• A-10C
  • AV-8B (sort of; the AWLS channels are mapped to ILS frequencies through some .lua file)
  • C-101
  • F-16C
  • JF-17
  • Mirage 2000C
  • UH-1H

Other ILS equivalents:

• AJS-37: TILS
  • F-14: ICLS
  • F/A-18C: ICLS
  • Mig-21: PRMG
  • L-39C: PRMG

To add on, I don't think any of these aircraft have autopilot ILS approaches that I'm aware of. The F-14 has an automatic carrier landing system using the ICLS but I think that's it.

I'm sure new planes like the F-35 have these autopilot systems but everything we have in DCS (except for the JF-17 I guess) was designed in the 80s or earlier.

Virpil WarBRD | Thrustmaster Hornet Grip | Foxx Mount | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle | Logitech G Throttle Quadrant | VKB T-Rudder IV | TrackIR 5

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB | 32GB DDR4 3200 | SSD

To add on, I don't think any of these aircraft have autopilot ILS approaches that I'm aware of. The F-14 has an automatic carrier landing system using the ICLS but I think that's it.

The F/A-18 has ACLS too, although it isn't implemented yet.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Don't be too sure. Last time I checked someone in the U.S. Navy is emotionally incapable of understanding how anyone might need a precision approach system during inclement weather and ILS is still not installed on Navy aircraft. I suspect the F-35 has the same problem.

It's a bit of a testament to Naval Aviators more of them haven't died. I fear a few will have to before Congress asks the Navy why something as basic (now days) doesn't seem to exist on modern, mega-million dollar aircraft.

i vaguely remember the MiG-21 having an actual autopilot ILS. in penning my original question thats what i was thinking along the lines of

Acer Predator Triton 700 || i7-7700HQ || 512GB SSD || 32GB RAM || GTX1080 Max-Q || FFB II and Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle || All DCS Modules

Don't be too sure. Last time I checked someone in the U.S. Navy is emotionally incapable of understanding how anyone might need a precision approach system during inclement weather and ILS is still not installed on Navy aircraft. I suspect the F-35 has the same problem.

It's a bit of a testament to Naval Aviators more of them haven't died. I fear a few will have to before Congress asks the Navy why something as basic (now days) doesn't seem to exist on modern, mega-million dollar aircraft.

I've never understood that and was quite surprised to find out the Hornet doesn't have ILS in RL. It's not like they only ever land on the boat. How do they land at shorebased airfields when the WX is at IFR precision mins.

System HW: i9-9900K @5ghz, MSI 11GB RTX-2080-Ti Trio, G-Skill 32GB RAM, Reverb HMD, Steam VR, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, TM F/A-18 Stick grip add-on, TM TFRP pedals. SW: 2.5.6 OB

Su-25T will take you IIRC 50 meters from the ground, then it gets disabled by safety reasons as pilot should already see the airstrip to land.

And that same system is in others too that has autopilot.

You can fly the whole mission under autopilot, all you need to do is to taxi to runway and push throttle and activate autopilot, then in landing just make the final flaring and stopping actions.

In real Su-25T the Shkval is even automatic.

Computer will turn Shkval On at the target area and then sleeve target gate on the programmed target coordinates, pilot job is refine the targeting and release weapons. If there is a laser designator firing, Shkval will search and lock to it. The autopilot even flies the CCRP profile for target.

It literally is almost completely "hands-off" mission.

But in DCS we don't have Shkval features it would have.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

This needs to be verified, but I'm pretty sure the Canadian (CF-188) version has civilian ILS capability

Pretty much everyone that doesn't land their F/A-18s on carriers have regular ILS receivers instead of ICLS. It all boils down to cost, space, weight and perceived usefullness. Obviously, the USN didn't see the need for an ILS receiver in addition to the ICLS.

In real Su-25T[...]

The autopilot even flies the CCRP profile for target.

This works in DCS too! After you lock the target you turn on Autopilot with LAlt-6 and it will fly straight and level towards the target. You just need to hold weapons release.

(see "Combat steering mode" in the Su-25T flight manual, page 19)

Edited by bolek

To add on, I don't think any of these aircraft have autopilot ILS approaches that I'm aware of. The F-14 has an automatic carrier landing system using the ICLS but I think that's it..

The Mirage 2000C has that capability. It might have been broken by a recent patch, but there is a video from the Grim Reapers showing this (autopilot ILS approach). Basically you get the controls 50m from the ground so all you have to do is flare.

As the plane doesn't have auto-throttle, though, you still need to keep your eye on the throttle. But other than that, the plane lands itself.

It also has a nice "synthetic runway" feature, showing you the runway outline in the HUD. Great feature to complement ILS approach.

AMD R7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3200MHz | RTX 4080S 16GB | Varjo Aero | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk3 + STECS + pedals

L-39 and mig-21 have PRMG (ILS russian counterpart), being L-39 map-based (there are only a few airbases in Caucasus with this device) while mig-21 module-based (with more channels and airbases, but you can tune those frequncies only with mig-21, being non functional with other modules).

I've never understood that and was quite surprised to find out the Hornet doesn't have ILS in RL. It's not like they only ever land on the boat. How do they land at shorebased airfields when the WX is at IFR precision mins.

Tacan approach. Most large military airfield's have them installed and yes it requires a bit more thought on the pilot re distance and altitude but its bread and butter and gets them to visual on threshold. Also always option to divert field - you would be amazed that even 30nm away the conditions can be very different. You can even have fog at one airfield yet 10miles away it can be clear due to relief, position near water source etc.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DCS & BMS

F14B | AV-8B | F15E | F18C | F16C | F5 | F86 | A10C | JF17 | Viggen |Mirage 2000 | F1 |  L-39 | C101 | Mig15 | Mig21 | Mig29 | SU27 | SU33 | F15C | AH64 | MI8 | Mi24 | Huey | KA50 | Gazelle | P47 | P51 | BF109 | FW190A/D | Spitfire | Mossie | CA | Persian Gulf | Nevada | Normandy | Channel | Syria | South Atlantic | Sinai 

Liquid Cooled ROG 690 13700K @ 5.9Ghz | RTX3090 FTW Ultra | 64GB DDR4 3600 MHz | 2x2TB SSD m2 Samsung 980/990 | Pimax Crystal/Reverb G2 | MFG Crosswinds | Virpil T50/CM3 | Winwing & Cougar MFD's | Buddyfox UFC | Winwing TOP & CP | Jetseat

I should also add that the meteorological guys are much better these days than 20 years ago, weather is generally known in advance for the time duration of training sorties. Also if conditions are too bad for recovery or to expedite the mission requirement the sortie will be cancelled.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DCS & BMS

F14B | AV-8B | F15E | F18C | F16C | F5 | F86 | A10C | JF17 | Viggen |Mirage 2000 | F1 |  L-39 | C101 | Mig15 | Mig21 | Mig29 | SU27 | SU33 | F15C | AH64 | MI8 | Mi24 | Huey | KA50 | Gazelle | P47 | P51 | BF109 | FW190A/D | Spitfire | Mossie | CA | Persian Gulf | Nevada | Normandy | Channel | Syria | South Atlantic | Sinai 

Liquid Cooled ROG 690 13700K @ 5.9Ghz | RTX3090 FTW Ultra | 64GB DDR4 3600 MHz | 2x2TB SSD m2 Samsung 980/990 | Pimax Crystal/Reverb G2 | MFG Crosswinds | Virpil T50/CM3 | Winwing & Cougar MFD's | Buddyfox UFC | Winwing TOP & CP | Jetseat

Tacan approach. Most large military airfield's have them installed and yes it requires a bit more thought on the pilot re distance and altitude but its bread and butter and gets them to visual on threshold. Also always option to divert field - you would be amazed that even 30nm away the conditions can be very different. You can even have fog at one airfield yet 10miles away it can be clear due to relief, position near water source etc.

Yeah, I'm well aware of TACAN approaches, which are non-precision. But you're not going to be able to shoot an approach down to 200-1/2 on a TACAN approach. I guess it was a calculated risk the USN took that they would just need to divert if unable to land if WX was below non-precision mins. And then I guess there is always a PAR if needed.

System HW: i9-9900K @5ghz, MSI 11GB RTX-2080-Ti Trio, G-Skill 32GB RAM, Reverb HMD, Steam VR, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, TM F/A-18 Stick grip add-on, TM TFRP pedals. SW: 2.5.6 OB

What you are encountering in Navy planes is mission mindset. In time of war, the Navy is not going to generally be operating from land-based airfields, they are going to deploy carriers. This is a holdover from WW2, and back then they had to be dragged kicking and screaming into the 20th century to even have carriers and Naval aircraft. But for projection of Naval power, carrier groups are still the way to go.

In the 20's and 30's numerous tests and demonstrations were shown to the Navy proving the power of Naval aviation, and they grudgingly built a few carriers, mainly at the insistence of congress. It is documented that the Navy attempted to sabotage some of the testing, and downplayed the rest, BTW. They really wanted to stick with those big battleships!

WW2 proved that aviation was the way to go in the modern age, and now the new generation of Naval commanders are all about carrier groups as the primary projection of Naval power. Land-based naval air stations are primarily for training in the Navy's view, let the Marines forward deploy on land for combat ops. (This is pretty much they way they did it in WW2 as well.) So a land-based ILS system is seen as not particularly useful, and the money can be better spent elsewhere.

Military procurement is a dog fight in congress, with each branch fighting for it's share of tax dollars, and often military appropriations are tied to congressional pet projects, so money has to be taken from operations to fund those, in addition to the usual budget cuts, etc. Witness the F-35 debacle.

Now that Space Command has been authorized, there is another dog in the fight, though the Air Force is going to take most of the beating on that, with personnel, bases, and equipment being transferred over, and reductions in appropriations for the USAF. The Navy will see some cuts, too, as there will likely be cuts across the board in some amount to balance spending on USSC. So with a carrier mindset, and reduced budget looming, it is highly unlikely that land-based ILS will be installed on any Navy aircraft, unless some major incident occurs to force it. Then most likely it will be only installed on land-based training aircraft (and will likely be the source of the incident if it happens.)

That being said, let's all take a moment to acknowledge the poor Coast Guard, who are already being practically sent to sea with a can of beans and a roll of duct tape, who are going to get hit again when they already are the red-headed stepchild of the armed services. :)

This works in DCS too! After you lock the target you turn on Autopilot with LAlt-6 and it will fly straight and level towards the target. You just need to hold weapons release.

(see "Combat steering mode" in the Su-25T flight manual, page 19)

Yes that I know, what is one of the limited real features in Su-25T in DCS.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.