Normandy Map Discussion

Lenux

We should have steam engine train from the start. But I'm not sure about damaging railways. As I understand this feature isn't presented in DCS at all.

To clarify, is this simply a re-skin of the existing trains or will the steam locomotives in Normandy/2.0 be objects a mission designer can manipulate? While you can "destroy trains" now, they have always been (for the most part) disconnected from mission parameters and objectives. Basically just scenery.

With the eventual introduction of the Thunderbolt, this would make a big difference to the pilots interested in the Air-to-Ground experience.

EDIT: It would be a great nod to include the full essence of the Jug's fearsome reputation, the namesake of the quintessential DCS product.

080311-f-3927P-001.jpg

Edited by Merlin-27

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

[Dogs of War] WWII COMBAT SERVER | P-51D - FW190-D9 - Me109-K4

Visit Our Website & Forum to Get More Info & Team Speak Access

We should have steam engine train from the start. But I'm not sure about damaging railways. As I understand this feature isn't presented in DCS at all.

Thanks for the reply Racoon. Just to say that the railway infrastructure was crucial to the ground war for ground army operational effectiveness. Railway systems were major targets for air forces, especially for the Allies in 1944/45. We would need proper modelling of the railway system if DCS is to deliver WWII and historic ground attack mission capability. Mission builders need to be able to position and run train routes and timetables. Marshalling yards, sheds, Stations, locomotives, carriages and bridges need damage modelling. Ground attack by fighters and fighter bombers of various types was crucial to the Allied invasion plan and liberation of the continent.

I would love to see DCS as the WWII flight simulation of choice for PC pilots, but we need a good interactive and dynamic map capability for mission builders in order to deliver and give pilots something tangible and realistic to do with the aircraft models they purchase. Otherwise we might just as well fly Nevada in the modern world and that is unlikely to generate and increase a decent customer base of WWII PC pilots. Perhaps you could have a word with whoever is leading the WWII project. Please forgive me if this is all in hand, but it should be one of the building blocks for delivering WWII on the Normandy map I would have thought.

The railway system moved tanks, troops, food, spares, everything you can think of that an army needs.

Happy landings,

Talisman

Edited by 56RAF_Talisman
  • Like 1

Bell_UH-1 side.png

Thanks for the reply Racoon. Just to say that the railway infrastructure was crucial to the ground war for ground army operational effectiveness. Railway systems were major targets for air forces, especially for the Allies in 1944/45. We would need proper modelling of the railway system if DCS is to deliver WWII and historic ground attack mission capability. Mission builders need to be able to position and run train routes and timetables. Marshalling yards, sheds, Stations, locomotives, carriages and bridges need damage modelling. Ground attack by fighters and fighter bombers of various types was crucial to the Allied invasion plan and liberation of the continent.

I would love to see DCS as the WWII flight simulation of choice for PC pilots, but we need a good interactive and dynamic map capability for mission builders in order to deliver and give pilots something tangible and realistic to do with the aircraft models they purchase. Otherwise we might just as well fly Nevada in the modern world and that is unlikely to generate and increase a decent customer base of WWII PC pilots. Perhaps you could have a word with whoever is leading the WWII project. Please forgive me if this is all in hand, but it should be one of the building blocks for delivering WWII on the Normandy map I would have thought.

The railway system moved tanks, troops, food, spares, everything you can think of that an army needs.

Happy landings,

Talisman

Good post, agree 100%.

I would love to see DCS WW2 to develop just the way you describe here. :thumbup:

System :-

i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12 core, ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming, 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz, 24GB Asus ROG Strix Geforce RTX 3090, 1x 500GB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, 1x 2TB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, Corsair 1000W RMx Series Modular 80 Plus Gold PSU, Windows 10. VIRPIL VPC WarBRD Base with HOTAS Warthog Stick and Warthog Throttle, VIRPIL ACE Interceptor Pedals, VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus Base with a Hawk-60 Grip, HP Reverb G2.

Also, will we be getting lots of shipping and the crucial Mulberry docks at Omaha and Arromanches beach heads?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mulberry_harbour

http://d-dayrevisited.co.uk/d-day/mulberry-harbour.html

Any sneak previews of any models for the Normandy map would be greatly appreciated Racoon.

Thanks in anticipation.

Happy landings,

Talisman

Bell_UH-1 side.png

Also, will we be getting lots of shipping and the crucial Mulberry docks at Omaha and Arromanches beach heads?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mulberry_harbour

http://d-dayrevisited.co.uk/d-day/mulberry-harbour.html

Any sneak previews of any models for the Normandy map would be greatly appreciated Racoon.

Thanks in anticipation.

Happy landings,

Talisman

+1 Bring it on! :)

Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI Mobo

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4

GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 8GB 256-Bit GDDR6(Assume the latest driver version)

Thermaltake Water 3.0 Certified Liquid Cooling System

Windows 10 Professional

Oculus Rift-S /TrackIR 5 in case VR dies

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog w/ Thrustmaster T-Flight Rudder Pedals

• ED Team

I do understand importance of a trains for WWII scenarios. We have all major railroads in the Normandy map now. Big problem is that trains in DCS aren't objects for mission makers. So we should create this feature for sure.

• Like 1

I do understand importance of a trains for WWII scenarios. We have all major railroads in the Normandy map now. Big problem is that trains in DCS aren't objects for mission makers. So we should create this feature for sure.

:thumbup:

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Ruh roh....scope creep! Hopefully it wont take tremendous code change to bring this feature in.

Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI Mobo

Windows 10 Professional

• ED Team
There are two features actually:

- train as a object for missions;

- train as a transportation unit for warehouse-airfield supply system.

It takes time to make any of them.

Yup, would be great, but probably a huge undertaking, would be nice to see in the future, but certainly would take some time.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

Many thanks Racoon :)

Below you can see the reason it is important.

Comments from German Field Marshal von Rundstedt on the causes of the German defeat in the West, from the Intelligence Bulletin, March 1946

AIR POWER AT WORK

Systematic preparations by the Allied air forces caused the general collapse of the German defense, Von Rundstedt said. He cited three important factors.

First, there was the smashing of the main lines of communication, particularly the railway junctions. Although Von Rundstedt had planned the defense so that reserves could be moved to the threatened areas, Allied planes knocked out railway lines and made the shifting of troops impossible.

The second factor was the attack on roads and on marching columns, individual vehicles, etc., so that it was impossible to move by day. This made it extremely difficult to bring up reserves, and it also created a supply problem because fuel and ammunition could not be brought up.

Carpet bombing constituted the third factor. In certain respects, Von Rundstedt said, it constituted an intensified artillery barrage and knocked out troops in pillboxes or dug in ahead of the front line. It also smashed reserves in the rear.

http://www.lonesentry.com/articles/rundstedt/

Thank you again for all your work and for taking the time to give us feedback and updates. Good luck with the map.

Happy landings,

Talisman

Bell_UH-1 side.png

I don't think one can call it scope creep. It's a core feature of the WWII set in many ways.

... Big problem is that trains in DCS aren't objects for mission makers. So we should create this feature for sure.

It sounds like to me it's a feature that wasn't initially implemented for the original project scope. The feature appears to require some alteration to the base code to make this work. To what degree I have no idea, but it again it sounds like it wasn't on the original task list.

EDIT...sounds like a creeper to me if they decide to bring this feature in before initial release.

Racoon thanks for the enlightment and for all the team do what you can. This sim has some serious promise! :)

Edited by Raven68

Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI Mobo

Windows 10 Professional

My concern over railway lines and their damage modelling would be a potential performance hit due to the extensive rendering of the lines and the damage. If trains can be modelled as vehicles and made to follow the path of existing 'painted' rail lines across the map that might be a good compromise. Specific sections of rail such as those near towns/depots etc. could be modelled.

klem

56 RAF 'Firebirds'

ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F mobo, i7 8086A @ 5.0 GHz with Corsair H115i watercooling, Gigabyte 2080Ti GAMING OC 11Gb GPU , 32Gb DDR4 RAM, 500Gb and 256Gb SSD SATA III 6Gb/s + 2TB , Pimax 8k Plus VR, TM Warthog Throttle, TM F18 Grip on Virpil WarBRD base, Windows 10 Home 64bit

I remember flying some missions near El Hotovo a couple of years ago in My A10C and strafeing trains. There were some nice explosions when I hit tank cars. Some cars and engine just turned black and looked burned out when hit. I haven't tried this in ages. Hope the explosion effect hasn't changed. Damage modeling on the train cars/engine (nice explosions and fire) is an important feature if we are so passionate about trains in Our WWII Map. If you hit a steam engine, it would be nice to see that big steam cloud release when the boiler is hit.

I'll have to target some trains tonight and see if anything has changed from what I remember.

In the mean time, anyone know what the current state is? Screens?

Edited by MegOhm_SD

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10

My concern over railway lines and their damage modelling would be a potential performance hit due to the extensive rendering of the lines and the damage. If trains can be modelled as vehicles and made to follow the path of existing 'painted' rail lines across the map that might be a good compromise. Specific sections of rail such as those near towns/depots etc. could be modelled.

Agreed, actual train lines themselves might not be so good to damage model; perhaps in the marshalling yards and stations only.

Trains/locomotives, engine sheds/workshops, station buildings and bridges would be the things to prioritise I would have thought. As long as the target can be put out of action with enough damage.

Happy landings,

Talisman

Bell_UH-1 side.png

How much of a hit would this incur?

Nice! And add to that, not trying to make this into a wish list, if there was a way to repair/patch damaged area. Providing that there was a running campaign in the background. :)

Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI Mobo

Windows 10 Professional

I think it could be simplified to Maximise performance. If the rail tracks are a series of standard models say 10m lengths then when that are damaged they can be a standard animation and then the rail model for the damaged section is hidden so a gap can seen and this would then derail a train.

System Specs: i7 8700k @ 5.0GHz (not delidded), ASRock Extreme4 Z370 MOBO, EVGA GTX 1080 SC 8GB, 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz DDR4 RAM, Samsung Evo 240GB SSD, Samsung Evo 500GB SSD, 1TB HDD, Noctura NH-D15S Heat Sink, Acer VE278H 27" 1080p Monitor, Ocukus Rift CV1.

Controllers: TrackIR 5, Thrustmaster HOTAS X, Saitek Throttle Quadrant (with DIY removable collective mod), Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals.

Just trying to keep my number of takeoffs and landings equal!

I remember flying some missions near El Hotovo a couple of years ago in My A10C and strafeing trains. There were some nice explosions when I hit tank cars. Some cars and engine just turned black and looked burned out when hit. I haven't tried this in ages. Hope the explosion effect hasn't changed. Damage modeling on the train cars/engine (nice explosions and fire) is an important feature if we are so passionate about trains in Our WWII Map. If you hit a steam engine, it would be nice to see that big steam cloud release when the boiler is hit.

I'll have to target some trains tonight and see if anything has changed from what I remember.

In the mean time, anyone know what the current state is? Screens?

I think that the visual is still there and you can in fact destroy them.

Thanks for the confirmation, Racoon. As it wasn't a core element of DCS in the past I did imagine it'd be a sizable "addition" to have the trains become a configurable mission item. Happy to hear you agree it would be a valuable improvement for WWII and hopefully it would not cause a huge performance hit. I'd imagine, without much real knowledge on the subject, that the trains could behave like a convoy of existing ground units do where they all can follow paths and can all be destroyed with minimal FPS hit. I'm sure it's a bit more complicated but from this perspective, not impossible.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

[Dogs of War] WWII COMBAT SERVER | P-51D - FW190-D9 - Me109-K4

Visit Our Website & Forum to Get More Info & Team Speak Access

Yup, would be great, but probably a huge undertaking, would be nice to see in the future, but certainly would take some time.

I dont think it's a difficult problem.

Trains use rail/road networks. Same as ground units.

Since cars able to follow route "on road" this will be a quick add for trains: follow route "on rails". New feature should be the train consist/compilation as well.

sign-pic4.jpg

• ED Team
I dont think it's a difficult problem.

Trains use rail/road networks. Same as ground units.

Since cars able to follow route "on road" this will be a quick add for trains: follow route "on rails". New feature should be the train consist/compilation as well.

To make this useful and worthwhile, I think it will be some work, and you would want track that was damageable as well... I would rather take some time and do it right :)

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png