A-10C improvements on USAF

Silver_Dragon

https://combataircraft.keypublishing.com/2019/09/05/the-ultimate-a-10-warthog-set-to-be-transformed-with-a-raft-of-upgrades/

- helmet mounted sight HObIT (Hybrid Optical-based Inertial Tracker)

- GBU-39 Small Diameter Bomb (SDB) integration

- new multi-target engagement capability

- replace ‘six-pack’ analogue flight instruments in the cockpit by a single large electronic primary flight display

- Link 16 data link connectivity

- other upgrades

https://combataircraft.keypublishing.com/2019/09/05/the-ultimate-a-10-warthog-set-to-be-transformed-with-a-raft-of-upgrades/

- replace ‘six-pack’ analogue flight instruments in the cockpit by a single large electronic primary flight display

- other upgrades

This made me laugh harder than it should, but it's quite amusing, given how much the Air Force tried to murder the Hawg :D

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Sen. Mc Cain about the A-10. I just found this on YT coincidentially.

It's from 2014 but still funny and still up to date.

${1}

Brrrrrrrrrrrt

I'd rather call in a Strike Eagle...

I7 6700K, MSI Z270 Gaming Pro Carbon, 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw V 3200, Inno3D GTX 1080, Samsung 970 Evo, Thrustmaster 1.6000M, TrackIr 5

- other upgrades

You forgot the Synthetic Aperture Radar pod on your list btw :)

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

Meh.. the days of the dials are numbered.

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

[Didn't realize this was in the reality part of the forum]

Hardware: T-16000M Pack, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, GTX 1070 SC2, AMD RX3700, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, FC3, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Ahah! some sense at last.

It amazes me how previous us administrations seemed to be bent on gutting the best elements of american aircraft ingenuity. Replacing the A10? Bwahahaha!

That lady was just about to mention the F35 as a CAS platform I bet ya!

The russians do not need to dabble around in this nonsense, they still fly the Grach today with the Su-25SM3 variant. Why change something that does the job well?

METEOP

i5-6600K OC@4.5Ghz, GTX 1070 OC, 32Gb RAM, M.2 NVMe SSD

Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Rudder Pro, Trackhat Clip, 1080p projector, Custom touchscreen rig, Ikarus touchscreen panel, Voice Attack, ReShade, Simshaker Aviator

It wasn't really the US administrations, but the USAF itself that wanted to get rid of the A-10.

Tornado3 small.jpg

It wasn't really the US administrations, but the USAF itself that wanted to get rid of the A-10.

Yes I checked it out I stand corrected, my bad. How on earth would a fighter spit on the A10 there is nothing to replace it with?

METEOP

Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Rudder Pro, Trackhat Clip, 1080p projector, Custom touchscreen rig, Ikarus touchscreen panel, Voice Attack, ReShade, Simshaker Aviator

Yes I checked it out I stand corrected, my bad. How on earth would a fighter spit on the A10 there is nothing to replace it with?

Because they don't really want to replace it. They never wanted to have it in the first place. A slow mud mover is not really glorious in the eyes of the stereotypical Air Force jet jockey. The Air Force only took the A-10 into their service, because the Army threatened to do it themselves if the Air Force isn't willing to do so.

Tornado3 small.jpg

Because they don't really want to replace it. They never wanted to have it in the first place. A slow mud mover is not really glorious in the eyes of the stereotypical Air Force jet jockey. The Air Force only took the A-10 into their service, because the Army threatened to do it themselves if the Air Force isn't willing to do so.

I remember reading somewhere that the Marines also noted they'd be happy to take 'em as well... Maybe it was just some of the grunts (for sure).

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Now that's a bunch of updates I'd be willing to pay double as a new DCS module. :)

But it's really fascinating. Wasn't the A-10 on the way out the door for good right before it was deployed in Syria? And now this sounds like a big fat multi-million dollar upgrade program. Can't beat the brrrt.

Edited by Yurgon

Now that's a bunch of updates I'd be willing to pay double as a new DCS module. :)

But it's really fascinating. Wasn't the A-10 on the way out the door for good right before it was deployed in Syria? And now this sounds like a big fat multi-million dollar upgrade program. Can't beat the brrrt.

Yeah, thanks to congress (especially Senators McCain and McSally), the USAF has not suceeded with its campaign to retire the A-10C. Well, for now at least.

A compromise has been made, that about half the fleet will be retired now and will serve as replacement parts for the other half (about 120 aircraft IIRC) that will continue to fly well into the 2030s and will recieve the mentioned upgrades.

Tornado3 small.jpg

you got me dreaming... of an A10 on the catapult! Imagine that!

METEOP

• 3 weeks later...

18 is an odd number, considering GBU-39s are always carried by a BRU-61 rack, which can hold up to 4 GBU-39s (or GBU-53s pretty soon). So depending where you load the BRUs, with 5 loaded your SDB loadout would be 20 weapons; I doubt the weight of 2 extra SDBs (about 500lbs) would make a difference to the Hog...

I'm lucky to have a lot of experience working with SDBs (in real military fighter sims, not IRL, unfortunately); fun to use and yes if you have the time and sensors it's easy to target everyone individually - but they are SLOOOW! Take forever to get to the target!

Vulture

18 is an odd number, considering GBU-39s are always carried by a BRU-61 rack, which can hold up to 4 GBU-39s (or GBU-53s pretty soon). So depending where you load the BRUs, with 5 loaded your SDB loadout would be 20 weapons; I doubt the weight of 2 extra SDBs (about 500lbs) would make a difference to the Hog...

I'm lucky to have a lot of experience working with SDBs (in real military fighter sims, not IRL, unfortunately); fun to use and yes if you have the time and sensors it's easy to target everyone individually - but they are SLOOOW! Take forever to get to the target!

Vulture

Maybe it means that's the maximum number of targets that can be aimed at in one drop???

Maybe it means that's the maximum number of targets that can be aimed at in one drop???

Possible but unlikely, I routinely target 20 (5xBRU-61s) GBU-39s in an F-15E; all on individual targets. I think it's a typo ;^)

Cheers,

Kirk

I'd pay for an A-10C upgrade/module...

Give us the option of flying with or without the upgraded stuff.

Also raise the price of the A-10 module, new sales get both the old and the new.

Wont Happen, the Current DCS:A-10C Suite is Vastly Outdated even before these upgrades were announced.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs