F-4E Phantom news?

Hummingbird

Nope, it has an INS, that is aided by GPS: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GPS/INS

It's called a EGI (Embedded GPS INS) and if the GPS fails (satelites get jammed or shot down, which is very likely in a high scale war against a peer opponent) it will just function as a normal INS. That's why you need to do an alignment on the ground during startup, which is needed for the INS part.

Much obliged :thumbup:.

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

I was under the impression that the Hornets data link relied on GPS (for positioning of everything)? In either case, Data link / SA doesnt work on the Hornet, if you set a mission to for example 1985. At least it didnt the couple of times I tested it a short while ago.

So just saying, the Hornet could still be used as an early Lot, if the mission designer dials back time. If this is a feature or a loophole that ED will close later, who knows.

I havent tried "going back in time" in mission date, so that's interesting. In the 80s the Hornets did have data links just the older link4a system. Link4a is still able to be used ( backward compatability) in a 2000s hornet. It's simply a feature that has yet to be developed.

That being said the fa18c didnt exist in 1985 anyways :smilewink:

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

If DCS: Supercarrier is a success, maybe they'll think about DCS: Supercarrier II, with an earlier carrier model such as the Kitty Hawk/Enterprise and a F-4J/S package.

"These are NOT 1 to 1 replicas of the real aircraft, there are countless compromises made on each of them" - Senior ED Member

Modules - Damn near all of them (no Christian Eagle or Yak)

System - i7-12700K, 64Gig DDR4 3200 RAM, RTX-3080, 3 32" monitors at 5760 x 1080, default settings of High (minor tweaks)

That being said the fa18c didnt exist in 1985 anyways :smilewink:

Oh Im sorry, then set it to 1987-93 or 94 or something, if an example date is that big a problem for you.

Atm, setting the mission time before, eh mid 90's something, seems to render the Hornets GPS useless for example. It'll know its heading, but thats about it. I havent fully dived into it, just noticed when wanting to test a mission I had put to 1985 (and another to 1991).

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

Roger, I see, C model. I was recalling first one.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

To me the slatted F-4E is the one that makes the most sense, also when we think about what version of the MiG-21 it is that we have (Bis). So I'm very happy Belsimtek/ED chose that one.

Abit of info:

"The first production F-4E to be fitted with slats was 71-0237, but the first to actually fly with slats was 71-0238 which made its maiden flight on February 11, 1972. The addition of these slats greatly enhanced the maneuvering performance, and the USAF decided to retrofit earlier F-4Es with these slats. The USAF ordered the first slat modification kits in April of 1972, and the first retrofitted F-4E (serial number 69-7524) flew on September 28, 1972. 304 earlier production block F-4Es were retrofitted with these slats, which included just about every surviving F-4E except for those serving with the Thunderbirds."

Also remember the besides being operated by the USAF, Luftwaffe, RAAF, EAF & HAF (that's 5 AF's), the slatted F-4E also closely resembles the F-4F operated by Germany.

The variant chosen back when the module was announced is the perfect one as far as I'm concerned, and frankly, it's also the best fitting one to DCS as it is. If they eventually say "we're developing the F-4, but not the late E, it'll be a naval variant" that'd frankly be the last great disappointment with DCS as far as I'm concerned :P.

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

The variant chosen back when the module was announced is the perfect one as far as I'm concerned, and frankly, it's also the best fitting one to DCS as it is. If they eventually say "we're developing the F-4, but not the late E, it'll be a naval variant" that'd frankly be the last great disappointment with DCS as far as I'm concerned :P.

Have to agree.

My great wish was for the Luftwaffe ICE version with the Hornet's radar/fc set, for more contemporary mission building. I'm usually building 90s missions to suit the bulk of pre-existing FC/DCS traffic, Tomcats, Hornets, Flanker-B, Mirage-2000, as opposed to older periods or newer where most of the traffic environment isn't modelled yet or is too classified to be modelled seriously.

I suppose I'm looking more from a combat sim POV like FC than a study sim as DCS largely is atm I guess. If I want to make a little Euro-coalition Luftwaffe base the only non-US a/c option for a-a defence is French Mirages. That's like hanging out with a neighbour who thinks you make too much noise and leaves his rubbish in your front yard. If they only sent Tornados then British RAF would be handling their a-a, but they don't have any a-a a/c implemented either, no ADV Tornado. Best I can do is assign RAAF or RCAF Hornets and whilst it doesn't kill the flavour of that base quite as much as having to put USAF/USMC/USN a/c there to have any chance in a shooting war it's still not quite the flavour I was aiming for designing the mission, say in the early stages of a campaign where just a couple of Euro nations are stepping into Georgia first to avoid a political escalation between the main forces of the RF/CIS and the US, whilst still sabre rattling somewhat safely between them through satellites, partners and coalitions and claiming little or no personal involvement, escalating later in the campaign.

So obviously I'm really missing the ICE Phantom personally.

But I totally get the USAF F4E as the best DCS sim version to do all round. Good choice. Definitely looking forward to it.

F-4E

Hi to all...sometimes i take a look at ED roadmap i know it changes a lot and i dont understand the come out of certain planes so i would like that ED would be more precise when saying information about new news and not given us surprises that are not on plans.

Please ED be a more thrustworthy company:pilotfly:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

---- " In Peace.....Prepare to War "--------

Wishlist : F-4 Phantom / F-20 TigerShark / Su-34

Processor Core i7 4790, 32 Gb RAM, 2 Tb SSHD, GTX 750 2Gb, 1920X1080 Gaming Monitor, Senze Joypad, Windows 8.1 Pro 64Bit, VMware Workstation 12 for WindowsXP with Office 2007 and Linux OpenSUSE for Net Access.

If they only sent Tornados then British RAF would be handling their a-a, but they don't have any a-a a/c implemented either, no ADV Tornado.

You could use the Hawk :rolleyes:. The British Phantoms were either based on the J ( the Spey ones ), or actually were upgraded J ( the secondhand ones post-Falklands ), so no RAF love coming there either. Back to the Spitfire, boys!

I'd probably jump on a carrier model just because of the flexibility. The plane was by a lot of accounts a dog to actually fly & I've never been a big fan of it, so the lack of that USP is going to put me off the thing.

Most Wanted: the angry Naval Lynx | Seafire | Buccaneer | Hawker Hunter | Hawker Tempest/Sea Fury | Su-17/22 | rough strip rearming / construction

Not a carrier version? Without a carrier variant I loose some interest. The iconic Vietnam carrier launched F-4 is what comes to mind to me for the Phantom. Can't say I'm terribly well informed of the F-4 history. I know it was mistakenly missiles only in early version but got upgraded.

Intel Core i7 3630QM @ 2.40GHz (Max Turbo Frequency 3.40 GHz) | 16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz | 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 635M | 447GB KINGSTON SA400S37480G (SATA-2 (SSD))

Not a carrier version? Without a carrier variant I loose some interest. The iconic Vietnam carrier launched F-4 is what comes to mind to me for the Phantom. Can't say I'm terribly well informed of the F-4 history. I know it was mistakenly missiles only in early version but got upgraded.

I can't blame you there since the F-4 was first and foremost a Navy plane. And to have a true F-4 experience, I think there would need to be both the F-4E and one of either the F-4B/J/S present at minimum.

The F-4E is the most produced and handily the most successful so I understand why they would choose this. Sometimes, I wish the talented individuals who made the A-4 at Hoggit could make us an F-4J while we wait for the F-4E *nudge, nudge, wink, wink!*

Please ED continue to develop the F-4E Phantom, the most iconic aircraft of the 70s & 80s and even today for operators such as Japan, Turkey, Greece and Iran.

F-4E Phantom has such a great following and rich history of involvement in aerial warfare spanning many conflicts all over the world.

I am sure it will be almost if not as popular as the Viper.

Cheers!

IAF.ViFF

http://www.preflight.us

Israel's Combat Flight Sim Community Website

Please ED continue to develop the F-4E Phantom, the most iconic aircraft of the 70s & 80s and even today for operators such as Japan, Turkey, Greece and Iran.

F-4E Phantom has such a great following and rich history of involvement in aerial warfare spanning many conflicts all over the world.

I am sure it will be almost if not as popular as the Viper.

Cheers!

The phantom has planned (confirmed by Wags) after mi-24.

Enviado desde mi RNE-L21 mediante Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

ehhmm..

i hope they will continue wokring on this plane asap

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

• 2 weeks later...

Wrote this in the AH-1 thread & it's just speculation on my part, but it's possible that Belsimtek got pretty close with the F4 (As Belsimtek said, they had it flying internally), and were working on getting their Autopilot AI to work (that much we know), but that while the new AI was a step forward from the Autopilots of the Huey and Mi-8, it was still in that vein.

Then when they came back in-house - & with the F-14 out - it was decided that the Autopilot AI & interface wasn't going to compare well with other products as it was then conceived, so they have put aircraft that need that functionality (aircraft that need a full RIO / WSO) on hold until E.D. have their own version of that kind of WSO AI that will compare favourably with the Jester.

Edit:

Not sure how that fits with the M-24, but maybe that was too close to ready & too anticipated to make sense to sit on it, & maybe they figure we can get by with a better autopilot. Maybe we'll see how the new AP came out.

Cheers.

Just read Wags recent interview and it seems it's official that it will be several years until we see the F-4E ingame :( A shame considering how big the demand is for this aircraft as well as how far along it looked like Belsimtek were with the project.

I wonder if it would be possible to have a collaboration between ED and a trusted 3rd party (Heatblur) to speed up module development in some way? Just wishful thinking, although I'll also be perfectly honest and say that if this was possible I'd want to see the F-15C ASM more than anything. I was looking forward to the F-4 though.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

I wonder if it would be possible to have a collaboration between ED and a trusted 3rd party (Heatblur) to speed up module development in some way? Just wishful thinking, although I'll also be perfectly honest and say that if this was possible I'd want to see the F-15C ASM more than anything. I was looking forward to the F-4 though.

ED prefers to do things on their own, so not gonna happen.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

i hope they let HB make phantom instead waiting for years..

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5