AGM65-H or K Color CCD?

hololight

So I would like to use one of the color 'mods' for the A-10C TGP (I'm totally fine with the 'realism' since after some research, the more current versions of the Litening have that ability). That said, the problem becomes that the code I found also changes the Maverick to have a color image. Is that realistic? I have been looking around, but I can't find any information if modern versions use a color CCD or only B/W?

Hoping for some insight; and if its only supposed to be B/W, then does someone know how to modify the code so that it only affects the TGP?

TGP - Shkval color mod:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/1758179/

which is based on this code:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2670189&postcount=21

Thanks All!

That said, the problem becomes that the code I found also changes the Maverick to have a color image. Is that realistic? I have been looking around, but I can't find any information if modern versions use a color CCD or only B/W?

That's a good question! :thumbup:

I'm afraid I can offer little more than guesswork, but here's my 2 ct:

In earlier days, the IR Mav seeker was used as a kind of poor man's TGP in the A-10 (around the same time that Strike Eagles were already getting equipped with TGPs).

Since the early 2000s, A-10s have gotten the Litening TGP (CCD plus IR), and the Mav was no longer needed as a TGP replacement.

I've read from different people that a color TGP would not make any sense from a tactical point of view, but I always felt that the ability to identify objects like "the black pickup with a red roof" or "the building with the blue facade" could make target ID simpler and less error prone while increasing SA at the same time, so I'm looking forward to a possible future DCS representation of a color TGP myself. :)

But with the CCD Mav seeker, it's all about tracking objects, which in turn requires contrast. Would a color CCD add anything in terms of tracking range and locking quality? I assume it doesn't, so I'd be surprised if Maverick seekers were already using color CCDs plus the color output on a display like an MFCD.

Then again, image and pattern recognition as a technology have seen massive advancements in the past couple of years, so maybe this has already been incorporated?

As for the mods, sorry, no idea how to separate color TGP from color Mav, but if you find a solution, be sure to post it here. :thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...

As it applies to the DCS mod, I think the TGP and MAV images come from the same basic area in the sim's code. So, if one is modified to show color, the other one will follow. Just a WAG on my part. :D

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly: