Harrier tgp coodinate format?

Joebooty

A freind and I attempted to use the harriers tpod for targeting jdams from a hornet. It seems that the hornet uses an entirely different lat/long format than the hornet. Is there a way to change this or a coversion one can do?

A freind and I attempted to use the harriers tpod for targeting jdams from a hornet. It seems that the hornet uses an entirely different lat/long format than the hornet. Is there a way to change this or a coversion one can do?

Take the last 3 digits and multiply by 0.06.

For example

N 4434067

E 3949600

would be 067 * 0.06 = 04.02

600 * 0.06 = 36.00

so the coordinates would be

N 44 34 04.02

E 39 49 36.00

Based on a similar question I asked about the current pod coord not matching anything else (including the Harrier's own nav system)here the current solution is, rather unhelpfully, 'do maths'

Granted that isn't the answer you probably wanted (It certainly wasn't what I was after). Until RAZBAM improve the functionality of the pod /nav system, you will need to do manual conversion.

I'm kind of at a loss here, to understand how you would require the coordinates for the JDAM.

I thought the idea was that the TPOD on the Harrier lases the target, which the FA-18 then detects and feeds to the JDAM. Fly within the targeting envelope of the JDAM, fire(drop)-n-forget (the JDAM's targeting the laser-signal does all the work).

So where do the coordinates come in? :huh:

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

I'm kind of at a loss here, to understand how you would require the coordinates for the JDAM.

I thought the idea was that the TPOD on the Harrier lases the target, which the FA-18 then detects and feeds to the JDAM. Fly within the targeting envelope of the JDAM, fire(drop)-n-forget (the JDAM's targeting the laser-signal does all the work).

So where do the coordinates come in? :huh:

You’re thinking of Laser Guided Bombs. A JDAM is Inertial Guided.

I didn't know that. I thought JDAM's were laser-guided :doh:

Never ending learning curve :P

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

Even with laser guided bombs, the hornet couldn't pick up the laser energy right now without a TPOD of its own. It would still need coordinates or at least a close approximate location to drop the bombs onto.

Virpil WarBRD | Thrustmaster Hornet Grip | Foxx Mount | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle | Logitech G Throttle Quadrant | VKB T-Rudder IV | TrackIR 5

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB | 32GB DDR4 3200 | SSD

The problem the Hornet has there isn't that the bomb wouldn't guide, but that the Hornet (contrary to the Harrier) doesn't have a LST, so the pilot wouldn't have a (rough) aimpoint to drop at.

This is solved by manually inputting the target coordinates or getting a good visual talk-on or mark (smoke/flare/impacts/etc.) to the target area.

As long as the bomb is properly coded and dropped in such a manner that it can both see the properly-coded laser spot and physically reach it, you're golden. No TPOD necessary.

Take the last 3 digits and multiply by 0.06.

For example

N 4434067

E 3949600

would be 067 * 0.06 = 04.02

600 * 0.06 = 36.00

so the coordinates would be

N 44 34 04.02

E 39 49 36.00

I've been looking for this solution, many thanks will give this a try as my mate in his 18 wasn't able to accurately hit a target with his jdams that I was using the harrier tpod co-ordinates for (in the air programming)

Small kinda workaround:

During night, use the NVG in the Hornet and the marker on the Harrier. This should be enough to deisgnate a target with the Hornet.

Btw: is there any other coordinate system still missing in the Harrier, or can the Tpod just display this?

Steam user - Youtube

I am for quality over quantity in DCS modules

Small kinda workaround:

During night, use the NVG in the Hornet and the marker on the Harrier. This should be enough to deisgnate a target with the Hornet.

Btw: is there any other coordinate system still missing in the Harrier, or can the Tpod just display this?

Maybe in the harrier try to manually steer the WP cue on the map which would give you co-ordinates but it wont be accurate enough for jdam use if passing co-ordinates to your 18 friends. Would need to test it, but its all about knowing that exact position of the actually target, a building would be easy but anything else will be a lot harder.

Are JDAMS used much against vehicles? I doubt its the preferred option

Given the IRL errors in TPOD generated coordinates I'm not really sure why you'd want them.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

That the buddy in the bug can enter a waypoint and designate it for a CCRP GBU drop.

Without doing any brain-math, or haveing a LST.

Yes, and it would largely be unrealistic because depending on your own distance from the target there would be 10s to 100s of meter error IRL. It would be good enough for him to point his own pod to an area and find something to kill, but generally speaking not for targeting weapons. At 10nm the TPOD error is up to 100m or so. The harrier can only use its own TPOD for JDAM precision coordinates at 6nm or less.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Why should a 100m error being a big problem when droping a gbu vom 15k feet?

Maybe you got me wrong, I don't want to tell them JDAM coordinates, I would like to lase a target for them and just give them coordinates so that they know wherr to drop the GBUs...

Steam user - Youtube

I am for quality over quantity in DCS modules