Scale difference between the supercarrier module and the stennis?

FoxTwo

I've seen comments from people saying the scale of the current Stennis model is off (too small). I was just wondering how much more deck space we were looking at getting in the supercarrier? Given how many parking/spawn points that are planned it seems like it's quite a bit larger. Or is that area just being better utilized thanks to AI handling a lot of the taxi duties?

I don't recall the exact number, but the difference is a few feet, not much. There's already plenty of space for more spawn points, the new thing will be that we'll have many different points on the deck to choose from.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

IIRC the figure i remember being talked about was low single digit percents, like 4-5% off (and I could be wrong on that). So the new one will be a tiny bit bigger but not much.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

The old Carl Vinson 3d model is pretty close to what things should be in terms of length and width, but its shape is off a little in places. At any rate placing the Vinson and the Stennis side by side gives a pretty good idea of the scale issue. It is low digits off by scale but that adds up in places.

Screen_200110_164341.thumb.jpg.1cc300a16bc8d661468a092614930084.jpg

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

The old Carl Vinson 3d model...

I'd love to see them upgrade that Flanker 2 Vinson model to the current Stennis one.

"These are NOT 1 to 1 replicas of the real aircraft, there are countless compromises made on each of them" - Senior ED Member

Modules - Damn near all of them (no Christian Eagle or Yak)

System - i7-12700K, 64Gig DDR4 3200 RAM, RTX-3080, 3 32" monitors at 5760 x 1080, default settings of High (minor tweaks)

I'd love to see them upgrade that Flanker 2 Vinson model to the current Stennis one.

Join the club.

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

Well I went and recreated it with the current Stennis. It seems to be a couple feet too narrow? Planes still make it but the wings should have probably collided.

6xAHejc.jpg

drvYwhd.jpg

q7eNpzN.jpg

It will be interesting to see what it's like with the supercarrier.

Edited by FoxTwo

This is the sort of thing I had in mind.

My methodology:

I placed a Hornet and Tomcat (player versions of both models) on the deck of the Stennis and took a shot from strait up in-game. I then scaled the image to get an overall length on the Hornet of 56'0" and then cross-checked with the Tomcat. My scaled drawing puts the overall length of the Tomcat at 62'5" - which is pretty close to the real length of 62'8.5" so I'm reasonably confident in my numbers.

The results: pretty complex. The in-game Stennis is mostly smaller than the real one, but also larger in a few spots, sometimes significantly. It means it's not a simple case of being X% too small, but the geometry is warped in complex ways. Given this, it's not surprising at all that building a new model from scratch took precedent over fixing the in-game model.

1791814931_StennisDimentions.thumb.jpg.28e4ec79100e422316edd0a2da7da321.jpg

It's been done:

Tl;dr: Stennis is a few percent too small. But it's certainly "good enough".

i7 - 9700K | 32 GB DDR4 3200 | RTX 2080 | VKB Gunfighter Mk II /w MCG Pro | Virpil T-50CM2 Throttle | TrackIR 5 | VKB Mk. IV

AJS-37 | A/V-8B | A-10C | F-14A/B | F-16C | F-18C | F-86F | FC3 | JF-17 | Ka-50 | L-39 | Mi-8 | MiG-15bis | MiG-19 | MiG-21bis | M2000-C | P-51D | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | UH-1H

It's been done:

Yup, I've seen the video. It does a great job examining the geometry of the landing area of the ship, but I was more curious about the shape of the entire ship and specifically looking at the question about the bow catapults, since I've wondered the same thing myself.

Here's an overlaid comparison between the two. I'd say for most of the ship the width is very close, but overall the length is wrong, and the error seems to be greatest at the bow.

977149225_DCSStennisOverlay.thumb.jpg.5af476bdbdb91330eb61906c8a07b328.jpg

Yup, I've seen the video. It does a great job examining the geometry of the landing area of the ship, but I was more curious about the shape of the entire ship and specifically looking at the question about the bow catapults, since I've wondered the same thing myself.

Here's an overlaid comparison between the two. I'd say for most of the ship the width is very close, but overall the length is wrong, and the error seems to be greatest at the bow.

Which I think explains the claustrophobic feeling of wrongness on a full deck. Too narrow like you're shoulder to shoulder inside a packed subway car.