ED Forums - View Single Post - New 2020 update sounds great!
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2020, 04:57 AM   #30
GunSlingerAUS

I’ve got bad news for you mate. Even if Vulkan is released it is not going to cure the virtual reality frame rate problem. I think we can expect around 10 to 20% performance increase with DCS utilising more than one core. To get a dramatic performance increase, the entire engine would need to be written from the ground up. That sure as hell that ain’t gonna happen. You’re going to have to invest in new hardware, such as the GeForce RTX 3080 TI to improve the VR experience. And even then I don’t think that GPU will be fast enough for a perfect VR experience, we are looking at waiting for another 4 to 5 years before that happens.

My suggestion to you is to buy the fastest PC you can, and then put your VR headset to the side. DCS runs and looks beautiful in standard 2D. So enjoy that way of playing until VR becomes perfectly playable in 2024!

By the way, flight simulators have always been by far the most demanding games to run on the PC. The complexity, scope and the sheer size means that they will hurt your PC more than any other genre of game. Expecting these demanding games to be able to run smoothly In VR is simply not realistic. You need to taper your expectations, be patient and wait for the hardware fast enough for VR to arrive in a few years time. After spending 150 hours trying to get the VR experience to work well on my monster PC, I’ve realised that I’m going to have to stick to 2D for the next few years. And now that I’ve stopped chasing the dream of a good VR experience I’m loving this amazing game.
Intel i7-9700K OCd to 5GHz w/ water cooling; 32GB DDR4 3866MHz; MSI RTX 2080 Ti; Asus Hero XI motherboard; Samsung 2TB 960 Pro mSATA SSD; 1TB ADATA mSATA SSD; Corsair HX1000i PSU; Schiit Jotunheim headphone amp w/ multibit DAC + Vocal Clear headphones + HeSuVi HRT VSS 7.1 software; LG 34gk950f 34" 144Hz 3440 x 1440 display; HP Reverb HMD; Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS and TFRP pedals; TrackIR5; Razer Viper Ultimate mouse; SteelSeries APEX Pro keyboard; one very happy gamer behind it all!

Last edited by GunSlingerAUS; 01-20-2020 at 05:20 AM.
GunSlingerAUS is offline   Reply With Quote