A-10C not possible to trim out in roll?

Fred00

I think I've said this before, but why is it more or less impossible to trim out the A-10C in roll nowadays? I don't remember this being the case a couple of years ago. Seriously, just a few seconds after starting in the air it starts to lean left or right. A quick press to trim the opposite way and a few seconds later it starts leaning that way. Finding an equilibrium seems almost impossible and makes flying the A-10 a chore. Please ED, look over trim for this aircraft. Don't let something simple like this spoil the experience.

maybe check for noise on your roll axis and insert/increase deadzone to cancel out any unwanted input that might be there.

the properties of your joystick in the windows usb game controller dialogue should show up any such unwanted movements.

oh and you might also want to check that you don't have any of those duplicate axis mappings, your rudder pedals or a twist axis for example, that might cause the aircraft to think that you want it to roll.

Merry Christmas

Edited by Greyman

It doesn't seem to be any of those problems. I have a Warthog stick and no rudders. Setting a huge dead zone on the stick doesn't help either. Only the A-10C exhibits this behaviour.

It does seem as if the trim is too coarse in the A-10C. Making fine adjustments is not really possible. The Hornet for example is much better.

As stated, this problem was not present back in 2015-2017.

It does seem as if the trim is too coarse in the A-10C. Making fine adjustments is not really possible. The Hornet for example is much better.

It might well be like this in the real A-10. Yes, it takes a little bit of patience to trim out but it can still be done. It's just a matter of making a little effort and being gentle with the trim hat.

As stated, this problem was not present back in 2015-2017.

No, that's incorrect. I clearly remember back in those days, the trim behavior was exactly the same.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The problem in DCS at the moment is that the trim increments are too big when using the stick. For instance in the P-51D it's pretty hard to get a proper trim without actually using the mouse and the trim wheels rather then the POV hat on the stick.

I wish they would change, or give an option for the trim changes to be in smaller increments when pressing the POV hat briefly.

Spoiler

W10-x64 | Z390 Gigabyte Aorus Ultra | Core i7 9700K @ 4.8Ghz | Noctua NH-D15

Corsair 32Gb 3200 | MSI RTX 3080ti Gaming X

Asus Xonar AE | TM Hotas Warthog

MFG Crosswind pedals | Valve Index

The problem is that when you centre the TVV the aircraft can still have roll in it, which is made worse by the coarse nature of trim. You can't just fine tune it with a small amount of trim, because the aircraft will just roll through it in the opposite direction. Personally I wish the A-10C trim was a bit finer, and the F/A-18 trim a bit more coarse.

Note: TM Warthog stick

Edited by supanova

Learn DCS A-10C with me. Follow my Youtube tutorials here.

Try AAR then. You will probably see. :music_whistling:

You don't need perfect trim for AAR in the first place.

i7 - 9700K | 32 GB DDR4 3200 | RTX 2080 | VKB Gunfighter Mk II /w MCG Pro | Virpil T-50CM2 Throttle | TrackIR 5 | VKB Mk. IV

AJS-37 | A/V-8B | A-10C | F-14A/B | F-16C | F-18C | F-86F | FC3 | JF-17 | Ka-50 | L-39 | Mi-8 | MiG-15bis | MiG-19 | MiG-21bis | M2000-C | P-51D | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | UH-1H

And trim doesn't have to be perfect. It's supposed to relieve pressure on the controls, and allow the aircraft to remain stable if the pilot becomes distracted or removes their hands from the controls for short periods of time.

Trying to "fly the airplane with trim" is a bad habit. You might need a click here or there in level cruise flight, but that's normal.

It does have an autopilot for a reason!

And trim doesn't have to be perfect. It's supposed to relieve pressure on the controls, and allow the aircraft to remain stable if the pilot becomes distracted or removes their hands from the controls for short periods of time.

Trying to "fly the airplane with trim" is a bad habit. You might need a click here or there in level cruise flight, but that's normal.

It does have an autopilot for a reason!

This! :thumbup:

A-10A, A-10C, A-10C II, AV-8B, F-5E, F-16C, F/A-18C, F-86F, Yak-52, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria, Supercarrier, Combined Arms, FW 190 A-8, FW 190 D-9, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Normandy + WWII Assets Pack

I concur, with the TM Warthog trim hat, the input is much too coarse. Even a micro bump sends you rolling in the other direction. For example, test to see how much one quick press of trim on the keyboard is compared to a micro bump of the hat switch.

Happy Simming,

Monnie

Rack Rig: Rosewill RSV-L4000 | Koolance ERM-3K3UC | Xeon E5-1680 v2 @ 4.9ghz w/EK Monoblock | Asus Rampage IV Black Edition | 64GB 2133mhz | SLI TitanXP w/ EK Waterblocks | 2x Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB | Seasonic 1000w Titanium | Windows 10 Pro 64bit | TM Warthog HOTAS w/40cm Extension | MFG Crosswind Rudders | Obutto R3volution | HP Reverb

I did some testing to try to isolate the problem.

I'm using a TM Warthog, which I suspect is a common factor.

I used the Hornet for testing as it's a simpler test to replicate, using a custom mission, with no wind.

When both throttles are used and coupled power inputs produce significant roll.

When one throttle is used to control both engines no roll is produced.

Note even when using one throttle RPM is not always symmetrical.

I have tried a curve of 30, which seems to reduce the effect to a more manageable level, but roll still occurs.

I will try to replicate the test with the A-10, but I suspect this is the problem with the aircraft for some users.

Edited by supanova

The A-10 appears stable when the VV is centered on the zero pitch line. Below the line it rolls right, and above it rolls left. To avoid roll I have to constantly add and decrease pitch trim. No matter what I do with power and pitch trim the aircraft goes between the two states. The same is true whether I use one or both throttles.

I have to weigh in on team “nothing is wrong”. I have the warthog and am constantly trimming to the point its subconscious. I just flick the trim though, don’t hold it and wait foe the response. Just brush the tip of it lightly, wait and repeat.

Custom Pit 476 Recruiting

i9-12900KF, 32 GB DDR5, Gigabyte Aorus Z690 Master, Gigabyte RTX 2080 Ti, 1TB Sabrent Roket 4+ 2x750GB RAID-0, TrackIR 5 /w clip, CRG9 49” Curved Ultrawide Flight Display+15" Touchscreen+17" Gauges display, Thrustmaster Warthog+7.5cm, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, Streamdeck, Butt Kicker and pneumatic G-Seat

Forums Signature V4_500x100_20220716.png

Forums Signature V4_500x100_20221002.png

Thanks for the replies guys. I have to wonder though, those of you who say that there's no problem, do you fly any other modules? I'm asking since for example the F-18 is so much better.

If the real A-10C actually has a bad trim system then fine. Then we can maybe view it as a feature. Otherwise I would love to see the same trim functionality as the F-18.

After more research it appears the A-10 has a particularly bad trim system, which is apparently a joke even among A-10 pilots, and we're also the recipient of the punchline.

The joke I've heard is that if you need to maneuver to defeat AAA in the real A-10, just let go of the stick for a few seconds. :D Apparently the real one was a bit of a handful too.

I believe this was mentioned in William Smallwood's book "Flying the A-10 in the Gulf War", but it might have been a different source.

Edited by NoJoe