F/A-18C Paint Schemes Wishlist / Requests Thread

frixon28

didnt read the whole thread but i have a nearly finished version of the new VFC-12 livery... some details on the bottom side are not ready but these are just minor fixes... will offer it when F/A-18 is out... or maybe for the AI jets in the next weeks

30287614091_5b0a43dc56_o.png

28519740004_900df64b4e_o.png

29141609065_6c15a57eae_o.png

i also did a fictional skin of that for the F-5 (maybe ED had put this ingame now... i dont know it exactly cause i didnt played DCS since the skinning contest for the F-5... but its available in the downloads section for sure)

30488266135_15c4c8cc4d_o.png

greetings steve

• Like 1

Will current F/A-18 skins work on the new model?

Sorry Current Texture Sets will not work on DCS:F/A-18C Due to it being a new 3D External model.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

I'd like to see a RAAF paint scheme, although it would be fictional, because IRL we dont have the C model

• Like 1

Specs: i7-7700, 16GB DDR4, GTX 970, win 10 x64, TM HOTAS warthog.

Modules: F-5, M-2000C, FC3, Mustang, Spitfire, Mig-15, Combined Arms, Black Shark.

For me the skins need to come from ED. I'm not one for putting in the effort to install half-assed skins (user skins don't look ever look good) from user files that no one but me is going to see anyway.

If you think that User skins don't reach the same amount of work and quality as ED's you are wrong, in my opinion.

This thread still makes a lot of sense to me, as skinners that are using the same tools as ED to create skins, can view all the available skins and make those that weren't implemented on the official release.

Edited by Texac

For me the skins need to come from ED. I'm not one for putting in the effort to install half-assed skins (user skins don't look ever look good) from user files that no one but me is going to see anyway.

It's pointless because Wags already stated what they're going to do (and by extension not do) 5 pages ago. Since Lock-On in 2003 I know that Wags has answered the question. That's that. He's not going to revisit it. It's pretty much the end of the discussion.

I just posted the pictures because they're cool.

Well everybody has an opinion...I personally think some User skins are fantastic. If you want to get em you can have em, if you dont like it then dont get it. Anyway those are cool pics of the NASA jets

VMFA-142 Flying Gator's last paint before disbanding

Nice skin, even if it's F/A-18A (+?)

Plane200_7929.jpg

VMFA9865.jpg

MainMenulogo.png.6e3b585a30c5c1ba684bc2d91f3e37f0.png

ACER Predator Orion 9000: W10H | Intel i9-7900X OC@4.5Ghz | 8x16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport | Sapphire GTX1080TI | Intel 900P 480GB | Intel 600P 256GB | HP EX950 1TB | Seagate Firecuda 2TB

ACER Predator XB281HK: 28" TN G-SYNC 4K@60hz

ThrustMaster Warthog Hotas, TPR, MFD Cougar Pack, HP Reverb Pro

• 1 month later...

CF-18 design changes

CF-18 showing the false canopy on the underside

The original CF-18 as delivered is largely identical to the F/A-18A and B models. 80 CF-18s, consisting of 62 single-seat and 18 dual-seat models. Many features that made the F/A-18 suitable for naval carrier operations were retained by the Canadian Forces, such as the robust landing gear, the arrest hook, and wing folding mechanisms.

The most visible difference between a CF-18 and a U.S. F-18 is the 0.6 Mcd night identification light. This spotlight is mounted in the gun loading door on the port side of the aircraft. Some CF-18s have the light temporarily removed, but the window is always in place. Also, the underside of the CF-18 features a painted "false canopy". This is intended to momentarily disorient and confuse an enemy in air-to-air combat. Subsequently, the U.S. Marine Corps Aviation and the Spanish Air Force F/A-18s also adopted this false canopy.

Upgrades

The need to upgrade the CF-18 was demonstrated during the Gulf War I deployment and during the 1998 Kosovo conflict as advances in technology had rendered some of the avionics on board the CF-18 obsolete and incompatible with NATO allies. In 2000, CF-18 upgrades became possible when the government increased the defence budget.

In 2001, the Incremental Modernization Project (IMP) was initiated. The project was broken into two phases over a period of eight years and was designed to improve air-to-air and air-to-ground combat capabilities, upgrade sensors and the defensive suite, and replace the datalinks and communications systems on board the CF-18 from the old F/A-18A and F/A-18B standard to the current F/A-18C and D standard. Boeing (merged with McDonnell Douglas) the primary contractor and L-3 Communications the primary subcontractor, was issued a contract for the modernization project starting in 2002. A total of 80 CF-18s, consisting of 62 single-seat and 18 dual-seat models were selected from the fleet for the upgrade program. The project is supposed to extend the life of the CF-18 until around 2017 to 2020.

Incremental Modernization Project Phase I

Replacement of the AN/APG-65 radar with the new AN/APG-73 radar, which has triple the processing speed and memory capacity, while also incorporating Terrain Following and Terrain Avoidance modes for low level ground attack missions. Furthermore, the new AN/APG-73 radar is also capable of guiding the modern AIM-120 AMRAAM medium range missile.

Addition of the AN/APX-111 Combined Interrogator and Transponder, otherwise known as an IFF (Identification Friend or Foe). The new IFF brings the CF-18 up to current NATO standards for combat identification.

Replacement of the radios with the new AN/ARC-210, RT-1556/ARC VHF/UHF Radio. This radio, capable of line-of-sight communications on VHF/UHF frequencies as well as HAVE QUICK, HAVE QUICK II, and SINCGARS waveforms resolved the issues of compatibility with allied forces, and are more resistant to jamming.

The Lockheed Martin Sniper XR on a CF-18

Replacement of the mission computers with the General Dynamics Advanced Information Systems AN/AYK-14 XN-8 mission computer with increased memory and processing capabilities.

Replacement of the Stores Management System with the Smiths Aerospace AN/AYQ-9 Stores Management System. This makes the CF-18 more compatible with the latest of precision guided munitions (PGMs) and furthermore adds the MIL-STD-1760 interface for use of the AIM-120 AMRAAM missile and the JDAM family of GPS-guided bombs.

Installation of a Global Positioning System/Inertial Navigation System (GPS/INS) capability, enhancing the CF-18's navigational capabilities.

Within the same time frame, other non-IMP upgrades include:

Installation of a new infrared sensor pod.

Replacement of the old cathode ray tube cockpit instrument panels with new flat paneled, full colour LCD displays from Litton Systems Canada (now L-3 Es Canada).

Addition of a new night vision imaging system.

Purchase of the AIM-120 AMRAAM medium-range missiles and other advanced air-to-air and air-to-ground munitions.

Application of a landing gear "get well" program to reduce corrosion and improve gear retraction.

Replacement of the existing CF-18 flight simulators with the Advanced Distributed Combat Training System.

The first completed "Phase I" CF-18 was delivered to the Canadian Forces on time in May 2003.[14] Final delivery of all "Phase I" CF-18s was done at a ceremony on 31 August 2006 at L-3 Communications in Mirabel, Quebec.

Incremental Modernization Project Phase II

A 425 Squadron CF-18A Hornet after undergoing IMP Phase II, distinguishable because of the IFF antenna on its nose.

Phase II of the CF-18 Incremental Modernization Project was awarded to Boeing on 22 February 2005. It consists of the following upgrades:

Addition of a Link 16 data net system to the aircraft, enhancing interoperability with major NATO allies.

Integration of the Joint Helmet Mounted Cueing System from Boeing, BAE Systems, DRDC and L-3 Communications MAS.

Addition of a crash survivable flight data recorder.

Upgrade of the electronic warfare suite.

Within the same time frame, other non-IMP upgrades include:

A fuselage Centre Barrel Replacement Project (for 40 of the upgraded aircraft).

An Air Combat Manoeuvring Instrumentation System.

An Integrated Electronic Warfare Support Station.

An Electronic Warfare Test Equipment Project.

The first completed "Phase II" CF-18 was delivered to the Canadian Forces on 20 August 2007, at a ceremony in Montreal. The total cost of the entire CF-18 Incremental Modernization Project and concurrent Hornet upgrades was expected to be around C$2.6 billion. The final upgraded aircraft was delivered in March 2010.

The total program cost for the CF-18 purchase and upgrade programs is approximately $11.5 billion including upgrades, in 2011 dollars. Additionally, the cost of maintenance for any 20-year period has been approximately $5 billion, or $250 million per year.

Wikipedia

Waiting to see the Canadian F-18 ;)

http://104thphoenix.com/ "Failure Is Not An Option" - Online Combat Simulation Since 1997

www.youtube.com/user/AntonioGR201 www.twitch.tv/104th_Tiger www.facebook.com/TIGER.GR.Tiger/

Discord: 104th_Tiger#1883

Come on, can't we have a fictional RAAF skin in there somewhere? RAAF F18's look really nice IMO. If you're going to give other countries their fictional skins, can the good ol' RAAF have one too?

20140818raaf8165233_008.jpg

RAAF_A21-30_McDonnell_Douglas_FA-18A_Hornet_on_display_at_Temora.jpg

f0205060_51163f57e3e52.jpg

20100805raaf8540652_0132.jpg

I fly DCS & Falcon BMS regularly. :pilotfly:

Safe flying to you! :joystick:

How about VFA-25? They are one of the most notable and historic Hornet Squadrons:D

d5193085e258ea31b053a32ad6a4e0c8.jpg

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | ASUS Crosshair Hero X670E | 64GB G Skill Trident Z DDR5 6000 | Nvidia RTX 4090 FE| Samsung EVO Plus 6 TB M.2 PCIe SSDs | TM Hornet Stick/WinWing Hornet Throttle and MIP | VPC T-50 Stick Base | TM TPR Rudder Pedals W/Damper | Varjo Aero/Pimax Crystal

VFA-25 Fist of the Fleet

Carrier Strike Group One(CSG-1) Discord

Now that we are asking for "fictional" liveries, I think this one looks nice. I never really liked the tigermeet liveries, but for me this one is an exception (though I might be a little biased).

McDonnell_Douglas_EF-18M_Hornet_%E2%80%98C.15-41_-_15-28%E2%80%99_%2827128046070%29.jpg

22407426635_eb66911768_b.jpg

Bonus: dirty hornet (a livery like this one would be nice too)

Spanish_Air_Force_EF-18_DD-SD-00-02833_cropped.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

A small request here, Would it be possible if you guys could add VFA-15 as a default livery? VFA-15 was one of the oldest squadrons, and was quite famous. I wouldn't see why not add it? Also on a side note it would be amazing if you guys did because it would complete all the Hornet Squadrons from Carrier Air Wing Eight!

Salute!

7gFgoeH.jpg

SCtd1jM.jpg

Edited by KSilva

I am working on a RCAF super high definition skin. However most of the markings are copyrighted and require a license to be used. I am hoping that ED is open to requesting such a license so that we could have a base RCAF theme to be able to create those awesome custom paint jobs.

Edited by BlizzardCA

• 4 weeks later...

p0AY5kf.jpg

AHzOp2U.jpg

• Like 1

MainMenulogo.png.6e3b585a30c5c1ba684bc2d91f3e37f0.png

ACER Predator Orion 9000: W10H | Intel i9-7900X OC@4.5Ghz | 8x16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport | Sapphire GTX1080TI | Intel 900P 480GB | Intel 600P 256GB | HP EX950 1TB | Seagate Firecuda 2TB

ACER Predator XB281HK: 28" TN G-SYNC 4K@60hz

ThrustMaster Warthog Hotas, TPR, MFD Cougar Pack, HP Reverb Pro