Valve Index Hands On

aileron

It should do the same as the system button on either of the Index Controllers ie: take you back to Steam VR UI

Thanks a lot, yes it does do that (at times) with a single press and a double press to get the camera up. Didn't even notice that button until this morning!

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That button is quite handy especially if your controllers are off or not being used.

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

That button is quite handy especially if your controllers are off or not being used.

I like the theory, but how is it possible to do anything with the controllers off when you get into the SteamVR menu?

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Yesterday, i found that the knob for eye relief setting has 2 modes, you can press it in and turn it for fine tuning.

i9 13900K @5.5GHz, Z790 Gigabyte Aorus Master, RTX4090 Waterforce, 64 GB DDR5 @5600, Pico 4, HOTAS & Rudder: all Virpil with Rhino FFB base made by VPforce, DCS: all modules

Yeah, I often take my headset off and use the mouse for SteamVR admin stuff.

Edit - never mind - deleted - should have just used the ignore function, rectified that now :)

Edited by Brixmis

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

Yesterday, i found that the knob for eye relief setting has 2 modes, you can press it in and turn it for fine tuning.

Well spotted, Alec!

If you have your desktop up in the menu (pull up desktop in menu while controllers are still on) you can use kbm or just mouse

Very useful tip. Thanks a lot!

So I just got done modifying my Vive Pro with the andi-SDE "Odyssey+" OLED panels and also added the non Fresnel GearVR lenses. Hardly any SDE, no god rays and the color/contrast beats out the Index.

I'm going to do more A/B comparison but I think the modified Vive Pro may be the better headset. Keeping the Index controllers though!

GPU: RTX 4090 - 3,000 MHz core / 12,000 MHz VRAM. 

CPU: 7950X3d - 5.2 GHz X3d, 5.8 GHz secondary / MB: ASUS Crosshair X670E Gene / RAM: G.Skill 48GB 6400 MHz

SSD: Intel Optane P5800X - 800GB

VR: Pimax Crystal

CONTROLS: VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Base / VPC Constellation ALPHA Prime Grip / VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle / TM Pendular Rudders

Guys, can you do me a favour and tell if you see either of these things in the ROV Test FOV and Resolution environment in SteamVR https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1359389601

1) look at the red ball on the shelf in the FOV section. Is it jumping around when you stare at it?

2) look at the section with the parallel vertical black and white bars. Does the horizontal line at the top sort of jump around as well?

Any input appreciated.

So I've spent quite a few hours playing games back and forth between my modded Vive Pro (Odyssey+ OLED panel transplant [same panels as Vive Pro but with anti-SDE layer] + GearVR non Fresnel lenses) and the Index and here is what I came up with:

Vive Pro Positive:

1. Black levels.

2. Contrast.

3. Colors.

4. Clarity - mainly due to GearVR lenses. Yay for non-Fresnel!

5. Basically no god-rays.

6. No ghosting/trailing of objects under movement (OLED needs no overdrive). This makes up a lot for the lower 90 Hz refresh rate.

7. No pixel inversion artifacts.

8. USB-C DAC can plug in right at the face side/top of the headset out of the way.

9. Anti-SDE layer on the OLED panels makes up for the worse pentile panel matrix.

10. Can't see the edges of the panels.

Vive Pro Negatives:

1. Slight "graininess" viewable from the anti-SDE layer on the Odyssey+ OLED's versus the stock Vive Pro OLED's without the layer.

2. Less FoV than the Index.

3. Slight barrel distortion that needs to be fixed with a .cfg edit.

4. Maybe slightly more eye fatigue, still trying to narrow this down but it's hard when switching back and forth between headsets as eye fatigue doesn't go away quickly.

Wash:

1. Index's speakers definitely kill the Vive Pro's but it is a wash for me due to still using high end IEM's. Even though they Index speakers are decent, they cannot compare to the IEM's.

2. Index is more comfortable than a stock Vive Pro, but the Vive Pro is comparable once you put aftermarket padding on it.

3. Sweet spot seem comparable and no real issue with either.

Index Positives:

1. Wider FoV.

2. No barrel or other world geometry issues.

3. Low SDE due to the full RGB panels instead of pentile.

4. 120/144Hz gives a slightly better motion smoothness.

5, Possible less eye fatigue.

Index Negatives:

1. Vertical lines during movement caused by LCD pixel inversion. Seriously annoying.

2. Clarity, static viewing is around modded Vive Pro levels but the vertical line issue makes everything look worse in motion.

3. Colors.

4. Contrast.

5. Black levels.

6. Obvious ghosting due to much slower LCD pixels.

7. God rays a-plenty.

8. USB DAC has to plug in the frunk, leading to some messy cable routing for IEM's.

9. The Fresnel lenses of the Index just don't give you that clarity of the modded Vive Pro.

10. Can see the "squaring off" of the edges of the panels.

It would be interesting to test the Index again if someone finds a non-Fresnel lens mod for it. Overall the modded Vive Pro OLED image "pop", non Fresnel lens clarity and no movement anomalies like the Index's vertical lines make it a fairly clear winner for me. LCD just can't compete with OLED and clear lenses.

GPU: RTX 4090 - 3,000 MHz core / 12,000 MHz VRAM. 

CPU: 7950X3d - 5.2 GHz X3d, 5.8 GHz secondary / MB: ASUS Crosshair X670E Gene / RAM: G.Skill 48GB 6400 MHz

SSD: Intel Optane P5800X - 800GB

VR: Pimax Crystal

CONTROLS: VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Base / VPC Constellation ALPHA Prime Grip / VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle / TM Pendular Rudders

Fascinating how different people can have such different perceptions when looking at the same piece of kit. (I mean that as a general comment not just in relation to the above.)

A Windows reinstall did the trick to get the Index working, reinstalling DCS now :)

I had to do that to get my Rift S to be recognized. What a PITA. lol

Ark

------------------

Windows 10 Pro x64

9900K @ 5ghz

Gigabyte Aorus Master Z390

32GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB CAS 14

EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Ultra XC2

256gb Samsung 869 Pro (Boot Drive)

1TB - Samsung 970 EVO Plus

Seasoninc 1000w Titanium Ultra PSU

34" ASUS PG348

Fascinating how different people can have such different perceptions when looking at the same piece of kit. (I mean that as a general comment not just in relation to the above.)

Yeah, you tend to see that alot when getting opinions on anything "visual display" like. Some people are much more aware of certain things (refresh rate being a classic example) also some people are impressed with certain things, while not caring about others. For example if you showed a RiftS to someone, and then a CV1 they would probably immediately comment on SDE being worse, but colors being better. But if they only had the S, they wouldn't really have a point of reference.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Guys, can you do me a favour and tell if you see either of these things in the ROV Test FOV and Resolution environment in SteamVR https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1359389601

1) look at the red ball on the shelf in the FOV section. Is it jumping around when you stare at it?

2) look at the section with the parallel vertical black and white bars. Does the horizontal line at the top sort of jump around as well?

Any input appreciated.

I just tested it and I don't see this but I can see why this can happen in your case. Three possibilities.

1. IPD isn't set correctly so you see split images jumping back and forth, especially if you do not have a dominant eye. You can close one eye and open while looking at that spot to test, and this is why I won't buy headsets without manual IPD adjustment because for me it is crucial to get this type of optimal settings for my own use.

2. IPD is set correctly but you have different PDs between left and right side. In medicine, we actually use left PD and right PD (measured from nose bridge) since a lot of people don't have complete facial symmetry (I'm an MD), your left and right PD may not be the same. You can have PDs measured by your eye doctor or at glasses shops. The way to correct this unfortunately is to manually shift your headset in horizontal position to try to compensate, as there is no headsets out there that allow separate PD adjustments.

3. IPD is set correctly and your LPD and RPD is the same, but your eyes orientation is off axis (for example, one eye socket is slightly higher than the other). This can be compensated by rotating your headset either clockwise or counter-clockwise while looking at that particular spot until the two images merge.

That particular scene is an excellent environment to test VR headsets, as it can tell you a lot about your own vision and how to wear your headset optimally in order to achieve perfect focus.

Edited by Supmua

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

I just tested it and I don't see this but I can see why this can happen in your case. Three possibilities.

1. IPD isn't set correctly so you see split images jumping back and forth, especially if you do not have a dominant eye. You can close one eye and open while looking at that spot to test, and this is why I won't buy headsets without manual IPD adjustment because for me it is crucial to get this type of optimal settings for my own use.

2. IPD is set correctly but you have different PDs between left and right side. In medicine, we actually use left PD and right PD (measured from nose bridge) since a lot of people don't have complete facial symmetry (I'm an MD), your left and right PD may not be the same. You can have PDs measured by your eye doctor or at glasses shops. The way to correct this unfortunately is to manually shift your headset in horizontal position to try to compensate, as there is no headsets out there that allow separate PD adjustments.

3. IPD is set correctly and your LPD and RPD is the same, but your eyes orientation is off axis (for example, one eye socket is slightly higher than the other). This can be compensated by rotating your headset either clockwise or counter-clockwise while looking at that particular spot until the two images merge.

That particular scene is an excellent environment to test VR headsets, as it can tell you a lot about your own vision and how to wear your headset optimally in order to achieve perfect focus.

Thanks for that. Interesting theories! However, I have the IPD correctly set as per my optician value, but more importantly I don’t get this issue on my Vive Pro with the same IPD set.

If you don’t see these 2 effects, what SS are you running in SteamVR?

Yes, that environment is incredibly useful for testing VR headsets.

Returned the Index after side by side comparisons with Rift S. It’s just not worth it imo

2080Ti FTW3 Ultra - G.Skill RJ 32GB (16x2) DDR4 3200 - Ryzen 2700X 4.2Ghz OC - Corsair H100i Pro - Samsung 970 EVO M.2 2TB - TMW HOTAS w Delta Sim - F/A-18C grip - 10cm Sahaj - TrackIR 5 Pro - Rift CV1 - MFG CWind - BuddyFox UFC - DSD RK II - Cougar MFDs w/ LCDs - Foxx Mounts - VPC MongoosT-50CM base

- Maps: NTTR, Persian Gulf, Normandy

- Modules: FC3, F-14A/B, F/A-18C, AV-8B, A-10C, F-16C, F-86, KA-50, P-51D, WWII assets, and [insert campaign name]

Dreaming of the F-15E / F-14D / Rhino

Valve Index Hands On

Imacken, go back to that scene and close one eye and see if the red ball or the lines still jump around. This has nothing to do with whether your vision is correctly measured or not. I assume you wear your glasses inside the headset?

If you are seeing things that jump around when they are not supposed to, that isn’t normal. And I doubt this is optical illusion or visual hallucination or problem with the LCD panel.

Edited by Supmua

Imacken, go back to that scene and close one eye and see if the red ball or the lines still jump around. This has nothing to do with whether your vision is correctly measured or not. I assume you wear your glasses inside the headset?

If you are seeing things that jump around when they are not supposed to, that isn’t normal. And I doubt this is optical illusion or visual hallucination or problem with the LCD panel.

Thanks again.

No difference if I close one eye, or if I am wearing glasses or not. Still the same jerky red ball.

I am also experiencing occasional jerky cockpits in some DCS modules.

Points to a hardware issue I would say.

Valve Index Hands On

It seems so. I don’t think this problem has ever been reported, but I also doubt most people would bother to test their headsets the way you did.

One Q though, do you see this across diff frequency settings? 144 vs 120 vs 90 Hz.

Another possibility that I could think of is tracking issue. That could cause images to shift around. Maybe change the lighthouse positioning and see.

Edited by Supmua

Happens regardless of frequency and SS values.

It's bad. I mean I'm not talking about a little jerkiness, that red ball on the vertical FOV section jerks around half the shelf! In fact if I look for long enough, the markings on the side in the vertical scale start jerking as well.

i think with the audio issue I am experiencing, i.e. left ear cuts out/reduces volume if I tilt the headset to adjust the angle it sits at, I am going to ask for an exchange.

I have also experience a black screen cut out 3 or 4 times in the last few days.

Valve Index Hands On

Yeah that headset is no good I’m afraid. Definitely ask for a replacement or refund. Don’t settle for anything less than perfect for that kind of money.

EDIT: my SS for SteamVR Home is 200%

Edited by Supmua

Okay - I'm currently doing a private beta test of firmware for Steam regarding the vertical lines issue - bad news is that so far it hasn't done much to improve things, good news is they seem determined to get it sorted out.

I'm still struggling to get a through-the-lens photo of the the issue. I tried with up to 1:2000 shutter speed, but that just came out dark - however, on the "sports" setting of an older and more basic DSLR, I seem to have captured it well enough - the problem being, as it was zoomed-in somewhat, it may just be passed off as regular SDE (and they may be right).

See for yourselves - this is the normal image:

PGclear.jpg

...and here is the one taken with the older camer, zoomed in a bit:

PG-lines1.jpg

Although it looks very similar to the vertical lines issue, you can see the horizontal lines, too, which makes me think it was just the SDE, which is visible, of course, but imho is better than anything I've seen in Oculus headset.

It's a shame I can't get this photography thing sussed - even with a video camera it misses the issue completely.

btw - another thing I've noticed is that it appears far worse when looking through the HUD glass (of any of the DCS aircraft).

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

Yeah that headset is no good I’m afraid. Definitely ask for a replacement or refund. Don’t settle for anything less than perfect for that kind of money.

EDIT: my SS for SteamVR Home is 200%

Yep, I sent them a message 2 or 3 days ago, and I haven't heard anything. What is the best method of contacting them regarding a replacement? I've done it through Steam account purchases options.

@Brixmis

I just saw your post and I have same problem with pixel inversion in left eye (Very disturbing, dropping you out of VR in the moment you notice it) I asked Steam support for information about fix they want to include in next steam vr beta but they behave like there is no problem. I told them about people on reddit that got message about fix that is underway but they answerd me only with quick sentence that all changes in steamvr are in changelog and could not provide me anyting more information... After that I decided not to cancel my refund process and I am both sad and angry about that. I like the headset and it would be great without this issue but they just do not want to confirm that the issue will be dealt with.

Now I read that the fix you are testing still does not sorted it out. I have 1,5 week to send it back and I am curious will they make Pixel Inversion dissapear in this period of time.

Edited by e0s888

Yep, I sent them a message 2 or 3 days ago, and I haven't heard anything. What is the best method of contacting them regarding a replacement? I've done it through Steam account purchases options.

Try this. It's a general Index FAQ/Support but there should be a direct link to customer support somewhere on that page.

https://help.steampowered.com/en/wizard/HelpWithValveIndex

Edited by Supmua