Which eyetracking device

TrackIR, hands down. Tobii only provides 3 degrees of freedom -- pitch, roll, and yaw. It can't detect if you move your head up/down, left/right, or forwards/backwards. TrackIR (or the open-source clones, like opentrack, that use a similar IR+markers approach) can read all six axes. In my experience, you'll end up wanting this.

I guess YES for the ir5.. have seen some vis, and all mentioned the disadvantage of the tobii eye tracker, which, in fact, is done NOT for gaming... only point which disappoints : why is the clip not standart with ir5.. another 40 bucks for a plastic clip seems a little bit too much :-)

The clip is standard with TIR. Unless you're talking about the Pro Clip, but the normal one is usally good enough.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

The clip is standard with TIR. Unless you're talking about the Pro Clip, but the normal one is usally good enough.

Actually it should be looked from a different perspective. Unless you're ok with wearing a hat that is required to attach the reflector clip - go with the Pro Clip.

At least personally I found it totally uncomfortable to use the standard clip as it requires to wear the baseball cap with a headset on top of it. Not even mentioning the necessity to ware the cap at home during a summer time :)

Another point is that TIR with Pro Clip is much more precise and less jerky.

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

Actually it should be looked from a different perspective. Unless you're ok with wearing a hat that is required to attach the reflector clip - go with the Pro Clip.

At least personally I found it totally uncomfortable to use the standard clip as it requires to wear the baseball cap with a headset on top of it. Not even mentioning the necessity to ware the cap at home during a summer time :)

Another point is that TIR with Pro Clip is much more precise and less jerky.

Well, I just taped the Clip onto my headset, so no cap needed.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Well, I just taped the Clip onto my headset, so no cap needed.

I also tried but this hasn't been exactly an "elegant" solution and it did make the TIR to be even more jerky especially in a higher head turn angles.

My point is that out of the box, track clip is just a flawn concept. I wouldn't mind if a similar, passive reflector device would be included but designed in a way that would work with and be easielly attached to the headset. Forcing the user to apply a rubber band or duct tape solution is never a good thing.

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

After testing DCS i can say right now : without trackIR5 or other devices this sim/game is absolutely only half playable. i notice in dogfights the lack of " information " : hell, where are the bandits... so even long before a new hots, stick, paffles , throttle i will get the trackir.. cause that is ESSENTIAL i would say

What is a "paffle"? :)

My controls & seat

Main controls: , BRD-N v4 Flightstick (Kreml C5 controller), TM Warthog Throttle (Kreml F3 controller), BRD-F2 Restyling Bf-109 Pedals w. damper, TrackIR5, Gametrix KW-908 (integrated into RAV4 seat)

Stick grips:

Thrustmaster Warthog

Thrustmaster Cougar (x2)

Thrustmaster F-16 FLCS

BRD KG13

Standby controls:

BRD-M2 Mi-8 Pedals (Ruddermaster controller)

BRD-N v3 Flightstick w. exch. grip upgrade (Kreml C5 controller)

Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle

Pilot seat

The one that has not been made yet but uses these chips by AdHawk Microsystems instead of cameras.

They are tiny (just a few mm), very low power req, way less computational overhead and have a 1000hz polling rate. http://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-invests-4.6m-adhawk-eye-tracking,35737.html

Edited by Thadiun Okona

I use TrackNoIR. TIR 5 was around $150.00 the last time I checked. I'm a craftsman so a 30 bone DIY vs. a new TIR 5 unit was a no brainer.

I have a 3 IR LED box plastered to the side of my Logitech G930 with velcro that is plugged into the wall. ( I did think twice before I plugged it in the first time! ) The camera is a PS3 Eye cam with a chunk of 3.5" floppy disk behind the lens to filter out everything but infrared.

Honestly, I feel that it is sub-standard to TIR 5. Make no mistake, my unit works at 120 FPS, but TrackNoIR is one step shy of the TIR 5 level. So my advice to you, if you're serious, is to purchase TIR 5. Or whatever TIR doesn't require batteries to be replaced. Why no batteries? Because sometimes, 3 hours in the pit isn't enuf and it sucks having to quit "smoting your foes on the mountain side" to fix a peripheral.

Gigabyte Tech. 990FXA-UD3, AMD FX-8350 8 Core, 16 Gig RAM @ 2200 Mhz, Radeon X480, Oculus Rift

TrackIR works very well, especially when paired with LED lights. Do not use the TrackIR Pro lights, they're very fragile and overly expensive.

Only problem is if you wear eyeglasses, sometimes when you turn your head the lenses reflecting light can cause errant signals.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

TrackIR works very well, especially when paired with LED lights. Do not use the TrackIR Pro lights, they're very fragile and overly expensive.

Only problem is if you wear eyeglasses, sometimes when you turn your head the lenses reflecting light can cause errant signals.

I use TrackNoIR. TIR 5 was around $150.00 the last time I checked. I'm a craftsman so a 30 bone DIY vs. a new TIR 5 unit was a no brainer.

I have a 3 IR LED box plastered to the side of my Logitech G930 with velcro that is plugged into the wall. ( I did think twice before I plugged it in the first time! ) The camera is a PS3 Eye cam with a chunk of 3.5" floppy disk behind the lens to filter out everything but infrared.

Honestly, I feel that it is sub-standard to TIR 5. Make no mistake, my unit works at 120 FPS, but TrackNoIR is one step shy of the TIR 5 level. So my advice to you, if you're serious, is to purchase TIR 5. Or whatever TIR doesn't require batteries to be replaced. Why no batteries? Because sometimes, 3 hours in the pit isn't enuf and it sucks having to quit "smoting your foes on the mountain side" to fix a peripheral.

The subject is eye tracking, not head tracking

The subject is eye tracking, not head tracking

no the subject is a new guy to the sim who does not understand head tracking and eye tracking, or the difference.

you really want both.....

not either...

the best headtracker is actually VR.. why my trackir is on the shelf.

but I would like eye tracking to, to replace the mouse.

My Rig: AM5 7950X, 32GB DDR5 6000, M2 SSD, EVGA 1080 Superclocked, Warthog Throttle and Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Oculus Rift.

OP head tracking controls your field of view.

eye tracking controls where you are looking within that field of view.

they are complementary not competing.

you cant look over your shoulder by moving your eyes. you need to move your head for that.

so head tracking is view related and eye tacking is input related (its the mouse)

so you want a head tracker first, and then maybe a eye tracker to replace the mouse later.

I used the trackir 5 for years but VR is way more natural. you need to learn the trackir 5 to use it correctly. create profiles for head movement.

in VR you just move your head as you would in real life.

My Rig: AM5 7950X, 32GB DDR5 6000, M2 SSD, EVGA 1080 Superclocked, Warthog Throttle and Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Oculus Rift.

no the subject is a new guy to the sim who does not understand head tracking and eye tracking, or the difference.

you really want both.....

not either...

the best headtracker is actually VR.. why my trackir is on the shelf.

but I would like eye tracking to, to replace the mouse.

Same, my TrackIR is getting dusty now too. I don't care much about mouse control in VR (gimmie functioning hand tracking, tia) but I badly want eye tracking cause it will lead to foveated rendering so our 'normal' gaming computers of today will be able to run VR headsets of tomorrow, since performance is the main blocker there.

Those new tiny scanning beam chips turns current (camera based) approaches on their head and makes the incorporation of really good (cheap/effective/low overhead/tiny/light) eye tracking a matter of time.