Changes in 1.5.4

First and foremost: very good update overall ED! I am really impressed and enjoy it a lot!

It is now possible to control the aircraft to higher AoA then it was possible before and I love the new sounds the slats cause! I always was frustrated how the ac got a complete pos to handle when winging over. The stall buffeting and wing breakout happened quite early on, the wing breakout was hard to control and felt like a hard scripted limit. Now it seems like I would expect a slatted ac to handle, evolving loss of aileron control and a docile wing drop. The roll moment (torque, P-factor, etc) seems to have increased a bit overall, which seems reasonable for a 1850 HP monster. The pilot model looks lovely and I will be using it from now on. The sharper reticule is also a much welcomed change. Very impressed ED! Good job!

There are two things left I wish ED could improve on till final release though! :thumbup:

First of all, the shaking when firing the MGs. It is of the same intensity as the "pneumatic hammer" MK 108, which seems unreasonable as the moving mass of the MK 108 breech is about the same as the total mass of a MG 131! :D I really dont expect any shaking of a > 3 ton aircraft when two fuselage mounted 13 mm are being fired. Please correct me if I am wrong!

Second thing being the dreaded smudges on the cockpit glass. I have been flying the 51 a lot lately and there are no annoying smudges on the cockpit glass, but instead a very slight homogenous dirt film. I personally find the dirt smudges really distracting and would rather like it similar to the 51 or even better completely removed. I think a bit of dirt close to the frame adds to immersion, but these smudges in the middle of the windshield are completely unnecessary. :smilewink:

Edited by rel4y
  • Like 1

Cougar, CH and Saitek PnP hall sensor kits + shift registers: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=220916

Shapeways store for DIY flight simming equipment and repair: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/rel4y-diy-joystick-flight-simming

Nice to hear about that changes, sounds very good :beer:. I have to give a try ASAP.

Second thing being the dreaded smudges on the cockpit glass. I have been flying the 51 a lot lately and there are no annoying smudges on the cockpit glass, but instead a very slight homogenous dirt film. I personally find the dirt smudges really distracting and would rather like it similar to the 51 or even better completely removed. I think a bit of dirt close to the frame adds to immersion, but these smudges in the middle of the windshield are completely unnecessary. :smilewink:
I know what you mean and sometimes that kind of features can be annoying, but 109 armoured windscreen was a really thick glass tending to have those kind of spots, stains and so, not to mention it isn't even fully transparent but always showing a kind of tint due to glass thickness. You can see that even in preserved examples. Anyway I don't know if something has changed for better or for worst since last patch.

S!

Edited by Ala13_ManOWar
  • Like 1

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

..+1 to both;)...agree, good update overall, very happy so far. good job ED:thumbup:

P-51, 190-D9, 109-K4, Spitfire MK IX, Normandy, and everything else:joystick:

i7 4770K, 4.3ghz, 32gb ram, Windows-10 Pro, Z87 Exstreme4, Corsair 850w psu, Samsung Evo 1T SSD & 250 SSD, Titan-X 12gb OC, Asus ROG Swift 27"/1440p/144hz/1ms monitor, Trackir 5, TM Warthog & 10cm extension, Saitek TPM, MFG crosswind pedals

Wow, just flew it, it feels more realistic IMO right now (remembers me a bit more of the 109s in the IL2 series a bit now)

the plane looks to be less affected by AoA.

But honestly, Poor P51s...

PC Specs: RTX 2070 (8GB) + I5-9600K + 32GB RAM.

Stuff for the sim: Thrustmaster T16000M HOTAS + TFRP Rudder pedals, Track IR5.

Modules: FC3, A10C, F/A-18C, F16C, F14A/B, MiG-21Bis, AJS-37, F5E, F86F-35, M2000C, Ka-50, P51D, Bf-109K4, Fw-190D9, Spitfire LF Mk IX, L39, CA.

Maps: Persian Gulf, NTTR, Normandy 1944 + WWII Assets Pack.

Campaigns: A10C:The Enemy Within.

Hey, I feel like it's pretty much impossible to wing stall the plane now (or at least it's to hard) and the plane seens to be able to maintain 21 AoA turns with ease (without flaps), this part feels odd to me

PC Specs: RTX 2070 (8GB) + I5-9600K + 32GB RAM.

Stuff for the sim: Thrustmaster T16000M HOTAS + TFRP Rudder pedals, Track IR5.

Modules: FC3, A10C, F/A-18C, F16C, F14A/B, MiG-21Bis, AJS-37, F5E, F86F-35, M2000C, Ka-50, P51D, Bf-109K4, Fw-190D9, Spitfire LF Mk IX, L39, CA.

Maps: Persian Gulf, NTTR, Normandy 1944 + WWII Assets Pack.

Campaigns: A10C:The Enemy Within.

Wow, just flew it, it feels more realistic IMO right now (remembers me a bit more of the 109s in the IL2 series a bit now)
:cry: :cry: :cry: That's not being realistic at all…

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

Hey, I feel like it's pretty much impossible to wing stall the plane now (or at least it's to hard) and the plane seens to be able to maintain 21 AoA turns with ease (without flaps), this part feels odd to me

I only tried the Dogfight singleplayer quick mission but I could stall it easily, without flaps too. Didn't feel much different to the last time I flew it months ago.

You guys sure the new patch didn't put the easy flight option inadvertently on or something?

This, lol.

Well, SOMETHING has been adjusted somewhere, as the pitch & roll oscillations during spins are different to what they used to be. Slightly different slots behaviour I presume. Cannot comment on turning performance, as I only do easy tourist-flying with this plane anyway :).

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Well you can now go over the 18° AoA hard limit as it was before, but the speed loss is crazy. You need to be aware of your energy state. Thats pretty much what you read about the 109s: for a short amount of time you can turn tight with slats deployed and trade speed for angles, keep doing it and you are a sitting duck.

Edited by rel4y

Cougar, CH and Saitek PnP hall sensor kits + shift registers: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=220916

Shapeways store for DIY flight simming equipment and repair: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/rel4y-diy-joystick-flight-simming

You guys sure the new patch didn't put the easy flight option inadvertently on or something?

This was the first thing I checked in the new 109.:joystick:

Well you can now go over the 18° AoA hard limit as it was before, but the speed loss is crazy. You need to be aware of your energy state. Thats pretty much what you read about the 109s: for a short amount of time you can turn tight with slats deployed and trade speed for angles, keep doing it and you are a sitting duck.

The sustained turn at 300km/h is impressive, though. After flying it more I think it shaved at least 1.0 seconds from its time to complete a 360 degree sustained turn. If you get below 300km/h IAS the engine is too much for the little airframe, but I might change my opinion if they get ffb working again in the 109.

Edited by gavagai

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

From my testing I dont see you can sustain turns above 18° AoA even with MW, riding the stall in 1.5.3 was also at about 18° AoA.

So I would say sustained turn rate should not have changed much but instantaneous turn rate improved quite a bit. Its hard to judge now, as I dont want to revert back to 1.5.3 just to test the turn time. Subjectively I feel the sustained rate may have improved somewhat but its hard to put in numbers.

At 300 kph sustained the ac is already very unstable. I suggest optimal turn speed thus to be higher, probably upwards of 330 kph. I dont think you even can sustain 18° AoA for several turns tbh.

Edited by rel4y

We can test with 2.0, but have to make sure it's the same altitude.

------------

Tested at 500m with 100% fuel. I got about 0.5 seconds difference for a sustained turn (average over many circles). With 1.5.4 it's very tricky to maintain a sustained turn to the left, so my tests were to the right.

2.0 = 19.0s

1.5.4 = 18.5s

Edited by gavagai

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

We can test with 2.0, but have to make sure it's the same altitude.

------------

Tested at 500m with 100% fuel. I got about 0.5 seconds difference for a sustained turn (average over many circles). With 1.5.4 it's very tricky to maintain a sustained turn to the left, so my tests were to the right.

2.0 = 19.0s

1.5.4 = 18.5s

Can you test P51 too? Maybe the physics engine changed a bit.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]In 21st century there is only war and ponies.

My experience: Jane's attack squadron, IL2 for couple of years, War Thunder and DCS.

My channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyAXX9rAX_Sqdc0IKJuv6dA

Another thing I noticed is the powder smoke of the guns has been increased to a somewhat excessive level. Especially if you first fire the MGs and then the cannon the particle shading is bugged. Try it out for yourself and enjoy the epilepsy! :( Sometimes I get sound stutters firing all three guns simultaneously as well.

Edited by rel4y

The original 109K-4 had so much gun smoke you couldn't see the target after tapping the trigger.:lol:

From reading pilot reviews of the 109s there shouldn't be any smoke or flash visible at speed. When the aircraft was stopped there was visible flashes but no pilot (from what I've read) mentioned there being visible smoke as well when the aircraft fired it's guns in a stopped position.

Also the lack of pre-stall buffeting in this patch is probably a mistake. Reading pilot reviews, the 109 tended to give good warning before a stall of the aircraft and this aspect will probably be adjusted in the future.

Edited by ShadowFrost

I suspect some of the FM changes are based on Klaus Plasas notes, who has experience with several G models of the Flugmuseum Messerschmidt. If you are looking for credible present day information on the 109, these guys are the way to go. http://www.flugmuseum-messerschmitt.de/messerschmitt/flugzeug/me109-g10/index.html

The G models are said to have virtually no buffeting, gentle stall characteristics and easy recovery. These attributes are probably mostly due to the slats allowing some aileron control and lateral stability even after most of the wing has stalled. The complete absence of buffeting seems a little weird though. In another thread a while ago someone had posted a really nice NACA study film about slats.

Edited by rel4y

In my first 1.5.4 flight I had the feeling that I needed more left aileron & rudder to fly straight at 400 - 500 km/h. Fortunately we can now ground-trim rudder and aileron under Options/Special. I set both to about -5 and now I find that it's easier to fly straight line compared to 1.5.3. This helps with gunnery.

Another improvement relates to axis control of the flaps. I like to use this to avoid overshooting when the Mustang slows down on me. Under 1.5.3 this was tricky as the flaps would "fall asleep" half way to the set position and I had to move the slider to re-activate them. Also the flaps tended to lock in extended position and then I could not retract them. Both problems have disappeared so this works very well for me now. PS: I use the left throttle lever for flaps.

• Like 1

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

the plane looks to be less affected by AoA.

But honestly, Poor P51s...

New flight model or not, nothing's stopping me from annihilating those k4s. Just like in il2 1946 lol.