Introducing the VPC MongoosT-50

Cyph3r

Thank you, Vladinsky

What do you mean with " with the VPC base you get an extra axis on top of that " ?!

I9 12900k@ 5 GHz | 32 GB DDR4 | Asus ROG  Strix Z690-A Gaming Wifi d4| RTX 3090 | 6 TB SSD + 8 TB HDD | 4K Samsung Q90R 55" | VKB MK III PRO L | Virpil Throttle MONGOOST-50 | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR5

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just picked mine up from the post office. It's going to Manila for use with my cockpit build rig, so I'm not sure I can give it much of a run just yet, as I really have no way to attach it to anything, though I'm sure I'll find a way to give it a quick run somehow.

A couple of quick observations...

-Nicely packed, everything seems to have come through unscathed. Though it does look like a customs agent had a look at it somewhere, I'm pretty good at spotting repackaged stuff.

-Grip - not bad at all, feels very light, seeing as I am used tot he Warthog, but it feels comfy, well made, and I like the feel of the buttons. The button positioning also seems fairly nice, though I know I'll be spending 2 or 3 days getting the muscle memory re-trained. The analog lever seems to go all the way tot he stick, so not sure where it starts and stops feeling pressure, but I can't test this until I plug it in, obviously. I would have preferred a metal lever, but the plastic one used feels nice, and also fairly solid from my quick tests.

-The plastic grip is actually a blessing at the moment, as it is winter here, and the nights can get a touch chilly. Wrapping my hands around the metal warthog grip can be a little uncomfortable for the first minute or so, while the heat form my hand eventually warms it up. Nic esuch issue with the Mongoos. It's a a very nice feeling stick int he hand.

-The base is a tad lighter than expect (not a bad thing) though I have not opened it up yet.

-My quick "move the stick around" test reveals it's a touch lighter than my Warthog, though it feels a little... "grindy"? Like a *really* fine sandpaper,. as though the cams are not quite perfectly smooth or something - but there is no stiction at all, unlike my Warthog.. This coming from someone who regularly has to use "feel" to get things done for work, so I may just very sensitive to the slightest little thing, though I'll be swapping out the cams for the soft centre ones to see how the feel changes.

-Shipping was quick, it actually arrived a few days ago, but I had not been to my PO box as I was not expecting it to turn up until next week. I was there to pick up a i7 6700K I bought off someone a couple of days back - nice surprise!

-Button quality feels to be excellent. The presses feel sharp and tactile. The Warthog buttons often feel very stiff and hard to press, sometimes even not actually registered despite feeling like you have pressed properly. Ever button press felt positive and light on the VPC stick.

Overall, I'm quite happy thus far, I'm looking forward to actually plugging it in and making it go!

Z...

Edited by Barefoot Bandit

So I had a couple of hours now to play with the base, here are some notes:

- My base came without the extra springs. I actually only got 1x red (hard) and 1x white (soft).

- Pitch cam is hard to put in place. The whole process is fairly quick and straight forward, it's just properly aligning pitch cam takes some force and time.

- I did not try default cams as I really wanted no center cam (3 dots). Unfortunately my no center cams are messed up. After installing them and trying the joystick, my first impression was to go and throw it out - there were control problem near the center. Remembering someone complain about surface problems on their spare cams, I decided to install soft center cams (4 dots) to see how things would change. Put it all back together and it was a night and day difference - T50 is definitely on par with a well tuned Warthog, but has adjustability that TM does not.

- Adjusting spring tension allows to adjust the feel of the joystick near the center/mid travel point of gimbal. Joystick remains tight near the edges no matter how you adjust your springs - it's a gradual build up and is far superior to TM where tension was constant through the whole travel of gimbal.

I'll try to post more tomorrow on my current setup and the table mount.

Edited by mx22

I have some questions about this joystick, guys ( owners) Please help me

How many buttons are, in total? How is the quality? Are the buttons loud, quiet?

If i order it, do I have to order the base, too, or it's possible to use some other brands base?

Thank you in advance

Here's a list of the functions available on the VPC MongoosT-50 Grip:

• 1 x Dual-stage Trigger
  • 1 x Folding Trigger
  • 5 x Buttons
  • 3 x 4-way Hats
  • 1 x 2-position Switch
  • 1 x Analog Brake Lever

They are OMRON switches, so very high quality and have nice tactile feedback. Not loud, but not silent either.

You can use the VPC MongoosT-50 Grip on the TM Warthog base, but you'll lose the axis functionality on the brake lever and it will report as a button press.

Just picked mine up from the post office. It's going to Manila for use with my cockpit build rig, so I'm not sure I can give it much of a run just yet, as I really have no way to attach it to anything, though I'm sure I'll find a way to give it a quick run somehow.

A couple of quick observations...

-Nicely packed, everything seems to have come through unscathed. Though it does look like a customs agent had a look at it somewhere, I'm pretty good at spotting repackaged stuff.

-Grip - not bad at all, feels very light, seeing as I am used tot he Warthog, but it feels comfy, well made, and I like the feel of the buttons. The button positioning also seems fairly nice, though I know I'll be spending 2 or 3 days getting the muscle memory re-trained. The analog lever seems to go all the way tot he stick, so not sure where it starts and stops feeling pressure, but I can't test this until I plug it in, obviously. I would have preferred a metal lever, but the plastic one used feels nice, and also fairly solid from my quick tests.

-The plastic grip is actually a blessing at the moment, as it is winter here, and the nights can get a touch chilly. Wrapping my hands around the metal warthog grip can be a little uncomfortable for the first minute or so, while the heat form my hand eventually warms it up. Nic esuch issue with the Mongoos. It's a a very nice feeling stick int he hand.

-The base is a tad lighter than expect (not a bad thing) though I have not opened it up yet.

-My quick "move the stick around" test reveals it's a touch lighter than my Warthog, though it feels a little... "grindy"? Like a *really* fine sandpaper,. as though the cams are not quite perfectly smooth or something - but there is no stiction at all, unlike my Warthog.. This coming from someone who regularly has to use "feel" to get things done for work, so I may just very sensitive to the slightest little thing, though I'll be swapping out the cams for the soft centre ones to see how the feel changes.

-Shipping was quick, it actually arrived a few days ago, but I had not been to my PO box as I was not expecting it to turn up until next week. I was there to pick up a i7 6700K I bought off someone a couple of days back - nice surprise!

-Button quality feels to be excellent. The presses feel sharp and tactile. The Warthog buttons often feel very stiff and hard to press, sometimes even not actually registered despite feeling like you have pressed properly. Ever button press felt positive and light on the VPC stick.

Overall, I'm quite happy thus far, I'm looking forward to actually plugging it in and making it go!

Z...

We're glad to hear you're liking it so far!

Regarding the "grindy" cams, as per our last announcement, we can send you out a new set of cams to resolve this! If you can email sale@virpil.com referencing the cams and your order number, I'll get this sorted ASAP :thumbup:

For the time being if you use 800 -> 1000 -> 1200 grit wet and dry sandpaper you can smooth them out easily by hand until you get your new set!

So I had a couple of hours now to play with the base, here are some notes:

- My base came without the extra springs. I actually only got 1x red (hard) and 1x white (soft).

- Pitch cam is hard to put in place. The whole process is fairly quick and straight forward, it's just properly aligning pitch cam takes some force and time.

- I did not try default cams as I really wanted no center cam (3 dots). Unfortunately my no center cams are messed up. After installing them and trying the joystick, my first impression was to go and throw it out - there were control problem near the center. Remembering someone complain about surface problems on their spare cams, I decided to install soft center cams (4 dots) to see how things would change. Put it all back together and it was a night and day difference - T50 is definitely on par with a well tuned Warthog, but has adjustability that TM does not.

- Adjusting spring tension allows to adjust the feel of the joystick near the center/mid travel point of gimbal. Joystick remains tight near the edges no matter how you adjust your springs - it's a gradual build up and is far superior to TM where tension was constant through the whole travel of gimbal.

I'll try to post more tomorrow on my current setup and the table mount.

I'm sorry you're missing your extra springs, that's very odd. I'll contact you directly to resolve this.

I do believe the 3 dot cams is the soft center and the 4 dot cams is the no-center! As per our last announcement, we've been made aware that some of the cams have issues, we've got a new batch from the factory and we will send out new sets to anyone having problems. Can you email sale@virpil.com referencing the cams and your order number and I'll get this sorted out!

Edited by Cyph3r

► Website: www.virpil.com // ► Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/VirPilControls // ► Twitter: https://twitter.com/VirPilControls

For support please email support@virpil.com to open a ticket!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'm sorry for the off topic question : if i'd buy this, could i use the pedals for flight sim, also ?

https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-941-000045-G27-Racing-Wheel/dp/B001NT9TK4

Thank you

I9 12900k@ 5 GHz | 32 GB DDR4 | Asus ROG  Strix Z690-A Gaming Wifi d4| RTX 3090 | 6 TB SSD + 8 TB HDD | 4K Samsung Q90R 55" | VKB MK III PRO L | Virpil Throttle MONGOOST-50 | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR5

I'm sorry for the off topic question : if i'd buy this, could i use the pedals for flight sim, also ?

https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-941-000045-G27-Racing-Wheel/dp/B001NT9TK4

Thank you

Price: $965.00? Much too expensive. :smartass:

In general driving pedals can work as rudders, but I wouldn't do it.

Windows 10 64bit, Intel i9-9900@5Ghz, 32 Gig RAM, MSI RTX 3080 TI, 2 TB SSD, 43" 2160p@1440p monitor.

We're glad to hear you're liking it so far!

Regarding the "grindy" cams, as per our last announcement, we can send you out a new set of cams to resolve this! If you can email sale@virpil.com referencing the cams and your order number, I'll get this sorted ASAP :thumbup:

For the time being if you use 800 -> 1000 -> 1200 grit wet and dry sandpaper you can smooth them out easily by hand until you get your new set!

Thanks for that, I'll happily get in touch re the cams, though I'll give the sandpaper thing a go, too. :thumbup:

Though, currently, my biggest issue is finding a way to attach it to my chair, so I can give it a test run! I may have to buy a few more bits and bobs from the hardware store than just sandpaper!

Z...

I do believe the 3 dot cams is the soft center and the 4 dot cams is the no-center! As per our last announcement, we've been made aware that some of the cams have issues, we've got a new batch from the factory and we will send out new sets to anyone having problems. Can you email sale@virpil.com referencing the cams and your order number and I'll get this sorted out!

What is installed in the base?

I have two of the three dots and two of the four dots as my extra cams.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

What is installed in the base?

I have two of the three dots and two of the four dots as my extra cams.

Pre-installed to the base is the 1 Dot (hard-center) cams. :)

► Website: www.virpil.com // ► Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/VirPilControls // ► Twitter: https://twitter.com/VirPilControls

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You certainly could use them for flight sims, it's just not ideal. You obviously don't get the rudder's back and forth movement, instead you are relying on two pedals independent axes to generate rudder action for you.

CH used to produce USB rudder pedals (non pro) that were basically two pedals, each with its own, independent axis - similar to driving pedals I used to own them and used them for years and years for flying - eventually I just worn them out to a point where I threw them out and went and bought CH Pro pedals - it was very hard to re-teach myself to a completely different rudder function.

PS. Not sure why LG G27 wheel is so expensive. I was looking at driving wheels not too long ago and it looked like many people consider them inferior to either TM or Fanatec wheels and you can get TM T300 wheel/pedals combo for around $500 if I'm not mistaken.

P.PS. you probably should open a new thread if you want to discuss driving vs flying pedals...

PS. Not sure why LG G27 wheel is so expensive. I was looking at driving wheels not too long ago and it looked like many people consider them inferior to either TM or Fanatec wheels and you can get TM T300 wheel/pedals combo for around $500 if I'm not mistaken.

Likely because third party seller trying to make some serious cash on a particular model that is not offered any longer...

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Pre-installed to the base is the 1 Dot (hard-center) cams. :)

Gotcha thanks, hoping I can just use the installed ones with the extensions so don't have to worry with changing them out. Good to have all those options available though.

Don B

Gotcha thanks, hoping I can just use the installed ones with the extensions so don't have to worry with changing them out. Good to have all those options available though.

It's completely down to personal preference! We know a lot of users who have stuck with the hard center cams, but others who really dislike the feel of them and have moved to the soft/no center cams.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Got her all set up now. Hopefully not too much longer, should get to spend some quality time with it over the next three to four days... everything checking out great in windows, looking smooth!

Edited by dburne

Don B

Got her all set up now. Hopefully not too much longer, should get to spend some quality time with it over the next three to four days... everything checking out great in windows, looking smooth!

You should definitely take the base apart and try different cams/springs - otherwise you do not know what you are missing on. Being able to adjust the feel of the joystick is IMO the biggest advantage of T50 over Warthog. It's fairly easy and straight forward, can't really mess it up. The only 'trouble' spot is putting new pitch cam in place, but it goes in with a bit of elbow grease.

You should definitely take the base apart and try different cams/springs - otherwise you do not know what you are missing on. Being able to adjust the feel of the joystick is IMO the biggest advantage of T50 over Warthog. It's fairly easy and straight forward, can't really mess it up. The only 'trouble' spot is putting new pitch cam in place, but it goes in with a bit of elbow grease.

Yeah I am going to be giving that a try, will probably opt for softer center feel cam , but going to wait on my replacement cams as the ones I got have the ridges in them, so don't want to try it with those. Will wait and do all of that tweaking at one time.

Don B

What about the software / drivers, for VPC MongoosT-50 ?

And the compatibility flight sims ??

Thank you

What about the software / drivers, for VPC MongoosT-50 ?

And the compatibility flight sims ??

Thank you

No drivers or software are required. It's completely plug and plug. However we will be offering a configuration utility in the near future.

Of course, the VPC MongoosT-50 is compatible with any sim that can use USB controllers.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Cyph3r, excuse me, but i don't understand exactly.

If i want, for example, to assign a button for " brake / gears " how am I going to to this ?

Lets's say, DCS - M2000C

I just open the M2000 control menu, and i assign a VPC MongoosT-50 button to brake or gear, and that's it ??

Thank you

Cyph3r, excuse me, but i don't understand exactly.

If i want, for example, to assign a button for " brake / gears " how am I going to to this ?

Lets's say, DCS - M2000C

I just open the M2000 control menu, and i assign a VPC MongoosT-50 button to brake or gear, and that's it ??

Thank you

Absolutely spot on :thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

However we will be offering a configuration utility in the near future.

When is this utility due to be available and what will it's capabilities be? Will it use a scripting language like the Cougar or Warthog?

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup: