Realsimulator F-18CGRH is available for preorder

I use the F16SGRH CE on my T-50CM2 base when flying the A-10C. It only gets power from the cable connection, it uses BLE to transfer all button presses.

If your computer doesn’t have BLE, you’d need to buy a dongle.

If you’re only going to use it with a FSSB R3L, you don’t need BLE.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DEFENSOR FORTIS

Spoiler

Systems: Falcon NW Talon: Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX 3090 FE; Falcon NW Mach V: Core i7 3930K @3.2GHz, 32GB DDR3, GTX 1080 FE

Cockpit: MonsterTech MTX F, 42" 4K TV, HP Reverb G2, Oculus Rift S, PointCTRL

Controls: RS F16SGRH CE, RS F18CGRH, VPC T-50CM2, VFX, WarBRD (Grips); VPC T-50CM2, RS FSSB R3L (Bases); Winwing F/A-18C, VPC T-50CM3, VPC T-50CM, TM Warthog, Cougar (Throttles); VPC ACE2 (Rudders)

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe you must go to CE for the BLE. IIRC it’s the main reason I got the CE, because I also wanted to use it with my Virpil base.

I see where your confusion lies, though. The Description page indicates only the CE has BLE, but the Technical data page indicates otherwise.

Edited by RogueSqdn

DEFENSOR FORTIS

Spoiler

Systems: Falcon NW Talon: Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX 3090 FE; Falcon NW Mach V: Core i7 3930K @3.2GHz, 32GB DDR3, GTX 1080 FE

Controls: RS F16SGRH CE, RS F18CGRH, VPC T-50CM2, VFX, WarBRD (Grips); VPC T-50CM2, RS FSSB R3L (Bases); Winwing F/A-18C, VPC T-50CM3, VPC T-50CM, TM Warthog, Cougar (Throttles); VPC ACE2 (Rudders)

How does this grip work on a Virpil base if you don't use BLE? It is said you need BLE to use all the extra stuff not included on TM grips (5-way buttons everywhere, etc...) but do you get at least the TM grip features without extra software?

Virpil base requires BLE because not all button presses are supported, and DX buttons are numbered differently (for example Weapon REL and Sensor switches have different DX input numbers). Warthog base is compatible but only supports 19 DX input + POV hat (base's limitation). This grip has 56 DX inputs per memory slots (there are eight of em) which is too many and that's why it is listed as 2 devices in Windows game controller as well as DCS setting.

This is a modern device, so you do not need to run any software in the background. Only during the initial setup and when you want to change the behavior of the device. Whatever setting you did is saved to the grip itself, there are both volatile and non-volatile memory.

Edited by Supmua

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

Is the non-CE version also BLE capable? From their site it's not clear if:

- Basic version has BLE for buttons and CE adds gyro axis to BLE

- Basic version has no BLE and requires the FSSD to be more than a piece of resin

The F-18 version doesn't have CE model, but has all the functions of the F-16 CE version (and that includes BLE). So it is a pretty good deal for a Realsim device since the CE version is twice the price. I only got to play with it a bit last night but it functions exactly like my F-16 CE grip. BT pairs right away and it has been on my Virpil WarBRD base since. I have lots to do this weekend, testing it with all my bases then I'll test the bluetooth axis input without bases, then all those fancy settings from the software including macros and voice/text overlay and so on. I do not expect any significant difference compared to my F-16 grip other than ergonomics and button placement.

Now I was told the current deal is for early adopters and Realsim fans, and there will be a price increase afterward as the functionality is on par with the collector's edition of the other grip.

Edited by Supmua

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

The pricing difference from the F16SGRH CE makes sense now when I remember the promo price bit for the F18CGRH.

I had heard the same thing also but forgotten about it.

DEFENSOR FORTIS

Spoiler

Realsimulator F-18CGRH First Impressions and General Info

Disclosure:

This is a loaned preproduction unit via the courtesy of Realsimulator’s CEO. I do not have any ties to the company. I’m not a professional reviewer or Youtuber looking for followers, not even a licensed pilot (interventional cardiologist IRL). I, however, do get to try out new things once in a while because Realsim loves receiving meaningful and constructive feedbacks from customers. The objective of this write up is to help clarify the functionality of this soon to be release device as well as my very own impressions of it during initial usage. My primary purpose is also to provide feedbacks to Realsim, rather than you guys. I do have my own unit coming in later this month or next month.

What is the F-18CGRH?

It is a replica of the F/A-18E grip with additional functionality. This is a step-down model of Realsim’s military version which is specifically designed for home use with more affordable pricing. CGRH stands for center grip right handed, they also provide side grip as well as left handed versions. Extra functionality includes BLE (Bluetooth low energy) which provides button as well as axis inputs, including extra switches (the buttons are 5-way switches). In short, the F-18CGRH is a modernized electronic joystick that is made for customers who demand a little more from their flightsim peripherals.

Look and feel:

The grip is made from high density resin with grainy painted texture. It is like a typical quality product that can be felt upon the very first moment you grab it, exuding sensation of sturdiness and durability. It also feels very comfortable in my hand, and shows no signs of slippage during aggressive manipulations. There are no sharp edges that can cause a cut or skin abrasions.

The bottom fixture is made from aeronautic-grade aluminum, which is light but durable enough to be used on Realsim’s force sensing base (FSSB R3L) which allows as much as 13 lbs of force input at maximum setting (but please don't use this setting if you want your device to last). There is a hole for M4 setscrew to help secure fixation on a base or rod. At the bottom, there is a PS/2 connector which is used to connect with other compatible bases (Thustmaster, Virpil, Brunner, and soon Winwing via adapter).

Of noted, there is no paddle switch as it is not attached to the grip in the real stick. There might be an add-on paddle in the future that would mimic the real thing, but detail is N/A at this time.

The grip has the exact same ergonomics but feels a lot lighter than my Thrustmaster F-18 grip, closer to my F-16SGRH grip. I do not have the exact weight but was told that it is very close to the real grip, a tad lighter due to aluminum fixation instead of steel.

Operations:

If you are familiar with the F-16SGRH grip, you’ll feel right at home with this one as it is basically a sibling version of it. But the ideal comparison would be vs the Thrustmaster F-18 grip, as it is more of a direct competition.

The buttons are slightly elongated compared to the Thrustmaster version, due to the use of 5-way switches. Resistance is less which makes it easier to operate. I have a harder time with the thumb buttons on my Thrustmaster, the center switch has to be depressed in a certain way or it would not register. Not so with this grip, everything registers easily and with less resistance, even the thumb switch left is a breeze to activate from neutral position. Trim, Weapon Release, and NWS switches are also equally a joy to operate with zero misclick during my own use. I use NWS Up switch as my makeshift paddle and it has been working quite well.

Button axis is also rotated according to the real device. Trim hat axis is rotated slightly to the right, while sensor control switch is to the left. The same rotation goes for the RECCE sideway switches which are not present in the real grip, for ease of use.

The trigger button has strong detention if you are not used to an F-18 grip, to prevent misfire. The 2nd trigger detention on this grip feels similar in strength compared to the Thrustmaster version which I am used to, but I was told that the released version will be twice as strong which will require the same operating force as the real military version.

There is a special dial underneath the Trim hat which allows access to 8 memory slots. These memory slots can be switched in real-time during gameplay, and it is instantaneous. Each slot stores behavioral changes to the grip, such as various inputs, macros, but also input sensitivities/tuning if you use FSSB R3L base or Bluetooth axis input. There is also voice and text overlay option which will notify you of changes when you flip the memory slot dial. There are 3 LED indicator lights on the top part of the grip which also serve the same purpose.

Since it has BLE, it can be used wirelessly provided that you have the means to power the device itself—either from a USB port via PC or battery pack, or via PS/2 connection from compatible bases.

Bluetooth axis input for pitch/roll/yaw works, however, not as precise as axis input from a good joystick base. This is apparent in maneuvers that require extreme precision, and the best stress test for this is AAR. People who are very skilled can probably get by, but for an average person such as myself it is better to rely on inputs from conventional bases from Realsim, Thrustmaster, Virpil, etc. for that particular maneuver.

For non-Realsim bases, only the TM Warthog is fully supported (in wired mode) with exact matching of DX button layout and you are limited to the reduced button input of a Thrustmaster’s grip (19 DX + POV hat switch). With the Bluetooth mode, however, you can take advantage of your base of choice for pitch/roll/yaw control while having a full access to 56 DX inputs per memory slot (a total of 448 DX inputs--This is fewer than the F-16SGRH grip due to an extra side button on that grip).

Due to numerous button inputs, it is listed as two separate devices (with the same name) in Windows Game Controller Settings as well as DCS settings. There is one potential issue that may arise from this. Due to limitations of Windows OS when it comes to assigning DX Input devices, the input settings for device 1 may sometimes be swapped with that of device 2 in DCS if you disconnect the device and reconnect. The solution is to swap the bindings between the two devices, or disconnect/reconnect until you get the correct input response.

Real World Usage:

I find it to be a better match for my setup than the Thrustmaster grip (my main base for this grip for now will be the Virpil WarBRD), due to lighter weight and extra buttons. I set up memory slot 2 for comm operation (Function key inputs). This can be activated by flipping memory slot dial or via a shift switch (I use Trigger 1). For my FSSB base, slot 2 is also used for 1:2 input sensitivity setting to help minimize overcorrections during AAR, formation flight, etc. I enjoy using voice overlay which speaks out the name of the current memory slot to remind me during gameplay every time the memory dial is changed.

I have come across no serious issues so far. But for Virpil fans, the button bindings of the Virpil base in DCS setting will need to be removed if you plan to use Bluetooth mode (due to conflicts in DX button number assignments).

Trim vs POV mode for the Trim switch. In Trim mode if you press diagonally both vertical and horizontal inputs get activated (for example, pressing the switch northwest will activate both trim down and left), so not ideal for DCS. In POV mode, nothing gets activated if you press diagonally and if you leave the diagonal switch input blank in DCS--This is ideal for DCS World so you don't accidentally trim in two directions at once.

I do plan to utilize some macros to quickly set up the aircraft during specific operations. For example, prepping DDIs for a certain TPOD zoom level, FOV, LMAV or LGB settings with one click; or prepping the aircraft for carrier vs ground landing, etc.

Conclusions:

This is a really good stick, it is very comfortable to operate, packed with so much functionality, and can be as complex as you want it to be. Am I blown away? Not really, but this is just about what I expect from a Realsimulator’s product. As a flighsim enthusiast I do, however, highly recommend this product especially at the current introductory price.

Addendum:

Made some changes and additions after conversing with Realsim's CEO about this device.

Added Trim VS POV mode.

64BAA72F-9D21-4723-BF5D-06969E7AED2E.jpeg.9151ce89adb71cd3f23b8c1dbc79410d.jpeg

75E368D5-F9F2-4AEC-921C-D8275BCEE366.jpeg.57ad6f4bde480ac3277a3977a0a3f288.jpeg

C69492A9-7AD6-4563-97DD-EDBA7F66C118.jpeg.964fe06dcc05543785206cbee1518550.jpeg

Edited by Supmua

Thank you very much for that detailed review, this is very promising. Although my TM Hornet grip works perfect and does not suffer any of the issues you named, i can't wait to lay my hands on it. Unlike you, i'm sure that i'll be blown away as this is my fist Realsim product. On your posted pictures it looks like as if the upper part has a slightly different shape than the TM grip. Just a few questions.. Did you try the different locking positions for side/center mounted use and how do they work out? Is it solid? And i wonder about the number of the DX buttons per slot, you and the Realsim homepage mentioned. 2 stage Trigger, NWS (5x), Weapon selector switch (5x), Pickle/Release (5x), SCS (5X), Recce (5x) and Trim hat (5x). That is 32 DX buttons to me, not 56. What am i missing?

Cheers

Phanteks EvolvX / Win 11 / i9 12900K / MSI Z690 Carbon / MSI Suprim RTX 3090 / 64GB G.Skill Trident Z  DDR5-6000 / 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB SATA SSD / 1TB SATA SSD / Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora Pro 360 / beQuiet StraightPower 1200W

RSEAT S1 / VPC T50 CM2 + 300mm extension + Realsimulator F18 CGRH / VPC WarBRD + TM Warthog grip / WinWing F/A-18 Super Taurus / 4x TM Cougar MFD / TM TPR / HP Reverb G2

Thank you very much for that detailed review, this is very promising. Although my TM Hornet grip works perfect and does not suffer any of the issues you named, i can't wait to lay my hands on it. Unlike you, i'm sure that i'll be blown away as this is my fist Realsim product. On your posted pictures it looks like as if the upper part has a slightly different shape than the TM grip. Just a few questions.. Did you try the different locking positions for side/center mounted use and how do they work out? Is it solid? And i wonder about the number of the DX buttons per slot, you and the Realsim homepage mentioned. 2 stage Trigger, NWS (5x), Weapon selector switch (5x), Pickle/Release (5x), SCS (5X), Recce (5x) and Trim hat (5x). That is 32 DX buttons to me, not 56. What am i missing?

Cheers

In the software you can turn on extra DX input. This can then be accessed by holding down the center switch and push out in 4 different directions, so add 4 extra DX button inputs to those 5 way switches. These are real DX inputs, and will show up in joy.cpl or DCS setting as separate DX buttons.

I will try various positionings and combinations this weekend. For now I'm just going through my typical usage to see if I can find any faults or glaring omissions that would require immediate attention.

Edited by Supmua

This test grip comes with a side mounted position, and I do not want to mess around with the test unit since it is not mine so I did not try to unscrew the M4 locks and switch things around. My understanding is that this just affects the orientation of the grip since most bases have a locked orientation upon mounting. So in the center mounted position the grip would be rotated more to the left, compared to the side mounted position.

Now this is not a problem on my Virpil base since I unscrewed the PS/2 connector's fixation to the base so it can move freely, this way I can rotate my grip after fixation however I want without changing anything on the grip. On the FSSB R3L and Warthog bases the fixation cannot be rotated (well it can if you use an extension tube), so grip orientation can be important.

The grip has no issue locking on to the Virpil WarBRD. I can get tight connection, no side to side twisting when moving it around aggressively.

I have no problem with AAR on FSSB R3L base with a little curve of 10% on pitch and roll, deadzone 2. I've been doing a ton of AAR to evaluate stability with various axis tune settings and combinations of center vs side mount, wired vs wireless, FSSB vs Warthog vs WarBRD bases, TM vs RS grips, etc--enough that I don't want to do another AAR for awhile. I have to say that I prefer this grip's ergonomics to my F-16SGRH the more I use it even though it has one less button, it just feels sturdier--perhaps because of the thickness in the midshaft area.

This grip has pronounced detention between trigger 1 and 2, a tad stronger than the Thrustmater one and the release version is even supposed to be twice as strong to replicate real thing. The F-16SGRH grip has near zero detention. Something to keep in mind.

Edited by Supmua

Guys, for the FSSB R3 Warthog Lightning model being used for DCS, are you uploading the MJF_FW_2 or the BMS_FW_2 software?

I am having issues with the stick freezing while in a bank turn on occasion which is very inconvenient while flying in tight formation.

Guys, for the FSSB R3 Warthog Lightning model being used for DCS, are you uploading the MJF_FW_2 or the BMS_FW_2 software?

I am having issues with the stick freezing while in a bank turn on occasion which is very inconvenient while flying in tight formation.

The BMS firmware is for Falcon BMS. We use MJF (modern jet fighter) for DCS. Make sure you flash and use the latest firmware (from June 30th 2020), if I remember correctly it should be version 4.0.0.1 for the R3L and 4.0.0.0 for the R3.

This test grip comes with a side mounted position, and I do not want to mess around with the test unit since it is not mine so I did not try to unscrew the M4 locks and switch things around. My understanding is that this just affects the orientation of the grip since most bases have a locked orientation upon mounting. So in the center mounted position the grip would be rotated more to the left, compared to the side mounted position.

Now this is not a problem on my Virpil base since I unscrewed the PS/2 connector's fixation to the base so it can move freely, this way I can rotate my grip after fixation however I want without changing anything on the grip. On the FSSB R3L and Warthog bases the fixation cannot be rotated (well it can if you use an extension tube), so grip orientation can be important.

The grip has no issue locking on to the Virpil WarBRD. I can get tight connection, no side to side twisting when moving it around aggressively.

I have no problem with AAR on FSSB R3L base with a little curve of 10% on pitch and roll, deadzone 2. I've been doing a ton of AAR to evaluate stability with various axis tune settings and combinations of center vs side mount, wired vs wireless, FSSB vs Warthog vs WarBRD bases, TM vs RS grips, etc--enough that I don't want to do another AAR for awhile. I have to say that I prefer this grip's ergonomics to my F-16SGRH the more I use it even though it has one less button, it just feels sturdier--perhaps because of the thickness in the midshaft area.

This grip has pronounced detention between trigger 1 and 2, a tad stronger than the Thrustmater one and the release version is even supposed to be twice as strong to replicate real thing. The F-16SGRH grip has near zero detention. Something to keep in mind.

That all sounds very good. A big thanks again for your time and effort. And for pushing me over the edge to get this grip. Now hopefully the 22nd of July comes fast :thumbup:

Phanteks EvolvX / Win 11 / i9 12900K / MSI Z690 Carbon / MSI Suprim RTX 3090 / 64GB G.Skill Trident Z  DDR5-6000 / 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB SATA SSD / 1TB SATA SSD / Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora Pro 360 / beQuiet StraightPower 1200W

RSEAT S1 / VPC T50 CM2 + 300mm extension + Realsimulator F18 CGRH / VPC WarBRD + TM Warthog grip / WinWing F/A-18 Super Taurus / 4x TM Cougar MFD / TM TPR / HP Reverb G2

F18 stick sounds awesome. I just hope for a paddle solution

It’s been a pleasure to use, and the weight is just perfect for my Virpil base. I’m still trying to find a new optimal axis tune setting in DCS since my original setting with the TM grip is no longer ideal due to weight reduction.

The paddle would have been nice (and it might still be coming as an add-on), but with all the extra switch inputs I don’t even think about it now. NWS up switch is used as paddle in my case, NWS down for Hook operation, NWS left/right for CRS setting, RECCE up/down/left/right for Fn1-4 comm input.

I set Trigger 1 as shift input. If you set the shift key via RS app you can still use it to activate a regular command on top of shift function (different from DCS setting where the shift button is no longer able to activate other commands).

Edited by Supmua

FYI, just recieved an EMail from Realsimulator, that we were only 3 persons requesting a center mount only version and that they will not poroduce it.

cheers

I got that same email the other day.

DEFENSOR FORTIS

Spoiler

The side-mounted version can be converted to center-mounted by unscrewing the two M4 locks then twist the grip counterclockwise into the center lock position and screw them in, so in a way it can do more.

There are 4 screw lock positions near the base of the stick. Two are used at a time for different mounting positions. The attached picture showed the location of the center-mounted screw positions (aft hole and right hole). For side-mounted, the forward hole and left hole are used instead.

ifjgapcppcackhpg.jpg.e70618b727557f41c8c5fa8c87575315.jpg

Edited by Supmua

Just got my shipping notice, a week early.

Edit: I just got my shipping notice from Monstertech also! The full cockpit and the F18CGRH are both arriving on Tuesday via DHL.

Edited by RogueSqdn

DEFENSOR FORTIS

Spoiler

Yeah I got shipment notification from DHL also. I thought it wouldn’t go out until next week but early is better than late, right. They still ship in that upscale-looking yet somewhat fragile wooden box btw.

Edited by Supmua

Yep got my F-16 grip in that box.

Just clarified with MT though: only the base frame is coming on Tuesday. The rest will be shipped in 6 packages on Monday, so I should get it by Thursday I would think.

I’m actually ok with this, it gives me time to get the base setup with my chair before adding the rest.

DEFENSOR FORTIS

Spoiler

Also got my DHL shipment notice today. Expected delivery is monday, can't wait as well.

Let me get this straight: they don't provide a paddle because the don't want to make the grip unrealistic, but they won't produce a center mount version when that is the only way the real grip was used? Poor logic in my opinion. But clearly they know their market because almost no one asked for the center mount version. But a lot of people would have loved a paddle solution.

I have the TM Hornet grip and the Winwing Hornet grip. They both have paddles. The Winwing grip has a lot of the features the Realsimulator version has plus the paddle. My problem is that I prefer the VKB base and have converted my TM Warthog and Hornet grips to use that base, so the Winwing grip that I like so much is useless. If I could mount the Realsimulator grip on my VKB base, it might be good solution. But it isn't designed for it, would require using the officially unsupported bluetooth interface, and would be missing the paddle. Presently, I fly center mount exclusively. My miniature Dachshund lays on a bed on my right at control console level while I am on the PC, leaving no room for a side mount stick. So, overall Realsimulator is not only one of the more expensive options, but isn't really supportive or optimized for my needs/preferences.

Now if they made a centermount force feedback stick that felt as good or better than my VKB base and added the rest of the hornet stick with the paddle beneath the grip instead of a simple extension, I would pay a lot for that :joystick:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]