Adjusting camera center in VR

TripRodriguez

Hello folks. This is a multi part question so bear with me...

First problem, the r-alt r-shift numpad keybinds don't seem to work to move my view around. Nothing happens. I really need to be able to move the view up and forward with keys or buttons. (center key Num5 works as it should).

Second, I'd really really like to permanently change the location that the center key (Num-5) moves my view to, especially in the Huey. As I said, I need the "center" to be several inches up and several inches forward from the default position. It's a real pain to have to redo it every time since I'm trying to align my real life switches and knobs with the ones in VR. Is there a way to permanently alter the center view location in an aircraft?

Thanks for any info,

Trip

Edited by TripRodriguez
  • Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Demo of my 6DOF Motion VR Sim:

Hello folks. This is a multi part question so bear with me...

First problem, the r-alt r-shift numpad keybinds don't seem to work to move my view around. Nothing happens. The only thing that works is Num-5 to center the view. Am I missing something? I have to perform gymnastics to get my view where I want it using just the Num-5. I really need to be able to move the view up and forward with keys or buttons.

For this first part of your question, you can assign VR-Re-center to a button on your HOTAS in the controller setup menu, same place you can assign VR-Zoom to a button.

Click on the Module listings and scroll all the way down to the UI Layer.

Note this is a global setting and not aircraft dependent.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

For this first part of your question, you can assign VR-Re-center to a button on your HOTAS

Apologies, I now see I worded the question poorly. I will edit the OP in addition to this response.

1) How do I move my VR view forward/back, up/down, and left/right with keys or buttons? R-alt + R-shift + Numpad keys does not do anything.

2) How do I save a new center position permanently so Num5 moves me to that position instead of the default?

Thanks for the response though dburne, totally my fault.

Edited by TripRodriguez

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Apologies, I now see I worded the question poorly. I will edit the OP in addition to this response.

1) How do I move my VR view forward/back, up/down, and left/right with keys or buttons? R-alt + R-shift + Numpad keys does not do anything.

2) How do I save a new center position permanently so Num5 moves me to that position instead of the default?

No problem, as far as what you are asking I have never quite been able to figure that one out either.

When I get into my plane, I just adjust my position and hit the VR Center button I have assigned on my joystick to get it where I want for that session.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

1) Personally I just re-map Cockpit Camera Move FWD, BACK etc from the View Cockpit options window to a different key or toggle switch in my pit. (Had an external numpad for a while so just set 8 as FWD, 2 as AFT etc.). But by saving a default seating position as per below I don't need to move my viewpoint in-game.

2) Users/name/Saved Games/DCS/Config/View - SnapViews.lua

Just edit the aircraft you want to move with Notepad++, this file stays the same after updates etc so no need to keep doing it (but good idea to have a backup copy).

e.g. My F-14 settings so my head is in the middle of the seat, not squashed back against the headrest.

},

[14] = {--default view - VR

viewAngle = 85.000000,--FOV

hAngle = 0.000000,

vAngle = 0.000000,

x_trans = 0.080000, -- +FWD -AFT

y_trans = 0.000000, -- +UP -DWN

z_trans = 0.000000,

rollAngle = 0.000000,

and my Huey settings..little bit up and fwd same as you (to match with 3D pilot body).

[14] = {--default view - VR

viewAngle = 60.000000,--FOV

hAngle = 0.000000,

vAngle = 0.000000,

x_trans = 0.100000, -- +FWD - AFT

y_trans = 0.010000, -- +UP -DWN

z_trans = 0.000000,

rollAngle = 0.000000,

Is handy also to zero out any wierd angles that you may have in the view due to saving a view with the default in-game save option.

Edited by VampireNZ

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I change my position by moving around in my chair then re centre the VR. Sometimes I feel like I'm sitting too far forward in the cockpit when I first get in an aircraft. So if I lean forward a bit and re centre VR then I can find the right spot.

Maybe give this a try if you don't do it already.

Thanks guys! VampireNZ that looks like exactly what I need. I didn't know the "cockpit camera move" were the correct bindings, and I will probably wind up doing it via the LUA myself.

Dr_Pain That's what I've always done in the past, I'm just getting tired of having to slide the seat back and hike myself up in the seat and stretch my neck to get my view right in the Huey. Especially since I have to center it over and over until I get the angle, height, left/right, and forward back juuuuust right to match up my simpit to the VR pit. I usually wind up centering the view every few seconds for a couple of minutes before I can actually fly so you can see where that would get old!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

There's absolutely no reason that this shouldn't be possible with the numpad and I use it regularly.

To move the cockpit view around, hold RCtrl + RShift, not RAlt + RShift.

Num* is head forward, Num/ is backward, and Num8 and Num2 will move the view up/down.

You save the view with RAlt + Num0.

Much easier than editing the lua manually.

• Thanks 1

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

I change my position by moving around in my chair then re centre the VR. Sometimes I feel like I'm sitting too far forward in the cockpit when I first get in an aircraft. So if I lean forward a bit and re centre VR then I can find the right spot.

Maybe give this a try if you don't do it already.

+1

The idea is to temporarily move your head in the opposite direction of where you want to be, and hit num pad 5.

When you return your real head in your normal position, your default view has changed in VR world.

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

@jojo This is the method I've been using but it is extremely unsatisfactory due to my very special use case.

@Boris It used to work for me a year or two ago exactly as you say, but did not work at all when I tried a few nights ago. I'm pretty sure I was using the correct modifier keys because I had the instructions (from this website) up on my monitor and was looking right at them but I'll try again. Maybe the post had the wrong modifier key listed or maybe my brain didn't manage to keep the instructions straight for the half second it took to put the HMD on and press them!

If it works ,I'll come admit it, if not I'll let you know it doesn't work in case someone is curious enough to troubleshoot.

Thanks!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...
@jojo This is the method I've been using but it is extremely unsatisfactory due to my very special use case.

@Boris It used to work for me a year or two ago exactly as you say, but did not work at all when I tried a few nights ago. I'm pretty sure I was using the correct modifier keys because I had the instructions (from this website) up on my monitor and was looking right at them but I'll try again. Maybe the post had the wrong modifier key listed or maybe my brain didn't manage to keep the instructions straight for the half second it took to put the HMD on and press them!

If it works ,I'll come admit it, if not I'll let you know it doesn't work in case someone is curious enough to troubleshoot.

Thanks!

It does not appear to be saving for me either - in the Spit.

Don B

...First problem, the r-alt r-shift numpad keybinds don't seem to work to move my view around. Nothing happens…

Trip

Hi , I had this issue once or twice when Rctrl+Rshift+numpad commands don't work for moving POV. It got solved just by pressing "0" on numpad, with the effect to "reset" the issue and then the combo commands work.

Maybe it's your issue (I don't know what triggers the issue BTW)

Hi , I had this issue once or twice when Rctrl+Rshift+numpad commands don't work for moving POV. It got solved just by pressing "0" on numpad, with the effect to "reset" the issue and then the combo commands work.

Maybe it's your issue (I don't know what triggers the issue BTW)

Sounds like and awesome tip! Man how did you figure that one out? It might be a few days before I get a chance to test it, I've got very important real life stuff to deal with ATM. If it works for me though, I'll definitely let you all know.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I have the same problem as the OP but only in the F18 and F5 any other plane np problem the keys work in all planes but the F18 and F5. This happened to me several months ago with an update but never have been able to figure it out

AMD RYZEN 7 2700 / 32GB / RTX2070 / 500GB M.2 with Windows and DCS / 2 - 500GB SSD / Rift S/ TM Warthog with F18 stick and Virpil WarBRD / Foxx Mounts/ MFG Crosswind rudders + 3 MFD's | Now enjoying VR with PointCTRL controllers + Gamematrix JetSeat

I have the same problem as the OP but only in the F18 and F5 any other plane np problem the keys work in all planes but the F18 and F5. This happened to me several months ago with an update but never have been able to figure it out

Did you try hitting numpad "0" to fix it as suggested in the post above? I haven't had time to test it yet myself, total chaos in my life right now which isn't super unusual! :joystick:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]