Another case of VR stutter / Ghosting

LithiumR

Yup. 2.5.3 is MUCH better performance-wise than 2.5.4 is. If it doesn't seem as good as you remember it, did you have the shaders mod installed before? It makes a HUGE difference in 2.5.3, and I found that running DCS with the default link that gets put on the desktop will always attempt to update to the latest version. Even when you deny the update, it still changes things, because the shaders mod ends up getting removed. Since finding that out, and not wanting to accidentally kill my 2.5.3 installation, I changed the link to point at the rundcs.exe file in the same directory, so now it doesn't try to update and the shaders mod stays intact. I agree with you about the anti-aliasing between the two versions. 2.5.4 does seem to have better anti-aliasing, but I think that's what's killing performance. Its like DCS is fighting with itself over anti-aliasing. I'm going to try forcing it completely off with the Nvidia settings and see if that makes a difference.

I've gone back to the shaders mod. Probably going to stay with it until someone can confirm things have improved 2.5.4 wise. Keep me posted!

------------

3080Ti, i5- 13600k 32GB  VIVE index, VKB peddals, HOTAS VPC MONGOOSE, WARTHOG throttle, BKicker,

Tried forcing anti-aliasing off, and it made no difference at all...except for the video quality being lower in DCS. I think I may have found the major cause of the ghosting/stuttering, low performance in 2.5.4 though. Since the F-14B came out this weekend, I decided to go ahead and download it, knowing that it only works in 2.5.4 and above. Wasn't crazy about the idea of downloading a new module, since the latest version of DCS seems to be broken. To my surprise, the F-14B performance was smooth as glass. But that was a quick-start mission, taking off from Nellis AFB. So, I tried putting the F-14B in the mission that has been giving me all the problems with the A-10C. Again, smooth as glass. So, I switched the aircraft back to the A-10C, and it was smooth as glass. What I didn't realize is that the A-10C I switched over to was the bare-bones A-10C, without the configuration, armament, and sensors I had on the original mission. It had nothing on the wings. So, I loaded up the original mission, and this time during my ramp start, I kept the TGP, Mavericks, and CICU off. Took off, and it was smooth as glass. Turned all the other stuff back on while mid-flight, and the performance became so awful again that it started making me feel sick. Turned all of those things back off, mid-flight, and everything smoothed out again. I have my cockpit displays all the way down at 256 in the settings, but I'm not entirely convinced its the display coming from the TGP. I think its the TGP itself being warmed up and active. The reason I say that is that when I was shutting things down, the last thing to get turned off was the TGP, and the stuttering finally went away again. Not sure about what aircraft you're flying, Wolf, but those are my findings with the A-10C. The TGP seems to have some sort of issue with 2.5.4.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

damn thing is, that I thought of that already... just reinstalled my hole machine yesterday and give it another try today. Strange -for me- that the CPU is only running at a load of 20%.

If it is the CPU, I am thinking of going to Intel, return the RTX 2080 and use my GTX 1070 again.

Is anyone here using AMD with VR?

I am using the Lenovo Explorer with Ryzen 2700. My system specs are in my signature. Using preset VR graphic settings and PD of 1.2, I generally get 45 fps flying around - lower on fields - more like 30 fps. I'm still playing around with Ryzen Master settings too. Lately I have been using its Game Mode, which disables 4 cores (leaving 4) and overclocking those to 3.6Ghz @1.325V. I'm not really keen to overclock and it hasn't made a huge difference that I can tell. I haven't tried MP yet - just flying around trying to learn the game and different aircraft.

My CPU is usually 13-30% utilized in game and the 1080 is pegged at 100%.

Edited by oboe

Ryzen 7 2700, MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC, 16GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR4-3200, 970 EVO 1TB SSD, eVGA GTX 1080 8GB ACX

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

MS is basically valves version of ASW motion smoothing.

We may be waiting a while for improvements, but we all want them.

I've gone back to version 2.53 and am getting much better performance. Still doesent seem as good as it was, but don't know if thats my imagination. At least now the same mission with MS on doesen't feel like I'm flying through liquid fabric. Does seem as if the graphics/aliasing are not quite as good as they were in 2.54 but again hard to know if thats my imagination! Maybe they got bumped up and degraded performance.

I think you'll drive yourself mad worrying about ghosting, its worse with ASW/MS on (though performance won't be as smooth) but I still get it some either way. It's just something I got used to to be honest and an unavoidable reality of VR/reprojection.

Hi, the point is, if i disable ASW when online, then I get judder at the Landscape (motionsickness). Just contacted DCS support a few days ago. Lets see if they respond.

Yesterday I flew at some kind of freeflightserver (online). It runs smooth for a few minutes. (only with ASW on). Suddenly I got horrible judder (with ASW on). I watched the load of GPU and CPU. Both are "chilled". Means CPU: 20% GPU: 56%.

So, it might be DCS, what causes all these troubles (if you are not at your rigs performancelimit).

Just tried IL2 BOS, which is doing better in VR, but I do not like the "sim".

THE REAL POINT IS: Whether I should return the Gforce RTX 2080 or not. It is not bringing THAT BOOST to VR.... :-(

Edited by mcdaniels

AMD Ryzen 7 2700X@ 4Ghz, 32GB RAM, SSD, Gforce RTX 2080 8GB.

one short update:

just tried a few things in the sim (offline gameplay) now, having oculus debug tool performance monitor running too. The Framerate is at stable 90FPS, suddenly goes to 45 (with ASW OFF!) although there is no change on the screen and jumps back to 90FPS. Most time it runs with 90FPS. So offline its ok for me!

If I go online framerate is jumping from 75 to 45, never reaching 90FPS when I am standing on the ground and I get those blurry pictures of the scenery when fast moving, doing a roll etc. Why this is only happening online -> NO IDEA! This might be no oculusproblem, this is for sure a DCS problem.

I wonder what rig you need to get this smooth, at the moment I feel it ridiculous and unplayable -> ONLINE!

Seems like MP is a resourcehog....

Best sim -> worst VR at the moment!

Edited by mcdaniels

Hi,

I am using a RTX 2080 coming from a Gforce GTX 1070. I had massive judder studder screentearing, especially online. Never reaching 90FPS (without ASW). With ASW I got ghosting when objects move fast.

Upgraded my GPU cause I thought the 1070 ist pretty often running at 100% load. BUT it did not help a bit. Online and offline -> nearly same troubles.

Overclocked my CPU and setted my RAM to the correct speed @ Bios.

Offline it gets a lot better (running without ASW)

Online -> same bad FPS drops, screen tearing,....

-- SOLUTION --

In the last instance I tried different NIC-drivers for my Intel NIC (original ones from the intelsite, not the one from the mainboardvendor).

Switched off IPv6 and QoS in the NIC-settings.

(unsure at the moment if it was the nicdriver, or the settings -> but it is running for me!)

Now running at 90FPS online

EDIT2: Not at the aerobatics server -> there the problem is still there!

Burning Skies is running at about 90FPS stable (did not do it before the "nicthing".

I am getting mad ...

AMD Ryzen 7 @ 4Ghz, 32GB RAM, SSD, Gforce RTX 2080 8GB.

Edited by mcdaniels

I got this ghosting/jittering a few days ago with my Rift. It had worked for several weeks before that without any issues. Then for no apparent reason it started to jitter. Not all the time but now and then.

I tried repairing my DCS installation. After that the problem went away (for now at least).

Mine is back to working great again now. Even without MS on (spitfire) vastly improved.

IADC. SLI is not worth wasting your money on, and besides raw GPU horsepower is not what will solve the problem.

------------

3080Ti, i5- 13600k 32GB  VIVE index, VKB peddals, HOTAS VPC MONGOOSE, WARTHOG throttle, BKicker,

Mine is back to working great again now. Even without MS on (spitfire) vastly improved.

IADC. SLI is not worth wasting your money on, and besides raw GPU horsepower is not what will solve the problem.

How you get it working great?!

Just using the latest Beta. It works great in most maps with plentiful planes either with MS or without. There are some maps where I still seem to get some horizon tracers/stuttering without MS, but it is definately an improvement.

------------

It wasn't the new open beta. I had changed terrain and graphics textures to low and had either forgotten or not realized. It is vastly better like this (in the past this had very little effect) cause on high its horribly stuttery. Without MS performance is still a long way from perfect but much better.

------------

So I just got the RTX 2070 and thought it was finaly time to get my oculus out of the closet. Ran into the same issue

One guy from my squadron explained me that it's the ASW turning off automaticaly, we don't know why.

There's a way to resolve this however, press left ctrl + Numpad 4 or Numpad 1

and there you go, simple fix but well hiden

So simply turning off ASW isn't it, cause if you are not constantly hitting 90fps, the scenery gets blurry and you will get screen tearing... and a headache... :-/

Overall bad performance for me at me AMD Ryzen 2700x @ 4.2 Ghz , 32 GB RAM nad Nvidia Gforce 2080 at lowest settings.

If I do an offline fight with about 8 planes on the screen, I will always drop to 45 FPS.

You can think what that mean, if playing online. Multiplayer is even worse, cause it is using much more ressources. Support told me that this is normal behavior.

Hope that ED gets this sorted some day. One issue might be that DCS is not running multithreaded and only on one core of the CPU...

They just announced that they found a fix for VR and that it showed 50% performance improvement: https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3869786&postcount=2333

But to be honest I have the same proc, 16gigs of ram @3600Mzh and a RTX2070 @1950Mhz and I have no issue running the high preset with 1.3 pixel density. I have smooth 45 fps

Did you manualy overclock your CPU at 4 Ghz ? Mine is on auto and goes to 4.35Ghz single core and 4.2Ghz on all cores, it's much better for DCS than manualy syncing cores

• 3 weeks later...

@ked: hi, no overclocking at all all running in automode.

Have got respond from support, which tells me that this kind of stuttering juddering is normal for DCS.

In which situation do you have smooth 45fps. It is depending on the situation in the sim.

For example at the aerobaticsserver I hardly hit 45fps, when running at burning skies it is much better. If I do a single mission with 8 spits and 8 me109, i get serious juddering as the battle rages....

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

2022 and this is still a problem. I can turn all the settings to LOW/OFF and I still get ghosting. To fix it I had to set pixel density to 0.7. Then game runs smoother and without ghosting. But I feel like PD is very important for good graphics. Running G2, R5 5600X, RX6900XT, 32GB RAM.

Afaik , the only means of eliminating ghosting is to run at native hz (no reprojection or motion smoothing) this is all-but impossible with the G2 at 90 hz , other than at high altitudes .

However , you can run the G2 at 60hz , which not only allows native hz  (except for airfields/supercarrier) but very considerable headroom for much higher eye-candy settings .

Some find flickering around the view edges unbearable , some say you acclimatise to it . Personally , i never saw it , and run 60 hz exclusively . Setting can be changed in Windows WMR menu .

As always in VR , it's a case of picking your poison 🙂

1 hour ago, joji said:

2022 and this is still a problem. I can turn all the settings to LOW/OFF and I still get ghosting. To fix it I had to set pixel density to 0.7. Then game runs smoother and without ghosting. But I feel like PD is very important for good graphics. Running G2, R5 5600X, RX6900XT, 32GB RAM.

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Based on the images at the beginning of the thread that doesn't look like a performance issue.  Are those images from the mirror?  Yikes.  

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

On 3/31/2022 at 4:22 PM, joji said:

2022 and this is still a problem. I can turn all the settings to LOW/OFF and I still get ghosting. To fix it I had to set pixel density to 0.7. Then game runs smoother and without ghosting.

Cockpit resolution would be HIIDEOUS then.  This I refuse to do:  I MUST have a clear cockpit or I wont fly VR.  Hell, even P3D works better in VR.  ED needs to fix this.

"You see, IronHand is my thing"

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.

On 3/31/2022 at 9:22 PM, joji said:

fwiw using a G2 and OpenXR with a low alt test flight I see ghosting in the trees while I'm looking to the sides when reprojection is off. When repro on they go past much more smoothly, however there is of course some standard reprojection artifacts in other places and conditions to contend with. Personally I like it more with the reprojection on for fast jets and off for helicopters because of the effect it has on the rotors. 

If you haven't already I'd suggest trying OpenXR with PD 1.0 as per all the instructions and see if motion reprojection helps you. 

When flying low over terrain and getting that nervous, juddery scenery that varies in severity is the main achilles heel of VR in DCS. This is basically what I tune to when testing as I find it sets me up well for everything else, it is not down to reprojection as reprojection will make this smoother when it the fps is over the base rate. I see reprojection artefacts mostly during F3 flybys and looking back at wing tips when doing rolls etc. 

In my experience of testing the judder scenery is a CPU issue as it gets worse with buildings over trees and ME objects over map objects. GPU centric tweaks don't help as much, so rather than reducing PD to something really low, try shadows on low and terrain shadows on flat, or reducing other CPU based settings.

Edited by Hoirtel

I had problems recently with beta SteamVR which cause crashing. After uninstall beta SVR and reinstall to stable version, DCS performed very poorly. Fortunately I backed up the steamvr config files and replacing the newly generated ones with those has brought DCS back to smooth performance. Maybe you have the same issue? Check my post about it.