Ship skill affects damage

Jester986

At the battle of midway carriers were lost to single hits from dive bombers. This can be attributed to unsafe storage of bombs and fuel and poor damge control. When we do Have a Pacific theatre I doubt we will have detailed damage models so I'd like to see the crew skill setting directly affecting the number of hit points a ship has. If we want a ship to have excellent luck and damage control set it veteran. If we want lucky shots and poor damge control set it to rookie.

+1 Good idea, but I imagine it'll be a long, long time before ED gets round to implementing an overhauled damage model for ships.

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

+1 Good idea, but I imagine it'll be a long, long time before ED gets round to implementing an overhauled damage model for ships.

Would that require an overhaul? Might need to make a variable global, but I don't see many other uses for 'skill' in ship handling. Coding, testing, time, effort, and energy? Of course, and that means something else doesn't get done, but if they've cracked that code open for something else why not add that as well?

Okay, a rookie somehow manages to hit a freighter with his frigate in the middle of the open ocean...or drives his battle group through a typhoon...but otherwise...

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I think the USS Stark and Moskva really show how much a crew's skill can keep a ship afloat.

The Stark managed to stay afloat despite getting hit by two Exocet missiles While the Moskva which had a lot more reserve buoyancy sank after getting hit by two Neptune missiles. I've heard that a lot of experts believe the fact the Stark didn't sink was due to the crew controling the damage. Also I believe the Taiho had somewhat minor damage but the crew failed to control it