Trying to make sense out of the Steam, BS & BS2 upgrade

ToWcH

Ok this really doesn't make any sense to me at all, Ive had a problem with this since the conception of the idea and I feel kind of burned.

What am I talking about you say?

Well I am talking about the route ED decided to take concern users who already own Blackshark 1 and wants to upgrade to Blackshark 2. I have a few annoying questions.

1. why is the upgrade more expensive than the original Blackshark? I mean Blackshark 1 contain most of the base files to start with.

2. Why didn't ED just bump users who had the BS1 to BS2 status, I mean all that's needed is just a new serial key. New serial key which is still given when BS2 upgrade is purchased anyway. Why the need for 2 installations, just too much work for something too easy anyway.

3. Maybe I am wrong here but with the introduction of DCS World isn't the installation files of both BS2 and BS2 upgrade identical? So why is the pricing different? I could understand if they were standalone games but as of right now they are not.

Proposal:

I propose that user with BS1 & BS2 upgrade should be given a full BS serial keys. I mean with my combined purchase of the regular BS when it first came out plus the upgrade, I think I have paid more than what anyone will pay to get BS2 full as of today.

Why am I flaming? I am flaming because I cant activate BS2 on steam :). I need it on steam, I NEED IT. Once you go steam, you never go back.

Regard of what happens, I am a proud ED customer. just purchased SU25 and A-10A on steam even though I have FC3 :) (I know, I am a Steam Whore like that). Waiting for Mi8 to come to Steam.

Cheers & Good job ED.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Regarding 1., 2. and 3. the answer can be roughly be summarized with the term "business decision".

On a more serious note ...

1. I payed 39.99 for BS1 back then in 2010 and 19.99 for BS2Upg (feb. 2012). Might be that it was on sale then.

Today BS2 costs 39.99, BS2Upg 29.99

... so, I don't really understand your question here ...?

2. It is not uncommon to sell subsequent new versions of a softwareproduct. You payed for WinXP, then again for Vista, once more for Win7 ... (no, I will skip Win8 ;P). The need for an install of the old BS1: DRM. Yeah, I admit, it is annoying.

3. Also not uncommon that new versions are sold cheaper than the original product. If the product significantly changes, often no upgrade for a discounted price is available.

70% off Black Shark 2 on Steam, why not buy it and save yourself all that upgrade hassle.

Windows 10 Home, Intel Core i7-9700K @ 4.6GHz, Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (8GB VRAM) on 34" LG curved monitor @ 3440x1440, 32GB RAM, TrackIR 3 (with Vector Expansion), Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Combat Pedals, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs.

This is why I haven't bought BS2. It really is just a DCS World compatibility update, like the A-10 got over it's course, but ED decided they can milk their users some more by charging 20$ for it. This is when they lost my good faith and now we see how it gets worse with them essentially repackaging Flaming Cliffs planes as "DLC"s.

Edited by Erdem

I understand a bit their decision... I just want that they''ll make us BS1+BS2 Upgrade users "full fledge citizens" and transform our serials in just one BS2.

2 of my friends gave up and bought BS2 again (granted when was on sale) but I think is a bit unfair to force users to buy 3rd time just to escape a hassle at installation.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

This is why I haven't bought BS2. It really is just a DCS World compatibility update, like the A-10 got over it's course, but ED decided they can milk their users some more by charging 20$ for it. This is when they lost my good faith and now we see how it gets worse with them essentially repackaging Flaming Cliffs planes as "DLC"s.

I couldn't disagree more. The DLC FC3 modules have been requested by the community and I'm very happy about it.

And most importantly, the aircraft in FC3 have only the names in common with the FC2 aircraft. ED have rebuilt them almost completely if not for some of the most basic radar code and features. AFM, 3D pits and many many new features making them more realistic than ever without going into the depth of the DCS series aircraft. Now they actually possess the features that the real aircraft have and been begged by the community for a long time.

Plus today they are cheaper than ever!

You don't have to buy any of this and continue happily ever after with your FC2.

My only gripe is the lack of bug fixes for BS2. Some minor ones were fixed in the latest patch though. I haven't bought the full version BS2 (I have the upgrade) because of this but for this price I might go for it. What I know is that the A-10A will be mine for sure! The prices are very tempting for more too but I'll see. :)

Edited by Griffin

I don`t get the Point here really..ED is a rather small Company..they want to earn Money..as every Company..that is Life...no Money..no ED..no DCS..as simple as that.. It`s like..you don`t get Windows 8 cheaper if you have owned Windows xp before..just my 2 Cent:music_whistling: You know..back in 2004 in bought the Original Lock On..did I get some benefit from that?! No..I paid the Full Price on FC3..and FC3 is just a "pimped" Version of Lock on..but I have not a Problem with that..

Edited by Lizzard

My Specs:

I don`t care..it is a Computer..a black one..

I too couldn't disagree with you more. BS2 is NOT just a compatibility upgrade. It had all new higher rez textures, upgrade from the old FC2 like rendering system to the newer one (current day DCS World), lots of avionics changes, the list goes on. I completely understand how ED came about with charging for the upgrade. A lot of work went into it. The fact they even gave us the option for an upgrade is a blessing. You could have always been forced to pay full price.

DCS: A10C Warthog JTAC coordinate entry training mission http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/99424/

DCS: Blackshark 2 interactive training missions http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=84612

I too couldn't disagree with you more. BS2 is NOT just a compatibility upgrade. It had all new higher rez textures, upgrade from the old FC2 like rendering system to the newer one (current day DCS World), lots of avionics changes, the list goes on. I completely understand how ED came about with charging for the upgrade. A lot of work went into it. The fact they even gave us the option for an upgrade is a blessing. You could have always been forced to pay full price.

I am thinking about upgrading to BS2 (well, buying the full standalone via Steam since it's cheaper), but one of the reasons I haven't yet is because I wasn't fully aware of what upgrades there were. You mention a few, and according to the DCS website "DCS: Black Shark 2" is a greatly improved version of the original "DCS: Black Shark" that brings many new features", but I haven't found a list of many new features. I'm sure they did some work to upgrade it, but is there a consolidated list out there?