Tarawa Ball

Jetguy06

I checked the pocket guide and couldn't find anything. How does the "ball" on the Tarawa island work? It seems like the only time the ball is aligned with the datum lines is when I'm nearly or completely wheels-down on the deck. How does this work? Thanks!!

Does it even work?

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

I'm also not so sure about its correct function, but yes, it works. Or at least, you see it and the yellow light moves.

I'd guess it shows you your correct height during transition from "hover next to the carrier with its speed" to "hover over the deck and touch down".

Steam user - Youtube

I am for quality over quantity in DCS modules

The Optical Landing System ("OLS") provides a visual reference for a 3 degree glideslope to a point 50 feet above above the boat's ramp. The one in-game appears to work as it should, although the coverage either side of the OLS center line seems a little wider than the 20 degrees it's meant to have.

93854371_LHAOLS.png.7a3e930907fdf5d46a1b61a5ad734023.png

(JTF-1) Yomo | 55th FS

JTF-1 Discord

Asus Prime Z370 MB // Intel i7 8086k @ 5GHz // 32GB DDR4 3200 // RTX 2080ti // Virpil FSSB3 Lighting, Cougar Throttle with USB mod, T-50 Base + Warthog HOTAS, custom collective // Thrustmaster TPR // Vipergear v2 ICP // 3xCougar MFDs // a bunch of DIY Button Boxes // Oculus Rift

The Optical Landing System ("OLS") provides a visual reference for a 3 degree glideslope to a point 50 feet above above the boat's ramp. The one in-game appears to work as it should, although the coverage either side of the OLS center line seems a little wider than the 20 degrees it's meant to have.

Makes sense. I'll try to get a quick trip around the boat sometime today or this evening and take some screenshots to show what I'm seeing/not seeing. I'll report back then.

Complicating matters is that the V/STOL OLS is only one part of a two-part system, the other being the Hover Position Indicator (HPI) which you're supposed to transition to use in close where the OLS becomes inaccurate.

The V/STOL OLS gets you close enough to visually ID the HPI, and then you use the HPI down to the deck. There is a position light on an armature that, when viewed against a grid of lights behind it, is used to depict your relative fore/aft position and altitude above the deck.

The HPI isn't modeled right now.

InkedLHA_LI.thumb.jpg.622c0888d3eb50a3bfc463644290f3a3.jpg

1290225493_ExpHPI.thumb.JPG.1c74461dc8414b8ef1b3f10e5047dd03.JPG

Edited by ChickenSim

Neat!

We should definitely get that.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

• 1 year later...