Am I waiting my time with the Stable version

Burt

Did I make the wrong move as a newbie to DCS when I was so eager to get started. I bought a new machine, keyboard, monitor ect. When I got everything in "except my Warthog" still waiting for it, I immediately downloaded the stable version because I had no idea what the open beta was. And now like 3 months later I'm only hearing it only works in the open beta. I have mods F18,F16,F14 and FC and all the maps except for Normandy. So back to my main concern here.

1. Should I sht can 2.5.5 stable version and just run the Open Beta? and transfer all my mods to it.

2. Does everything on the Radar System on the Hornet work as of today on the stable version? Like the SA display with the red spikes like i have seen on a youtube training videos this morning on the way to work. Yes I think about DCS all day long.

3. I have plenty on space to run both on the same drive or should I put the OB on another SSD drive.

Like I said I only have a limited time to practice due to my work schedule and I feel like I'm wasting my time with the stable version. Does anyone play multiplayer in the stable version or is this also a OB thing also. I understand what Open Beta purpose is now, but if everyone is on it.... why even have the stable version besides the OB crashing and still being able to play on the stable version.

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

If you have the space then you can happily install both and they exist alongside each other. You should even be able to copy your mapped controls from the stable to the OB by copying the Config folder from the stable saved games to the OB location.

I am running OB only so cannot tell you how all the features in the Hornet are. Most servers are running OB. There have been some performance issues in 2.5.6 OB but they have been improving

If you want to you can use the installer to switch between the OB and Stable versions. To make it easier in the long run I really recommend Skatezilla's graphical utility for managing DCS updates and running the programme (https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=160053)

If you want further help either post again here or drop me a PM (in case you don't know how to do this, click on my name to the left of the post and then send a private message)

Windows 11 Home ¦ Z790 AORUS Elite AX motherboard ¦ i7-13700K ¦ 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5 memory @ 5600MHz ¦ Samsung 990 Pro 1TB SSD for OS, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB SSD for DCS ¦ MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24GB ¦ Virpil WarBRD base with VFX grip, Thrustmaster A10c and F/A-18 grips ¦ VKB Gunfighter Mk4 and MCG Pro ¦ Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle ¦ VKB STECS Throttle ¦ Virpil TCS rotor base with Shark and AH-64D  grips ¦ MFG Crosswinds ¦ Total Controls Multi-Function Button Box ¦ Pimax Crystal

Normally I would recommend converting Stable into Beta (you have probably already found out it's possible as well). However, with 2.5.6 Open Beta being unusually buggy even for ED standards, IF you have enough space on your SSD drive(s), why not having both? As mentioned above, they can coexist on the same PC without any issues.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Re point 3, I have both on the same drive and there are no issues. If space is no problem add them both and use windows symbolic links to map the key folders in the second install to the relevant directories in your initial install (controller bindings, liveries, and missions) so you only have to maintain one set of files rather than two. This way you get to use all the new features of beta, but if there’s a bad beta update you just ignore it and play stable until it’s fixed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rig: i7-6850K, Sapphire 6900XT, 32GB RAM, Asus X99-Pro board.  Gear: VPC WarBRD/MongoosT-50 Stick, VPC MongoosMT-50 Throttle, VKB T-Rudders Mk.IV Pedals, HP Reverb G2.

If you have the space then you can happily install both and they exist alongside each other. You should even be able to copy your mapped controls from the stable to the OB by copying the Config folder from the stable saved games to the OB location.

I am running OB only so cannot tell you how all the features in the Hornet are. Most servers are running OB. There have been some performance issues in 2.5.6 OB but they have been improving

If you want to you can use the installer to switch between the OB and Stable versions. To make it easier in the long run I really recommend Skatezilla's graphical utility for managing DCS updates and running the programme (https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=160053)

If you want further help either post again here or drop me a PM (in case you don't know how to do this, click on my name to the left of the post and then send a private message)

I'm downloading the Open Beta right now at least I'll have on my rig. I'll figure out how to transfer my mods and terrian after I do some research. I really appreciate it hornblower793 I may take you up on it... Thx for all the help guys.

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

Wow that went good ! my mods and terrian are already in the OB... Coool !

Start Date April 2020 

One thing I did notice the audio sound is alot louder in open beta.

Start Date April 2020 

I was hesitant to install the open beta even though I had pre ordered the Super Carrier. Seeing all of the great videos on youtube convinced me to pull the trigger. I Downloaded and installed the OB on Thursday and I'm thrilled that I did, the improvements for the F-16, F-18 are mind blowing and of course the Super Carrier is great.

Yeah me too . I love all the missions in it too. Amazing sim !!!

Start Date April 2020 

Thx Cerdon ! It's not really a problem... I love it loud.

Start Date April 2020 

Just run the open beta, all the people that are complaining have never played dcs when it was actually a hot mess and the game would crash from just firing a 25mpu from the free to play plane.

Intel i9-9900K 32GB DDR4, RTX 2080tiftw3, Windows 10, 1tb 970 M2, TM Warthog, 4k 144hz HDR g-sync.

So Burt, can you tell me how big the Open Beta file was?

I may do the same as you, since I bought the Super Carrier and have the F16 too.

I'm sorry but I have no idea how big it is. The properties say its @ 2.07KB Size on disk 4.00 KB.

I hope this helps, I'm new at this stuff. But I do know you'll have to get the F18 and F14 to be able to play with the Super Carrier for what I've read. Go for it !!! it's well worth the money and help to support the team.

rgrt will, I'm just running OB for now. I like how it has alot more mission to practice with. And the Super Carrier is just an awesome piece of work... its beautiful !!! and I was surprise the my frame rates sitting on the deck are about 65 to 75 fps with mirrors disabled.

Start Date April 2020