...And That's How I Died

A2597

Going from the perspective of "We all have virtual war stories we want to share", but that many times things don't go to plan, I figured we could share some of the stories of when we didn't make it. (And possible lessons learned).

Or, if your into the whole Acronym of the internet trends.

"...And That's How I Died" (ATHID)

My latest entry:

Flying my first mission in the F-18. Been learning it for a couple months, but never tackled any of the included combat missions. Chose the last one on the list, Close Air Support, take out 50% of the advancing ground units. Enemy has SAM launchers, helicopters and a few planes.

I do a quick check of my armaments, fuel, systems and launch from the catapult. I see a few approaching planes at 4 o'clock, but then wind up being friendlies.

Proceeding on to way point 2, I double check my program for the cluster bombs I'm carrying, survey the battleground and set up my approch. I find a nice grouping of targets, and have a near perfect CCIP run. I fly in VR, so I look back and see the bomb hit perfectly, taking out 4 targets. I was banking to the left to both watch the fireworks and to ensure I didn't go too far into Red territory.

I look back forward to get ready to fly out and back in for another run, leveling off as I looked forward. As I looked forward I had just enough time to notice a trail of smoke to my right and as it dawned on me that it was a SAM I saw the missile. I swear it hit the canopy, I could make out the details of the missile before it blew up in my face.

...And That's How I Died.

In VR it was quite a jolt, not my first SAM hit, but first time I saw the missile practically hit me in the face. Happened so fast and I was so immersed that it took me a few moments to collect myself to give the mission another go.

Edited by A2597
Formatting

How about KTS? As in Kissing The SAM? Now I think I'm going to have to give that a shot! :) But dodging the SAM in VR is one of my favorite things! Flying while padlocked to the SAM and knowing where you are is such a cool feeling.

Edited by hansangb

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Almost always I am startled by a missile when hits me. This gives me a better thrill than any of those horror games. :D

I guess in your situation you got hit by a heat seeking missile, so you should use flares simultaneously to your bomb run. It can be quite an interesting experience seeing how those missiles are barely missing you.

when you see the white contrails of the SAM in VR, it's an experience!

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

A few weeks ago I flew a night strike into Iran in the Hornet, in the Rift. I was chased out by F-5s and had to turn around and engage. After making it through that, I got to the S-3 tanker with only 400 lbs of fuel.

I connected and it only got me to ~4000 lbs before it ran out, but that was ok, the carrier was only about 45 miles further out. I made it and boltered on my first pass. I came back around and was down to about 2700 lbs when I called the ball. As I touch down, BOOOM!

I couldn't see that there was a Tomcat sitting there in the wires.

Please get the carrier ATC sorted! :)

DEFENSOR FORTIS

Spoiler

Systems: Falcon NW Talon: Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX 3090 FE; Falcon NW Mach V: Core i7 3930K @3.2GHz, 32GB DDR3, GTX 1080 FE

Cockpit: MonsterTech MTX F, 42" 4K TV, HP Reverb G2, Oculus Rift S, PointCTRL

Controls: RS F16SGRH CE, RS F18CGRH, VPC T-50CM2, VFX, WarBRD (Grips); VPC T-50CM2, RS FSSB R3L (Bases); Winwing F/A-18C, VPC T-50CM3, VPC T-50CM, TM Warthog, Cougar (Throttles); VPC ACE2 (Rudders)

Haha, ouch.

Another reason to case 1 eh? :)

Flew the above mission again, lost my wingman, but mission accomplished and returned to base. Only took three tries to case 1 properly. Haha.

(In my defense, I got hit and had zero communications so no ICLS, was landing entirely by sight. )