Transfer of knowledge / code between HB and Eagle

Koriel

I know that HB has coded quite a few original things for their own products. The ground radar, own network code for the Tomcat Pilot/Rio and of course Jester.

HB is depended upon Eagle for the DCS code, development API's and such.

I wonder if there is an exchange of code between Eagle and HB possible? I have heard that Eagle has issues with the multi crew code and I wonder if they could use the HB code.

Just wondering, not being hampered by any knowledge. .;-)

Edited by Koriel

I was thought about that. After all DCS modules should be as similar in "standard" as possible.

I am pretty torn on this. I mean you could be like Heatblur who have implemented their own version of several features or you could be like RAZBAM who are waiting for ED to implement features for use on their aircraft. There are pros & cons to both approaches. While Heatblur might have more control over their implementation, they also have to make sure it doesnt break with each update. Meanwhile RAZBAM has not been able to develop aircraft like the AV-8B Plus & F-15E because they do not have ground radar, but once ED implements the API for ground radar RAZBAM wont have to worry about ED breaking their own code for the most part. There is just less to go wrong though they may not be able to have as much control over it as Heatblur can with their own implementation.

Modules: FC3, A-10C, M2000C, MiG-21bis, F-86F, AV-8B NA, F/A-18C, F-14A/B, F-16C, F-15E, F-4E, A-29, Eurofighter Typhoon, A-6E, MiG-23MLA, Nevada, Persian Gulf, South Atlantic, Syria, Afghanistan

Specs: Intel i7 2600K, Nvidea GTX 980, 16GB RAM, NVMe SSD, Saitek X-55, TrackIR 5, Samsung Odyssey VR

I wonder if there is an exchange of code between Eagle and HB possible? I have heard that Eagle has issues with the multi crew code and I wonder if they could use the HB code.

ED has functional multi-crew released and known to be working.

HB does not.

:huh:

ED has functional multi-crew released and known to be working.

HB does not.

:huh:

Well.. ED has apparently some issues with multi-crew code with regards to side by side/Sharing the same cockpit. HB has written their own net code because they needed better code than what Eagle could provide. And I'm not just talking net code.

Good net code is essential to get the f14 out the door so no wonder they wrote their own code as the code used in the L39 was far from perfect.

I love what heatblur do in their products, trying to provide a complete experience from the ground up and not compromising and really dislike other developers' approach to releasing incomplete modules and leaving them in that state until ED release the base code to implement more features.

More so as i pay full price for both but one of the 2 is clearly a less polished product.

However there has to come a point where multiple implementations of the same thing will become superfluous and will have to be optimized for everyones benefit.

• 2 weeks later...

The whole point was making is that HB had to overcome some deficiencies in the current ED netcode with regards to multi-crewed aircraft. If this code works, could ED implement said code as well on their own multicrewed planes? That's all..

I doubt there is any substantial code transfer from HB to ED, apart from maybe some very specific use cases that require ED to take a look at certain code snippets to provide support to HB.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

There's no "exchange" of code bar what they have to contractually do, there's no different "netcode", it's the same game and it's CLIENT-SERVER, from the core game server to all the clients.

Whether or not ED looks at third parties and how they use the core game to be creative is a completely different and interesting question. Even BST had some little touches with the gun camera before their merge.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

There's no "exchange" of code bar what they have to contractually do, there's no different "netcode", it's the same game and it's CLIENT-SERVER, from the core game server to all the clients.

HB has developed a brandew network sync layer for multicrewing though.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Well.. ED has apparently some issues with multi-crew code with regards to side by side/Sharing the same cockpit. HB has written their own net code because they needed better code than what Eagle could provide. And I'm not just talking net code.

All multi crew runs off ED net code, Heatblur have never stated they were making there own i didnt think they could.

HB has developed a brandew network sync layer for multicrewing though.

This,

From what I gather they needed a more robust system to get all the multicrew working better then with the code ED is currently using. So HB developed their own, I would surmise that it's better. SO why wouldn't ED use that code as well?

I can't find the source anymore.. I\ll look

I'd be thinking things like road bases, air-ground radar raycasting engine, jet wake buffeting or simply the walkman. There are things developed by 3rd parties that could be taken over by ED for general use to improve all modules.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

I think there are two hurdles. First is organizing the code transfer (process, contracts, compensation etc - may be the easiest to do the Belsimtek way ie. complete acquisition).

Second is that code usually is very context specific ie. created for one product or family of products. Making it work with other modules might take a bit.

SA-342 Ka-50 Mi-8 AJS-37 F-18 M2000C AV-8B-N/A Mig-15bis CA --- How to learn DCS

The Belsimtek sold the UH-1H and Mi-8MTV2 as mult-crew modules, but they failed to deliver that. I think they gave up.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D MOBO: Asus ROG STRIX B650E-E MEM: Kingston FURY Renegade 64GB DDR5 5200MHz SSD: Kingstone Fury Renegade NVME PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD 4TB GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC CASE: Cooler Master TD500 Mesh WATER COOLER: Cooler Master Master Liquid ML360 Illusion HT: TrackIR 5 VR: HP Reverb G2 V2 HOTAS: TM HOTAS Warthog RUDDER: TPR Rudder Pedals GRIP: TM F/A-18C GRIP WHEELS: Logitech G27 OS: Win 11 Pro SIMS: DCS World, Falcon BMS, IL-2 Sturmovik, MSFS2020, Arma 3, Assetto Corsa.

I purchased these modules more than 6 years ago (2013). If they didn't make mult-crew until today, I think they don't do it anymore.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D MOBO: Asus ROG STRIX B650E-E MEM: Kingston FURY Renegade 64GB DDR5 5200MHz SSD: Kingstone Fury Renegade NVME PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD 4TB GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC CASE: Cooler Master TD500 Mesh WATER COOLER: Cooler Master Master Liquid ML360 Illusion HT: TrackIR 5 VR: HP Reverb G2 V2 HOTAS: TM HOTAS Warthog RUDDER: TPR Rudder Pedals GRIP: TM F/A-18C GRIP WHEELS: Logitech G27 OS: Win 11 Pro SIMS: DCS World, Falcon BMS, IL-2 Sturmovik, MSFS2020, Arma 3, Assetto Corsa.

Sorry to continue the OT

The Belsimtek sold the UH-1H and Mi-8MTV2 as mult-crew modules, but they failed to deliver that. I think they gave up.

As far as i remember multi-crew was not in DCS as the UH-1 and MI-8 was released and it was never advertised on the ED shop(for those two modules) to have/or get multi-crew support. This was always a community wish, maybe Belsimtek said they will try to implement it(not sure, can't remember) but as far as i remember it was never an official feature for both modules. The only thing they advertised is that both modules have multi-crew positions(pilot, co-pilot...) which you can switch inbetween and that is in since day 1 for both modules.

Modules: KA-50, A-10C, FC3, UH-1H, MI-8MTV2, CA, MIG-21bis, FW-190D9, Bf-109K4, F-86F, MIG-15bis, M-2000C, SA342 Gazelle, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, F-14, C-101, FW-190A8, F-16C, F-5E, JF-17, SC, Mi-24P Hind, AH-64D Apache, Mirage F1, F-4E Phantom II

System: Win 11 Pro 64bit, Ryzen 3800X, 32gb RAM DDR4-3200, PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT Red Devil ,1 x Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe, 2 x Samsung SSD 2TB + 1TB SATA, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - VIRPIL T-50CM and VIRPIL MongoosT-50 Throttle - HP Reverg G2, using only the latest Open Beta, DCS settings

Multiplayer coop mode for crew members of the same helicopter under development for a later update.
This later update is really too late. More than half decade and no multi crew yet.

30 seconds to look up the Huey on the DCS store:

Actually i did check both modules on the ED Store before i did my post and none mentioned the sentence you quoted. :confused:

It's entirely possible that i'm just to stupid to read but if i goto the ED shop all i see is this:

Modules: KA-50, A-10C, FC3, UH-1H, MI-8MTV2, CA, MIG-21bis, FW-190D9, Bf-109K4, F-86F, MIG-15bis, M-2000C, SA342 Gazelle, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, F-14, C-101, FW-190A8, F-16C, F-5E, JF-17, SC, Mi-24P Hind, AH-64D Apache, Mirage F1, F-4E Phantom II

System: Win 11 Pro 64bit, Ryzen 3800X, 32gb RAM DDR4-3200, PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT Red Devil ,1 x Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe, 2 x Samsung SSD 2TB + 1TB SATA, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - VIRPIL T-50CM and VIRPIL MongoosT-50 Throttle - HP Reverg G2, using only the latest Open Beta, DCS settings