2.5.1 update 1 SLI cloud flicker

Did today’s update #1 resolve the cloud flicker those using SLI were reporting??

Asus ROG Maximus X Apex//Core I7 8700K @ 5.3Ghz //32GB DDR4 RAM//Asus 3090 RTX//4K monitor w/ TrackIR 5

Well..it was only due to this reason that I shifted back to 2.5 release version. Something was messed up in 2.5.1 which caused this flickering. I spent hours and hours to mitigate the problem with no luck. In the end had to uninstall 2.5.1 beta and re download the 2.5 release.

I hope the update doesnt come to 2.5 release which caused the clouds flicker. otherwise sli will be unplayable.

Currently, SLI is working like a charm in 2.5 release.

Well..it was only due to this reason that I shifted back to 2.5 release version. Something was messed up in 2.5.1 which caused this flickering. I spent hours and hours to mitigate the problem with no luck. In the end had to uninstall 2.5.1 beta and re download the 2.5 release.

I hope the update doesnt come to 2.5 release which caused the clouds flicker. otherwise sli will be unplayable.

Currently, SLI is working like a charm in 2.5 release.

What are your SLI settings? I have sli set up in 2.5.1, when I go into 2.5 release, my fps gets cut in half to 30. I’m at a loss...

Asus ROG Maximus X Apex//Core I7 8700K @ 5.3Ghz //32GB DDR4 RAM//Asus 3090 RTX//4K monitor w/ TrackIR 5

What are your SLI settings? I have sli set up in 2.5.1, when I go into 2.5 release, my fps gets cut in half to 30. I’m at a loss...

Unless you did something funky (like separate Nvidia profiles for the different DCS builds), the SLI profile is the same on both 2.5.0 and 2.5.1. Most likely you have different settings in DCS for the 2 builds. Confirm you have the same settings, and try disabling Vsync in the DCS settings (use the Nvidia settings for Vsync) and try checking "full screen" in DCS (you might need to L-ALT+Enter regardless)

This is confirmed that there is no solution for cloud flicker in 2.5.1 beta. As mentioned earlier, I had to uninstall 2.5.1 and re download 2.5 release to get the issue resolved.

I dont have the picture to attach however I will try to guide you as much as possible.

In sli section do not select the AFR1 or AFR2. choose only "number of gpus in sli render to two" and leave rest of the setting to Auto.

Sli bits DX10 and DX11 should be 0x080020F5 Diablo III, Dark souls, Ark survival evolved, Ark survival evovled, alone in the dark.........

IN DCS check full screen option and v sync.

Edited by Drag80

This is confirmed that there is no solution for cloud flicker in 2.5.1 beta. As mentioned earlier, I had to uninstall 2.5.1 and re download 2.5 release to get the issue resolved.

I dont have the picture to attach however I will try to guide you as much as possible.

In sli section do not select the AFR1 or AFR2. choose only "number of gpus in sli render to two" and leave rest of the setting to Auto.

Sli bits DX10 and DX11 should be 0x080020F5 Diablo III, Dark souls, Ark survival evolved, Ark survival evovled, alone in the dark.........

IN DCS check full screen option and v sync.

Thanks!

I've got SLI running, but as above, if I turn on v-sync in the game, my frame rate gets cut more than in half. I go from 129 fps to 49 fps. I'm running my screen at 60hz. This causes tearing and stuttering. So I turned v-sync off in-game and forced it in nVidia Inspector. Problem is, the game is not respecting the forced on in nVidia Inspector. Then, I turned v-sync off and in the game and set the frame rate limit to 60.7 fps in nVidia Inspector, the game does not respect it and runs at 120 fps with stuttering. What the heck? I too am at a loss.

Bananimal's DCS Mods and Skins

the game does not respect it and runs at 120 fps with stuttering. What the heck? I too am at a loss.

odd. I have no problem with sli/vsync (or stuttering). My settings are, in DCS: Fullscreen enabled, Vsync Off. In Nvidia Inspector: Vsync = "Force On" (or "Fast Sync" if you don't want to cap the framerates), Vsync Smooth AFR = "On", Vsync Tear Control = "Adaptive" (with 2.5.x I don't usually need to L-ALT+Enter but it sometimes helps to Force the Nvidia settings)

• 1 month later...

Ladies and gentlemen. Its time to wake up this thread. There was cloud flicker problem with sli in DCS 2.5.1 beta onwards. DCS 2.5 stable was fine. However, now that all the updates have been itegrated in stable version, the cloud flickering has also return.

If anyone finds a solution(Including myself) please post here for the help of others.

Regards,

• 4 weeks later...

So.....Sli is totally dead after the last few updates. First there was cloud flicker and now to make make matter worst, second card is not scaling at all.

DCS was awsome in SLI. Now forced to run on medium settings on single 1070.

I dont know Why they have killed multi gpu support.

:cry::music_whistling::(:mad::joystick:

• 2 weeks later...

Also got the cloud flicker in both Release and Beta . Unable to play this sim .

is it possible ``Can you turn off clouds . ??

Gigabyte - X570 UD ~ Ryzen - 5600X @ 4.7 - Pulse - RX-6800 -  XPG 32:GB @ 3200 - VKB - Gunfighter 4 - STECs - Throttle - Crosswinds Rudders - Trackir 5 .

I'm a dot . Pico Nero 3 link VR . @ 4k

Win 11 Pro 64Bit .

So.....Sli is totally dead after the last few updates. First there was cloud flicker and now to make make matter worst, second card is not scaling at all.

I still have the performance increase (scaling is working) in 2.5.2.20143 with nearly double the framerates using my SLI tweaks vs. single card BUT the cloud flicker (introduced in 2.5.1) is unbearable.

Edited by prccowboy

I've shelved my second 1080Ti for now until SlI is a truly supported technology. In DCS, Prepar3d, Ghost Recon...on and on and on, SLI causes more problems than it increases performance. Great marketing tool to get people to spend $$$ on more cards though.

Hi!

I've found a two ways (a really bad one) to disable clouds, and also the flickering:

1.- on :\DCS World\Config\Effects\clouds.lua edit:

useOPSClouds =true
useEdgeClouds =false
clouds =
{

to

useOPSClouds = false
useEdgeClouds =true
clouds =
{

This will show clouds, they will be just really ugly.

2.- To disable (completely I think) clouds rendering, on:

:\DCS World\Config\Effects\ParticleSystem2\cloud.lua

Change:

EffectRadius =400.000000,

to:

EffectRadius =1.000000,

This won't show no clouds at all. I am not sure what happens when you pass thru a cloud.

The problem seems to be linked to some low-quality rendering of distant clouds, as the nearest ones do not flicker. I did not find a way to render all the clouds in high quality (near clouds) mode. That could be the best solution.

BTW, I also found that the thing that was keeping me from being able to use SLI was activating Nvidia experience Overlay. Now I get 99% use on one GPU and around 50-70% on the other one.

Have a nice day!

Edited by Juksen

Hi!

I've found a two ways (a really bad one) to disable clouds, and also the flickering:

Juksen,

Thanks for the input. I had attempted your first method before, BUT it introduces a strange cockpit flicker (in the A-10C at least) so I gave up.

However, your second method (EffectRadius =1.000000) seems to work without causing new problems. Hopefully I can now play DCS with the SLI performance gain (albeit without clouds). Although I wish DCS would just roll back the cloud rendering to whatever they had in 2.5.0 where everything worked great with SLI

Update after update and still no fix. I'm forced to play only missions I create myself with no clouds. Campaigns I paid money for are useless. Is a shame such a modern game lacks a decent game engine seems to be stuck in the 90's.

• 4 weeks later...

So the cloud flicker is now fixed, but no matter what SLI Bits i use, i get worse performance with sli on than with two cards, if anyone has it working, please let me know how you did it

8700k @5.2ghz delided \ Asus Maxiumus XI code \ RTX 3090 FE \ 32GB DDR4 corsair vengeance RGB @3600 \ 1TB Samsung 960 pro NVME \ 1TB samsung 850evo \ 2TB WD black HDD \ MFG crosswind v2 \  Virpil WARBRD X2 Constellation Alpha L+R and Mongoose CM3 throttle \ ASUSPG348Q 100hz 34 ultrawide 

[/i]https://imgur.com/a/VjNEllM

Multiple GPUs worked just fine until 2.5.1. Cloud flicker is so annoying. Someone please fix this.

Fixed in 2.5.3.21235. No more flicker, good SLI performance

So the cloud flicker is now fixed, but no matter what SLI Bits i use, i get worse performance with sli on than with two cards, if anyone has it working, please let me know how you did it

These are the settings I use for SLI => https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3410823&postcount=65

thanks, but have you tried with sli disabled to see the performance difference?

8700k @5.2ghz delided \ Asus Maxiumus XI code \ RTX 3090 FE \ 32GB DDR4 corsair vengeance RGB @3600 \ 1TB Samsung 960 pro NVME \ 1TB samsung 850evo \ 2TB WD black HDD \ MFG crosswind v2 \  Virpil WARBRD X2 Constellation Alpha L+R and Mongoose CM3 throttle \ ASUSPG348Q 100hz 34 ultrawide 

yes i read the thread, but noted those examples were from a few patches ago, as ive said my issue is no matter which profile i use i get around 10-15 fps less than with just one card enabled.

yes i read the thread, but noted those examples were from a few patches ago, as ive said my issue is no matter which profile i use i get around 10-15 fps less than with just one card enabled.

I still get the same performance delta with the latest builds. In fact, I was forced back to a single card for a few days recently when one of my cards died. I repaired the bad card (reflow soldering) and I'm back to the same performance gains as shown in those older posts (but that's another story). Nevertheless, the experience again proved the difference in single and dual gpu SLI performance for me

Anyway, I would be willing to help you troubleshoot if you want to PM me with details of your pc build and what you have done to enable SLI (and benchmark it)

Edited by prccowboy