gtx1070 and normandy

voodooman

After trying all the different methods to get Normandy running well w/a 1070, I can get a solid 60 fps at 1080p. However, aliasing (shimmering) is really bad w/ Deferred Shading on. With it off I can pretty much eliminate it with 4x SGSS via Nvidia Inspector. Anyone noticing this aliasing issue? I'm sure it will all work out eventually with ED coming to the rescue at some point.

Not sure if we are talking about the same thing but the landscape shadows to 'flat' eliminated the flickering I was seeing on the trees and tree shadows.

Thermaltake View 91, Z390 Gigabyte Aorus Ultra, i9 9900K, Corsair H150i Pro, 32Gb Trident Z 3200, Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 2080ti, Corsair AX1200i, Warthog A-10 Hotas, MFG Crosswind pedals, TiR5 Pro, HP Reverb Pro

After trying all the different methods to get Normandy running well w/a 1070, I can get a solid 60 fps at 1080p. However, aliasing (shimmering) is really bad w/ Deferred Shading on. With it off I can pretty much eliminate it with 4x SGSS via Nvidia Inspector. Anyone noticing this aliasing issue? I'm sure it will all work out eventually with ED coming to the rescue at some point.

I get exactly the same - bad flickering on trees and particularly the hangers with the external metal scaffolding and have found no setting eliminates it. Have tried removing shadows / enabling flat shadows but to no avail. I'm running a 1070 and have good performance, 50-60 FPS but the flickering is really ugly. I've noticed on the metal scaffolding over the hangers it pops in as i get closer at a certain range, but then when I fly close over them the flickering stops momentarily when im low and directly overhead. As i move past it starts again. Wonder if it's partly to do with the lighting? I think the only setting I've not adjusted is deferred shading which I really didn't want to turn off, will give it a go.

Edited by Bounder

My PC specs: Win10 64 Pro, CPU i7-3820 4.4GHz, 16GB RAM, GPU Nvidia 1070 (8gb vram).

Controls: Microsoft FFB2, Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle, MFG Crosswind Pedals, TrackIR5.
My DCS Youtube Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/No64Bounder

Not sure if we are talking about the same thing but the landscape shadows to 'flat' eliminated the flickering I was seeing on the trees and tree shadows.

See Bounder's post, #27. Exactly the issue I'm having. He does a better job of explaining it. Thanks.

Got my 1080Ti, copied your settings and then raised the bar a bit. Plus I took DSR to crank resolution to 1440p and game gives me stable and fluent 70-120 FPS with Fast Sync. It's absolutely amazing right now, though price was "amazing" as well.

I've tried 4k but it doesnt really seem to scale well to that res for me and frames dipped below 60 which is not what I want, so for the time being I will settle with 1440p.

AMD Ryzen 5900X @ 4.95 Ghz / Asus Crosshair VII X470 / 32 GB DDR4 3600 Mhz Cl16 / Radeon 6800XT / Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSD / Creative SoundBlaster AE-9 / HP Reverb G2 / VIRPIL T-50CM /
Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Audio Technica ATH-MSR7

• 2 weeks later...

GTX970 here. Quick report back after latest update. Unlike voodooman, I still have to have shadows set to flat only in cockpit to maintain relatively stable 60FPS, at similar settings. Still Im satisfied with the performance, this is with the Spitfire which is graphically the most demanding module currently.

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

• 1 month later...

Great thread, it really helped me remove stuttering... i have a 1070 and my frame rate is above 60... sometimes drops to 50 or 45 but way better than before... i think what really helped is the Nvidia settings. i hope the map gets more optimization from ED. Big Thanks!

<---GTX 1060 user. Out of curiosity I thought I would try these settings to see if I could squeeze anything else out of 1.5, and it works...BRILLIANTLY. I will report back with 2.1 findings, but thank you OP, you've made my experience in DCS much smoother. This should be stickied for users experiencing stutter and dont know where to start (like myself). Thanks again!:thumbup:

Got my 1080Ti, copied your settings and then raised the bar a bit. Plus I took DSR to crank resolution to 1440p and game gives me stable and fluent 70-120 FPS with Fast Sync. It's absolutely amazing right now, though price was "amazing" as well.

I've tried 4k but it doesnt really seem to scale well to that res for me and frames dipped below 60 which is not what I want, so for the time being I will settle with 1440p.

Hi, I read that you're using a Fast sync, asked for your exact settings in the NCP. If I use the fast sync, I have massive stuttering.

🖥️MSI PRO Z690-A DDR4, Kingston 3600 MHz 64 Gb, i5 12600K, Gigabyte RTX 4090, Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus,🕹️VKB NXT Premium.

first off, it makes me very glad to hear that i have been able to be of help atleast to some of you :)

secondly, i been trying out different setting in Nvidia controlpanel again after the new update, and it seems that setting the prerendered frames to 1 still has the biggest positive effect.

triple buffers are more important, more often your fps drops below your screen refreshrate (with me 60Hz = 60 fps) when v-sync is enabled. alltough i seem to get slightly smoother track ir panning with it even when frames stay stable.

about the gamma correction, im not sure if it has any value to set it off anymore, but i feel the hud/sight glass has less "flaming" on it's edges when it's off, so im keeping it off.

The trilinear optimization off, i honestly don't see any benefits from it that i could point out, but no negatives either so im keeping it off as i dont use any anisotropic filtering, and that leaves the filtering to trilinear alone, so setting it off keeps it trilinear allways, instead of altering between bilinear and trilinear. i think it might help to reduce stutters sometimes, even tough im not 100% sure of it.

tried without v-sync and noticed that even tough generally i get better frames with this new build, i get these sudden fps drops to 20's! (when with v-sync it never goes that low), and my gpu clocks go down with the fps during these drops, which i find very odd.

it would suggest that cpu is bottlenecking when trying to keep higher frames, but cpu loads still never reach 100% and the drops are not there when v-sync is enabled.

so i would call it "processing bottlenecking" rather than processor bottlenecking, and i'd say it's code related more than hardware related.

i aslo noticed that the cpu cores (4) in my build get more even loads with the new build than the previous when v-sync is not enabled, especially when flying low, and with other aircraft visible.

1 core is still clearly dominant and another still slightly above the remaining 2, but the remaining 2 seem reacting more than before. propably ED is trying different things to optimize the cpu usage to get higher frames. so far it produces these drops for me, but im sure in the future we will benefit from these experiments, that's what alpha builds are for anyways.

thanks for your feedback, I keep testing with every build and report my findings.

Edited by voodooman

I guess im lucky. I only have a 1060 card and just hit the High graphic button and leave it all as is with 8x AA and 16X AF. I don't use vsync and hold around 80fps and no stutters for 2.1. The same setup in 1.57 gets 120-160fps. Setup in Nvidia CP is the default. A single screen at 1920x1080.

Buzz

• 5 weeks later...

I have a new 1080ti.

I have no real issues but willing to try these settings if there are benefits.

Has anything changed or does the Origonal settings by the OP still stand since the latest patches?

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10

latest version runs well without v-sync and with default settings in nvidia control panel, fps stays relatively high, average 90 in multiplayer and track ir reacts very fast without lag.

but panning slowly still has slight micro stutter. also looking to the side (looking at passing ground textures) i get the micro stutter. basically slow moving graphics in your field of view stutters :(

so if you dont use v-sync and use track ir so that you pan quickly to a point, and then move your pov to a new point again quickly, and you dont mind slight stutter when lookin to your sides, you're well off with default settings.

however if you like to look around panning slowly like me, and look at the beatiful scenery passing by (to your sides), the smoothest experience is still achieved with v-sync on (in game) and settings prerendered frames to 1 and enabling triple buffering (Nvidia CP).

disabling AA gamma correction at least in theory reduces some memory bandwidth usage that increases slightly from enabling triple buffering, and as disabling it doesn't have any negative effects i would disable it if triple buffers is in use.

disabling trilinear optimation keeps the work flow of the gpu more stable as it prevents altering between trilinear and bilinear filtering. i would disable it if you use triple buffering so that every frame in (all) buffers is the same.

for the same reason i suggest using "every frame" option in res.of cockpit displays(in game settings) if triple buffers is in use.

as an addition to settings posted originally you might want to try out enabling MFAA in nvidia control panel. i find that with in game AA set to 2 you get nearly level 4 AA with it, without any, or with very small performance hit.

Edited by voodooman

@Voodooman,

Thanks, I will try your suggestions. Need this guidance since I have not had an nVidia card in like 20 years.

<S>

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10

@MegOhm SD

you're welcome!

Could you post your findings with default vs my settings, mainly on the micro stutter issue when looking to your sides, and when panning around slowly with track ir? i'd like to get as much info as possible to find out causes to stutters and lag.

just a side note: as soon as airborne it is good to look around 360 degrees (180 deg both sides) with max zoom to get all the textures loaded in vram. then you know if the (possible) stutters/lags are something else than just loading textures from disk to vram.

your cpu seems faster than mine, and you are using ssd's in raid, and your card is also faster, so if you get away without stutters with default nvidia settings and w/o v-sync, i get more of an idea what is causing these stutters for me, and possibly others.

thanks! S!

@Voodooman,

Sure I will give you that feedback but it will be next week. I am traveling so away from rig for a few days.

Regards,

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have set preload radius to 100 (the absolute minimum the slider can be moved) and it seems to run just as well, if not better.

It seems to be related with loading new data when the plane has covered some distance, and my impression is that preload is not optimized. From my observations there is always a fps drop at the beginning of the mission. Then it stays stable until I have flown a kilometer or two and then the next stutter occurs. The stutters appear worse the higher the preload radius. With higher values the stutters may be less often but more pronounced.

For now, the game has to load new terrain anyway, so I dont see the advantage of loading more but less often, if thats all that preload causes.

i think the stuttering will be fixed in the next update... maybe it is related to some ground units... will give it a try without any ground unit to see if the problem persists.

I have tested with empty maps to have a baseline. With campaign missions (Epsom campaign) there is more pronounced stutter, but I am gonna tackle that next.

• 4 weeks later...

Happy to report that the latest DCS version 2.1.1.11317.285 runs very good and smooth with default Nvidia control panel settings with the latest Nvidia drivers 388.13.

The micro stutter when panning slowly or when looking to your sides flying low is gone. previously i needed triple buffering and prerendered frames set to 1 to achieve this. v-sync is enabled via game settings and seems to work as it is.

tested both single player (4 P-51's vs 4 109's) and multiplayer.

MSI Afterburber statistics of both tests in the next posts.

Settings in 1st post updated.

I find it odd that some people are still having serious issues with the latest version, ie stutters and freezes.

I dont know what is different in my end and why i get good gaming experience.

maybe because my GPU usage stays very constantly around 80% and my cpu usage doesn't peak to 100% either. i do use unpark CPU cores app that you can find here:

http://www.coderbag.com/programming-c/disable-cpu-core-parking-utility

other than that the only advice i can give is; lower your settings so that your gpu and cpu doesn't reach 100% usage during your game session, at least for the most time of it.

Edited by voodooman