Normandy Map Discussion

Lenux

could someone post a screenshot of the map view with all the (new) airfields and - if possible - an overlay to mark the high detail area?

This screenshot has been positioned to show the area that is mostly represented now, as well as the locations of the new airfields in the south and east.

A0308F791CBFD548FD999FDCFEA4BB9C3BE3E5C2

The map also goes up the coast a bit (up to about Le Treport), but it is not so usable if you go north too far from the Seine valley. There are also some airfields in the UK, really just as staging points, and not really battle areas. After all, it is the Normandy map, not Sussex map. ;)

This screenshot has been positioned to show the area that is mostly represented now, as well as the locations of the new airfields in the south and east.

A0308F791CBFD548FD999FDCFEA4BB9C3BE3E5C2

The map also goes up the coast a bit (up to about Le Treport), but it is not so usable if you go north too far from the Seine valley. There are also some airfields in the UK, really just as staging points, and not really battle areas. After all, it is the Normandy map, not Sussex map. ;)

thanks for the picture. much appreciated. seems to be quite big now...

how is flying from Barville and Evreux. Is there enough high quality terrain around to comfortably operate from there without seeing the edge of the world??

how is flying from Barville and Evreux. Is there enough high quality terrain around to comfortably operate from there without seeing the edge of the world??

Fields with the usual resolution and forests that look correctly shaped, but no paved roads, railroad tracks or other infrastructure and very few villages. So no edge of the world feeling, good enough for transfer flights or aerial combat, but not for ground attack missions.

About the night lighting: Since this map specifically ONLY models pre- and post d-day (Hence no snow season), no building at all, should have night lighting, as war time black out would be in effect.

I love the improvements, in the sense that they fixed what should have been done on first release. I still think that the colour palette is off, but I am willing to settle for the final desing aestetics. Nothing is perfect, and this is fine. However, the 'England improvements' of the hotfix are still a mystery to me, as I see no improvements whatsoever- not in field placement, forest shapes population centres or landmarks. Hoping that this will trickle in later.

The map just went from a 'C' to 'B-', which I am rather satisfied with. Better late than never.

Hello all together!

Please could someone help me? I am quite new to DCS World and bought the Normandy-Map a few months ago. But I don’t get it, how can I make an update? There is no Button or something within the Module-Manager, where I can click (I only get the Update-Search-window before starting the game - is this the window where Normandy will be updated? I have the latest version of DCS 2.5.5).

So please: how and where EXACTLY can I update the map? And how do I know, that I got it?

I appreciate any help :-)

Hello all together!

Please could someone help me? I am quite new to DCS World and bought the Normandy-Map a few months ago. But I don’t get it, how can I make an update? There is no Button or something within the Module-Manager, where I can click (I only get the Update-Search-window before starting the game - is this the window where Normandy will be updated? I have the latest version of DCS 2.5.5).

So please: how and where EXACTLY can I update the map? And how do I know, that I got it?

I appreciate any help :-)

You would need to have the open beta installed to get the update for Normandy.

If you run the stable client you´ll have to wait longer for the update to be rolled out.

You would need to have the open beta installed to get the update for Normandy.

If you run the stable client you´ll have to wait longer for the update to be rolled out.

Many thanks for your quick reply. I didn’t know that! (…but at least, I now DO know, that I’m not just too dumb to find an Update-Button :-)))

normandy map 1944 Where is the airport chart chart?

Do you search for this?

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3271307/

Smoke me a kipper I'll be back for breakfast! (Ken Gatward before his solo Beaufighter mission 1943)See vid here

HW: i7-12700K, 32 GB RAM, MB PRO Z690-A DDR4 , GTX 3080, LCD UltraWQHD (3440x1440) G-SYNC 120Hz,Tobii Eye Tracker 5, VKB Gunfighter III (KG12 WWII), MFG Crosswind, AuthentiKit Throttle & Trims, Windows 11 64-bit

• 2 weeks later...

I am a bit late but thank you for this great update. Its a pleasant surprise.

FW 190 A-8, FW 190 D-9 Dora, MiG-15bis , Mig-21bis, AJS-37 Viggen , M-2000C, F-15C, F/A-18C, F-14, Supercarrier, NTTR, Normandy+WW2 assets, Combined Arms, Persian Gulf

AMD Ryzen 2600x , ASUS Rog Strix B450-F, Corsair H100i, Corsair Vengeance 32GB 3000MHz DDR4, MSI RTX 2070 8G, ASUS Xonar DSX, Samsung EVO 970 SSD , PSU - Corsair RM750, Headtracking - EDtracker Pro Wired, 58" Screen, TM Warthog, Windows 10 64bit Home

• 1 month later...

Thank you looks great!!

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

" He who never changes his mind, never changes anything," 

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I would be interested to hear from Ugra whether they intend to make any updates to the Normandy map or not. Does anybody know? 

• Like 1

13900@5.8Ghz, Asus TUF 4090 OC, 64GB@6400mhz DDR5, 4K, TrackIR 5, Tobii, Virpil CM2, CM3
F-15E | F-16C | F/A-18C | A-10C | A-10C II | AV-8B | AH-64D |  MI-24P | MI-8 | BS 2 | UH-1H | Mosquito | BF 109 | Spitfire | P-47D | CA | SC | WWII AP

From last newsletter:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/newsletters/newsletter16072021-m1zg8x77hcp74vdy5q0n3ffqv5acjam9.html

DCS: Normandy is receiving enhancements to airfields, buildings, forests and fields. Frame-rate improvements and the Level of Detail (LOD) for objects has also been optimised. We are planning for these updates to be included in the next Open Beta.

DCS: Normandy by Ugra Media is receiving updated colour and splatmap textures for fields and buildings. Airfield textures have also been improved and multiple bugs at Evreux, Funtington, Maupertus, Saint-Laurent-sur-Mer and St. Pierre du Mont airfields have been fixed. Taxiway issues at Azeville, Barville, Evreux and Lantheuil have also been resolved.

Performance improvements when flying low over dense forest areas are noticeable. Individual tree types including; Amur Oak, Black Ash, Pine, Riverbirch and Sugar Maple are now more distinguishable and lifelike.

Edited by Silver_Dragon
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Silver_Dragon said:

Hi there,

Will these terrain textures issue be fixed? Are they aware of it? Or is it probably a terrain engine limitation?

Best regards.

• Like 1

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D MOBO: Asus ROG STRIX B650E-E MEM: Kingston FURY Renegade 64GB DDR5 5200MHz SSD: Kingstone Fury Renegade NVME PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD 4TB GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC CASE: Cooler Master TD500 Mesh WATER COOLER: Cooler Master Master Liquid ML360 Illusion HT: TrackIR 5 VR: HP Reverb G2 V2 HOTAS: TM HOTAS Warthog RUDDER: TPR Rudder Pedals GRIP: TM F/A-18C GRIP WHEELS: Logitech G27 OS: Win 11 Pro SIMS: DCS World, Falcon BMS, IL-2 Sturmovik, MSFS2020, Arma 3, Assetto Corsa.

+1. Any review on the update?

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

13 hours ago, Hotdognz said:

I see no difference in the map, looks the same to me texture wise, what did they update, comparison pics would be nice so we can see the changes.

I may be wrong, but is it possible some of the fields got striations to look cultivated? Also, some of the runway textures look less clean, with more colour differences in them.

Annnnd maybe I just haven't flown the map in a while and don't know what's going on. :hmm:

Some of the planes, but all of the maps!

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/22/2021 at 5:25 AM, Hotdognz said:

I see no difference in the map, looks the same to me texture wise, what did they update, comparison pics would be nice so we can see the changes.

Nor do I. Comparing screenshots taken today in the current open beta, with those taken a year ago, show no difference. Same oversaturated colors.

I think the wording of the announcement is confusing. They're saying the Normandy map "is getting" a major update, but this appears in a newsletter released in concert with an update. Just not the update the blurb refers to. Hopefully something is still forthcoming. It's my least flown map due to it's bizarre color palette.

• Like 1