Using the CBU-97

Xtacy

I understand if BA is not settable yet in day 1 EA...but it seems like the set BA of 500 feet is broken.

If I drop bombs on targets at sea level, they work fine...but if the target is around 500 ft ASL or above...no damage occurs to the targets. AFAIK BA should be the setting for AGL.

I dropped the CBU-97 on targets at 30ft ASL and it did not do any damage to them. :dunno:

It works fine with the A-10C, so must be something wrong with the F-16 and not with the weapon itself.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

I'm having a blast with the 97s. We can't change the BA yet, but I still get a lot kills in one pass with the 97s like I used to in the A-10. Too bad the Navy never bought them. The 105s were also my favorite when I used to fly the A-10.

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

I dropped the CBU-97 on targets at 30ft ASL and it did not do any damage to them. :dunno:

It works fine with the A-10C, so must be something wrong with the F-16 and not with the weapon itself.

I think it's launch speed - if you drop the bombs at too high a speed then the bomblets hit the ground before they have a chance to pop. ED should set the height to 900ft or so as the default (until we can change it ourselves), should be much more reliable then. I see the same thing at low level - if I drop them at 500kts, then the hit the ground before popping, but if I drop at 350kts they work fine.

You want to drop them when you are flying as level as possible, if you try and drop them while diving on a target they will hit the ground before going off.

I dropped some in a CCRP drop from 20kft and they still hit the ground before going off, it's not as simple as dive vs level drop. Pretty sure the speed you / the bomb is going is what's deciding whether it pops or hits the ground.

I've been having a great time with that weapon, it's hilariously destructive. I tried tossing them and dropping them in a dive but they don't work, as others mentioned it seems they hit the ground too fast.

Dropping them from 2k ft at around 350-400knots seems to work very well. Hopefully burst altitude will be fixed at some point, tossing 10 of these into enemy area will be rather interesting.

I think it's launch speed - if you drop the bombs at too high a speed then the bomblets hit the ground before they have a chance to pop. ED should set the height to 900ft or so as the default (until we can change it ourselves), should be much more reliable then. I see the same thing at low level - if I drop them at 500kts, then the hit the ground before popping, but if I drop at 350kts they work fine.

Interesting, will try slower speeds then. That sounds like a bug though, or is that really realistic that the bomblets just smash into the ground if the dispenser is launched at higher speed?

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

CBU's are function as intended there is no bug however they are set to a burst altitude of 500ft. This is used for low altitude passes at high rates of speed. I have had tremendous success starting my IP at 10nm hitting full AB at 2000 ft and delivering munitions around the 550 to 600 knts range. With a spacing of 999FT (the max allowed) two CBU-97's will cover .5 x .3 nm area with tremendous effects. this works on all maps.

Kahsab PG

6xcbu97_999ft_spacing_PG.jpg

Kobileti CA

6xcbu97_999ft_spacing.jpg

Tonopah Airport NV

6xcbu97_999ft_spacing_NV.jpg

all runways are 1.5 NM long 6xCBU-97's Ripple 6 Spacing 999ft Dropped from 2000FT AGL around 600 KNTs.

The following is Shiraz International Airport's Main Apron, 1 pass, 10xCBU-97, Spacing 999ft, Ripple 10, Dropped form 2000ft AGL at 600knts.

run.png

from this testing it is very clear that they are functioning appropriately for the intended employment however it will be very nice when i can change the Burst Altitude to be able to employ these from 30'000 FT. Current suggested use, conduct a SEAD strike and take out radars with SU-25T's or F/A-18C's then run in with two vipers at 2,000 ft AGL .3-.5nm horizontal separation and drop to your hearts content. Hope this helps folks! Got to say it may be lacking for dog fighting right now but I am cleaning house A2G!

Discord: SSG HALO#1394

Modules: A-10C, AJS-37, Black Shark 2, M-2000C, UH-1H, F-16C, F/A-18C, L-39, AV-8B, FC3, F-5E, F-14B, P-51, Mig-29, Persian Gulf, Nevada, Normandy, Combined Arms.

Edited by SSG_HALO

Modules: A-10C, AJS-37, Black Shark 2, M-2000C, UH-1H, F-16C, F/A-18C, L-39, AV-8B, FC3, F-5E, F-14B, P-51, Mig-29, Persian Gulf, Nevada, Normandy, Combined Arms.

Damn, that's even more effective than the Viggens BK90s, although they don't have to overfly the target.

Edited by QuiGon

Tornado3 small.jpg

• ED Team

Hi all

We have a tweak coming for CBU HOF possibly in the next update

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Hi all

Woop woop!

giphy.gif

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

I wiped out almost 2 platoons of AFVs with one pass using the 16. Works for me.

May well work fine using your delivery method. But try CCRPing them from 20k... they just fly into the dirt.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

May well work fine using your delivery method. But try CCRPing them from 20k... they just fly into the dirt.

Yeah, never ran it that way, so who knows? I tend to not use CCRP, though I get the usefulness of it. Never tried it before using LGBs.

Questions are a burdon, and answers a prison for one's self.

CBU's are function as intended there is no bug however they are set to a burst altitude of 500ft. This is used for low altitude passes at high rates of speed. I have had tremendous success starting my IP at 10nm hitting full AB at 2000 ft and delivering munitions around the 550 to 600 knts range. With a spacing of 999FT (the max allowed) two CBU-97's will cover .5 x .3 nm area with tremendous effects. this works on all maps.

Kahsab PG

6xcbu97_999ft_spacing_PG.jpg

Kobileti CA

6xcbu97_999ft_spacing.jpg

Tonopah Airport NV

6xcbu97_999ft_spacing_NV.jpg

all runways are 1.5 NM long 6xCBU-97's Ripple 6 Spacing 999ft Dropped from 2000FT AGL around 600 KNTs.

The following is Shiraz International Airport's Main Apron, 1 pass, 10xCBU-97, Spacing 999ft, Ripple 10, Dropped form 2000ft AGL at 600knts.

run.png

from this testing it is very clear that they are functioning appropriately for the intended employment however it will be very nice when i can change the Burst Altitude to be able to employ these from 30'000 FT. Current suggested use, conduct a SEAD strike and take out radars with SU-25T's or F/A-18C's then run in with two vipers at 2,000 ft AGL .3-.5nm horizontal separation and drop to your hearts content. Hope this helps folks! Got to say it may be lacking for dog fighting right now but I am cleaning house A2G!

This is awesome, I was having fun with the smart CBU's but I had no clue you could spread them out so much.

Thanks for the heads up!I'm gonna have a "blast" in PVE MP now..lol

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Hi all

This is Hotel as Sierra dealwithit.png

But I guess setting that up ourselves via Kneeboard will take a little longer, have been waiting for that for over a year in case of the Hornet rainbowdashwink.png

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

Interesting, will try slower speeds then. That sounds like a bug though, or is that really realistic that the bomblets just smash into the ground if the dispenser is launched at higher speed?

You guessed it right, that is as in real life - from all the few we're allowed to know, it's still classified stuff after all.

We are still missing the dispenser altitude opening setting, for what I can see, so let's just hope to get a fix soon.

With best regards.