Limiting AI weapon employment

Pizzicato

Hey guys,

I was having some trouble getting the AI to employ SLAMS effectively, so I created a super-simple mission - 1 F/A-18 with a pair of SLAMS versus an SA-10 site that's set to the GREEN state (i.e. not ready).

The Hornet fires both SLAMS at the target group (using the SEAD tasking and the Attack Group action), which is great. Unfortunately, it then decides to follow up with multiple strafing attacks with the cannon, which is decidedly less great. :(

I've tried setting the Attack Group parameters to:

• WPN: -ASM
  • REL QTY: All
  • MAX ATTACK QTY: 1 (with the Check Box ticked)

Nothing seems to work, though. The AI always follows in after the SLAMS and goes gunzo against the SAM site. :doh:

Any ideas on how to get the AI to stick to guided missile attacks, or is this a legitimate bug?

Mission and screenshot attached.

Test Caucasus SLAM.miz

Capture.PNG.14b4e4f5afc2db505846b392a61141d6.PNG

Edited by Pizzicato

i7-7700K @ 4.9Ghz | 16Gb DDR4 @ 3200Mhz | MSI Z270 Gaming M7 | MSI GeForce GTX 1080ti Gaming X | Win 10 Home | Thrustmaster Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Oculus Rift S

The enroute task for the group is SEAD. Now if your "Attack Group" task is finished the group AI will continue with the enroute task with what weapons remain, as described in the game manual... no bug, simply following orders.

To achieve a stand off attack only, you can either delete the enroute task - or the dirty work around - try removing the gun ammo for the AI planes.

I agree though, the concept of SEAD gun runs is not a sound one.

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Adding to shagrat's post (and I want to specifically second to always delete the default task), there is an option for RTB on out of ammo. You can set that option and pick the missiles. Once they are launched, the launching aircraft should turn around and go home. One thing to note is that if their weapon requires support to the target, it won't get it with this method. I know player SLAM needs guidance but I don't know how it's modeled with the AI.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

Thanks for the really clear, concise responses Shagrat and Exorcet. That's really helpful info. Much appreciated. :thumbup:

i7-7700K @ 4.9Ghz | 16Gb DDR4 @ 3200Mhz | MSI Z270 Gaming M7 | MSI GeForce GTX 1080ti Gaming X | Win 10 Home | Thrustmaster Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Oculus Rift S

Just had the chance to check it out, and it worked perfectly. Thanks again, guys.