Rift S Users - Performance Increase

scarface03

Hey all, not sure if this has been posted but I recently came from x-plane and there is mod over there to force ASW at 27fps.

This is similar to forcing ASW on at 40 fps using the Oculus tray tool however, at forced 27fps it super-imposes 2 out of the 3 frames instead of 1 out of 3 like it does with forced 40fps.

I should mention, this still feels like you are running at 80fps when enabled

Anyway, with this enabled in DCS, I can run at all high settings and Supersampling at 1.9 and it looks an runs amazing. (Granted I'm on a 2080ti and i79500k) The only caveat is you have to enable each time after you load up DCS.

If you are interested in trying this out for yourself, here is how you enable ASW forced at 27fps.

1. Open OculusDebugToolCLI as administrator here:

C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-diagnostic\OculusDebugToolCLI.exe

2. Type in the following command and hit enter:

server:asw.clock30

3. Verify you get the enabled message "Simulated 30 Hz display enabled"

You should now see your frames forced at 27. Start increasing settings and enjoy :)

I haven't noticed any artifact yet at all. I have played 7 missions so far at 27hz. I will say with the latest Oculus update, I am not getting as good as performance as I was. Hoping they roll it back or fix it soon. If you haven't updated to Oculus firmware v12, don't.

I haven't noticed any artifact yet at all. I have played 7 missions so far at 27hz. I will say with the latest Oculus update, I am not getting as good as performance as I was. Hoping they roll it back or fix it soon. If you haven't updated to Oculus firmware v12, don't.

Yeah well Oculus does not really give one a choice on whether to update or not.

For me I am really not having any obvious issues with V 12.

As far as refresh rate, I could not imagine going that low. 72 Hz on my Quest is about as low as I would want to go. I do feel like I am more prone to motion sickness with my Quest (72Hz) than with my Rift S (80 Hz).

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Good tip to know. It works with Rift CV1 (more "natively" than with Rift s in sense that enabling 30Hz ASW gives 30Fps with CV1 instead of 27 with Rift s).

Of course it gives more ASW artifacts than with a 45Hz ASW, so it's a personnal preference in relation with system's performances - I prefer 45Hz ASW with much less artifacts.

And replacing 30Hz by 60Hz in the command line doesn't work. First step working is half refresh rate (45).

BTW thanks Scarface03 for the tip.

• 5 months later...

Thanks for the tip....Ran it as advertised. Using the latest beta with a 1080Ti/M.2 SSD spec box. In places where I would normally experience greater than 27FPS, it was a noticable degradation of quality for me.

Thanks for posting your findings, I wish ED would optimise the sim for us

• 2 weeks later...

based on your reports, I look forward to trying it out this weekend

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

Cool! However, will this create even more ASW artifacts and ghosting?

Most likely indeed.

In fact I would say anytning below 40 native is below my threshold to tolerate.

I have and tested the Pimax 5k at 32, and it was simply not enjoyable.

i7 8700k @ 4.7, 32GB 2900Mhz, 1080ti, CV1

Virpil MT-50\Delta, MFG Crosswind, Warthog Throttle, Virptil Mongoost-50 throttle.

i think the problem with this though is you lock your Rift to that for anything you play. So things you may have better fps with because they are more optimized will now have less

You can use Oculus tray tool and setup profiles

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Valve Index 🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, Virpil Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

Most likely indeed.

In fact I would say anytning below 40 native is below my threshold to tolerate.

I have and tested the Pimax 5k at 32, and it was simply not enjoyable.

Yep I can tolerate ASW of 40 fps and to me really still looks pretty good. Drop much below that and is a no go for me.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

For me this works flawless, no artifacts and the 27 fps feels actually smoother then the 40 fps.

Even in mp, it never felt so smooth tbh.

Spoiler

Modules: FC3, KA-50, MIG-21, F-18, F-14, UH-1H, Spitfire, F-5E, A-10c II, A-4E, SC, F-16, CA, M2000c, BF-109K-4, Mi-24P

Terrains:Nevada, Persian gulf, Normandy + Asset pack, Syria

PC setup:I7 8700k, 32g ram, m2 ssd, gtx 1080ti, Warthog TM, MFG crosswind, Playseat Air Force, Reverb G2

I tend to fly instant action or custom made air-to-air dogfight missions which typically only have 2 to 8 aircraft, so I can fly vr fairly well without this kind of trick. But in multiplayer or in certain missions that require a lot more horsepower, I have to turn a lot of settings down.

A particular instant action mission I use as a benchmark for judging if my settings are good enough for multiplayer is the MiG-15bis instant action dogfight over Normandy. The Normandy terrain is not particularly kind on performance, but this is a high altitude fight with lots of aircraft on both sides and contrails everywhere. With high settings, I get a slide show. Even with setting dumbed down as low as I am willing to go, the fps can get low.

So, I tried this MiG-15bis mission with this 27fps override. I am impressed. It doesn't solve everything, but I can run the settings up much higher including shadows and mostly maintain the 27 fps steady. There can be some ghosting, but it seems like a lot less than with 40 fps. I expected the 27 fps to look choppy when rolling at high rates. I can easily judge refresh rates from 30 to 45 to 90 by how they look at max roll rates. I am impressed. 27 fps would normally look like a slide show to me, but this looks almost as smooth as 45 fps. Overall, I can enjoy this mission a lot more with higher quality and fairly steady 27 fps rather than at low quality and an unsteady 40 fps.

I just wish DCS World could be optimized to for multi-core so that rock solid 80 fps would be possible at max settings... because Aerofly FS 2 is utterly amazing in VR with its photoreal world at a locked steady 80 fps with max quality settings. Of course, they have no AI of any kind unless you get a mod for the Florida Keys, and the terrain is 100% texture based: no waves or wakes, just hi res photos. But I so badly want to see DCS World run at that level and do so with a headset that has a full, natural field of view and pixels so small I can't see them. One can only dream.

In the mean time, I have to choose between quality and fps to enjoy DCS World in VR. Or be bored flying circles with no one to dogfight in Aerofly FS 2.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

So, I did a follow up test, where I played the exact same mission with the exact same settings, but turned ASW off. With ASW off, my frame rates had three stable points: 70-80, 40-42, and 27-28, so Oculus is obviously doing some kind of VSYNC that I don't have turned on via the game or the gpu driver. Playing with ASW off did sometimes have a slight stutter, but for the most part, it looked as good as playing at a steady 27 fps. More importantly, virtually no ghosting. So over the next few days, I am going to start playing with ASW off and see how that does in the missions I typically play offline as well as in multiplayer. If it gets ugly, I will try 27 fps again. But I suspect my best bet would be to play with ASW off and my settings lowered for speed. Staying at 40 to 80 fps with no ghosting would be better for me than having shadows and hi res terrain textures.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Played again with my previous low quality/high fps settings mixes with ASW off: for dogfighting this is the way to go. I didn't see stuttering or ghosting, things just look a little uglier when I stop to sight see.

I think the 27fps setting would be better for non-combat missions where you are more focused on the map/ground objects rather than rapid pitching/rolling/turning in a swarm of aircraft.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 3 weeks later...
How do you turn it off if you dont like this once enabled?

Just reload DCS, it is stated in OP.

Regards

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Phoenix

F-16C

i7-8700K, Z370, 32GB DDR4-2400MHz, GTX 1080, FSSB R3L, TM Warthog HOTAS, MFD's, Windows 10 Pro, Oculus Rift S

How do you turn it off if you dont like this once enabled?

Or just press rctrl + numpad 4

Spoiler

Modules: FC3, KA-50, MIG-21, F-18, F-14, UH-1H, Spitfire, F-5E, A-10c II, A-4E, SC, F-16, CA, M2000c, BF-109K-4, Mi-24P

Terrains:Nevada, Persian gulf, Normandy + Asset pack, Syria

PC setup:I7 8700k, 32g ram, m2 ssd, gtx 1080ti, Warthog TM, MFG crosswind, Playseat Air Force, Reverb G2

• 1 year later...

I found ASW to 30Hz in OTT means I can maintain High Textures and MSAA x2 for the Apache in Syria and Marianas.

All my other modules are OK with 45Hz even in Syria, but the Apache (though I appreciate WIP) is a hog and I was reducing texture and MSAA initially to make it stop stuttering.

I tried 30Hz and it's fine without any real compromise of visual

Fractal Define R4 Case | Core i7-9700K @ 4.9GHz| 64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Wifi | Gigabyte RTX3080 Gaming OC 12GB | 250GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD (OS) | 1TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD (DCS) | 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD (Steam library) | 1TB WD Caviar Black HDD | Corsair 750W Gold PSU | Corsair H60 Hydro Series CPU Cooler | [TrackIR 5 unused] | Meta Quest Pro | TM HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals | Win 10 Home 64-bit | Asus PG348Q 34" 3440x1440 Monitor | Bose Companion 3 2.1 Sound