why should the stick be held backward during taxi?

as above. She does not have a lockable tailwheel, or am I off the grid?

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

i think its about doing everything you can to keep her tail on the ground because of her massive prop. keep the tail pushing on the ground. especially when its being hit by prop wash.

so yank back on the stick till you are half way down the runway and want the tail to come up.

My Rig: AM5 7950X, 32GB DDR5 6000, M2 SSD, EVGA 1080 Superclocked, Warthog Throttle and Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Oculus Rift.

It does have, however, a geometry with rotation axis slanted forward, thus creating a little bit of centering effect. The stronger the wheel pushes against the surface, the stronger the effect is (well, not enough to actually "lock" it, but it helps a little).

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

I think its moot.. I usually taxi at walking pace never exceeding 50 km/h ������������

Keep in mind, that the propwash going over your tail moves much faster than your taxi speed.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

it also a matter of plumage :)

a peacock struts with his tail feathers raised.

so put the cock back in cockpit and flaunt your tail feathers.

especially in multiplayer.

My Rig: AM5 7950X, 32GB DDR5 6000, M2 SSD, EVGA 1080 Superclocked, Warthog Throttle and Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Oculus Rift.

I think its moot.. I usually taxi at walking pace never exceeding 50 km/h ������������

with that unsaid, I might find it useful during setting up the invisible compass. The one that drives people nuts when wanting to see where the heck youre going, lurching inside the cockpit, hell baby curling and scooting to the sides...

She indeed is a sensitive plane, the hardest I have come across in all regimes compared to the 109 or the Piffty One...

would it be possible to have a feature like the kneeboard for the compass, it shows the compass but it also allows one to make adjustments to the compass while it being showed in kneeboard mode?

Win 10 Pro 64bit | Half X F/T Case | Corsair 1200AT ps | Asus ROG Maximums XIII Extreme | I9 11900K Clocked@4200 | Nepton 240 W/C | 64GB DDR4-3600 Gskill Mem | Asus 3080 gpu/8gb | SB-Z audio | Asus 32" 1440 Monitor | Winwing Super Tauras/Super Libra | Crosswind R/P | Track-ir-5 |

would it be possible to have a feature like the kneeboard for the compass, it shows the compass but it also allows one to make adjustments to the compass while it being showed in kneeboard mode?

I noticed in your sig the crosswind pedals. How do you apply brakes in the Spit? Its not a bad idea to have it as a pop up like the new GNS420. True it would kill immersion unless it can be exported to other screen or to helios (which either I dont have).

I noticed in your sig the crosswind pedals. How do you apply brakes in the Spit?

You can fake a kind of "toe brakes" for Spit assign both pedal brakes for "Wheel brakes" and tune the axes curves, and use pressing brake pedal and moving the rudder bar for same side, a bit awkward (2 simultaneous movement with foot) but fill the need for "toe brakes" of some.

You can fake a kind of "toe brakes" for Spit assign both pedal brakes for "Wheel brakes" and tune the axes curves, and use pressing brake pedal and moving the rudder bar for same side, a bit awkward (2 simultaneous movement with foot) but fill the need for "toe brakes" of some.
I assigned both pedals to the brake axis. TC

Win 10 Pro 64bit | Half X F/T Case | Corsair 1200AT ps | Asus ROG Maximums XIII Extreme | I9 11900K Clocked@4200 | Nepton 240 W/C | 64GB DDR4-3600 Gskill Mem | Asus 3080 gpu/8gb | SB-Z audio | Asus 32" 1440 Monitor | Winwing Super Tauras/Super Libra | Crosswind R/P | Track-ir-5 |

That's simply the way to taxi any taildragger (in no-wind or headwind conditions).

If you have to add power, e.g. when turning, or when braking you simply don't want to even slighlty increase the tendency to nose over.

Furthermore it's the most comfortable position to hold the stick during taxiing.

Exactly. If DCS ever adds realistic wind, most of you wil need to learn about which way to move the controls during taxi turns to keep the plane from flipping over.

TWC_SLAG

Win 10 64 bit, 2T Hard Drive, 1T SSD, 500GB SSD, ASUS Prime Z390 MB, Intel i9 9900 Coffee Lake 3.1mhz CPU, ASUS 2070 Super GPU, 32gb DDR4 Ram, Track IR5, 32” Gigabyte curved monitor, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Pedals, Voice Attack, hp Reverb G2.

well here is the thing, I mapped them before as you described but found it really awkward. On my warty I mapped brakes to the paddle switch on stick and unmapped them. Now I taxi more or less a bit cosily.

Yes, is more easy just tap a button on joystick grip and move the rudder bar for brake right or left wheel than press the pedal and move the rudder at same time, but some people think that only "toe brakes" is brakes. :)

Edited by Sokol1_br

Yes, is more easy just tap a button on joystick grip and move the rudder bar for brake right or left wheel than press the pedal and move the rudder at same time, but some people think that only "toe brakes" is brakes. :)

You know if I get my hands on a VKB MCG or other analog brake sticks it would be irrelevant this thread. Unfortunately my warty can not have a third analog axis.

• 1 month later...

I use the paddle switch for intermittent braking, using the W command, "Wheel Brakes" as in the real thing, but also use the TMS Up and Down buttons to control "Wheel Brakes Increase" & "Wheel Brakes Decrease", to allow me to set the position of the brake lever to any position for either full parking brake or just a little. A quick touch of the brake lever releases the brakes from this setting immediately. It works quite well imo.

I use the paddle switch for intermittent braking, using the W command, "Wheel Brakes" as in the real thing, but also use the TMS Up and Down buttons to control "Wheel Brakes Increase" & "Wheel Brakes Decrease", to allow me to set the position of the brake lever to any position for either full parking brake or just a little. A quick touch of the brake lever releases the brakes from this setting immediately. It works quite well imo.

I was just going to add that tip about the wheelbrake increase/decrease command.

I have it mapped to the CMS Fwd/Back but wherever is comfortable for you. It's also a great way to apply the brakes during landing once rudder authority has decreased to zero, a quick flip and the brakes are on.

As a virtual pilot, I understand the "Haul it Back" brigade but as mentioned it's not necessary and IMHO makes little difference.

I don't even have the stick back on take off, following YoYo's advice and the Spit flies herself off without any problem.

Action on the rudder can get quite busy, but apart from that no problem

Aside from keeping the tail down in general during taxiing, the more weight on the tail wheel the better it stayed straight:

Full Thread here: Engine Boost Control + Ground Handling

Excerpt:

Ground Handling

Tail Wheel Castering

Tail wheel, currently in game the aircraft's tail wheel behaves like a shopping cart; in that is has reduced or no centering force to bring the tail-wheel aligned under the fuselage centerline. So what is happening in sim, the aircrafts tail refuses to stay behind the main wheels even when centered, and no external force is added (Power applications or wind)

In real life, while it is true the tail wheel is free-castering that is not the full story. The tailwheel design has a built in weight and geometry centering. I will do my best to describe it here with images and words.

The first is the weight/geometry holding the tailwheel centered. The axis that the tail wheel rotates through horizontally is on a tilted plane. Unlike say a shopping cart where the wheel rotates in a plane parallel with the ground, the wheel has a high point and a low point in its travel.

What this means is for the tail wheel to move from its centered position, there needs to be enough side load to compress the tail wheel oleo strut to effectively raise the tail. As the contact patch of the tail wheel rotates to say 180 degrees to centreline, the angled plane mean the wheel is in a "lower" position that when it started from its trail position. (See next picture) Please note that the image is showing the tail wheel oleo uncompressed, ie no weight on the wheel (and also those sweet sweet photoshop skills)

This means the tail wheel has oleo compression force centering the tailwheel once there is forward movement. Ontop of which any elevator and prop blast forces needed to be added to this as well.

z7s5XX4.png

The other centering force thats acting on the tail wheel is simply the wheels axis is behind the yawing axis/horizontal plane. This trail force naturally makes the tail wheel want to be behind the rotating (castering) axis due to friction.

What this means in practice with the above two scenarios, is as the aircraft starts rolling forward the tail wheel naturally wants to allign itself with the center line of the fueslage. However in game, we currently have a tailwheel that wonders around aimlessly. It however does feel like it has some centering force as ground speed increases and elevator loads hold the tail wheel to the ground. But its at the slow speeds where the tail wheel should have a little bit more natural centering force. Once the aircraft is at a walking pace, brakes should only be required to turn the aircraft, not keep it straight (in a zero wind scenario)

I'm still wondering if ED actually modeled this.

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

I originally modded the FM\FMOptions.lua file for the spit to alter the friction of the tail wheel castor via this

tailGearAxleFricM0f = 35.0 -- Original 11.0

...amongst other things.. which improved it for me at least.

Also these, the top one making it less like a power ball bounce:-

tailGearSpringForceFactor = 11000000 .-- Original 17000000

tailGearStaticForce = 6000 -- Original 3000

I have the Crosswind pedals too. I use the either pedal applies brakes method because it is analogue (incremental control) whereas the joystick lever is digital (Fully on or off only).

The pedals can be awkward until you get used to them, but they give far more subtle and precise control than an on off button can.

I'm looking forward to getting hold of a VKB joystick with the analogue lever too of course.

I have the Crosswind pedals too. I use the either pedal applies brakes method because it is analogue (incremental control) whereas the joystick lever is digital (Fully on or off only).

The pedals can be awkward until you get used to them, but they give far more subtle and precise control than an on off button can.

I'm looking forward to getting hold of a VKB joystick with the analogue lever too of course.

I use the analogue lever on my VPC stick , works very well. I used to have assigned to both Crosswind pedals but like the lever better.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|